Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Getting back into SS - recommendations for city commuting / cruising around town?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Getting back into SS - recommendations for city commuting / cruising around town?

Old 06-29-20, 03:26 PM
  #1  
DrewShannon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 94

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting back into SS - recommendations for city commuting / cruising around town?

Well, it's been over 7 years since my last post here, and now that it's beautiful summer weather here in SoCal, I'm looking to get back into the Single-Speed world.
  • 34 year old dude, will be commuting about 2 miles each way once the quarantine is over. I'm 6' and 180lbs.
  • Speed and long-distances aren't super important to me. Mostly looking for something fun and comfortable to ride to the beach (probably something with a fairly relaxed geometry and upright riding posture)
  • I'm open to doing some mods myself, but not looking for a project bike to endlessly fiddle with
  • Budget - $500 - $750
I've owned a few BikesDirect bikes, and am open to buying a Kilo WT or something, but I haven't been paying attention much over the last few years, so I'm not sure if the story has changed.

Thanks!
DrewShannon is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:43 PM
  #2  
Senrab62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewShannon View Post
Well, it's been over 7 years since my last post here, and now that it's beautiful summer weather here in SoCal, I'm looking to get back into the Single-Speed world.
  • 34 year old dude, will be commuting about 2 miles each way once the quarantine is over. I'm 6' and 180lbs.
  • Speed and long-distances aren't super important to me. Mostly looking for something fun and comfortable to ride to the beach (probably something with a fairly relaxed geometry and upright riding posture)
  • I'm open to doing some mods myself, but not looking for a project bike to endlessly fiddle with
  • Budget - $500 - $750
I've owned a few BikesDirect bikes, and am open to buying a Kilo WT or something, but I haven't been paying attention much over the last few years, so I'm not sure if the story has changed.

Thanks!
Welcome back! The WT is a good package, and I have considered one for a bike to handle larger tires. It's rumored that the geometry is the same as the steamroller. It's a solid package for the price IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Senrab62 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 08:51 PM
  #3  
acoustophile
Senior Member
 
acoustophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I would get a kilo Wtt, change out the tires to 38c's, and throw a raised moustache bar on it.
acoustophile is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 05:40 AM
  #4  
funbuffalo24
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 38

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
BianchiUSA has the Gitane Citilink frames in 58cm right now for $100 plus shipping in Black or creme. It's basically a rebadged San Jose frame, which is the same geometry and frame material as their cantilever Volpe, but with track dropouts. I ordered two and shipping was an additional $89 for fedex ground. So, $200 for the frame and you still have $300+ for the buildout.
funbuffalo24 is offline  
Likes For funbuffalo24:
Old 06-30-20, 08:11 AM
  #5  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,275
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile View Post
I would get a kilo Wtt, change out the tires to 38c's, and throw a raised moustache bar on it.
Sounds like a good plan to me!
TugaDude is offline  
Old 06-30-20, 11:03 AM
  #6  
DrewShannon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 94

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senrab62 View Post
Welcome back! The WT is a good package, and I have considered one for a bike to handle larger tires. It's rumored that the geometry is the same as the steamroller. It's a solid package for the price IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Originally Posted by acoustophile View Post
I would get a kilo Wtt, change out the tires to 38c's, and throw a raised moustache bar on it.
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me!
Thanks all, glad to hear that BikesDirect still gets high marks!

Originally Posted by funbuffalo24 View Post
BianchiUSA has the Gitane Citilink frames in 58cm right now for $100 plus shipping in Black or creme. It's basically a rebadged San Jose frame, which is the same geometry and frame material as their cantilever Volpe, but with track dropouts. I ordered two and shipping was an additional $89 for fedex ground. So, $200 for the frame and you still have $300+ for the buildout.
Thanks! I'm somewhat tempted, but unfortunately don't have the know-how to wrench on my own bike at the moment. Are there any resources you'd recommend I check out to start getting up to speed so I can rethink this at some point in the future?
DrewShannon is offline  
Likes For DrewShannon:
Old 06-30-20, 11:15 AM
  #7  
jack pot 
Fxxxxr
 
jack pot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: falfurrias texas
Posts: 391

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
buy an unabused used > SURLY or ALL CITY or WABI or whatever looks right >>> you get more bike for the buck
__________________
... and so it goes
jack pot is offline  
Old 07-01-20, 06:47 AM
  #8  
funbuffalo24
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 38

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora elite, '01 Jamis Quest, '97 Trek Y3, '87 Bianchi Sport SX, '96 Bianchi San Remo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
DrewShannon, as far as to recommendations a quick google search can be of an immense help. Googling Santa Monica just now it looks like there's a place called the 'bike whisperer' in Venice that does repairs, builds, and reuse of parts. I'd look to see if you have a local community bike nonprofit that would let you come in and wrench on your bike or teach you how to repair your bike for a small annual fee. I know we have one here with a full workshop and although I have every tool imaginable to repair a bike, I still spend the $34 annually to support the good guys here. I'm also jealous of your locale; I remember living in Malibu almost 18 years ago on a 3 month work assignment, and bombing up and down Malibu canyon rd to the park and smoking brake pads on the descent with a stop at Malibu Castle to cool off before the last two miles home, though I hear it burnt to the ground in the '07 fires.
funbuffalo24 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.