Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Carbon bars

Old 07-18-21, 05:59 PM
  #1  
Jeffoutlaw
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Coastal North Carolina
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Carbon bars

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with carbon bullhorns on steel frame bikes. I put carbon bullhorns on my Fuji Feather and it feels great. Anyone have opinions on mixing carbon parts on steel bikes.


Jeffoutlaw is offline  
Likes For Jeffoutlaw:
Old 07-18-21, 07:02 PM
  #2  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 329 Posts
Nothing wrong with mixing the two materials. It seems kind of silly for couple reasons:

- carbon bars are best suited to a weight weenie bike, and steel is the last material you should look to for such a bike
- steel is usually chosen for its low cost, and carbon is what you get when cost is your least concern

With that said, I think you should do whatever tickles your fancy. There are no laws prohibiting such a combo. Bike actually looks kind of cool, just needs some tape on the grip areas of the handlebar. How does it ride?
Broctoon is offline  
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 06:00 AM
  #3  
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful
 
Fugazi Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Saitama, Japan
Posts: 5,503

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon View Post
- carbon bars are best suited to a weight weenie bike, and steel is the last material you should look to for such a bike
- steel is usually chosen for its low cost, and carbon is what you get when cost is your least concern

Gotta respectfully disagree with you on a few points.

High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy.

Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what itís intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.

I would say that steel can sometimes be the low-cost, heavier option, but high quality steel frames ride wonderfully and are very competitive weight-wise. Assuming a high level of quality, I would personally choose steel over every other frame material pretty much every time because I like the ride quality.

Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike donít strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, itís going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and itís going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO. I currently have a carbon fork on my steel lo-pro and will be adding other carbon parts in the foreseeable future, including some integrated bars, seatpost, and rims.
__________________
Yo. Everything Iím doing is linked on Whatís up with Dave? but most of note currently is Somewhere in Japan.
Fugazi Dave is offline  
Likes For Fugazi Dave:
Old 07-19-21, 09:00 AM
  #4  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 532 Posts
Be sure to respect any torque specifications on clamp tightening. Carbon fiber parts tend to be less forgiving of excess torque and tightness.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-19-21, 09:39 AM
  #5  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy...

...Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what it’s intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.
You're not wrong.


Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
I would say that steel can sometimes be the low-cost, heavier option, but high quality steel frames ride wonderfully and are very competitive weight-wise. Assuming a high level of quality, I would personally choose steel over every other frame material pretty much every time because I like the ride quality.
These are fair points.

I was speaking generally, and not in terms of the exceptions (high end, light weight steel frames; and lower cost or extra beefy carbon bars).

In spite of its name, the OP's Fuji Feather is no featherweight. Usually, steel is chosen because of its low cost. Carbon bars are typically much more expensive (and a little lighter) than aluminum ones. So I stand by my assertion that steel frames and carbon components make strange bedfellows, while stopping short of discouraging anyone to combine them. Nothing wrong with it, just doesn't make much sense usually.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-19-21 at 11:09 AM.
Broctoon is offline  
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 09:45 AM
  #6  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 3,952

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 3,726 Times in 1,782 Posts
That bike is such a mish-mash of oddities that a CF handlebar fits right in with the rest.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-19-21, 10:01 AM
  #7  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike donít strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, itís going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and itís going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO.
I hope you post pics of this bike once it's complete. Sounds like a pretty cool concept.

If I had the money and garage space for more bikes, I'd love to build up a Keirin frame. But I would spec it with parts like you see on real race bikes: 36 spoke wheels, a Sugino or DA square taper crank, etc. Wouldn't insist on NJS stamps, because the only time you get any benefit from those is when you're actually trying to enter a Keirin race. But otherwise, I'd want it look as close as possible.

I'd also love a really light frame in high-end steel (or in aluminum, titanium, or carbon). I'd put all the carbon and titanium parts on it I could find. Integrated bar/stem could be cool, along with carbon crank, super light wheels, etc.
Broctoon is offline  
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-19-21, 10:58 AM
  #8  
Jeffoutlaw
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Coastal North Carolina
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
The bike rides great. The stem is torqued to the manufacturer specified 4nm. This bike is my Frankenstein bike for trying out different setups. I'm planning on getting a Wabi or possibly locating a Cinelli in the future based off of my final setup of my Fuji Feather. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Jeffoutlaw is offline  
Likes For Jeffoutlaw:
Old 07-19-21, 08:40 PM
  #9  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 970

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
Gotta respectfully disagree with you on a few points.

High-end steel can be extremely light. Like with this bike, which is 5.2kg for the complete build and 1.24kg for the unpainted frame alone. Granted, this is an extreme example, but steel bikes need not be heavy.

Nor does carbon necessarily mean lightweight. Depending on the application and what itís intended to endure, carbon frames and parts may be quite beefy and not as light as you might expect.

I would say that steel can sometimes be the low-cost, heavier option, but high quality steel frames ride wonderfully and are very competitive weight-wise. Assuming a high level of quality, I would personally choose steel over every other frame material pretty much every time because I like the ride quality.

Personally, carbon parts on a steel bike donít strike me as odd at all. When I get a new keirin frame, itís going to be tricked out with all kinds of carbon parts and itís going to be lovely. The combination of contemporary high-tech carbon and a classic steel frame is great, IMO. I currently have a carbon fork on my steel lo-pro and will be adding other carbon parts in the foreseeable future, including some integrated bars, seatpost, and rims.
I was going to disagree too, but his point isn't steel can't be light, it's that weight weenies aren't looking for steel frames because carbon is typically lighter. Plus given the price range, those people would buy a $1200 carbon frame vs a $1200 steel or alloy.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Old 07-19-21, 08:43 PM
  #10  
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan
 
Jax Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 970

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffoutlaw View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with carbon bullhorns on steel frame bikes. I put carbon bullhorns on my Fuji Feather and it feels great. Anyone have opinions on mixing carbon parts on steel bikes.


Nothing wrong with it, makes a steel frame a bit lighter. Kinda like restomodding a car.
Jax Rhapsody is offline  
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 07-23-21, 05:15 PM
  #11  
Jeffoutlaw
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Coastal North Carolina
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I changed the stem and switched to a front brake with a top lever and added a little bit of bar tape.

I shortened the stem. Changed the brakes to a top lever front brake only. And added a little bit of bar tape on the horns. The steel frame and carbon bars soak up the road vibrations almost completely.
Jeffoutlaw is offline  
Old 07-23-21, 11:15 PM
  #12  
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius
 
Broctoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Muskrat Springs, Utah
Posts: 1,310
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 329 Posts
Solid!
Broctoon is offline  
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-21, 05:09 AM
  #13  
bykemike 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 934

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 62 Posts
Nice seatpost to Jeff, what brand? Is it a vintage piece?

I like that style of handle bars with the flatish "hover" section. I spend a lot of riding time with my hands in just that spot.
__________________
"ready to navigate"
bykemike is offline  
Likes For bykemike:
Old 07-28-21, 12:58 PM
  #14  
Murukai
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I am actually looking into modernizing my vintage bike as well and you have me wondering about carbon fiber now.
Murukai is offline  
Likes For Murukai:
Old 07-28-21, 01:31 PM
  #15  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,637
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 1,420 Times in 826 Posts
Very nice. My favorite bike is similar: a fixed-gear 2005 Specialized Langster with aluminum everything, including frame, fork, wheels, bullhorns, and aero clip-on bars. Pretty light, and very comfortable for 5-hour-long rides in northern Baltimore County (except for the bigger hills, of course).
Trakhak is offline  
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-29-21, 07:53 AM
  #16  
Jeffoutlaw
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Coastal North Carolina
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Bykemike the seat post is original. The bars are super comfortable. I've done a few 20 mile rides on them with no issues whatsoever.
Jeffoutlaw is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.