Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track bikes faster then geared bikes?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track bikes faster then geared bikes?

Old 09-26-21, 10:48 AM
  #1  
AJW2W11E
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Track bikes faster then geared bikes?

Track bikes faster than geared bikes?
I donít race that much actually, but once in a while, when I am really warmed up, I like to give it a go. My bike seems to have a lot of zip, and can hold its own against high end geared bikes and fast riders .
My big disadvantage is that with one flimsy hand brake and two skinny pads going down steep long hills I tend to be careful .. .
Hit a temporary road sign last month in the bike lane and I still have scars . I am thinking I love my track bike, but itís just not the type of bike to be going really fast downhill at high speed .
AJW2W11E is offline  
Old 09-26-21, 03:09 PM
  #2  
Rolla
Gyro Captain
 
Rolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,299

Bikes: 4 Singlespeeds, 2 Gearies

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 604 Posts
Too many variables to say. Depends on the course and which bikes you're comparing. Steep climbs and fast descents don't really play to a fixed-gear's strengths.

But it's also a false dichotomy -- what about a non-fixed singlespeed? At a local 24-hour mountain bike race a few years ago, a singlespeed team won the overall and one of their members also posted the fastest lap time. But that still doesn't mean a singlespeed is always going to be faster than a geared bike.
Rolla is offline  
Old 09-26-21, 03:53 PM
  #3  
AJW2W11E
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla View Post
Too many variables to say. Depends on the course and which bikes you're comparing. Steep climbs and fast descents don't really play to a fixed-gear's strengths.

But it's also a false dichotomy -- what about a non-fixed singlespeed? At a local 24-hour mountain bike race a few years ago, a singlespeed team won the overall and one of their members also posted the fastest lap time. But that still doesn't mean a singlespeed is always going to be faster than a geared bike.
Good answer. Forget to add my geometry is a bit more unstable then those newer geared bikes. Going downhill on a turn is always a time to be cautious.
AJW2W11E is offline  
Old 09-26-21, 05:06 PM
  #4  
Senrab62 
It's the little things
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 586

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 83 Posts
Generally, I am faster on a multiple geared bike. Even my 3 speed fixed, although by far heaviest bike I own, I am faster than with one speed. Not always, but most of the time. Certain sectors, I might be quicker fixed, usually with lots of climbing or elevation.

Last edited by Senrab62; 09-26-21 at 06:53 PM.
Senrab62 is offline  
Old 09-26-21, 06:46 PM
  #5  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,509

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 184 Posts
Yes. Track frames contain the exotic rare earth element Speedium, which makes them inherently faster than geared bikes.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-27-21, 09:27 AM
  #6  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,047

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E View Post
My bike seems to have a lot of zip, and can hold its own against high end geared bikes and fast riders ..
Actually, it's you that are holding your own against faster riders, not the bike! Over diverse terrain and wind conditions, the flexibility of a geared freehub/freewheel bike is generally faster. Flat with consistent wind? Maybe the track bike.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Old 09-27-21, 09:30 AM
  #7  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,201

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Liked 1,367 Times in 922 Posts
The "laboratory of the road" seems to favor multi-speed bikes, but we only have about a century of data so far.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Old 09-27-21, 08:38 PM
  #8  
sdimattia
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NY
Posts: 228

Bikes: Wabi Classic, 2022 Trek Domane AL, 2001 Trek 6700 WSD, 8bar Krzberg v7, Surly Cycle Truck

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
In the most optimal conditions with the most optimal bike setup, a bike is only ever as fast as its rider . . . Gears just provide a continued optimal bike setup in less than optimal conditions.
sdimattia is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 06:16 AM
  #9  
aniki
Senior Member
 
aniki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
I only ride fixed on the road. Usually with several other riders all on geared bikes. Some are faster than me and some are slower.
The only time they lose me is on long fast descents; trying to maintain 180rpm for too long is a ball-ache so I usually just leg-brake or hand brake and wait until it's flat again to catch everyone up.
Overall I would say that riding fixed you are at a mechanical disadvantage; based on power numbers I would be riding with a faster group altogether if I rode gears on the road but I ride for fun and social etc. so I just do what I enjoy most.
-
Just as an aside, I've seen plenty of people trying to ride fixed or more specifically, 'track' frames on the road and they usually have way too much weight over the front. This makes descending much more difficult than it needs to be! Move the centre of gravity back 20mm or so and all of a sudden they have much better control....
aniki is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 10:43 AM
  #10  
AJW2W11E
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aniki View Post
I only ride fixed on the road. Usually with several other riders all on geared bikes. Some are faster than me and some are slower.
The only time they lose me is on long fast descents; trying to maintain 180rpm for too long is a ball-ache so I usually just leg-brake or hand brake and wait until it's flat again to catch everyone up.
Overall I would say that riding fixed you are at a mechanical disadvantage; based on power numbers I would be riding with a faster group altogether if I rode gears on the road but I ride for fun and social etc. so I just do what I enjoy most.
-
Just as an aside, I've seen plenty of people trying to ride fixed or more specifically, 'track' frames on the road and they usually have way too much weight over the front. This makes descending much more difficult than it needs to be! Move the centre of gravity back 20mm or so and all of a sudden they have much better control....
Got to agree. Iím used to the geometry now, but I remember in the beginning hitting my pedals in sharp turns and trying to avoid a poodle making a sharp turn and landing in gravel. But I still love my Pista!
AJW2W11E is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 04:28 PM
  #11  
TheRealDrPhil
2+1+0=1
 
TheRealDrPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 14

Bikes: Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62 View Post
Generally, I am faster on a multiple geared bike. Even my 3 speed fixed, although by far heaviest bike I own, I am faster than with one speed. Not always, but most of the time. Certain sectors, I might be quicker fixed, usually with lots of climbing or elevation.
How does a three-speed fixed work? If the gears are in the hub, how does the hub change gears in both directions of chain motion (a defining element of a fixed gear bike)?
TheRealDrPhil is offline  
Old 09-29-21, 04:51 PM
  #12  
Senrab62 
It's the little things
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 586

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRealDrPhil View Post
How does a three-speed fixed work? If the gears are in the hub, how does the hub change gears in both directions of chain motion (a defining element of a fixed gear bike)?
Definitely a fixed gear bike. 3 speeds. Sturmey archer S3X hub. Not the first of it's kind either, SA made somenother multiple speed fixed gear hubs in the 40s and 50s. If engaged, can pedal backwards, though this is not recommended for longevity.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/asc.html

Edit: Uses a indexed gear shifter, can be bar end mounted, or on downtube boss as I use it. They also made handlebar mount thumb shifter as well.
Senrab62 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.