Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Black Campy track cranks

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Black Campy track cranks

Old 11-15-21, 09:49 AM
  #1  
sebasbike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Black Campy track cranks

Hey,

Looking for black campy track cranks... does anybody know if they ever made them ? was only able to find something about a collab with mash +5 years ago and those im guessing are incredibly hard to find.

someone once told me that you could anodize a regular pair, dont really know if this is a thing or where it could be done.

thanks for your time!
sebasbike is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 11:09 AM
  #2  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
Why Campagnolo cranks? If you want good cranks that are also blingy but in black Sugino 75DD is a nice way to go. I have them I love them, they look good and perform quite nicely as they use an external B.B. vs. square taper. Not hating on Campagnolo they make generally nice stuff but I never really here great stuff on their track cranks, usually nothing bad but no real raving about them.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 11:24 AM
  #3  
sebasbike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I have a pair of 75s. Just really like the fluted campys.
sebasbike is offline  
Old 11-15-21, 05:35 PM
  #4  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
Originally Posted by sebasbike View Post
I have a pair of 75s. Just really like the fluted campys.
Oh you are talking vintage...ahhhh I see you probably aren't going to find them in black at all. I don't recall them doing anything in black and I haven't seen anything in internet searching however with some paint you could add some paint to the fluting on an old crankset.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 09:32 AM
  #5  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,366
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by sebasbike View Post
Hey,

Looking for black campy track cranks... does anybody know if they ever made them ? was only able to find something about a collab with mash +5 years ago and those im guessing are incredibly hard to find.

someone once told me that you could anodize a regular pair, dont really know if this is a thing or where it could be done.

thanks for your time!
As far as I know, unless they did a "one off" for someone they never offered their fluted cranks in a black finish. Not that I've seen anyway. I own several sets of the old Campagnolo cranks, all silver.

In order to have them made black, you'd first have to remove the anodizing, oven cleaner works for this. Options from there would include powder coating and anodizing I guess. You have to make sure to remind and remind them not to allow any coating to get into the threads. The threads can be chased afterward, but try to not have it become a problem in the first place. I don't know if you could get any other coatings like DLC or PVD as an option. Maybe some here knows. Those would be really durable though.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 09:40 AM
  #6  
sebasbike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
As far as I know, unless they did a "one off" for someone they never offered their fluted cranks in a black finish. Not that I've seen anyway. I own several sets of the old Campagnolo cranks, all silver.

In order to have them made black, you'd first have to remove the anodizing, oven cleaner works for this. Options from there would include powder coating and anodizing I guess. You have to make sure to remind and remind them not to allow any coating to get into the threads. The threads can be chased afterward, but try to not have it become a problem in the first place. I don't know if you could get any other coatings like DLC or PVD as an option. Maybe some here knows. Those would be really durable though.
Honestly great reply man. Sounds like it's a huge effort. Should just keep using my sugino 75 and done.
sebasbike is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 01:57 PM
  #7  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 118 Posts
Years ago I actually gave a 2nd thought to the black modern production Campag Pista crank from MASH SF so I can't keep myself from commenting. It would have gone so nice with a frame I was riding back back then but I came to my senses and bought an ordinary silver set that I am still using.

So for ****ngigglez I just checked and it turns out that at some point in time at least one fluted one existed...

https://kuromoribikeco.com/products/...nt=25298229769

^^^and FWIW that looks like a pretty cool store.

But I was kinda looking forward to you doing a set yourself so let me give you a helping hand
https://www.wikihow.com/Anodize-Aluminum

Have fun - good luck...
IAmSam is offline  
Old 11-16-21, 06:30 PM
  #8  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 24,207

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked 2,650 Times in 1,541 Posts
I'm not aware that Campagnolo ever offered a black track crank, but some aftermarket companies offered Campagnolo components anodized in various colors.

Campagnolo did offer BMX components anodized silver, light blue, and gold, but not black. Those are the only factory color-anodized Campagnolo components I'm aware of. The cranks used the same 144mm BCD forging die that was used for the road and track cranks, so there's no reason why they couldn't be used as a track crank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
camp-bmx.jpg (45.8 KB, 60 views)
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-16-21, 07:17 PM
  #9  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
So for ****ngigglez I just checked and it turns out that at some point in time at least one fluted one existed...

https://kuromoribikeco.com/products/...nt=25298229769

^^^and FWIW that looks like a pretty cool store.
It doesn't look black it looks like poor lighting and even says Polished Chrome but almost has a gold hue in that light. Still really cool stuff, their restos and panto stuff is real pretty and do want.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 11-17-21, 12:58 PM
  #10  
Retromod
Newbie
 
Retromod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I have a set of fluted Brick Lane Bikes Super Pista cranks on my Nagasawa. I basically ordered them as a last resort during covid shortages. Iím amazed at how good they look on the bike. Would post pictures but newbie.
Retromod is offline  
Old 11-18-21, 07:08 AM
  #11  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
I'm not aware that Campagnolo ever offered a black track crank, but some aftermarket companies offered Campagnolo components anodized in various colors.

Campagnolo did offer BMX components anodized silver, light blue, and gold, but not black. Those are the only factory color-anodized Campagnolo components I'm aware of. The cranks used the same 144mm BCD forging die that was used for the road and track cranks, so there's no reason why they couldn't be used as a track crank.
It goes without saying that the MASH black Campag Pista cranksets from a while back were not factory items. Was it a collabo? Did they do it on their own?
Oh yeah the anodized Campagnolo mountain bike stuff is very cool. I think there was even other groups than the one you posted but I can't remember if they had colors.


Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
It doesn't look black it looks like poor lighting and even says Polished Chrome but almost has a gold hue in that light. Still really cool stuff, their restos and panto stuff is real pretty and do want.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there - if you look/ed around Kuromori's site it is easy to find plenty of silver bits and there's no poor lighting in those pics that makes their color look strange and what it says is "Available in Polished Chrome," which it also was. You know what? They even had a black current-style Campagnolo Record Pista crank with a different logo than MASH SF's? But I think I figured out the trouble with that site - everything is 'Sold Out."

Ride safe...
IAmSam is offline  
Old 11-19-21, 07:03 PM
  #12  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 11,452

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 1,924 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
It goes without saying that the MASH black Campag Pista cranksets from a while back were not factory items. Was it a collabo? Did they do it on their own?
Oh yeah the anodized Campagnolo mountain bike stuff is very cool. I think there was even other groups than the one you posted but I can't remember if they had colors.




I'm going to have to disagree with you there - if you look/ed around Kuromori's site it is easy to find plenty of silver bits and there's no poor lighting in those pics that makes their color look strange and what it says is "Available in Polished Chrome," which it also was. You know what? They even had a black current-style Campagnolo Record Pista crank with a different logo than MASH SF's? But I think I figured out the trouble with that site - everything is 'Sold Out."

Ride safe...
Fair dinkum but it still doesn't quite look black but everyone's monitor is different I guess.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 11-23-21, 12:19 PM
  #13  
Retromod
Newbie
 
Retromod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12

Bikes: Nagasawa. Stratos. Panasonic.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts


The BLB Super Pista cranks on my Nagasawa. Pretty inexpensive but well built and non too shabby.
Retromod is offline  
Likes For Retromod:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.