Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Can you reuse the KMC missing link several times?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Can you reuse the KMC missing link several times?

Old 12-15-21, 05:34 PM
  #1  
AJW2W11E
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Can you reuse the KMC missing link several times?

My KMC chain needs a bath. Usually I roll it off the Chain ring and dangle the loose part it in a bottle of cleaner. This time I would like to take it off totally. They say you can only use the Missing Link once. Once you detach it, you need a new one. But they cost so much you might as well buy another brand new chain. Is it true you can use or connect the Missing Link once?

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 12-15-21 at 07:27 PM.
AJW2W11E is offline  
Old 12-15-21, 05:37 PM
  #2  
grizzly59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I think there are 2 versions, one is reusable, and one is "one use only", or some such.
grizzly59 is offline  
Old 12-15-21, 05:47 PM
  #3  
darkhorse75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
For singlespeed you can connect and disconnect at your pleasure. One missing link for the life of one chain.
darkhorse75 is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 06:17 AM
  #4  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 93 Posts
I do...
IAmSam is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 07:24 AM
  #5  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 269 Posts
They can be re-used, yes. But as mentioned above there are some that are one-use only. The others can be used 3 to 5 times according to KMC. Check out the page below.

https://www.kmcchain.com/en/series/c...8s-7s-6s-speed

Last edited by TugaDude; 12-16-21 at 07:27 AM.
TugaDude is offline  
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-16-21, 07:49 AM
  #6  
Moles
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It seems they have a few different designs....

In addition to the three they show on their site, I've got a fourth type that was on the last two 1/8" KMC chains I bought. It's got an outer plate with two holes (not the long slot as pictured on the "single speed" page on the KMC site) and you seat the pins by flexing the chain slightly while pushing the plate on. I'm still not sure if it's reusable or not - I've figured out how to clean the chain while it's dangling from the chain stay anyway.
Moles is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 08:25 AM
  #7  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Moles View Post
It seems they have a few different designs....

In addition to the three they show on their site, I've got a fourth type that was on the last two 1/8" KMC chains I bought. It's got an outer plate with two holes (not the long slot as pictured on the "single speed" page on the KMC site) and you seat the pins by flexing the chain slightly while pushing the plate on. I'm still not sure if it's reusable or not - I've figured out how to clean the chain while it's dangling from the chain stay anyway.
I suspect, based on their website, that they'd say that link is non re-useable. The "missing link" seems confined to KMC's multi-speed chains. And of course we can use the 3/32" multi-speed chains on SS and FG, but they are still considered multi-speed chains.
TugaDude is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 08:44 AM
  #8  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
I suspect, based on their website, that they'd say that link is non re-useable. The "missing link" seems confined to KMC's multi-speed chains. And of course we can use the 3/32" multi-speed chains on SS and FG, but they are still considered multi-speed chains.
Jeebus...

https://www.kmcchain.us/Single-Speed...tors_c_52.html
IAmSam is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 09:37 AM
  #9  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
Not sure what your point is. If it was to point out my mistake, then I guess you succeeded. Congratulations! The 1/8" single-speed connector shown is non re-usable according to the text.
  • KOOL Connecting Link for Heavy Duty Use
  • Non-Reusable
  • Perfect Combination w/ K710 & K710SL Series chains
TugaDude is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 10:07 AM
  #10  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Not sure what your point is. If it was to point out my mistake, then I guess you succeeded. Congratulations! The 1/8" single-speed connector shown is non re-usable according to the text.
  • KOOL Connecting Link for Heavy Duty Use
  • Non-Reusable
  • Perfect Combination w/ K710 & K710SL Series chains
Ok, keep up the good work. Ride safe...
IAmSam is offline  
Old 12-17-21, 02:58 AM
  #11  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,330
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 379 Posts
I reuse them on any chain with quick links and I don't care what is or is not recommended. Never had one fail but I do always carry a spare.
Lazyass is offline  
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 12-17-21, 10:31 AM
  #12  
drlogik 
Senior Member
 
drlogik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,531

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 172 Posts
I'm one of those people that tends to believe a company's recommendation on how to use their product, especially if they offer two different versions of the same product, a single-use version and a re-usable version. Especially if it can adversely affect my safety, but that's just me.
drlogik is offline  
Likes For drlogik:
Old 12-18-21, 02:48 AM
  #13  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,330
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 379 Posts
I'm one of those people who don't needlessly blow money.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 11:32 AM
  #14  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 23,428

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,135 Posts
Master links are really only required for riveted chains, for eight or more sprockets on a derailleur equipped bike. Chains for fixed gear/track bikes (1/8" width) are pinned together and can be opened at any place, using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out and rejoined by pushing the pin back in place. A master link on such a chain is only a convenience, not a requirement.

N.B. older 3/32" wide derailleur bike chains are also pinned and don't need a master link, but only work with seven or fewer sprockets.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 11:56 AM
  #15  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,019

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
I reuse them on any chain with quick links and I don't care what is or is not recommended. Never had one fail but I do always carry a spare.
Me Too... But Rats... Now I'm a thinking I better investigate this further. I use ChiCom made quick links that I buy five pair at a time. Really I have only had to replace them when I drop them in the grass and the grass gremlins take off with them. I now wonder which ones are best rather than most convenient...




Is this one of those subjects we have beat over before? What is the most reliable and safest "Quick Link / Master Link"?
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)

Last edited by zandoval; 12-18-21 at 12:08 PM.
zandoval is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 01:44 PM
  #16  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,595

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Master links are really only required for riveted chains, for eight or more sprockets on a derailleur equipped bike. Chains for fixed gear/track bikes (1/8" width) are pinned together and can be opened at any place, using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out and rejoined by pushing the pin back in place. A master link on such a chain is only a convenience, not a requirement.

N.B. older 3/32" wide derailleur bike chains are also pinned and don't need a master link, but only work with seven or fewer sprockets.
This is not the case with chains such as the KMC K1SL, which have mushroomed pins that cannot be reconnected.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 03:51 AM
  #17  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,330
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
Me Too... But Rats... Now I'm a thinking I better investigate this further.
If you have the proper tool to remove them they'll be fine. The manufactures have to protect themselves from people who try to get them off with a pair of pliers or screwdriver or something and then reuse it with a bent side plate or damaged pin. Then try to sue or give bad reviews when their chain flies off and they claim it made them crash.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 07:44 AM
  #18  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
This is not the case with chains such as the KMC K1SL, which have mushroomed pins that cannot be reconnected.
Uh-oh...this information kinda distresses me. I am a long time K810SL, which has become the skinny KMC K1SL, user. And I need another chain. I have broken and rejoined 810SL's a bunch of times - being careful not to push the pin completely out ala JohnDThompson's way. It is a pain thus my also using and reusing a couple of the quick-link style with a separate clip shown in the middle of zandoval's illustration. It has never been a problem but now you got me trying to compare the pins of both old and new versions of my chain and in stock google machine pics - they look the same. Should I be concerned about my other bike wearing a KMC K810SL that has been (mis?)treated this way at least a couple of times?

Ride safe
IAmSam is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 08:30 AM
  #19  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,595

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
Uh-oh...this information kinda distresses me. I am a long time K810SL, which has become the skinny KMC K1SL, user. And I need another chain. I have broken and rejoined 810SL's a bunch of times - being careful not to push the pin completely out ala JohnDThompson's way. It is a pain thus my also using and reusing a couple of the quick-link style with a separate clip shown in the middle of zandoval's illustration. It has never been a problem but now you got me trying to compare the pins of both old and new versions of my chain and in stock google machine pics - they look the same. Should I be concerned about my other bike wearing a KMC K810SL that has been (mis?)treated this way at least a couple of times?

Ride safe
Well, I canít say that it absolutely wonít work, because Iíve never tried. The problem is not pushing the pin all the way out, which BTW is NOT what JDT is doing, but reinserting the pin into the plate where it was removed. The pin is mushroomed at the ends after assembly at the factory, which causes it to enlarge the hole in the plate when it is removed. Reinserting the pin results in further enlargement and deformation of the plate, leading to a less than optimal connection. I suggest you test your chain by holding it at the reconnection point with both hands on either side and flexing it sideways as you might do to loosen a tight link, and seeing if it holds together. If it stays together, then it is probably safe to continue using that chain.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 09:58 AM
  #20  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Well, I can’t say that it absolutely won’t work, because I’ve never tried. The problem is not pushing the pin all the way out, which BTW is NOT what JDT is doing, but reinserting the pin into the plate where it was removed. The pin is mushroomed at the ends after assembly at the factory, which causes it to enlarge the hole in the plate when it is removed. Reinserting the pin results in further enlargement and deformation of the plate, leading to a less than optimal connection. I suggest you test your chain by holding it at the reconnection point with both hands on either side and flexing it sideways as you might do to loosen a tight link, and seeing if it holds together. If it stays together, then it is probably safe to continue using that chain.
but...but...but...
using a chain tool to push the pin most of the way out

Anyway - I am going to double-check it...and rethink how I handle those chains too
IAmSam is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 11:34 AM
  #21  
SpedFast
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: West Coast
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts


I use and reuse the first type here from Zandoval's post repeatedly on all my bikes from 12spd to 22spd and even old MTB's. Some have been on and off at least 24 times and only get replaced when the grass demons run off with them (per Zandoval). I knew there was something strange lurking in the lawn that stole bike parts. Now it's been confirmed. Thanks for the pics
SpedFast is offline  
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-19-21, 12:23 PM
  #22  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,595

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam View Post
Anyway - I am going to double-check it...and rethink how I handle those chains too
FWIW, I just checked the instructions that came with my K1SL Wide Chain (formerly K710SL), and it states "For your own safety, do not reuse chain pins after removal." It also designates the MissingLink Connector as "NON-REUSABLE."
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 12-20-21, 09:29 AM
  #23  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 445 Posts
I just donít take the chain off until itís ready to be retired. I clear dust and dirt off with a paper towel or chain brush after most rides and then use Boeshield when it sounds like it needs it. Eventually I take it off and replace it. Seems simple and itís working well.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 12-21-21 at 07:50 PM.
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-21-21, 06:08 PM
  #24  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,019

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 403 Posts
Man... Were not we just talking about this. I have reused my links as long as I can remember. In fact I did not know there were links you were not supposed to reuse. I musta put the MoJo on cause today at removing my chain I dropped the link on the concrete and on picking it up noticed a missing pin. Its an old SRAM but who knows?


__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 12-21-21, 07:32 PM
  #25  
SpedFast
Just Pedaling
 
SpedFast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: West Coast
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
Man... Were not we just talking about this. I have reused my links as long as I can remember. In fact I did not know there were links you were not supposed to reuse. I musta put the MoJo on cause today at removing my chain I dropped the link on the concrete and on picking it up noticed a missing pin. Its an old SRAM but who knows?


Them little grass thieves are coming right up on the concrete now? At least they only took a small piece of it.
SpedFast is offline  
Likes For SpedFast:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.