Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   How aggressively do you ride? (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/185011-how-aggressively-do-you-ride.html)

str8flexed 03-30-06 10:25 PM

How aggressively do you ride?
 
Today I was goin at it pretty hard (FOR ME). It was a slight downhill so I could go fast, I was goin in the opposite lane at times when it was clear, I was going on the divider line to pass cars when they were going slow, and I was weaving in and out of cars a bit... but only for a couple minutes. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't do it again until I got a helmet.

Do you stay on the bike lane and the right lane?

abeyance 03-30-06 10:29 PM

I used to play in traffic drunk at Auburn football games, going for more beer and cigs for the people I was tailgating with. I don't do it anymore. Ahhh to be young and to have health insurance.....

sr20det 03-30-06 10:33 PM

someone on BF once said:
red lights are merely suggestions.

Ready to Ruck 03-30-06 10:38 PM

I'm in the right lane always, unless I am downtown, then I'm generally ;eft of that lane, passing buses. Sometiems I end up in the leftmost lane. yeah I don't signal, never do. I just change lanes if I'm going faster than the car that I'm changing lanes in front of. sometimes I pull into major roads from side streets too close for most drivers' comfort. I bust every red light. I have memorized most of the light sequences for all the roads I generally ride often so I can bust red lights safely. um, yeah I'm generally a jerk riding but drivers don't seem to get pissed so I guess they tolerate me well. I don't really do that riding in the opposite lanes stuff. sometimes.. but only in dowtown when I need ot get to the east side; only some streets cross to the east side, some abruptly end because a highway divides downtown from the east side. So, I have to ride against the flow sometimes.
bike lanes are rarely swept, and alot of times don't continue on the road after you cross an intersection. Merging into the right lane from a bike lane is too dangerous so I stick in the right lane the majority of the time.

...

Fugazi Dave 03-30-06 10:58 PM

Depends on my mood, the conditions, what's going on, etc. Sometimes I'll go so far as to take alleys to avoid main roads because I don't feel like dealing with anyone. Other days I'll start slapping the sides of cars that get too close, bombing intersections, etc.

bobdanger 03-30-06 11:01 PM

usually very, but not careless-its almost mandatory in the city-btw cars parked and moving- and fast too- im not cutting peeps off, most drivers are cool-ish and dont honk too much-i stop when needed and try not to go against the flow- i wave to cars that let me blow intersections too.

mrkott3r 03-30-06 11:07 PM

traffic usually moves too quick in my town, to really ride in the centre lanes. I have done it occassionally when the opportunity arose, but its rare and it really freaks out drivers here. Which I guess is a good thing

DoshKel 03-30-06 11:18 PM

If there is a bike lane... I use it.

If not, I am usually in the middle of traffic passing on the left and right, or just riding along with the cars. If they speed up to like 35 -40... I usally get to the right so they can pass me.

I'm pretty offensive, but not stupid about it. I know I weigh less than a car... and I use that so I can weave and pass at the right time.

fieldrecordings 03-30-06 11:19 PM

Reasonably aggressive though sometimes stupid aggressive I guess. I think bobdanger is right in saying that city riding almost calls for it. I don't like to stop much & my trackstands suck so knowing light timings, traffic patterns at certain intersections etc. is worth the effort, conscious or not. Sometimes the right lane is too tight, too filled with car doors, peds & people turning so I split the lanes. There's one particular street that I always go down the wrong way, mostly to avoid other crappier streets around there. Generally I try to make sure people know I'm there & try not to barge into lanes/intersections or cut people off w/o notice. Giving the courtesy wave makes me feel good too, even if people aren't looking.

humancongereel 03-30-06 11:20 PM

normally a mixture of "not aggressive" and "a little more aggressively than i should ride". my default lane is th right lane/bike lane. but--especially downtown--i play in traffic, and when i've mastered one level of risk, i take a few more. like the other day, trying to beat the max (portland's commuter train) probably wasn't something i would have done two weeks ago. and now riding between lanes and going up one ways the wrong way and dodging cars stuck in traffic at reds and dodging buses in the bus lane...that's all old hat now.

i run most reds. i'd run them all if i felt more comfortable with my ability to tell how fast cars were coming and if the distance was safe, if only in the sense of safe in that they can slam on their brakes quickly.

marqueemoon 03-30-06 11:23 PM

I take it pretty easy for the most part when riding fixed. It's more fun to haul @ss on my road bike.

Ken Cox 03-30-06 11:44 PM

I live in a town of about 70,000 people that still has a small town atmosphere.
People I know professionally often remark about seeing me riding around town.
Politically and socially it seems smart, to me, to ride like a good neighbor.

I know, or suspect, a lot of people enjoy the anonymity, or depend on the anonymity of a big town to cover certain aspects of their lifestyle, including how they ride.
I can live with that.

As for riding crazy, I had a fall a year and one day ago, March 29, 2005, that broke four ribs, messed up my shoulder and collapsed my lung.
I lost a month of work while I healed.

Today I ride aggressively, meaning fast, when it seems safe and neighborly to do so.
I don't ride as fast downhill as I once did; preferring control over speed.
I love climbing fast, though, and I really enjoy hitting a max cruise; I average about 19mph around town.

I have recently watched some of the videos posted here, of fixed gear riders in large metropolitan areas, and I recognize myself as a sissy and rank amateur rider compared to many of the folks on this forum.
Still, where on lives makes a big difference.

By the way, I just got back from Portland, where I saw Cirque du Soleil.
While there I saw a remarkable number of very competent fixed gear riders who blended with traffic with grace and speed.
I admired the riders I saw very much.
I saw some nice bikes, too, with fenders (Portland has a lot of rain) and many with front and rear brakes.

Anightinthewood 03-30-06 11:53 PM

i ride as agresevely as i need too

genericbikedude 03-30-06 11:56 PM

I've been riding in the city since I've been riding. No question about passing slow cars, sneeking between them on multi-laned streets, very very occasional grabbing onto cars, popping from curb to street to curb when the curb is clear.

I'm moderate on the downhills though, just because while I CAN spin really fast, its not too pleasant in traffic. Riding around a 73" right now.

Anightinthewood 03-30-06 11:57 PM

speaking of which i got pulled over by a cop in jersey for "riding to agresevely" unfortunatly there were no nice NYC one way streets to duck in too so i was forced to stop. Aperently he was agravated that he was sitting in traffic when i went past him and gave me some lecture on how slower traffic should always ride on the right. then he asked about my breaks bell and reflectors... but no ticket suprisingly.

genericbikedude 03-31-06 12:00 AM

did you ask him to say "oinky oinky?" I've always wanted to ask a cop to do that for me.

humancongereel 03-31-06 12:10 AM


Originally Posted by Ken Cox
I live in a town of about 70,000 people that still has a small town atmosphere.
People I know professionally often remark about seeing me riding around town.
Politically and socially it seems smart, to me, to ride like a good neighbor.

I know, or suspect, a lot of people enjoy the anonymity, or depend on the anonymity of a big town to cover certain aspects of their lifestyle, including how they ride.
I can live with that.

As for riding crazy, I had a fall a year and one day ago, March 29, 2005, that broke four ribs, messed up my shoulder and collapsed my lung.
I lost a month of work while I healed.

Today I ride aggressively, meaning fast, when it seems safe and neighborly to do so.
I don't ride as fast downhill as I once did; preferring control over speed.
I love climbing fast, though, and I really enjoy hitting a max cruise; I average about 19mph around town.

I have recently watched some of the videos posted here, of fixed gear riders in large metropolitan areas, and I recognize myself as a sissy and rank amateur rider compared to many of the folks on this forum.
Still, where on lives makes a big difference.

By the way, I just got back from Portland, where I saw Cirque du Soleil.
While there I saw a remarkable number of very competent fixed gear riders who blended with traffic with grace and speed.
I admired the riders I saw very much.
I saw some nice bikes, too, with fenders (Portland has a lot of rain) and many with front and rear brakes.


hey, how was cirque du soleil? my girlfriend really wanted to see it, but neither of us could afford it.

one of those riders you saw could very well have been me...work has given me few hours lately, so i've been spending hour upon hour on the bike. i agree about what you say as far as the anonymity aspect, but also about being "neighborly". i can be pretty "aggressive", but i typically don't do things that'll piss off other people on the road. i try to share the road as i'd like drivers to share with me, but i also realize i can fit in smaller spaces, go around obstacles, and run a smaller risk of causing accidents--which, if caused by me will be much less catastrophic. so i do ride more aggressively in that respect.

str8flexed 03-31-06 12:40 AM

I think that these Lucas Brunell videos are really bad examples for me. Every time I watch them, the next time I go riding, I realize I am engaging in some risky sh@!$

andrew young 03-31-06 12:41 AM

For me,it all depends on the flow of traffic here, which streets I'm on, etc. Some of the drivers here in Mpls act like they don't even see me, which can be annoying at times and sometimes dangerous. Lately I've started to ride aggressively again 'cause I've got my helmet back (It was in storage) and feel more apt to ride like a nut. I do pay attention to lights and whatnot, I just love to take advantage of those few seconds where it's like, 100 feet of clear lanes until the next car, lets burn this intersection!!........

Ken Cox 03-31-06 01:04 AM


Originally Posted by humancongereel[/i
hey, how was cirque du soleil? my girlfriend really wanted to see it, but neither of us could afford it.

I enjoyed it as theater.
Mostly, it seemed like very high level circus, but still circus.

However, about a quarter of the way through, I realized they had a live orchestra.
I cannot do justice to the music in words.
If you have a sound system that will play the sound track of a video DVD, buy or rent the Varekai DVD:

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque...varekai_pc.htm

I think the above includes video of the various acts, but, even without the video, I consider the DVD worth the price of purchase.

If I had it to do over again, would I pay that much to go to the circus?
No.

However, knowing what I know now, I'd buy the DVD in a heartbeat.

ChicagoDave 03-31-06 01:35 AM

re
 
I generally ride aggressively if the route and my mood are right. My commute is on long straight roads with fast traffic (elston, milwaukee, ashland) but at lights, downtown, the other hubs of the city I'm gunna try and make it through with as little stoppage as possible. Once I get downtown the rush takes over and I ride aggresively as all hell. On my commute sometimes I just cruise. It all depends, but one thing is for sure aggressive riding decreases accidents. ~ David

humancongereel 03-31-06 01:41 AM


Originally Posted by Ken Cox
I enjoyed it as theater.
Mostly, it seemed like very high level circus, but still circus.

However, about a quarter of the way through, I realized they had a live orchestra.
I cannot do justice to the music in words.
If you have a sound system that will play the sound track of a video DVD, buy or rent the Varekai DVD:

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque...varekai_pc.htm

I think the above includes video of the various acts, but, even without the video, I consider the DVD worth the price of purchase.

If I had it to do over again, would I pay that much to go to the circus?
No.

However, knowing what I know now, I'd buy the DVD in a heartbeat.


wow, thanks. i have her birthday gift lined up now. i didn't even know the dvd was out there.

i've never seen anything from cirque du soleil, but it seems very artistic and intriguing. i can only imagine how the music matches up.

edit: if you want a lower cost, more american-traditional circus, there's the shriner's circus soon. i haven't been to the circus since i was maybe...7 years old. i doubt you will, but if you do indeed come up for that, PM me. i'd love to meet you in person and i could maybe rally a few portland fixie riders for your arrival.

sers 03-31-06 02:03 AM

i keep to the right as long as i can keep going. i like to think of a bicycle as the ultimate city vehicle, unlike cars and pedestrians, i can use every lane and the sidewalks, and i do. that said, most of the time keeping to the right is sufficient. i get a lot of enjoyment from navigating traffic successfully and smoothly.

slopvehicle 03-31-06 02:26 AM

I ride from point A to point B. I spent a year reading traffic as a full-time taxi driver, so I don't push my luck on the commute. Bike lanes are good enough for me.

I wish I lived in a city with less 45+ mph traffic and something more reasonable (like 25-35 mph). Unfortunately, one almost never has to go through downtown unless you live / work directly opposite Tucson's downtown, so "playing in traffic" rarely occurs to me.

mihlbach 03-31-06 06:07 AM


Originally Posted by str8flexed
I think that these Lucas Brunell videos are really bad examples for me. Every time I watch them, the next time I go riding, I realize I am engaging in some risky sh@!$


My feelings exactly. I used to be aggresive, then I evolved into a VCer, then I found Brunells videos..and now I'm totally aggresive again. I can't help myself!. Everytime I ride through traffic, I have "Touch or Evil" or "Welcome to the Jungle" going through my head.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.