Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Sew-ups vs. Clinchers for vintage rebuild (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/218891-sew-ups-vs-clinchers-vintage-rebuild.html)

seaneee 08-12-06 03:27 PM

Sew-ups vs. Clinchers for vintage rebuild
 
So I'm rebuilding a 1940's Malvern Star path racer/track bike and I want to keep it looking vintage, knowing full well that I have a snowball's chance in hell finding the orginal parts.

Anyway, I found some older pista rims that would fit nicely but they are sew-ups. I'd be using the bike around town and short to medium distances. I've heard that for this kinda' stuff your better off with clinchers, any advice?

Thanks.

TNCLR 08-12-06 03:32 PM

Tubulars are fine for the street as long as you're ready for the major pain in the ass that is changing them. Each has their benefits and drawbacks. I personally choose clinchers. I ride a lot and would rather have an easier time changing tires/flats if/when I get them. Basically, it's up to you. Although I'm sure Ceya will chime in and disagree with me.

Scooper 08-12-06 04:02 PM

I bought an older Paramount on eBay several months ago, and it came with Mavic tubular rims. I decided to go with clinchers, so rebuilt the wheels using the original Nuovo Record wide flage hubs and new Open Pro rims. It has worked well and didn't really spoil the vintage look.

seaneee 08-12-06 04:14 PM

So with sew-ups are there any issues with skip stopping?

poopslush 08-12-06 04:42 PM


Originally Posted by seaneee
So with sew-ups are there any issues with skip stopping?

No, but I wouldnt skid the hell out of tubies since they can be pricey and somewhat a pain to change.


I really like my tubs. You get a lot of "feel", theyre light, fast, and you can run the psi really high. Go for it. It can be a pain to intall them, but its worth it.

TNCLR 08-12-06 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by seaneee
So with sew-ups are there any issues with skip stopping?

Well, if you ride good tires, they're expensive. If you skid often, you'll ruin them and get a flat. For someone new to tubulars, changing out a flat can take several hours and be extremely messy.

Clinchers can be cheaper and flats can be changed in under 5 minutes. It's not rocket science why they are the most popular style tire used for street use.

Technical answer: No
Realistic answer: Yes

Scooper 08-12-06 11:33 PM

^^^^
+1

poopslush 08-12-06 11:42 PM

dont hate yo
sew ups are ****ing ill

ps im drunk, sorry

TNCLR 08-12-06 11:50 PM


Originally Posted by poopslush
dont hate yo
sew ups are ****ing ill

ps im drunk, sorry


It's not about hating, it's about REALITY.

And you're right, tubulars are ill...on the track.

poopslush 08-13-06 12:02 AM


Originally Posted by poopslush
ps im drunk, sorry

yeahs

Ceya 08-13-06 12:15 AM


Originally Posted by TNCLR
It's not about hating, it's about REALITY.

And you're right, tubulars are ill...on the track.


What do you think pros still race on the Pro circut now. 75 % clinchers..NO it 75% Tubulars. Also before clinchers everybody rode tubulars. I will show you the light.

It is not for everybody.

S/F,
CEYA!

Ceya 08-13-06 12:16 AM


Originally Posted by seaneee
So with sew-ups are there any issues with skip stopping?

No.

S/F,
CEYA!

Ceya 08-13-06 12:19 AM


Originally Posted by poopslush
No, but I wouldnt skid the hell out of tubies since they can be pricey and somewhat a pain to change.


I really like my tubs. You get a lot of "feel", theyre light, fast, and you can run the psi really high. Go for it. It can be a pain to intall them, but its worth it.

they don't burn out like clinchers when skipping or skidding.

Pain only happens when you do it wrong or don't know what your doing.

S/F,
CEYA!

Ceya 08-13-06 12:22 AM


Originally Posted by TNCLR
Well, if you ride good tires, they're expensive. If you skid often, you'll ruin them and get a flat. For someone new to tubulars, changing out a flat can take several hours and be extremely messy.

Clinchers can be cheaper and flats can be changed in under 5 minutes. It's not rocket science why they are the most popular style tire used for street use.

Technical answer: No
Realistic answer: Yes

20 to 30 for a tubular of good quality.

I can do it in 3 mins and no pinch flats or better yet I can still ride on my flat. (Dutret don't respond.)

S/F,
CEYA!

cabbagerwsb 08-13-06 01:02 AM

on a bike that old go wood rims (tubular) and inch-pitch

poopslush 08-13-06 01:02 AM

ceya is god. listen up kiddies!

LóFarkas 08-13-06 02:15 AM


Originally Posted by Ceya
What do you think pros still race on the Pro circut now. 75 % clinchers..NO it 75% Tubulars. Also before clinchers everybody rode tubulars. I will show you the light.

It is not for everybody.

S/F,
CEYA!

The thing is... on the pro circuit, they couldn't care less about price, they have mechanics to do the pile of messy work, the best quality materials and expertise are a given, the time it takes to repair a flat is irrelevant because they can slap on a spare wheel, performance is the only thing that matters, and still 25% ride clinchers.

Also, when everyone rode tubulars, they did it because they didn't have clichers...

mrwhite 08-13-06 05:52 AM


Originally Posted by Ceya
What do you think pros still race on the Pro circut now. 75 % clinchers..NO it 75% Tubulars. Also before clinchers everybody rode tubulars. I will show you the light.

It is not for everybody.

S/F,
CEYA!

I rode my pinarello on the road with tubs, and occasionally ride a disc wheel at work which is a tubular.

Ride it!

Do that Aussie frame proud!

*tc


ps Gonz says tubs 200%

Ceya 08-13-06 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by LóFarkas

The thing is... on the pro circuit, they couldn't care less about price, they have mechanics to do the pile of messy work, the best quality materials and expertise are a given, the time it takes to repair a flat is irrelevant because they can slap on a spare wheel, performance is the only thing that matters, and still 25% ride clinchers.

Also, when everyone rode tubulars, they did it because they didn't have clichers...

Perfect practice makes perfect. Pro Riders don't have full mech service when they are home and not racing.

Try tubulars , you may like them or not but YOU must experience them. You must take the leap to try FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

This way you know what is good for you. as for me tubulars somebody else clinchers.
S/F,
CEYA!

Ceya 08-13-06 08:37 AM


Originally Posted by poopslush
ceya is god. listen up kiddies!


No God, just experienced by trying it and not just listening to rumors and old talk. I went to see for myself and that is how I got to this level.

I am willing to share my experience so mistakes are minimal.

S/F,
CEYA!

onetwentyeight 08-13-06 08:51 AM

i just went through the same process as you (i have an english frame from the mid 50s), and ended up going for tubulars. I havent flatted on them yet but I love the ride quality and i have no regrets going to sew ups. I ended up putting a conti sprinter in the front, and a gatorskin tubular on the back because they're pretty thick and durable (from what i've read). biketiresdirect.com has some good deals on tires. i normally ride conti gatorskin clinchers, and the tubulars were only a few dollars more in price. you can hit the stan miles link in my sig if you want to see how it ended up.

morbot 08-13-06 11:41 AM

malvern stars are ridiculously awesome. i need to see some pictures.

oh and i just contacted this track collector in australia that i semi-know to see if he had any idea where you could find parts.

seaneee 08-13-06 04:31 PM

morbot-

Here's a pic:

seaneee 08-13-06 04:35 PM

A may give tubulars a try. I'm not so stressed about the flat issue as SF is only 7x7 and I don't plan on going on longer rides with this one. Worse comes to worse, on the bus bike rack it goes.

One last question though. If I go with vintage NOS rims, do they have breaking surfaces or do I need to get them machined. I was looking at a pair of old Nisi rims. I'll be putting a front brake on this.

Thanks for all your replies.

Ceya 08-13-06 11:01 PM


Originally Posted by cabbagerwsb
on a bike that old go wood rims (tubular) and inch-pitch


you are correct even though some of the transition to 1/8 and metal rims was in the horizion.

S/F,
CEYA!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.