Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Flat bars to drop, what do u think?

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Flat bars to drop, what do u think?

Old 05-30-07, 01:16 PM
  #1  
BSource-Wacker
Never be too specialized
Thread Starter
 
BSource-Wacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 38

Bikes: Secialized S-Works Tarmac E5 with Ultegra/Dura-ace; Guru Elite with Ultegra; Raliegh Supercourse with 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat bars to drop, what do u think?

So i bought my fuji track with flat bars, which were fun to ride, plus i could do barspins... but last night i got an itch to try something new, so i went to my friends shop (ours doesnt sell used parts) and bought some used nitto drops for 10, an old ass all metal drop break for 5, a shimano 600 front brake for 8, and got some free wire and housing...

anywho, here is the before and after... any thoughts?



BSource-Wacker is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:22 PM
  #2  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
qhy did running drops make you put a front brake on?

I assume you're asking merely of aesthetic opinion, and mine would be that the new setup looks much, much worse.

There is no chrome on your bike except the new parts.
Drops look much better brakeless, and since you were runing brakeless before, why not now?
If you must run a brake, conceal the cable, **** is ugly.
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:23 PM
  #3  
megatron
white men cant jump
 
megatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ew that stem is... ewww
megatron is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:30 PM
  #4  
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,519
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drops ultimately look and work better if you do it right. In your case, since there is no other chrome on your bike, wrap the whole bar with tape. Take off the cheasy road lever and use a small cyclocross/in-line lever on the top of the bar..it preseves the clean look of brakeless drops, but still gives you a brake. Next look for a non-cheesy stem. Finally, rethink your saddle height...is it correct for you(?), because if it is and you are a normally proportioned person, that frame is probably too large. It might be OK with flat bars, but I'm betting that the drops have you way stretched out.
mihlbach is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:32 PM
  #5  
mander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Van BC
Posts: 3,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drops are a huge improvement in functionality over flats but without two levers you are losing the one of their best hand positions, that being out on the hoods like bullhorns. This position is best for out of the saddle sprinting and climbing, which youll do a lot on a fg. Brakeless drops are actually pretty ****ty off the track; for practical street riding you'd do much better with bullhorns.

I recommend the tektro/ cane creek aero levers for optimum ergonomics. Plus they are sprung like Sir Mix a Lot so the dummy hood won't flop around.
mander is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:34 PM
  #6  
doofo
thomas masini lives
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: i aint dh no mo'
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never thought id say this

the flats look better

but i bet the drops are nicer

id wrap em all the way to hide the silver

and tilt them a little further down too

dont get a new stem for looks stems are about fit and comfort
doofo is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:39 PM
  #7  
jeac
IT'S IN YOUR HEAD
 
jeac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: the del
Posts: 401

Bikes: 46/16 - schwinn conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want a front brake
get a bmx type lever

it'll look much better
jeac is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 01:44 PM
  #8  
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeac
if you want a front brake
get a bmx type lever

it'll look much better
to hipsters and it won't provide braking when you need it or a usuful hand position.
dutret is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:01 PM
  #9  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's assuming he would be riding the drops more, which I would doubt since it seems he switched to drops for aesthetic reasons(omg is he a hipster for that?!?!) and he is accustomed to riding flats, so it is safe to assume he would probably ride in that posiition on drops with reasonable frequency.
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:04 PM
  #10  
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really don't understand why people only tape the drops
on their street bikes. I guess they want it to look "track,"
but that's stupid, and only novice riders don't know that
it's considered bad form to always ride in the drops. In
any event, tape the whole bars!
bonechilling is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:05 PM
  #11  
dutret
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 5,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willypilgrim
that's assuming he would be riding the drops more, which I would doubt since it seems he switched to drops for aesthetic reasons(omg is he a hipster for that?!?!) and he is accustomed to riding flats, so it is safe to assume he would probably ride in that posiition on drops with reasonable frequency.
He would probably learn to spend more time on the hoods like most people do. More importantly however it makes much more sense to have the positions you can brake from be the same as the positions that give you most control over the bike. That is what I meant by "braking when you need it". If he does spend a reasonable amount of time on the tops that is what interrupter levers were created for.
dutret is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:05 PM
  #12  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But Dude I Saw Those Keirin Guys Run Only Grips On The Bottoms
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:07 PM
  #13  
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willypilgrim
But Dude I Saw Those Keirin Guys Run Only Grips On The Bottoms
Exactly.
bonechilling is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:08 PM
  #14  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
He would probably learn to spend more time on the hoods like most people do. More importantly however it makes much more sense to have the positions you can brake from be the same as the positions that give you most control over the bike. That is what I meant by "braking when you need it". If he does spend a reasonable amount of time on the tops that is what interrupter levers were created for.

Keep in mind we are also discussing a rider that just recently put a brake on. I'm sure you're a proponent of brake use, and I understand your braking where you need it comment, but like I said, as unsure as he was about the bar setup and his likely motivation behind it, I'd be suprised to see that be the most likely position he would be able to grab a brake in, but i could be wrong.

Bull's and brakeless has treated me just fine.
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:09 PM
  #15  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willypilgrim
But Dude I Saw Those Keirin Guys Run Only Grips On The Bottoms

why did i capitalize every word in this sentence?

Too many tallboys for lunch...
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:20 PM
  #16  
roughrider504
Senior Member
 
roughrider504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,240

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh DL-1, Raleigh Alyeska, Modern Brifter Raleigh, Schwinn Sprint (curved ST) converted to 3spd, Chrome Schwinn Sierra, Jamis Quest (fixed) and many projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by willypilgrim
But Dude I Saw Those Keirin Guys Run Only Grips On The Bottoms
And they are sprinting around a velodrome. . .not riding around the city.
roughrider504 is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:26 PM
  #17  
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504
And they are sprinting around a velodrome. . .not riding around the city.
bonechilling is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:28 PM
  #18  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, thanks for the backup on that one.
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:34 PM
  #19  
mander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Van BC
Posts: 3,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Willy you got nailed by bikeforums' all caps filter. THERE ARE WAYS OF GETTING AROUND IT with invisible markup if you require all caps for purposes of irony or dicking around.
mander is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 02:36 PM
  #20  
willypilgrim
71 Peugeot. fixed.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that explains it all. I was intentionally doing all caps because, I was/am drunk and it fit the needs of the statement.

invisible markup you say, eh?

Are there that many issues with trolling, etc. that all these things are in effect, or what? I've been on boards that were victim to much worse spamming, etc (usually by normal posters that got wasted).
willypilgrim is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 03:10 PM
  #21  
mander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Van BC
Posts: 3,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naah I think it's just for aesthetics. To see how to get all caps just view source for this page and look at what i did. Even with cutnpaste it's tedious enough that you have to really want all caps to get it.
mander is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 05:01 PM
  #22  
BSource-Wacker
Never be too specialized
Thread Starter
 
BSource-Wacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 38

Bikes: Secialized S-Works Tarmac E5 with Ultegra/Dura-ace; Guru Elite with Ultegra; Raliegh Supercourse with 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So let me clarify a few things. I have a road bike, this is my project commuter. the reason i only have grips is because i had no tape and wanted to ride. the bike fits me well, even tho i dont have the full fist of seatpost. I guess my main question was am i going to like the drops better for city/fitness riding.

Keep in mind i built this completely out of used parts lying around at a friends shop for $23. i picked up bar tape from work today. the reason i got that brake was simply because in all the used parts, none of the other brakes fit, i had no idea what i wanted when i went in, but this made it easy... the only left that fit.

Th reason i have a brake is because i ride this bike to work and such, and got damn near run over by some red neck *******, lost my footing, and went down. The nature of the wreck left me wishing i had the front brake for a little more control.




if anyone has any constructive detailed ideas better than this, let me know.

Last edited by BSource-Wacker; 05-30-07 at 05:36 PM.
BSource-Wacker is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 05:42 PM
  #23  
radcopter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The drops will give you more variety in riding positions, which you probably already know since you ride a road bike. The only thing I'd be worried about is how the new stem affects how the bike fits you. I would definitely reccomend buying a 'cross brake lever, too. They aren't too spendy, and having the brake on the flat has always seemed more comfortable to me. Thats up to personal taste, though.
radcopter is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 05:44 PM
  #24  
humancongereel
live free or die trying
 
humancongereel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: where i lay my head is home.
Posts: 6,999

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mander
Willy you got nailed by bikeforums' all caps filter. THERE ARE WAYS OF GETTING AROUND IT with invisible markup if you require all caps for purposes of irony or dicking around.

that's way too much work to get all caps.
humancongereel is offline  
Old 05-30-07, 05:46 PM
  #25  
humancongereel
live free or die trying
 
humancongereel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: where i lay my head is home.
Posts: 6,999

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a non-aesthetic view. flats give you little arm leverage, putting all your energy into your spin and your legs. great for a smoother spin and stronger legs, since that's all you have to work with. put drops on, and you have the better spin and stronger legs, plus leverage. i'd say, use the flats to get faster and the drops to get aero and leverage and go faster than faster.
humancongereel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.