Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mercier Kilo TT Pictures

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mercier Kilo TT Pictures

Old 06-03-09, 10:47 PM
  #7601  
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,041
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take some sandpaper to them too to clean them up.
Thetank is offline  
Old 06-03-09, 10:51 PM
  #7602  
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,041
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stephenzv1lle
My brother just bought a tektro r350 with a 39-49mm reach and its rubbing against his tire which is weird because the mercier kilo tt pro comes with this same exact brake caliper. why is this? Is there anyway to fix this?
Mine does the same thing, its because there's very little clearance between the tire and the lower part of the brake caliper. What you have to do is make sure you install the caliper with the pads as close to the wheel as possible.
Thetank is offline  
Old 06-04-09, 07:20 AM
  #7603  
helmet brake
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano
they arent good pedals, but they arent different to get into than other tabless pedals.
They are harder to get into than Metal MKS clips on nashbar cage pedals.
I often clip in while in heavy traffic, so I consider the pedals dangerous as I have to give them extra attention, which could be better put towards not getting run over.

Last edited by jakerock; 06-04-09 at 07:25 AM.
jakerock is offline  
Old 06-04-09, 09:22 AM
  #7604  
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,876

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jakerock
They are harder to get into than Metal MKS clips on nashbar cage pedals.
I often clip in while in heavy traffic, so I consider the pedals dangerous as I have to give them extra attention, which could be better put towards not getting run over.
self preservation is key. why did you replace the mks cages? that sounds odd.

__________________

α
adriano is offline  
Old 06-04-09, 04:55 PM
  #7605  
helmet brake
 
jakerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 624

Bikes: Kilo TT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano
self preservation is key. why did you replace the mks cages? that sounds odd.

I think there is a misunderstanding...
My kilo came with little pedals and nylon cages, which I replaced with cheap Nashbar cage pedals and MKS clips.
jakerock is offline  
Old 06-04-09, 11:31 PM
  #7606  
I Ride Slow
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 231

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow road to work today on the gr9's with new clips and straps and it made a huge difference!

Tonight I was going to install my brake, but I am having problems deciding what to do. I never ride in the drops so I am thinking of getting new bars so I don't want to cut the cable to size on these bars and then switch to something else... decisions, decisions...
kylen721 is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 10:05 AM
  #7607  
its that damned rap music
 
oneangrytoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: brooklyn, ny
Posts: 569

Bikes: Kilo TT, Bianchi Pista Concept 2005, Shogun 600 ~1983

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody tried getting these fyxation tires on the kilo yet?

prolly says the 28c's are more like 32s. i did a quick search and read that somebody fit 32s, but they were rubbing his brakes.

can anyone speak on either of these two concerns?
oneangrytoast is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 10:28 AM
  #7608  
Holding Steady
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylen721
wow road to work today on the gr9's with new clips and straps and it made a huge difference!
Just ordered a pair from Ben's Cycle. Very stoked to get 'em on my bike. These and Sylvans seem to be one of the favorite pedals in this thread.
stra24 is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 02:16 PM
  #7609  
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,542

Bikes: tirove

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
just got a 17t and clipless pedals. yay.
cc700 is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 04:20 PM
  #7610  
Hai!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 78
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moved to Long Beach and don't use a car anymore

My bike as of late/main transportation:
torricantdance is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 06:08 PM
  #7611  
Senior Member
 
Aries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 296
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the grape soda kilos
Aries is offline  
Old 06-05-09, 07:16 PM
  #7612  
Senior Member
 
flam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 175

Bikes: Mercier Kilo tt

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torricantdance
Moved to Long Beach and don't use a car anymore

My bike as of late/main transportation:
[IMG]PURPLE KILO[/IMG]
I really the tape on your downtube, my kilo has something similar though i'm digging yours a lot

flam is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 12:05 AM
  #7613  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody else have problems with brake clearance with a 39-49mm reach?
stephenzv1lle is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 02:30 AM
  #7614  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats up guys, i wanted to get some bullhorns for my Kilo and while doing that i wanted to swap out the stem for a black one, i don't like all the chrome on this bike. Clamp size for the handlebars on BK says its a 25.4, will a 26 work, will this even matter if i get a new stem. As you can tell i'm not too knowledgeable with technical detail when it comes to parts but i'm slowly learning. If anyone can even make a recommendation as to what bullhorn and stem combo go well with the Kilo that'll help also. Thanks a lot.
wr1020 is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 03:29 AM
  #7615  
hallo
 
dOOBER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston/ Lubbock, TX
Posts: 58

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wr1020
Whats up guys, i wanted to get some bullhorns for my Kilo and while doing that i wanted to swap out the stem for a black one, i don't like all the chrome on this bike. Clamp size for the handlebars on BK says its a 25.4, will a 26 work, will this even matter if i get a new stem. As you can tell i'm not too knowledgeable with technical detail when it comes to parts but i'm slowly learning. If anyone can even make a recommendation as to what bullhorn and stem combo go well with the Kilo that'll help also. Thanks a lot.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=635

i believe that is your cheapest and best bet.

To my knowledge it is best not to use 26 in 25.4 because it can cause uneven stress this is one of the many reasons i didn't get a kilo. to switch out a stem you would probably have to get a whole new fork and headset because i believe the kilo is 1in threadless which isn't a popular size

if my info is not correct or best yall are welcome to correct

PS Bullhorns are the way to go a cheap alternative is to flop-and-chop the stock drops will not be exactly the same but works and it works for me.

good luck
dOOBER is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 03:54 AM
  #7616  
thread derailleur
 
erichsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: beyond Thunderdome
Posts: 1,095

Bikes: 82 Bianchi ECO Pista, Pake, Kilo TT, some *** bmx i found underneath an old house

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dOOBER
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...7&category=635

i believe that is your cheapest and best bet.

To my knowledge it is best not to use 26 in 25.4 because it can cause uneven stress this is one of the many reasons i didn't get a kilo. to switch out a stem you would probably have to get a whole new fork and headset because i believe the kilo is 1in threadless which isn't a popular size

if my info is not correct or best yall are welcome to correct


PS Bullhorns are the way to go a cheap alternative is to flop-and-chop the stock drops will not be exactly the same but works and it works for me.

good luck
very incorrect.
erichsia is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 09:07 AM
  #7617  
Comanche Racing
 
PedallingATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 2,820

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ever heard of a shim? You can throw a shim on your steering tube and use a 1 1/8" stem w/ NO problem.
PedallingATX is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 12:48 PM
  #7618  
沒有腳踏車的居民
 
PluperfectArson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,283

Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
ever heard of a shim? You can throw a shim on your steering tube and use a 1 1/8" stem w/ NO problem.
This is what I am using at the moment.

I picked up a new stem a couple weeks back, threw a shim on there, and voila!
PluperfectArson is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 05:00 PM
  #7619  
$free.99
 
peitrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me, or is removing the BB from a kilo almost impossible?

peitrus is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 06:28 PM
  #7620  
Senior Member
 
Aries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 296
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ its just you. I've done it several times. make sure youre trying to spin it the right way because of the reverse threading. btw, i like your mercier graphic
Aries is offline  
Old 06-06-09, 07:56 PM
  #7621  
$free.99
 
peitrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aries
^ its just you. I've done it several times. make sure youre trying to spin it the right way because of the reverse threading. btw, i like your mercier graphic
hey thanks! so drive-side, counter clockwise?

ive tried it. It is ridiculously tight! and im afraid i might strip the splines

Last edited by peitrus; 06-07-09 at 12:17 AM.
peitrus is offline  
Old 06-07-09, 02:28 AM
  #7622  
Daily Commuter
 
TheRealNicola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pueblo, Colorado
Posts: 387

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bb was as well. I took it to the shop and they said it was darn tough for them to get it out as well. But they got it out.
TheRealNicola is offline  
Old 06-07-09, 11:46 AM
  #7623  
Teaching Member
 
lwkwafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 159
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turning the wrong way could definitely be a problem. It is the opposite of pedals, which both go over the top toward the back wheel to remove.
"For non-drive side, remove by turning counter-clockwise. For drive side, turn clockwise to remove."
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=94
lwkwafi is offline  
Old 06-07-09, 12:39 PM
  #7624  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peitrus
hey thanks! so drive-side, counter clockwise?

ive tried it. It is ridiculously tight! and im afraid i might strip the splines
I believe drive side is clockwise...
rendus is offline  
Old 06-07-09, 12:47 PM
  #7625  
$free.99
 
peitrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright I'll give it a go...thnx broskies
peitrus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.