Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

sugino messenger from benscycle

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

sugino messenger from benscycle

Old 01-29-08, 10:59 AM
  #1  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sugino messenger from benscycle

https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=2218

i am planning to buy this sugino RD messenger light blue cranksets from benscycle.net
have anyone here ever buy one of these colored crank messenger crank? does the crank look exactly the same as the picture? like the color, "sugino" logo, and quality?

because it looks really nice to me! =D

Thank you,
Rae
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:16 AM
  #2  
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All monitors are different.
deathhare is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:26 AM
  #3  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
Looks to be pretty overpriced for a square tapered crank to me. I give the blue anodization three months before you see some huge silver spots where your foot rubs against the crank, just like the old cook bros cranks would get. +the whole messenger labelling scheme is incredibly gimicky.
u mean i should just get the silver crank/black chain ring instead?
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:30 AM
  #4  
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 8,269

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
Looks to be pretty overpriced for a square tapered crank to me. I give the blue anodization three months before you see some huge silver spots where your foot rubs against the crank, just like the old cook bros cranks would get. +the whole messenger labelling scheme is incredibly gimicky.
blame sugino for the whole messenger marketing, not Ben's.
and the anodization they do is different if I remember correctly, and is it better than most other anodization - but yes, it will eventually wear off, just like the finish on any crank will.
pitboss is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:31 AM
  #5  
fixedmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO if you are going to buy top end i would go for nothing but an ultegra or durace crank. This crank is not "Sugino" nor "messenger" but it is Japanese and it is a superior system.

The blue to me looks like it is trying to reference the 90's mountain bike anodization trends.
fixedmonkey is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:35 AM
  #6  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
IMHO if you are going to spend that kind of money i would go for nothing but an ultegra or durace crank. This crank is not "Sugino" nor "messenger" but it is Japanese and it is a superior system.
can u be more specific? like which duraace or ultegra crank?
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:36 AM
  #7  
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 8,269

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
IMHO if you are going to spend that kind of money i would go for nothing but an ultegra or durace crank. This crank is not "Sugino" nor "messenger" but it is Japanese and it is a superior system.
wrong - the crank is the Sugino RD crank from what I understand, and it is 'messenger' based on two specific criteria that sugino came up with some how:
1. it is "track specific"
2. it was less expensive than the 75s (both being non-anodized)
I do not follow this marketing mentality of Sugino.

the ZEN part is a bit misleading though as this refers to the higher quality ZEN track-specific rings.

at this point, you are arguing an opinion - which is fine, but fruitless as people will buy what they want. So be it.

And there has never been an Ultegra named track-specific crankset (unless I am horribly unaware, which is possible).

However, I am not into the anodized parts kick - I got over that in the early 90s
pitboss is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:36 AM
  #8  
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the messenger is all hype. mass-marketing towards a new trend.
you're better off just getting some rds... same exact crank for much less.
the messenger chainrings are real heavy too from what i hear and i've heard that the teeth are shaped weird and don't engage the chain ideally.
666pack is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:37 AM
  #9  
spacehippo
Sauce
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The packages like that one are just a RD crank with a messenger ring... I believe its the same as buying separate...

just make sure to know your chain line if you use a RD/messenger setup like that.

A set of RD's will make a 45mm chain line with a 103mm BB.
spacehippo is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:41 AM
  #10  
rudetay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 445

Bikes: Serotta Colorado III Track (Renyolds Ouzo Pro Aero Fork, Dura-Ace to Mavic CXP-14 wheels, Sugino crank, Thomson and 3T the rest), Steelman Cyclocross (Campy Record 10, Deda Newton & Thomson stuff)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
Looks to be pretty overpriced for a square tapered crank to me.
As opposed to...? Outboard bearings? Octalink? Most of these are significantly more than the RD.

I know quite a few people who are perfectly happy with their RDs. The issue isn't so much quality as that the crank is a road double that makes a pretty good track crank. You'll need to use a 103mm bb to get close to the 42mm chain line (it'll be 45mm), and a lot of people have no issues with that, but I had a friend that needed to run the ring on the inside to achieve a safe chain line.

Sure the blue might wear off some, but if you like the color enough, go for it. Or maybe get the silver crank arms with a blue ring if you tend to rub your shoe on the crank arm a lot.
rudetay is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:44 AM
  #11  
Cyclist0383
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
I do not follow this marketing mentality of Sugino.
The marketing mentality is perfect for the kind of folks who use their cycles as fashion statements; you know, the folks who are looking for white tires to match their white bar tape.....
Cyclist0383 is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:44 AM
  #12  
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
Looks to be pretty overpriced for a square tapered crank to me.
The Sugino 75 is even more expensive, and is ST.

By the way, nothing wrong with ST, at all. You still have one of the largest (if not the largest) choice of bottom brackets and cranksets with square taper.

EDIT: ooohh.. now I see where this is going:
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
I digress. It is a fact that shimano's external bb system is superior in every way. I am willing to bet most "real" track racers prefer it over the old square taper bb system. I realize that, by nature, fixed riders have and aversion to new technology in the same way that road bikers did in the 90's but arguing otherwise is false.
Why don't you take your jihad somewhere else?

And your momma gives good helmet.

Last edited by wroomwroomoops; 01-29-08 at 11:52 AM.
wroomwroomoops is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:46 AM
  #13  
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just think the problem with this crankset is that it's about fifty bucks more than a sugino rd-48 crankset, an the only thing that it really has to boast is the anodized crank arms and an upgrade from a sugino chainring (that i've run on my bike for a few thousand miles in about eight or nine months) to a sugino "zen messenger" which is really just a trendy ring with square teeth.

so for fifty bucks, if it's worth it for the anodization (that'll look like schit in no time anyway) and the (ten to twenty dollar) upgrade from the standard sugino ring up to the messenger, go for it. i know some of you people have insane quantities of dollars to burn.
666pack is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:46 AM
  #14  
spacehippo
Sauce
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. I love my RD's.... my only gripe was the slightly off chain line...but that can't be called a gripe since they are Road doubles for a reason, hence the chain line.
My chain stays are too wide to run the ring on the outside so I'm stuck with ~2mm off on my chain line. Its not that bad on my setup... and I run a set of chain tensioners just incase.

If the chainline thing doesn't bother you they are a great set of cranks for the price.
spacehippo is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:49 AM
  #15  
fixedmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudetay View Post

IYou'll need to use a 103mm bb to get close to the 42mm chain line (it'll be 45mm), and a lot of people have no issues with that, but I had a friend that needed to run the ring on the inside to achieve a safe chain line.
I think we need to get over this sugino obsession.
fixedmonkey is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:51 AM
  #16  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudetay View Post
As opposed to...? Outboard bearings? Octalink? Most of these are significantly more than the RD.

I know quite a few people who are perfectly happy with their RDs. The issue isn't so much quality as that the crank is a road double that makes a pretty good track crank. You'll need to use a 103mm bb to get close to the 42mm chain line (it'll be 45mm), and a lot of people have no issues with that, but I had a friend that needed to run the ring on the inside to achieve a safe chain line.

Sure the blue might wear off some, but if you like the color enough, go for it. Or maybe get the silver crank arms with a blue ring if you tend to rub your shoe on the crank arm a lot.
ahh i don't really know about chain line!

how do i know if my sprocket will be straight with the messenger chain ring or not?
im gettin sparton frame, formula hub and surly cog... does that help? lol
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:55 AM
  #17  
fixedmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaeFixie View Post
ahh i don't really know about chain line!

how do i know if my sprocket will be straight with the messenger chain ring or not?
im gettin sparton frame, formula hub and surly cog... does that help? lol
Heres an idea. Take the money an buy a better frame.
fixedmonkey is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:57 AM
  #18  
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
someone can probably tell you what size bb to get. i run that same exact setup on my ride (sugino rd->formula->surly), but i forget what bb i ended up running. whichever size it is, it gives me perfect chainline on the outside of the spider.
666pack is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:58 AM
  #19  
666pack
tarck bike.com exile
 
666pack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lancaster, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: bfssfg iro--black.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
Heres an idea. Take the money an buy a better frame.
it depends. if he got the sparton for $175 like it was a few months ago, go for it!
but... if you just got the sparton recently and paid $250-$300 (depending on if you get it through sparton on ebay or from king kog), i dunno. there's definitly nicer frames than the sparton for that kind of cash.

with that said i think they're real nice looking frames.
666pack is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 11:59 AM
  #20  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 666pack View Post
someone can probably tell you what size bb to get. i run that same exact setup on my ride (sugino rd->formula->surly), but i forget what bb i ended up running. whichever size it is, it gives me perfect chainline on the outside of the spider.
wat do you mean by what size of bb? i thought all rds have to use 103mm BBs.... im getting 68x103mm, 68 for the BB slot on the sparton frame....
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 12:02 PM
  #21  
kyselad
extra bitter
 
kyselad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,563

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
It is a fact that shimano's external bb system is superior in every way. I am willing to bet most "real" track racers prefer it over the old square taper bb system. I realize that, by nature, fixed riders have and aversion to new technology in the same way that road bikers did in the 90's but arguing otherwise is false.
You're obviously entitled to an opinion, but that's obviously what this is, regardless of who does or does not agree with it. Some actual facts might reinforce the opinion.
kyselad is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 12:02 PM
  #22  
fixedmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 666pack View Post
it depends. if he got the sparton for $175 like it was a few months ago, go for it!
but... if you just got the sparton recently and paid $250-$300 (depending on if you get it through sparton on ebay or from king kog), i dunno. there's definitly nicer frames than the sparton for that kind of cash.

with that said i think they're real nice looking frames.
This would go nicely with his new fancy cranks

https://cgi.ebay.com/EIMEI-NJS-TRACK-...QQcmdZViewItem
fixedmonkey is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 12:04 PM
  #23  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 666pack View Post
it depends. if he got the sparton for $175 like it was a few months ago, go for it!
but... if you just got the sparton recently and paid $250-$300 (depending on if you get it through sparton on ebay or from king kog), i dunno. there's definitly nicer frames than the sparton for that kind of cash.

with that said i think they're real nice looking frames.
i already bought the frame for 175 hah... i know its not a good frame, but i already bought it and yeah... i'll just get a better frame next time i build a fixie...
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 12:06 PM
  #24  
RaeFixie
Bad News
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedmonkey View Post
This would go nicely with his new fancy cranks

https://cgi.ebay.com/EIMEI-NJS-TRACK-...QQcmdZViewItem
i bet the bid will go higher than $200... like way more than that
RaeFixie is offline  
Old 01-29-08, 12:10 PM
  #25  
fixedmonkey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Facts are facts not opinions. hawr.
Shimano = more torque no creaking = better. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.
fixedmonkey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.