Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   So track chainrings put the chainring closer in? (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/411134-so-track-chainrings-put-chainring-closer.html)

zambaccian 04-24-08 04:06 PM

So track chainrings put the chainring closer in?
 
EDIT: title should read "so track cranks put the chainring closer in?"

I'm using road cranks right now but the chainring (mounted in the inner position) is still 5mm too far out. Would track cranks solve this?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/IMG_1651.jpg

jay rott 04-24-08 04:09 PM

chain line vs bb

frankstoneline 04-24-08 04:09 PM

Track cranks only fix this by matching a bottom bracket with them that achievs a 42mm chainline. Pull out your bottom bracket and find the length of the spindle and get one that is 1cm shorter and you should be golden.

huerro 04-24-08 08:24 PM


Originally Posted by frankstoneline (Post 6579276)
Track cranks only fix this by matching a bottom bracket with them that achievs a 42mm chainline.

Why is there such a rash of stupid about this in the last couple of days? It's not a hard concept.

666pack 04-24-08 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by huerro (Post 6580724)
Why is there such a rash of stupid about this in the last couple of days? It's not a hard concept.

watch out dude. i made a very similar remark last week and recieved a "profile infraction" and a string of private messages from a moderator i've never even seen in here for it.
bummer.

jim-bob 04-24-08 08:32 PM

Was it one of the Foo types? I think it's cute how they try to act like real moderators.

666pack 04-24-08 08:38 PM

i dunno who they were and what they thought they were doing... but it pissed me off.

and i'm sure i'll recieve another bithcy private message for this post.

tinydr 04-24-08 08:58 PM

honestly imo the key is delineating between a user being stupid and a question being stupid... personally I don't think it's difficult to moderate your comments a bit for the sake of civility (I find myself going back and taking out portions of posts that are pointlessly antagonistic); I'll admit I've only been making that effort for a week or so.

frankstoneline 04-24-08 09:43 PM


Originally Posted by huerro (Post 6580724)
Why is there such a rash of stupid about this in the last couple of days? It's not a hard concept.

so are you implying that simply by having the word "track" affixed to the name of a crankset I can magically have a 42mm chainline, regardless the length of bottom bracket spindle? Or are you wondering why people are asking about chainline so much? Also, if you were trying to attack my logic in an attempt to help him fix the problem, mind filling us all in about the correct solution?

zambaccian 04-24-08 10:00 PM

I don't even know what this discussion is about.

I'm not expecting a perfect chainline out-of-the-box, I'm just asking if track cranks have the chainring further in than the inner position on road cranks.

666pack 04-24-08 10:13 PM

answer: no. track cranks AND road doubles will both give you good chainline. as previously stated it all depends what bottom bracket width you choose to match the chainline specified for your hubs.

it's simple arithmetic dude.

operator 04-24-08 10:26 PM


Originally Posted by zambaccian (Post 6581319)
I don't even know what this discussion is about.

I'm not expecting a perfect chainline out-of-the-box, I'm just asking if track cranks have the chainring further in than the inner position on road cranks.

lulz @ this

conor 04-24-08 10:58 PM


Originally Posted by 666pack (Post 6580751)
watch out dude. i made a very similar remark last week and recieved a "profile infraction" and a string of private messages from a moderator i've never even seen in here for it.
bummer.

me, too! apparently i'm capable of insulting someone. who knew?

tinydr 04-24-08 11:38 PM

new strategy for insulting people while getting away with it: don't tell people they're stupid, tell them how incredibly brilliant they are.

huerro 04-25-08 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by frankstoneline (Post 6581215)
so are you implying that simply by having the word "track" affixed to the name of a crankset I can magically have a 42mm chainline, regardless the length of bottom bracket spindle? Or are you wondering why people are asking about chainline so much? Also, if you were trying to attack my logic in an attempt to help him fix the problem, mind filling us all in about the correct solution?

correct

frankstoneline 04-25-08 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by huerro (Post 6584916)
correct

haha, oh alright, well in that case, it's because the search function is pretty hard to get a grasp on.
I'm content answering questions like this as long as theres nothing better to be doing (read: 666pack finally gave in...)

roadfix 04-25-08 02:21 PM

Some track crank arms may not clear non-track frame chain stays or leave you with very little clearance.

lukewall 04-25-08 03:21 PM


Originally Posted by zambaccian (Post 6579261)
EDIT: title should read "so track cranks put the chainring closer in?"

I'm using road cranks right now but the chainring (mounted in the inner position) is still 5mm too far out. Would track cranks solve this?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/IMG_1651.jpg

some simple math and a vernier caliper would help more than a track crank.

lukewall 04-25-08 03:24 PM


Originally Posted by frankstoneline (Post 6579276)
Track cranks only fix this by matching a bottom bracket with them that achievs a 42mm chainline. Pull out your bottom bracket and find the length of the spindle and get one that is 1cm shorter and you should be golden.

this would only help if its a symetrical bb. that makes a big difference.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.