Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I Love My Windsor Hour!

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I Love My Windsor Hour!

Old 01-11-09, 02:44 PM
  #676  
Permanent Beater Rider
 
Critical Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 466

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sofakingtarck

Critical Jeff is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 05:43 PM
  #677  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The ROC/Buffalo, NY
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats size chain does this bike come with?

48/15 is a lil to tall...
foofmaster is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 05:57 PM
  #678  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buckfifty
hey, been checking out this thread and i think i might jump on this bike. i have a couple questions if you guys don't mind

1) i'm about 5'5 and the inseam (crotch to feet) is about 28.5in. should i go with a 49 or 52?

2) people have been saying to change the cog to a 17t. how can i determine if the chain is 1/8 or 3/32 so i can get the right cog

3) lastly, would this freewheel be compatible? and when installing it, another lockring would be needed?

thanks
1. i'm 5'5" also and i got a 49cm. fits perfect.
2. the chain it comes with is a 1/8".
3. yes that freewheel is compatible. to install a freewheel you just turn it clockwise on the freewheel side of the hub. to remove you'll need a freewheel removal tool.
bmw5nkj is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 06:05 PM
  #679  
Permanent Beater Rider
 
Critical Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 466

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foofmaster
whats size chain does this bike come with?

48/15 is a lil to tall...
the gearsing is 48/15
and the chain size is 1/8th inch
Critical Jeff is offline  
Old 01-11-09, 08:15 PM
  #680  
Senior Member
 
td.tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Union City/Davis, ca
Posts: 431

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i just sold my matte grey windsor, the one at the top of this page , for only $200. now im kind of sad . but its best not to have it around, otherwise i would keep buying upgrades for it even though i only ride for an hour a week...sigh.
anyone have more pics of their WHITE windsor hour??? im thinking of buying a new one eventually, in white.
td.tony is offline  
Old 01-14-09, 10:58 PM
  #681  
Stoopin and Commutin
 
HybridPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 120

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by td.tony
Well, i just sold my matte grey windsor, the one at the top of this page , for only $200. now im kind of sad . but its best not to have it around, otherwise i would keep buying upgrades for it even though i only ride for an hour a week...sigh.
anyone have more pics of their WHITE windsor hour??? im thinking of buying a new one eventually, in white.
I had a matte grey windsor; it's currently getting powdercoated white right now. I should have it back sometime next week. i'll post pics of the bike when I get around to putting it all back together.

For the other owners out there, whats the widest tire i can run on the front and the back? I'm currently running 700c x 23 and I want to start experimenting with different size tires.
HybridPilot is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 08:04 PM
  #682  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The ROC/Buffalo, NY
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
foofmaster is offline  
Old 01-18-09, 08:22 PM
  #683  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: out and on the parkway
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the process of reincarnating my Windsor. Going for a flip/flop roadie build, much like wildus' on the previous page.
Jesse M is offline  
Old 02-10-09, 12:28 AM
  #684  
biker ganggg
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, just got my windsor the hour in today, and built it up. so nice

but i found it hard to skid, is it either cause this is my first time on a fixie and attempting to skid and/or cause it is a 15t cog?
Darthballs31 is offline  
Old 02-10-09, 12:55 AM
  #685  
Senior Member
 
td.tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Union City/Davis, ca
Posts: 431

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HybridPilot
I had a matte grey windsor; it's currently getting powdercoated white right now. I should have it back sometime next week. i'll post pics of the bike when I get around to putting it all back together.

For the other owners out there, whats the widest tire i can run on the front and the back? I'm currently running 700c x 23 and I want to start experimenting with different size tires.
i've heard this question a lot, but im pretty sure a 28 will be able to fit, but for sure no wider than 28.
td.tony is offline  
Old 02-10-09, 12:59 AM
  #686  
Senior Member
 
td.tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Union City/Davis, ca
Posts: 431

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darthballs31
hey, just got my windsor the hour in today, and built it up. so nice

but i found it hard to skid, is it either cause this is my first time on a fixie and attempting to skid and/or cause it is a 15t cog?
i thought it was impossible for a newbie to skid with a 15t cog, but after my friend who doesnt even own a fixed gear bike himself skidded my bike, i knew it was definitely possible so i didnt stop until i could do it.

basically, ur not putting enough of ur weight forward, and ur not pushing/pulling with ur legs hard enough.

when i first learned to skid i realized that i wasn't putting nearly enough weight forward on the bike as i needed to. the first time might be a little sketchy because you dont know what to expect, so just put ur waist ALL the way forward, and push/pull on the pedals HARD. once u feel the tires skid just a littttle tiny bit, you will be much more motivated to do it better, and you will begin to understand the feeling better. u will learn quite fast after that point.
td.tony is offline  
Old 02-10-09, 08:35 PM
  #687  
biker ganggg
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by td.tony
i thought it was impossible for a newbie to skid with a 15t cog, but after my friend who doesnt even own a fixed gear bike himself skidded my bike, i knew it was definitely possible so i didnt stop until i could do it.

basically, ur not putting enough of ur weight forward, and ur not pushing/pulling with ur legs hard enough.

when i first learned to skid i realized that i wasn't putting nearly enough weight forward on the bike as i needed to. the first time might be a little sketchy because you dont know what to expect, so just put ur waist ALL the way forward, and push/pull on the pedals HARD. once u feel the tires skid just a littttle tiny bit, you will be much more motivated to do it better, and you will begin to understand the feeling better. u will learn quite fast after that point.
oh ok thanks, tried it out again, still cant get the hang of it lol. had my friend try it out too, who is fairly experienced, and found it was still difficult to skid (at least i know its "skiddable"), but complained and blammed the stock dropbars. Does this affect it really? cause i have a pretty large thigh so it kinda gets caught with the drop bars. gunna try to get a 16t cog asap - will there be much of a difference from a 15t to a 16t? thanks
Darthballs31 is offline  
Old 02-11-09, 09:24 AM
  #688  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The ROC/Buffalo, NY
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there isnt going to be much of a difference. i swapped out my 15t for a 17t. much better!!
foofmaster is offline  
Old 02-11-09, 12:59 PM
  #689  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 64

Bikes: Windsor the Hour, Cannondale Capo, Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's the Windsor holding up?

How do you like your Windsor five months later? I love my Windsor also but: I tossed the junk pedals after a week. Went to bull horn bars at the same time (with a new stem.) Replaced the junk cog when I changed pedals. Replaced the seat after two weeks. Lived with the creaking headset as long as I could stand it - close to a year. Ditto the junk wheels. After a couple of years I decided, what the heck, and replaced the bottom bracket, crank set and front forks (with carbon.) So, I love my Windsor, but all that's left of the original is the frame and seat post.
postprimepedal is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 09:52 AM
  #690  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my windsor for exactly a year and I still love it. I use it as a commuter about 10 miles each day to school and back. I changed the rear cog and pedals/clips two days after I got the bike, but everything else was stock and still remains stock. Bike still works and runs fine.
danny.ly is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 12:59 PM
  #691  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's mostly stock - only changes are: 17t milwaukee cog & nitto b123aa (i use risers most of the time tho)

nerdsports is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 01:41 PM
  #692  
Senior Member
 
td.tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Union City/Davis, ca
Posts: 431

Bikes: CAAD9 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know how much the windsor hour weighs? im just curious, i know it doesnt really matter that much.
td.tony is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 01:56 PM
  #693  
Stoopin and Commutin
 
HybridPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 120

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 52cm windsor. when it was stock, id say around 20-21lbs.
HybridPilot is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 02:45 PM
  #694  
Senior Member
 
Sikbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought the Clockwork, still waiting for it to come in. I haven't seen anyone really post in here with it. Pretty much the same bike though right, at least most of it?
Sikbug is offline  
Old 02-15-09, 10:22 PM
  #695  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just ordered mine! Matte gray! got a bunch of white parts to put on it. sweet!
ballin is offline  
Old 02-16-09, 03:19 PM
  #696  
So tragically hip.
 
mickey_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MASHboro, NJ
Posts: 364

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sikbug
I just bought the Clockwork, still waiting for it to come in. I haven't seen anyone really post in here with it. Pretty much the same bike though right, at least most of it?
It's essentially an Hour that comes with brakes and a freewheel. I got one because it's cheaper to buy a cog and lockring than to buy a new cog and a front brake. Also, I think the orange looks really great.

Here are the pics of mine, all stock except for the 17t Surly cog and the ghetto fab top tube pad. Excuse the horrid cell phone picture quality, it looks ten times better in person.





It's been a real head-turner here on campus, I've had at least 4 people come up to me in the past week and tell me how much they like it. What color did you get?
mickey_ is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 07:28 PM
  #697  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The ROC/Buffalo, NY
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new pic...i need to clean all the salt poo off!
must...get...new...seat...ASAP! & pedals.

foofmaster is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 07:51 PM
  #698  
Senior Member
 
Sikbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey_
It's essentially an Hour that comes with brakes and a freewheel. I got one because it's cheaper to buy a cog and lockring than to buy a new cog and a front brake. Also, I think the orange looks really great.

Here are the pics of mine, all stock except for the 17t Surly cog and the ghetto fab top tube pad. Excuse the horrid cell phone picture quality, it looks ten times better in person.





It's been a real head-turner here on campus, I've had at least 4 people come up to me in the past week and tell me how much they like it. What color did you get?
Thanks for the post. Yeah I got one for pretty much the same reason. How's the 17t run compared to the stock freewheel cog (if you even ran it on the stock one yet)?
I bought the burgundy (the Redskins fan in me had to go burgundy lol) one, I have yet to see pics of it besides the one on the website so I'll make sure to post it up when it comes in.
Sikbug is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 08:56 PM
  #699  
So tragically hip.
 
mickey_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MASHboro, NJ
Posts: 364

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 17t a lot more than the freewheel, but I'm a little biased as I was planning to go fixed before I even bought it. If you like how the burgundy looks on the website, you'll probably love how it looks in real life. The only complaint I have about the bike at all is that the paint seems to chip rather easily, which might be just because it's the first brand-new bike I've ridden in a long time and I'm always locking it to random things around campus. Nothing an orange sharpie can't fix!

Definitely post some pics when it comes in, I can't wait to see it.
mickey_ is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 11:53 PM
  #700  
Senior Member
 
Sikbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good, I was debating on putting a 17 or 16 when I get it. It should be here Thursday, I'll make sure to get some pics of it in the sunlight. I have a **** 80's windsor that I use to lock up, but thanks for the heads up on the paint chipping.
Sikbug is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.