Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

OT: College student costs

Old 08-05-08, 07:39 PM
  #26  
tepr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post

if you are caught doing it on-campus or in nearby housing you will have a rough next morning with mom and dad. Get caught again and you will have a rough time with your university.
This is absolutely false. Colleges realize that their students are adults. I have never heard of a university notifying a student's parents after single infraction. In fact I've never heard of it at all, and I know that at least my school will never bring someone's family into the situation unless there are serious worries about the student's health. In addition, most universities have wildly variable justice systems, and the degree of trouble you will be in with your school will be highly dependent on the specific situation.
tepr is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:00 PM
  #27  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tepr View Post
This is absolutely false. Colleges realize that their students are adults. I have never heard of a university notifying a student's parents after single infraction. In fact I've never heard of it at all, and I know that at least my school will never bring someone's family into the situation unless there are serious worries about the student's health. In addition, most universities have wildly variable justice systems, and the degree of trouble you will be in with your school will be highly dependent on the specific situation.
At my school (semi-private, but gets additional money from my state) parents ARE notified and students are subjected to the school justice system with heavy fines. I have witnessed about 10 guys in my hall all get nailed at once, including my roommate. Students might be adults but since 18 is under 21 a law is a law and the police are obligated to enforce it.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:02 PM
  #28  
joetotale
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
All I _will_ say is that drinking under 21 in the US is _ILLEGAL_ regardless of your stance on the law, and if you are caught doing it on-campus or in nearby housing you will have a rough next morning with mom and dad. Get caught again and you will have a rough time with your university.
Ha, when my friend got caught in our dorm, his punishment was to pour out his booze and make a bulletin board about underage drinking. Not exactly a rough time by any measure.
joetotale is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:04 PM
  #29  
tepr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
At my school (semi-private, but gets additional money from my state) parents ARE notified and students are subjected to the school justice system with heavy fines. I have witnessed about 10 guys in my hall all get nailed at once, including my roommate. Students might be adults but since 18 is under 21 a law is a law and the police are obligated to enforce it.
well yes the police are obligated to enforce it. however, the college isnt obligated to notify the parents or the police. thats crazy.
tepr is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:08 PM
  #30  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the judicial and police system, along with (I guess) how much your college treats you as "adults." Our school is patrolled by both city and campus police; the campus doofs more often look the other way but I have seen them catch kids. Once caught the police take the kid's ID number and send that through the judicial board who, in all the cases I saw, fined the kids and made a call home. I do not go to some ultra-religious school either.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:17 PM
  #31  
sirpoopalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator View Post
Er how the hell is living on campus cheapear again? You PAID FOR THE ROOM & BOARD at the start of the year!!!11
that's what i meant. r/b is a singular expense charged to you, rather than monthy rent and weekly groceries
sirpoopalot is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:20 PM
  #32  
sain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdfresh View Post
So this is obviously an OT thread, but how much money would you say the average college student spends on beer/other things a week? I have people telling me anywhere from $30-50, would you agree?
To keep things on topic. $20 bucks a week for alcohol is fine. Enough for a 30. And for a bottle of most liquors. All which should last you one-two weekends.

Budget about another 20-30 for pizza, snacks, movies, random stuff during the week and you'll be alright.

Originally Posted by sirpoopalot View Post
that's what i meant. r/b is a singular expense charged to you, rather than monthy rent and weekly groceries
At my college its cheaper to live off campus, If you broke down the monthly cost of living on campus (multiply by 2 or 4 depending on how many people you live with in your dorm) You could easily find a house to live in. Plus each person would get their own room. No stupid dorm rules, own kitchen, plus a lot more freedom.

Also our meal plan broke down to about $6-7 a meal. Thats a good amount of change to buy food with.

But again a lot of colleges are different. So YMMV

Last edited by sain; 08-05-08 at 08:26 PM.
sain is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:21 PM
  #33  
tepr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
It depends on the judicial and police system, along with (I guess) how much your college treats you as "adults." Our school is patrolled by both city and campus police; the campus doofs more often look the other way but I have seen them catch kids. Once caught the police take the kid's ID number and send that through the judicial board who, in all the cases I saw, fined the kids and made a call home. I do not go to some ultra-religious school either.
hmm. makes more sense if the regular police patrol campus. still weird that they have to call home.
tepr is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:21 PM
  #34  
Fishermoe14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going into my 3rd year now and havent spent more than 30 bucks on booze for all 2 years i finished...
Fishermoe14 is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:26 PM
  #35  
gnat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 161

Bikes: iro markvpro, eai bareknuckle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
Living on campus is MUCH cheaper. In Philadelphia at Temple you pay about $5000 a year for room and board -- good luck getting by in any apartment on that little amount. Where you end up paying is the Freshman 15... or 20... or..., when you take advantage of fried food at fourth meal and too much soft ice cream and have to burn it all off during the summer.
I went to Temple...Philly is a cheap city cost of living wise. You can have a room in a decent house in south philly for under 300 a month. Seeing as you pay for half a room in freshman dorms (which are awful) and the price goes up as you move into other buildings which are monitored by the university, I would argue that it's much cheaper to live off campus, not to mention more fun. Plus, aren't dorms closed over breaks and summers and such? Granted, I was in a freshman dorm 5 years ago, and I moved off campus that summer...but I'm pretty sure paying for off campus housing is a rip off at Temple University.
gnat is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:31 PM
  #36  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sain View Post
To keep things on topic. $20 bucks a week for alcohol is fine. Enough for a 30. And for a bottle of most liquors. All which should last you one-two weekends.

Budget about another 20-30 for pizza, snacks, movies, random stuff during the week and you'll be alright

At my college its cheaper to live off campus, If you broke down the monthly cost of living on campus (multiply by 2 or 4 depending on how many people you live with in your dorm) You could easily find a house to live in. Plus each person would get their own room. No stupid dorm rules, own kitchen, plus a lot more freedom.

Also our meal plan broke down to about $6-7 a meal. Thats a good amount of change to buy food with.

But again a lot of colleges are different. So YMMV


That's assuming you have friends. For those of us who don't have acquaintances who we would like to live with, or would prefer to live alone, living off-campus is in general prohibitively expensive. The "college sponsored" housing ranges from $550 to $650 a month per student, plus electricity! In North Philadelphia! I try to convince peers that a group of four could find a ridiculously nice place in better areas for $2000 a month but they will have none of it.

Me? I'd rather have a nice room to live in at home until I have more money. I couldn't stand living with others who are not edge and do not share my sense of cleanliness. Plus the 40 mile a day commute will kick you into shape fast. Even once I do have the ability to live on my own, I am not too sure I am a city person.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 08:36 PM
  #37  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
I went to Temple...Philly is a cheap city cost of living wise. You can have a room in a decent house in south philly for under 300 a month. Seeing as you pay for half a room in freshman dorms...
If you enjoy house living. As I said in my previous post I will not stand for a house with other acquaintances. For an actual apartment you can live alone in it is prohibitively expensive, even the stinkers in Ucity and the southern tips of South Philly.

FWIW I found my room in peabody (as you might have assumed) plenty spacious for my lifestyle. I could live comfortably without complaint for a few years if I could have both sides of a peabody room. I loved living in dorms and for my lifestyle it was very different and was equally as "fun" as off-campus would have been. Now I have no interest in city living mainly because I don't find anything really appealing as compared to the quiet, non-suburban-sprawl, suburban neighborhoods like the main line.

So I don't look like an ass, I will disclaim that others may find the aforementioned independent housing a good option if you have 3 or 4 trustworthy friends to live with.

Last edited by peabodypride; 08-05-08 at 08:42 PM.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 09:04 PM
  #38  
LazrShark
Like whoa.
 
LazrShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drinking underage is that big of a deal in the states?

In Canada, or Edmonton at least underage drinking isn't such a huge deal.

If some 16, or 17 year olds get drunk, nobody is really going to care, and their parents are most likely just going to talk to them about it.
LazrShark is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 09:09 PM
  #39  
peabodypride
No plan.
 
peabodypride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 2,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LazrShark View Post
Drinking underage is that big of a deal in the states?

In Canada, or Edmonton at least underage drinking isn't such a huge deal.

If some 16, or 17 year olds get drunk, nobody is really going to care, and their parents are most likely just going to talk to them about it.
I go by the stance a law is a law. When students who do not feel comfortable around others consuming alcohol by association (especially considering school-matched roommates), and when the on-campus, school-recognized fraternities are corrupt and the police look the other way when they openly serve alcohol to minors, there is no excuse. A campus should be a place of self discovery, being on your own and alone, and academic and physical exercise. Alcohol in the way it is handled now and how it is idolized as a crowning part of the "college experience" does not belong there, especially when it is against the law. I find less offense when two close roommate-friends share a drink behind closed doors, but the antics and parties that go on in school and on-campus housing is inexcusable. I, unfortunately, was suckered to attend one in-dorm party. Guess what? The RA was uncaring even as the dorm's door was wide open with clearly visible alcohol and drunken students! I feel that there is simply way too much emphasis on alcohol in the collegiate system and way too much "head turning" among officials.

As I said, I find the idolization of alcohol consumption as a "rite of passage" and an everyday activity for many students is dishonest to their true selves and a ruinous activity for first-year students who have not undergone a thorough Romanticism-like self-discovery process. It is a negative part of our high-school and college society that, one will no doubt argue, has led to many accidents, failing students, and other academic and personal troubles that would be avoided if alcohol were not such a cultural symbol in America.

Perhaps other countries handle this better by, as the trite argument goes, allowing teenagers to experience alcohol before college legally and, therefore, not having some crazy allure in the dorms? I have not read any sociology or first-hand reports on this or have personally lived in a different country myself.

Last edited by peabodypride; 08-05-08 at 09:17 PM.
peabodypride is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 09:30 PM
  #40  
LazrShark
Like whoa.
 
LazrShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm _NOT_ going to get into the booze and weed discussion
lolz
LazrShark is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 09:56 PM
  #41  
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina
 
andre nickatina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 4,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say I spent about $10-$20 a weekend (Thurs-Sat) depending on what I was drinking and how much. Usually atleast a sixer of tall boys and I'd switch between PBR and microbrews...
andre nickatina is offline  
Old 08-05-08, 10:09 PM
  #42  
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina
 
andre nickatina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: OR
Posts: 4,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
I go by the stance a law is a law. When students who do not feel comfortable around others consuming alcohol by association (especially considering school-matched roommates), and when the on-campus, school-recognized fraternities are corrupt and the police look the other way when they openly serve alcohol to minors, there is no excuse. A campus should be a place of self discovery, being on your own and alone, and academic and physical exercise. Alcohol in the way it is handled now and how it is idolized as a crowning part of the "college experience" does not belong there, especially when it is against the law. I find less offense when two close roommate-friends share a drink behind closed doors, but the antics and parties that go on in school and on-campus housing is inexcusable. I, unfortunately, was suckered to attend one in-dorm party. Guess what? The RA was uncaring even as the dorm's door was wide open with clearly visible alcohol and drunken students! I feel that there is simply way too much emphasis on alcohol in the collegiate system and way too much "head turning" among officials.

As I said, I find the idolization of alcohol consumption as a "rite of passage" and an everyday activity for many students is dishonest to their true selves and a ruinous activity for first-year students who have not undergone a thorough Romanticism-like self-discovery process. It is a negative part of our high-school and college society that, one will no doubt argue, has led to many accidents, failing students, and other academic and personal troubles that would be avoided if alcohol were not such a cultural symbol in America.

Perhaps other countries handle this better by, as the trite argument goes, allowing teenagers to experience alcohol before college legally and, therefore, not having some crazy allure in the dorms? I have not read any sociology or first-hand reports on this or have personally lived in a different country myself.
Wow, maybe I didn't go to the right college or something but my first year was not quite the "Romanticism-like" mystical experience of finding my true Self. More like initial excitement that wore off after 3 or 4 months and was followed by eventual disdain of living in a small "bike friendly" (read: not very bike friendly) city when I'm really more of a bigger city kind of guy, all the while being stoked on school because I like to study. I think you've gotten overly idealistic and detached in thinking that everyone is some sort of mystical-initiate in the making when they enter college...
andre nickatina is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 12:11 AM
  #43  
bdfresh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not going to drink or smoke in college, im just trying to see how much more of a motivator i could find in it. I really know it's bad, i don't have anytihng against those who do it.
bdfresh is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 12:37 AM
  #44  
Mr Wiggles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll find ISU's campus is a lot more fun to ride on.
Mr Wiggles is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 01:11 AM
  #45  
bdfresh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Wiggles View Post
You'll find ISU's campus is a lot more fun to ride on.
Really? How do you know, have you ridden there before?
bdfresh is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 08:06 AM
  #46  
chris wielk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: brooklyn
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first 3 years of school i spent a lot of money on booze and partying etc. easily 100-150 dollars a week. i go to school in new york city though so everything's very expensive, you can be in bars until at least 4am and buy beer 24/7. the end of the last semester and this summer has really been the first time i've really significantly cut back just due to being sort of over it. i'll grab a beer or two every night with my friends before they "go out" for the night, aka they don't have jobs so they don't have to be up at 7:30 like me. in the past though whenever i wanted to buy something that was relatively expensive i would just stop drinking for like 3 weeks and save a few hundred dollars. the other killer thing with drinking, or smoking weed or whatever i guess, is there are hidden expenses, like the post bar drunken meal that can add on to the night, or that you smoke twice as many cigarettes, or worst of all wasting money buying girls drinks. i won't say that i haven't had a lot of good times, but i definitely wasted a lot of time and money.
chris wielk is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 08:48 AM
  #47  
dirtyphotons
antisocialite
 
dirtyphotons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i had quite a few mystical experiences where i found my true self freshman year of college. but i was on quite a bit of acid at the time.

op, if you don't want to drink and smoke good for you. i think you'll find that there are a lot of people who have made the same decision if you know where to look. also i hope that you find a good way to have fun with those who have made different decisions from yours, because college is a good time to meet all kinds of people.

but if you're looking to justify your decision by saving some money every week, look elsewhere. there are a lot of pressures put on you as a freshman and the impulse to be frugal likely isn't gonna be enough to xstaytruex you've gotta have your own reasons that you're confident about, because you better believe they'll be challenged.

good luck and have fun.
dirtyphotons is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 10:02 AM
  #48  
nayr497
Senior Member
 
nayr497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nilbog
Posts: 1,671

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride View Post
HIGH FIVE! ALRIGHT! Another straightedger on this board!!!!!

I'm _NOT_ going to get into the booze and weed discussion because I will make very few friends and many enemies debating that, but let's say you expand your spendings on what you have. Sometimes I'd have $15 to my name and could live with a functioning bike and a meal plan just fine. Other times I had $600 that went to bike parts, shopping sprees at American Apparel, and so on. The big thing is to take advantage of your school's "school only money" that gets put onto your account and you can spend anywhere around campus. Bonus: if you have a loans or financial aid you can get this money put on your tuition and billed through financial aid.
You don't consume alcohol, drugs, or caffeine, but you go on "shopping sprees" at American Apparel? That is totally f*cked.

So much for sobriety helping a person make rational decisions...
nayr497 is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 11:13 AM
  #49  
ryanlovesyou
veggieburglar
 
ryanlovesyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Barbara/San Jose, CA
Posts: 647

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Santa Barbara, CA living on campus is way more expensive than off campus. I have a sweet job with my university's Apartment Living department that pays my rent in my own apartment, so that's really nice. I've been working with university housing (RA, RC) for 3 years now, its definitely the way to go if you think you can handle it (its not always the best job in the world). I keep my expenses low cause this is a very bike friendly place and I only fill my car up once every 2-3 months. Food, weed, and my cell phone plan are probably my biggest expenses at the moment- the university pays all my utilities as well. Having worked as the guys who are supposed to "bust" kids drinking in the dorms, we're not very crazy about this here. We definitely don't notify parents unless its really bad and the person is under 18. Otherwise, they're adults and they can deal with that **** on their own.
ryanlovesyou is offline  
Old 08-06-08, 11:18 AM
  #50  
Buglady
Senior Member
 
Buglady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,339

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 2012 MEC Silhouette hybrid; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LazrShark View Post
Drinking underage is that big of a deal in the states?

In Canada, or Edmonton at least underage drinking isn't such a huge deal.

If some 16, or 17 year olds get drunk, nobody is really going to care, and their parents are most likely just going to talk to them about it.
Well, that and our drinking age IS 18. (19 in some provinces). So jumping the gun by a year or two isn't a huge deal, versus three or four years.

Then again, I have never understood the 21 thing personally. You can vote, join the military, and get married before you can legally order a beer? How does that make sense?
Buglady is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.