Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Clip of all the Police brutality against cyclists in NYC.

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Clip of all the Police brutality against cyclists in NYC.

Reply

Old 08-05-08, 06:51 PM
  #1  
capolover
No Sidewalks.
Thread Starter
 
capolover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago Ill
Posts: 571

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clip of all the Police brutality against cyclists in NYC.

http://glassbeadcollective.blip.tv/file/784711/
capolover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 06:59 PM
  #2  
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,321

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
well this hasn't been posted before
operator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 07:00 PM
  #3  
eddiebrannan
Senior Member
 
eddiebrannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,363

Bikes: DW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
eddiebrannan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 07:47 PM
  #4  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what the **** was that asian chick's problem?
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 07:49 PM
  #5  
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Posts: 6,087

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
what the **** was that asian chick's problem?
She was arrested for nothing! Did you even watch the ****ing clip?
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 07:50 PM
  #6  
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Posts: 6,087

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by capolover View Post
Welcome to America! Where you come to be free just to find out its just another **** hole!
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:16 PM
  #7  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she wasn't doing NOTHING


I swear, some people don't know how to keep themselves out of trouble.


if I were in that situation, I would have calmly complied with the officer. Why? because they can give me a really ****ing hard time. I may not ultimately end up in trouble, but they can still give me a hard ****ing time if they want to.

I would have shown my id. Then if the officer told me to be on my way, I would have said, yes sir/ma'am, and I would have LEFT.
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:32 PM
  #8  
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,543

Bikes: tirove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but the point of this is that you don't have to show your id to an officer unless you're under arrest, and even then you have rights, you don't have to show your id just because you're asked under all circumstances.

the person who did comply was let off. they just figured they'd arrest the asian girl to question her, thinking she was a bad person because she didn't show the id. that is the part that isn't okay. but it's only that part that isn't okay.

the screaming and **** is what got all those charges brought against her.

the thing is, she was taking a picture of an arrest. she was a safe distance as to not interfere, and she left when they started asking about her. she didn't do anything wrong and the police still put her under arrest. that's what they mean by she did nothing.

she didn't do anything wrong before being detained, that's what they mean when they say she did nothing.

the 'police state' idea is that the police operate without the interests of the people's rights in mind, they make people give up their rights so they can do what they want to accomplish.

none of this was brutality.

it was biased, unlawful, and forceful, but it wasn't brutal. don't start screaming and you won't get taken to the ground. that or bike through an intersection when a cop is wanting you to stop.
cc700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:37 PM
  #9  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exactly.


It just pisses me off when people have such an ignorant outlook about things though.


The cops don't know you. They want to find out about you to make sure you're not a wanted criminal, a 14 year old kid that's hammered drunk, etc. That's why they want to see your ID...What's so hard about just showing it? I don't see it to be an issue at all. Show it and be on your way, or stand up for your "rights" and go to jail for it. What's the point? Is it that big of a deal to show them your ID card?
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 08:52 PM
  #10  
City_Smasher
Senior Member
 
City_Smasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
but the point of this is that you don't have to show your id to an officer unless you're under arrest, and even then you have rights, you don't have to show your id just because you're asked under all circumstances.
It's a law that you must carry ID at all times. You can even be arrested for not carrying ID. The police can ask for your ID anytime, anyplace. They have the legal right to know who they are dealing with, regardless of whether you're under arrest, or not.

When you're pulled over in a car for speeding, the police will ask for your ID along with proof of insurance, even though you're not being placed under arrest.
City_Smasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:11 PM
  #11  
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,543

Bikes: tirove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by City_Smasher View Post
It's a law that you must carry ID at all times. You can even be arrested for not carrying ID. The police can ask for your ID anytime, anyplace. They have the legal right to know who they are dealing with, regardless of whether you're under arrest, or not.

When you're pulled over in a car for speeding, the police will ask for your ID along with proof of insurance, even though you're not being placed under arrest.
carrying it and showing it are not the same.

you must identify yourself if questioned, but you don't have to show your id if you don't want to. if the cop thinks you're lying, that's when you have to show your id because they'll want to charge you with lying to a police officer which is basically obstruction. they cannot ask to see your idea without charging you with something or having reason to believe you've done something they can charge you with.

there was no reason to believe she had or was going to do/ne anything illegal.

that's why the cops were asking a trick question, "do you have id on you?" so that you either say no and they can arrest you or you say yes and then they can lead you on to give a bad reason as to why you won't show it.

it's like asking 'do you know how fast you were going?' or 'do you know why i pulled you over' because if you say yes or no you're ****ed.

simply asking the officer "is there a problem officer?" instead of answering these compound or trick questions is basically the only way to avoid waiving your rights against self incrimination or talking to leo's without a lawyer present.

of course they're going to arrest you if you don't show ID... but there was no REASON to suspect this girl for being drunk or a wanted felon... she was just taking a picture.

the context is what makes this problematic. there was no reason to arrest her other than her walking away instead of showing her id.

if she had said "i know my rights and i will comply with what you say so as not to interfere with your work" instead of straight walking away then maybe it would have gone differently. but more than likely, it wouldn't have because the police saw her taking pictures of them and wanted to know who she was, regardless of her rights.

Last edited by cc700; 08-05-08 at 09:24 PM.
cc700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:17 PM
  #12  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she was taking pictures (like 25-30 of them) persistently, in very close proximity to the officers making an arrest. By the looks of the video, when an officer approached her, she did not immediately acknowledge the officer. On top of that, she acted in a way unbecoming of a person dealing with an officer of the law (respectfully) and then proceeded to flip out when the officer arrested her after she left the scene before the officer was through with her.
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:23 PM
  #13  
iwegian
Steel snob by accident
 
iwegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 648

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is this posted in a cop forum yet

que ***** hitting fan
iwegian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:26 PM
  #14  
GregLast
Senior Member
 
GregLast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by City_Smasher View Post
It's a law that you must carry ID at all times. You can even be arrested for not carrying ID. The police can ask for your ID anytime, anyplace. They have the legal right to know who they are dealing with, regardless of whether you're under arrest, or not.

When you're pulled over in a car for speeding, the police will ask for your ID along with proof of insurance, even though you're not being placed under arrest.

Right but in the instance of being pulled over, there is information on the license that they use the pull up your driving record and current address among other things. They are also making sure you are licensed to be driving.

An officer does have the legal right to know who they are dealing with, but only under the circumstances of an arrest. Up until that point they have no legal right to make you reveal any sort of identity to them.
GregLast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:27 PM
  #15  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:rolleyes
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:27 PM
  #16  
drafters65
Senior Member
 
drafters65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 445

Bikes: 02' Fuji Team, 85' Miyata ninety SS, 18' Citizen Rome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
YAY a brainwashing clip...
drafters65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:27 PM
  #17  
_hollister_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Glad I live in Canada. It's a little more relaxed here.

And yes, I have been handcuffed through my handlebars and arrested, held with no charges. Victoria police suck.

In Vancouver our leading Mayoral candidate participates in Critical Mass often....
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:31 PM
  #18  
iansmash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've run red lights and not had cops bat an eye at me...


maybe it's geography


maybe it's because I slowed down and looked both ways before I proceeded to speed up again and the cop at the light recognized that
iansmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:39 PM
  #19  
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,543

Bikes: tirove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
she was taking pictures (like 25-30 of them) persistently, in very close proximity to the officers making an arrest. By the looks of the video, when an officer approached her, she did not immediately acknowledge the officer. On top of that, she acted in a way unbecoming of a person dealing with an officer of the law (respectfully) and then proceeded to flip out when the officer arrested her after she left the scene before the officer was through with her.
who's judging proximity? she was several feet away, with enough separation that she would not have interfered. that's clear from the video. and you can't tell from the video if she did or did not acknowledge the officer or how she treated the officer. she kept shooting pictures, so yes it's probable that she wasn't being respectful but they still had no reason to arrest her.


this is not "police state" in any real sense of the term. in a police state, police find out who you are and then they kill you and your family at night while you sleep.

this is not police brutality either, this is a loud girl screaming because she can't handle herself properly or exercise her rights.

this is, however, a good example of how the police are arresting people who shouldn't be arrested in efforts to make examples and scare people into not breaking small traffic laws.

the big deal here is that they're stopping people from documenting them from a safe distance. it's a snowball effect. first it's not within ten feet, then twenty, then at all.
cc700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 09:41 PM
  #20  
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,543

Bikes: tirove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
I've run red lights and not had cops bat an eye at me...


maybe it's geography


maybe it's because I slowed down and looked both ways before I proceeded to speed up again and the cop at the light recognized that
you don't mean geography you mean locality.

and when i see cops i put feet down at stops and i don't run lights or signs. when i don't see cops, sometimes i slow and roll through signs, but i stop at lights.
cc700 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:23 PM
  #21  
City_Smasher
Senior Member
 
City_Smasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
Right but in the instance of being pulled over, there is information on the license that they use the pull up your driving record and current address among other things. They are also making sure you are licensed to be driving.

An officer does have the legal right to know who they are dealing with, but only under the circumstances of an arrest. Up until that point they have no legal right to make you reveal any sort of identity to them.
Cops can stop you for reasonable suspicion, which allows the police to see your ID, even though you are not under arrest. There are inumerable scenarios where they can ask for your ID without you being placed under arrest.

If they were to ask who you are without checking ID, you would then be free to give any name at all, with the police being none the wiser. It's basic police work.
City_Smasher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:27 PM
  #22  
NewYorkMantle
Senior Member
 
NewYorkMantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the asian girl annoyed the hell out of me; only **** could justify that much whining.
NewYorkMantle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:37 PM
  #23  
schnee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by iansmash View Post
she was taking pictures (like 25-30 of them) persistently, in very close proximity to the officers making an arrest. By the looks of the video, when an officer approached her, she did not immediately acknowledge the officer. On top of that, she acted in a way unbecoming of a person dealing with an officer of the law (respectfully) and then proceeded to flip out when the officer arrested her after she left the scene before the officer was through with her.
She was taking pictures.... which is basically the same as looking at something. What's wrong with looking at something? Seriously? Why shouldn't she be taking pictures?

The officers approached her because they were physically intimidating every single person who was taking good pictures of their police action. The blocked POV when they could, intimidated others, and arrested everyone they could. They were abusing their authority in every way they could short of hitting people with batons.

When questioned about her ID, she simply walked away which is her constitutional right. Calmly, simply, quietly, she tried to walk away and five cops then proceeded to push her to the ground.
schnee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:41 PM
  #24  
iamtim
Senior Member
 
iamtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,044

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hmm.

I ask this only out of ignorance: where does it state that we do not have to provide identification if requested by an officer of the law? Or, on the other side of the fence, where does it state that we have to provide identification if requested?
iamtim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 10:51 PM
  #25  
deathhare
:jarckass:
 
deathhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by City_Smasher View Post
It's a law that you must carry ID at all times. You can even be arrested for not carrying ID.

That in itself is a violation of a humans rights. Of course Americans dont usually feel like it is because theyve grown up with this idea.
Its ****ing bull****.
Here in Japan they have fought long to keep that from happening for natives and so far they have succeeded. I think its great.
deathhare is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service