Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   new to me 83 paramount (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/453923-new-me-83-paramount.html)

bad news hughes 08-13-08 08:18 PM

new to me 83 paramount
 
1 Attachment(s)
i know it is set up pretty wonky, but thats the way it was when i got it today:

83 paramount with cinelli bottom bracket,
full miche group,
nitto njs stem and bars, ((also have the miche stem and headset (not pictured)),
velocity deep v rims (going to lace some nice box section rims to those miche hubs and ditch the v's)
comfy turbo saddle


needs a little paint and some TLC. hopefully the chrome on the lugs is still in good shape under all of that paint.

hxzero 08-13-08 08:37 PM

Nice!

bad news hughes 08-13-08 09:33 PM

thanks! i'm really psyched

kmart 08-14-08 01:45 AM

I'm hoping you're not one of those guys that's going to "color coordinate" their bike ("ooh, the frame is blue! I know what to do here: get a blue chain, blue Deep Vs, a blue stem and a blue grill 4 realz!").

It could use some dazzling up (unless you prefer low key or purely functional stuff), but don't go too far with it. It's too nice a bike :)

J-Rad 08-14-08 01:57 AM

jealous. make it classy.

bad news hughes 08-14-08 06:24 AM


Originally Posted by kmart (Post 7269957)
I'm hoping you're not one of those guys that's going to "color coordinate" their bike ("ooh, the frame is blue! I know what to do here: get a blue chain, blue Deep Vs, a blue stem and a blue grill 4 realz!").

It could use some dazzling up (unless you prefer low key or purely functional stuff), but don't go too far with it. It's too nice a bike :)

no way, the most color coordinating i want to do, is chrome the lugs, and maybe get some silver-colored rims and spokes (maybe open pro's? any suggestions are welcome- something light and durable for ****ty nyc roads, but don't want it to look too out of place on that bike).

when i paint, i want to chose a color that is true to the original colors of paramounts of that time. thinking maybe black, but not too sure yet. considering getting an old decal set, but maybe it will be better to leave the decals off

the only controversial thing i'm planning on doing is putting a brake on (so i don't die). looking at clamp-on options, because i am definitely not drilling the fork

kmart 08-14-08 06:52 AM

It's pretty easy to make your own clamp for a rear brake using two steel plates. Clamp the plates near the rear seatstay bridge, drill a hole through both plates and thread the brake caliper through, clamping it with some washers and a nut on the other side. For the front it's more difficult to make a clamp that is strong but doesn't harm the fork legs, but they can be bought.

Open Pros get my vote for low key aesthetics and functionality. I have no idea what would be period correct for a Paramount, especially for a track model.

ornmnt 08-14-08 08:01 AM

Nice. I love Paramounts. Good luck!

paramount 08-14-08 05:16 PM

Great bike! Congratulations.

Please post some good photos when you're finished setting it up.

ksyrius 08-14-08 05:38 PM

to chrome those lugs (assuming your frame is chromed underneath), strip the paint, buff/polish/shine the the lugs you want showing, mask off those lugs and then repaint in a new color.

since you mentioned you already want to do a repaint youll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

btw, nice bike

bad news hughes 08-14-08 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by paramount (Post 7273548)
Great bike! Congratulations.

Please post some good photos when you're finished setting it up.

I will for sure :)

bad news hughes 08-14-08 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by ksyrius (Post 7273653)
to chrome those lugs (assuming your frame is chromed underneath), strip the paint, buff/polish/shine the the lugs you want showing, mask off those lugs and then repaint in a new color.

since you mentioned you already want to do a repaint youll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

btw, nice bike

Thanks for rhe advice and kind words. I am hoping there is chrome on those lugs, and that it is in decent shape. Not sure If I should have it painted professionally, or to just give it a go myself..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.