Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Question about frame pump.. (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/492476-question-about-frame-pump.html)

bkowa092 12-06-08 10:34 PM

Question about frame pump..
 
Hey guys, first off I would like to know if the stock wheels on a Dawes SST have Presta or Schraeder valves?

Also, will this frame pump: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=94 include the different valve heads, or will I need to purchase the head separately? I am almost positive that by "smarthead" they are referring to a head that works on both kinds of valves, but I figured I would ask and make sure.

bboysubhuman 12-06-08 10:36 PM

Presta

bkowa092 12-06-08 10:44 PM

Thank you for the response.

Anyone have an answer to my second question?

GoodEyeCycler 12-06-08 11:17 PM


Originally Posted by bkowa092 (Post 7978189)
Thank you for the response.

Anyone have an answer to my second question?

You only posted a link to an image, so hard to say. But I'd imagine it does. Seems like most frame pumps I see for sale have at least a presta adapter on them. I bought some cheapo wal-mart one, pump sucked, but I ended up using that adapter all the time with my old floor pump.

bkowa092 12-06-08 11:22 PM

Wow, failure on my part. Here is the link to the actual product: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ails&ProdID=94

cbfight 12-06-08 11:25 PM

I have that bike pump and it's marginally useless for anything other than getting barely enough air in the tires to make the limp back home. Yes, I suppose one could get 120 psi using that tiny thing, but it's a monstrous pain to do so, not to mention unless you have a tree or rock handy, very difficult to brace the wheel as the bars build up. I've torn my fair share of valve stems when fixing flats on the road.

GoodEyeCycler 12-06-08 11:36 PM


Originally Posted by cbfight (Post 7978366)
I have that bike pump and it's marginally useless for anything other than getting barely enough air in the tires to make the limp back home. Yes, I suppose one could get 120 psi using that tiny thing, but it's a monstrous pain to do so, not to mention unless you have a tree or rock handy, very difficult to brace the wheel as the bars build up. I've torn my fair share of valve stems when fixing flats on the road.

haha. The first night I got my bike I pumped the tires to 100 using my previously mentioned Wal-Mart pump, it was all I had on hand. The gauge on it went past 120 so I figured it would work out alright, haha.... wrong

My right pec and tricep were pretty sore the next day. And the pump stem thingy has a nice 45 degree bend in it now, when it used to be straight. :innocent:

bkowa092 12-06-08 11:43 PM

I was just going to get it in case of emergencies. Aka filling the limp enough to get home.

cbfight 12-07-08 12:04 AM


Originally Posted by bkowa092 (Post 7978467)
I was just going to get it in case of emergencies. Aka filling the limp enough to get home.

Have you considered the Road Morph offered by Topeak? It's significantly better than the one you're looking at, for just a bit more.

http://www.rei.com/product/648089

You don't need to settle for "just enough to limp back on" with mini pumps, really.

croscoe 12-07-08 12:24 AM

Look into the Topeak Micro Rocket. It's only 6.3" long.

Much smaller than the Morph pumps.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.