Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

what GLOVES are you wearing?

Old 04-04-09, 09:17 PM
  #26  
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano View Post
you love pictures of you.
i am a photographer, yes I do, trust me i have a photo for every occasion.

this one got published today




and here is a pic of me editting photos

c0urt is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 08:37 AM
  #27  
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 6,878

Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
i am a photographer, yes I do, trust me i have a photo for every occasion.

this one got published today

and here is a pic of me editting photos
nice job! i went to philadelphias pillow fight yesterday.
__________________

α
adriano is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 08:56 AM
  #28  
artesc
artesc all the way.
 
artesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 263

Bikes: 2008 Redline 925 (bleh!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
i am a photographer
Umm, really? And you're editing pictures on a consumer level macbook which has possibly the worst color representation/reproduction on that end of the notebook market? Do you have a MacPro with a calibrated ViewSonic screen hidden somewhere off to the side? And where exactly did you get that picture published? The local community college's daily newspaper? Because it isn't very good.

Sorry to be a dick, but I hate it when people are full of themselves and see a need to constantly and shamelessly promote themselves, which apparently you like to do.... (from your blog) "I think showing off is probably the entire reason I ride a fixed gear sometimes."


Oh, and here are my gloves. I love them, but a little pricey for what they are.


Last edited by artesc; 04-05-09 at 09:27 AM.
artesc is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 09:21 AM
  #29  
ted_major
Senior Member
 
ted_major's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been wearing a pair of work gloves from the big box store:
ted_major is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 01:40 PM
  #30  
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
Umm, really? And you're editing pictures on a consumer level macbook which has possibly the worst color representation/reproduction on that end of the notebook market? Do you have a MacPro with a calibrated ViewSonic screen hidden somewhere off to the side? And where exactly did you get that picture published? The local community college's daily newspaper? Because it isn't very good.

Sorry to be a dick, but I hate it when people are full of themselves and see a need to constantly and shamelessly promote themselves, which apparently you like to do.... [b](from your blog) "I think showing off is probably the entire reason I ride a fixed gear sometimes."
it is ok really, we all have out pet peeves. since you don't know your computers I wont hold it against you, in the pic it is a ibook, that's an old pic, and what I started out on. i am using a consumer level macbook with a color calibrated screen, maxed out on ram. Mostly because I travel a lot.

it is amazing how easy it is to get published if you just try, and well promote yourself a little

and most photog's are either really humble or full of them selves, it is the whole self promotion thing.

and it is published here
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/wor...73717.67711901
and in an atlanta travel guide. it isnt my favorite pic, but if someone wants it and comes to me for it, i am not going to argue.
c0urt is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 01:45 PM
  #31  
fauxtrot
Junior Member
 
fauxtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

they're comfy, CHEAP and allow for some airflow...
fauxtrot is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 01:54 PM
  #32  
artesc
artesc all the way.
 
artesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 263

Bikes: 2008 Redline 925 (bleh!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
it is ok really, we all have out pet peeves. since you don't know your computers I wont hold it against you, in the pic it is a ibook, that's an old pic, and what I started out on. i am using a consumer level macbook with a color calibrated screen, maxed out on ram. Mostly because I travel a lot.

it is amazing how easy it is to get published if you just try, and well promote yourself a little

and most photog's are either really humble or full of them selves, it is the whole self promotion thing.

and it is published here
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/wor...73717.67711901
and in an atlanta travel guide. it isnt my favorite pic, but if someone wants it and comes to me for it, i am not going to argue.
I'm sorry, I re-read my post and I came of really bi***y. I'm just, well, rather into photography myself (still an undergrad) and I guess I fall into that really humble spectrum. I cannot bring myself to promote myself, it feels like i'm whoring myself out or something and I am a bit on the shy side. I guess it will become necessary though, right? lol

sorry again. no hard feelings man!
artesc is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 02:01 PM
  #33  
xdrmusclex
the barbarian
Thread Starter
 
xdrmusclex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 324

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the sharing (-the ridiculous argument in the middle, sounds like you guys have some issues to work out, or maybe you are just in love?)

I am thinking about getting these:


they are motorcyle gloves and seem to gt good review, and have badass knuckle protection. for city riding (=falling and getting hit by cars) I would like some hardcore protection. And they look handy if I happen to get in a fight, saves the time of getting out boxing gloves
xdrmusclex is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 02:02 PM
  #34  
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
I'm sorry, I re-read my post and I came of really bi***y. I'm just, well, rather into photography myself (still an undergrad) and I guess I fall into that really humble spectrum. I cannot bring myself to promote myself, it feels like i'm whoring myself out or something and I am a bit on the shy side. I guess it will become necessary though, right? lol

sorry again. no hard feelings man!
none what so ever. the things that aggravate me I try not to post on bike forums. we would be here all day.

most of the photogs i know have their own cards, i make it a point to collect other peoples cards, but I don't have my own. seems a bit much.

but make friends, meet people, and make sure they know your name. then people will come to you just because yours was the first name they thought of, if for no other reason.
c0urt is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 02:03 PM
  #35  
c0urt
moving target
 
c0urt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: birmingham, al
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xdrmusclex View Post
thanks for all the sharing (-the ridiculous argument in the middle, sounds like you guys have some issues to work out, or maybe you are just in love?)

I am thinking about getting these:


they are motorcyle gloves and seem to gt good review, and have badass knuckle protection. for city riding (=falling and getting hit by cars) I would like some hardcore protection. And they look handy if I happen to get in a fight, saves the time of getting out boxing gloves

i just need a hug
and +1 on the motorcycle gloves.
c0urt is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 02:31 PM
  #36  
jhill44
Bicycle User
 
jhill44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65

Bikes: Redline Monocog 29er, Felt F1x Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


I have these Nashbar gloves in the half finger. They're great and cheap plus they come in different colors.
jhill44 is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 02:35 PM
  #37  
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA
 
LoRoK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really wish i could find the old adistar gloves with the leather palm. They last forever, they're soooo comfortable on the bars and the best fit ever. I love how you don't need to close or fasten them. I bought a couple pairs in small and once i sweated in them they broke in and fit like a glove (see what I did there?)
LoRoK is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 05:36 PM
  #38  
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM
 
Glynis27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 747

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Mechanix Wear M-pact gloves. They are tougher than most cycling gloves, are well padded and I can get a 3 pack for $18 on ebay. That is $6 a pair! Once you break them in they are perfect. I like to put them on my hands, put my hands in a sink of warm water, and then just sit there opening and closing my hand for a good long while. Once they dry, they will be soft and supple.
Glynis27 is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 06:30 PM
  #39  
cyrano138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 282

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Track, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Gravity G29 mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it still pretty cold to be riding up north? I have to admit, just about the last thing I want to be wearing during any kind of heat (10 months of the year here in FL) is something I don't absolutely have to be wearing. Gloves definitely fall into that category for me. Just curious.
cyrano138 is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 06:39 PM
  #40  
Geordi Laforge
Large Member
 
Geordi Laforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's early spring, so mid 30s to 50s. rainy/overcast with the occasional nice day.

I wear gloves in the summer time. if you ride with the proper gloves (not thick work or wool gloves or winter gloves), your hands will be sweaty but not hot.
Geordi Laforge is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 06:48 PM
  #41  
MASHeug
Not the guy from the film
 
MASHeug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


The newer version of these. Came included with my snowboard mitts, but can be purchased by them selves. i like them more than my older mx gloves.
MASHeug is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 06:52 PM
  #42  
cyrano138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 282

Bikes: 2008 Fuji Track, 1977 Raleigh Super Course, Gravity G29 mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge View Post
it's early spring, so mid 30s to 50s. rainy/overcast with the occasional nice day.

I wear gloves in the summer time. if you ride with the proper gloves (not thick work or wool gloves or winter gloves), your hands will be sweaty but not hot.
Are they mainly for padding, or extra grip, or something really cool I don't even know about?

Last edited by cyrano138; 04-05-09 at 06:56 PM.
cyrano138 is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 07:05 PM
  #43  
bbattle
.
 
bbattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rocket City, No'ala
Posts: 12,734

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, 1990 Gardin Shred, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
Are they mainly for padding, or extra grip, or something really cool I don't even know about?
There's a little bit of padding but mainly it's for grip and in case of a crash. Road rash on the palm of your hand is no fun.

Cyclists have white hands from wearing gloves all the time.

bbattle is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 07:54 PM
  #44  
ryanlovesyou
veggieburglar
 
ryanlovesyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Barbara/San Jose, CA
Posts: 647

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


These are the best gloves I have ever worn... I love them.
ryanlovesyou is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 08:06 PM
  #45  
zebede
Hello
 
zebede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suncoast, Florida
Posts: 843

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've been wearing a fingerless version of the Wells Lamont SUG (Sport Utility Glove) $4.95 at walmart, Going on the second season they have been very durable. The full finger versions are
appropriate for cycling.

http://www.wellslamont.com/pg_styled...php?style=1707
zebede is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 08:15 PM
  #46  
croscoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No gloves on the road. For trails, older Fox Digit gloves:
croscoe is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 08:29 PM
  #47  
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy
 
Gyeswho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 3,235

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear these $3 oldies when it starts to get warm. I also wear my old baseball gloves when it's a little chilly
Gyeswho is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 09:11 PM
  #48  
Geordi Laforge
Large Member
 
Geordi Laforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138 View Post
Are they mainly for padding, or extra grip, or something really cool I don't even know about?
mostly for the event of a crash -- I've crashed before and tore the skin off my palms. I couldnt ride [comfortably] until I was healed which sucked because I made a living on my bike at the time. some people ride with padded gloves for comfort, but I prefer non-padded gloves.
Geordi Laforge is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 09:32 PM
  #49  
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.
 
shapelike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,295

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyeswho View Post
I wear these $3 oldies when it starts to get warm. I also wear my old baseball gloves when it's a little chilly
You seem like a good guy ... I don't know how you went down such a bad path in life that you ended up wearing crocheted-back gloves.

*resumes throwing stones at his glass house while wearing the XC skiiing gloves he wore for most of the winter*
shapelike is offline  
Old 04-05-09, 09:53 PM
  #50  
synapsemusic
GORSH DAMNIT
 
synapsemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: blacksburg
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have crazy warm gloves i wear in the dead of winter, but on my 7am treks to campus i'll usually throw these on. warm enough, comfortable enough, and pretty neutral in terms of styling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
51007_blk_nw_xl.jpg (39.6 KB, 1 views)
synapsemusic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.