Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help on how to install cranks?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help on how to install cranks?

Old 02-24-10, 11:05 PM
  #1  
nathant53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help on how to install cranks?

Hello,

I just got a new frame and I need some help on how to install cranks on it.

I have a Windsor The Hour frame set with the stock bottom bracket ( bikes direct ). And a Pake crankset.

I need some help on how to put them on ( 1st I have to take them off my old frame) . Does anyone know a good video or guide on how to do this?

Please and Thank you.
nathant53 is offline  
Old 02-24-10, 11:35 PM
  #2  
Dannihilator
Still kicking.
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,658

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
You will need a crank puller to get the cranks off.
__________________
Appreciate the old bikes more than the new.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 02-24-10, 11:42 PM
  #3  
nathant53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I have that, but I don't know the steps and such.

Does anyone know a guide of video which teaches this?

This is my first time doing this on my own.
nathant53 is offline  
Old 02-24-10, 11:44 PM
  #4  
Dannihilator
Still kicking.
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,658

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
parktool.com
__________________
Appreciate the old bikes more than the new.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 12:09 AM
  #5  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,950
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
This is not a SSFG issue. Next time, ask in the mechanics forum. That's what it there for. Some great folks over there. Very helpful.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 12:39 AM
  #6  
GregLast
Senior Member
 
GregLast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
This is not a SSFG issue. Next time, ask in the mechanics forum. That's what it there for. Some great folks over there. Very helpful.

I'm getting really sick of this kind of response. How about you tell me exactly what is a SSFG issue then huh? We all ride bikes and why wouldn't a mechanical question be ok in a bike forum? If this forum were nothing but talking about which sick fixie to purchase this year, or which SS has the most tire clearance I wouldn't give two craps about this place.
GregLast is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 01:06 AM
  #7  
magic-conch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 144

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
I'm getting really sick of this kind of response. How about you tell me exactly what is a SSFG issue then huh? We all ride bikes and why wouldn't a mechanical question be ok in a bike forum? If this forum were nothing but talking about which sick fixie to purchase this year, or which SS has the most tire clearance I wouldn't give two craps about this place.
+1
magic-conch is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 02:00 AM
  #8  
brron
("'\( *,..,*)/"')
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 209

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Steel| IRO Mark V fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+10000
brron is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 02:06 AM
  #9  
Thetank
Senior Member
 
Thetank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,041
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
use park tool's site as mentioned but also don't forget about good ol' youtube.
Thetank is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 02:18 AM
  #10  
sharpsandflatts
Senior Member
 
sharpsandflatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bicycletutor.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/
sharpsandflatts is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 04:39 AM
  #11  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,950
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
I'm getting really sick of this kind of response. How about you tell me exactly what is a SSFG issue then huh? We all ride bikes and why wouldn't a mechanical question be ok in a bike forum? If this forum were nothing but talking about which sick fixie to purchase this year, or which SS has the most tire clearance I wouldn't give two craps about this place.
1) I don't care what you are really sick of.

2) You guys need to realize that there is more to this site than just SSFG. Every bicycle on Earth has a crankset. Asking how to put one on is a mechanical issue, not a Fixed Gear issue.

3) Coming here with such questions is like catching a cold at a football game and logging on to ESPN.com to see how to get over it.

Just because it's on a fixed gear doesn't mean it's a FG problem. Grow up, folks. You are part of a larger cycling community. If you want to be respected as equals, then act like equals. Otherwise this fringe sector of cycling will stay on the fringe.

Last edited by carleton; 02-25-10 at 04:51 AM.
carleton is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 05:30 AM
  #12  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,950
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
...and before you guys get all upset. If you notice the solution to the OP's problem is parktool.com by Dannihilator. That's a website for bicycle mechanics, not "Fixed Gear mechanics".

No one sent you to ProllyIsNotProbably.com, HipsterNascar.com, MashSF.com, SheldonBrown.com, etc...
carleton is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 06:27 AM
  #13  
shubonker
danke
 
shubonker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: nyc
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont even know why the search button exist, noone seems to use it.
shubonker is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 06:46 AM
  #14  
bbattle
.
 
bbattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rocket City, No'ala
Posts: 12,745

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Don't Forget Sheldonbrown.com if parktool.com is not clear enough.
bbattle is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 06:49 AM
  #15  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
oooh, I smell a war brewing

:
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
https://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 09:39 AM
  #16  
NateRod
Senior Member
 
NateRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These videos are mostly MTB oriented but a lot of the stuff is pretty much universally useful.

https://www.spadout.com/iv/bicycle-part-installation/
NateRod is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 09:44 AM
  #17  
ichitz
N-Fred
 
ichitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,517

Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here, i'll be nice

square spindle type crank installation:
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103
ichitz is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 10:02 AM
  #18  
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,353

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
I'm getting really sick of this kind of response. How about you tell me exactly what is a SSFG issue then huh? We all ride bikes and why wouldn't a mechanical question be ok in a bike forum? If this forum were nothing but talking about which sick fixie to purchase this year, or which SS has the most tire clearance I wouldn't give two craps about this place.
The problem with this forum is it has a bunch of people who have no idea what the F they're talking about. Oh wait that's the same in the mech forum too. Nevermind carry on.
operator is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 10:17 AM
  #19  
Mongoose441
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Peoples Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
I'm getting really sick of this kind of response. How about you tell me exactly what is a SSFG issue then huh? We all ride bikes and why wouldn't a mechanical question be ok in a bike forum? If this forum were nothing but talking about which sick fixie to purchase this year, or which SS has the most tire clearance I wouldn't give two craps about this place.
The guy did get his answer the best answer available.

We dont care about you either
Mongoose441 is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 10:35 AM
  #20  
GregLast
Senior Member
 
GregLast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
1) I don't care what you are really sick of.

2) You guys need to realize that there is more to this site than just SSFG. Every bicycle on Earth has a crankset. Asking how to put one on is a mechanical issue, not a Fixed Gear issue.

3) Coming here with such questions is like catching a cold at a football game and logging on to ESPN.com to see how to get over it.

Just because it's on a fixed gear doesn't mean it's a FG problem. Grow up, folks. You are part of a larger cycling community. If you want to be respected as equals, then act like equals. Otherwise this fringe sector of cycling will stay on the fringe.
I'll make this quick.

1) You don't have to care about what I am tired of. When more than one person agreed with my post I think it says that there are other people sick of it too. One more for the old post count though, right?

2) You need to realize that a lot of the people on this forum are here for 3 days to get their questions answered so they can get back to riding their bikes with their friends. The rest of the site doesn't matter to them because SSFG is what they are interested in. You are right, every bike has a crankset. The kids problem is a little more human than needing to discuss the mechanical aspects of pulling and installing a crank. He want's to ride his new frame and is looking for guidance, not "go somewhere else".

3) This analogy is really dumb.

Instead of reacting with some tirade about "a larger cycling community" what would have been more appropriate would have been to responded with "Damn, I didn't mean to be so cold, here's a link to a video showing whats up, here is where you can find that kind of information if you need it later." If you want to talk about community, then lets talk about community. This kid can't pull or install a crank. Do you really feel like the scope of his cycling world includes much more than him and his friends riding fixed gear? I'm only assuming, but probably not. Wouldn't it be a better introduction to "a larger cycling community" to be sensitive to the needs and curiosities of the freshcuts and guide them to the info they seek rather than be the forum nazi with the high post count that just told him to go somewhere else? Part of growing up is realizing that community means being welcoming and helping people with their problems rather than do what you have done and attempt to push those problems into another arena.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning the mechanics forum, but you didn't answer the kids question in any respectable manner. That is what everyone is tired of.
GregLast is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 11:09 AM
  #21  
1fluffhead
Senior Member
 
1fluffhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: baltimore
Posts: 1,663

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Carleton. Learn how to use the entire forum with its appropriate subforums for best results. In addition, the question was answered before he even posted his first response so all you have done is highjack a thread to whine about your perceived way in which people should interact in an online forum. Nice.
__________________
Originally Posted by diff_lock2 View Post
so what if it's custom, are you suddenly NOT a jackass?
1fluffhead is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 11:46 AM
  #22  
mumblesmumbles
just mumbling
 
mumblesmumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alameda CA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
oooh, I smell a war brewing

:
More like Kittenwar

mumblesmumbles is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 11:46 AM
  #23  
BoozyMcliverRot
Senior Member
 
BoozyMcliverRot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: bradenton FL
Posts: 1,179

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GregLast View Post
I'll make this quick.

1) You don't have to care about what I am tired of. When more than one person agreed with my post I think it says that there are other people sick of it too. One more for the old post count though, right?

2) You need to realize that a lot of the people on this forum are here for 3 days to get their questions answered so they can get back to riding their bikes with their friends. The rest of the site doesn't matter to them because SSFG is what they are interested in. You are right, every bike has a crankset. The kids problem is a little more human than needing to discuss the mechanical aspects of pulling and installing a crank. He want's to ride his new frame and is looking for guidance, not "go somewhere else".

3) This analogy is really dumb.

Instead of reacting with some tirade about "a larger cycling community" what would have been more appropriate would have been to responded with "Damn, I didn't mean to be so cold, here's a link to a video showing whats up, here is where you can find that kind of information if you need it later." If you want to talk about community, then lets talk about community. This kid can't pull or install a crank. Do you really feel like the scope of his cycling world includes much more than him and his friends riding fixed gear? I'm only assuming, but probably not. Wouldn't it be a better introduction to "a larger cycling community" to be sensitive to the needs and curiosities of the freshcuts and guide them to the info they seek rather than be the forum nazi with the high post count that just told him to go somewhere else? Part of growing up is realizing that community means being welcoming and helping people with their problems rather than do what you have done and attempt to push those problems into another arena.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning the mechanics forum, but you didn't answer the kids question in any respectable manner. That is what everyone is tired of.



You "made it quick" by posting the longest response,just sayin.
BoozyMcliverRot is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 11:47 AM
  #24  
monsterkidz
monster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least this kid had a somewhat valid question compared to some of the nonsense posted in this place the last couple of years. Why chase him away to the Mechanic Forum when he could get his answer here? Seems silly.
monsterkidz is offline  
Old 02-25-10, 12:12 PM
  #25  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,950
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
To everyone:

I don't think my original response was harsh. Read it. It's unedited. My rebutal to GregLast was a bit harsh, though. I just responded in-kind.

I've been on this forum for almost 5 years. I've seen just about everything come through here. I spent the first 2 of those 5 NEVER venturing out of SSFG (178). Then I realized that I'm not just a member of this sub-forum. I'm a member of Bikeforums.net. There is a helluva lot of great info in the other sub-forums. Just have a look and you will see other faces (avatars) that you recognize from here participating over there, too.

Seriously. Take 5 minutes and just scan the other sub-forums listed here: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

Coming only to SSFG is like going to the mall and only visiting the same one store and not taking advantage of the others*. Get out of the bubble.*



*This isn't directed to everyone. Just those that only come here for advice on any and everything bike-related.


Can we get back on topic?
carleton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.