Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

my 20$ diy paintjob lol

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

my 20$ diy paintjob lol

Old 05-10-10, 11:58 PM
  #1  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 20$ diy paintjob lol

this post doesnt have too much relevence to anything. i just like postin stuff

so bought can of primer , flat white paint , and satin clearcoat with some sandpaper

on and off took about 3 hours

before


sandpaperin


finish1


finish2 (few dots, my fault for not cleaning frame well)
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-10-10, 11:59 PM
  #2  
LosAngelesRidin
Senior Member
 
LosAngelesRidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: guess
Posts: 139

Bikes: 1986 Triathlon Peugeot Fixed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good bye mr dave scott

you where my first road bike

haha

so it came out white?
LosAngelesRidin is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:01 AM
  #3  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha i teared up a bit as i papered off the names =/

yeah all my friends had black already so i wanted to try out white
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:13 AM
  #4  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, now you need to get your bottom bracket shell faced for the bottom bracket to sit flesh with the bottom bracket shell.
Wow, it looks quite good for only 20 bones.

I am also aware that you are missing a headset...you might want to get a headset.
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:20 AM
  #5  
ssindosk8rss
Classic.
 
ssindosk8rss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good!
I did the same for about 20 bucks but in red.
Had it for 3-4 months. Still chips real easy though :/
I think I'm going to get it powdercoated soon so I can have that shine that spraycans lack
ssindosk8rss is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:21 AM
  #6  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
Ah, now you need to get your bottom bracket shell faced for the bottom bracket to sit flesh with the bottom bracket shell.
Wow, it looks quite good for only 20 bones.

I am also aware that you are missing a headset...you might want to get a headset.
i dont understnad :O
i believe i do have a headset sitting in a paper bag

5 different sized assorted circle shaped pieces lol
is that a full headset?
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:23 AM
  #7  
LosAngelesRidin
Senior Member
 
LosAngelesRidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: guess
Posts: 139

Bikes: 1986 Triathlon Peugeot Fixed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoo92 View Post
i dont understnad :O
i believe i do have a headset sitting in a paper bag

5 different sized assorted circle shaped pieces lol
is that a full headset?
yeah i gave you the 600 shimano headset
LosAngelesRidin is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:28 AM
  #8  
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you let that thing really dry before clearcoat.
__________________
https://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:29 AM
  #9  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, you have them.
Then you should get your head tube and bottom bracket shell faced.


Thank you Sheldon
The process of finishing the flat surfaces of theframe and fork to which bearing assemblies attach. Correct facing of the head tube, fork crown and bottom bracket shell ensures correct alignment of the headset and bottom bracket bearings. This is necessary to ensure good bearing performance and reliability. Facing requires highly specialized milling equipment, among the most expensive of bicycle tools. Even minimal tools to do this job cost several hundred dollars.
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:29 AM
  #10  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweeet! thanks again man

now what is this talk about fitting the bottom bracket? dont you just pop it in there?
and i have this greasy little yellow plasticy shedlike bb shell thing that was in there
do i still need that?

how do i "face" something?


Originally Posted by blickblocks View Post
I hope you let that thing really dry before clearcoat.
i didnt :O like 10-15 minutes?
what will happen
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:33 AM
  #11  
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it doesn't have time for the oils to escape if you put the clearcoat on that quick. Plus, you need to sand it between coats anyways.

Conversely, the reason my Leader is still bare aluminum is because I know I don't have the patience to try to spraypaint it properly. I even had access to automotive sprayers last year, and I didn't want to deal with it.
__________________
https://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:34 AM
  #12  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,950
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoo92 View Post
sweeet! thanks again man

now what is this talk about fitting the bottom bracket? dont you just pop it in there?
and i have this greasy little yellow plasticy shedlike bb shell thing that was in there
do i still need that?

how do i "face" something?
[Booming god-like voice]The answers that you seek are here: https://www.parktool.com/repair/
carleton is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:35 AM
  #13  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks View Post
Well it doesn't have time for the oils to escape if you put the clearcoat on that quick. Plus, you need to sand it between coats anyways.

Conversely, the reason my Leader is still bare aluminum is because I know I don't have the patience to try to spraypaint it properly. I even had access to automotive sprayers last year, and I didn't want to deal with it.
dang i will have a problem then. will my paint just fall off with a simple scratch?
i have extra paint left over and a lot of free time. ill see how this one puts up
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:36 AM
  #14  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoo92 View Post
sweeet! thanks again man

now what is this talk about fitting the bottom bracket? dont you just pop it in there?
and i have this greasy little yellow plasticy shedlike bb shell thing that was in there
do i still need that?

how do i "face" something?


Facing requires expensive, precision tools, take it to the shop, not sure how much they will charge though.
Yes, you need to keep that yellow plastic part to install the bottom bracket.
You might as well take your frame+fork, that paper bag of headset, bottom bracket and cranks to the Bike Kitchen and get everything installed in one day, then you are almost ready to ride!
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:40 AM
  #15  
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoo92 View Post
dang i will have a problem then. will my paint just fall off with a simple scratch?
i have extra paint left over and a lot of free time. ill see how this one puts up
I mean what else you gonna do

abuse it till it looks like crap

that's what bikes are for anyways
__________________
https://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:42 AM
  #16  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
Facing requires expensive, precision tools, take it to the shop, not sure how much they will charge though.
Yes, you need to keep that yellow plastic part to install the bottom bracket.
You might as well take your frame+fork, that paper bag of headset, bottom bracket and cranks to the Bike Kitchen and get everything installed in one day, then you are almost ready to ride!
yes good idea
what do you mean ALMOST ready? is there more?
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:45 AM
  #17  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have your cog + lockring, chain whip and lockring tool?
Also an 1/8" chain?
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:47 AM
  #18  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
Do you have your cog + lockring, chain whip and lockring tool?
Also an 1/8" chain?
ordered crankset cog lockring and bb this morning
i do not have the tools yet or the chain :O
will pick up chain soon later at lbs
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:47 AM
  #19  
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to say, you don't need a chainwhip (rotafix), and then I thought about the paint on the bb shell getting scratched

lol
__________________
https://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:50 AM
  #20  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should own those tools as they are very essential for fixed gear riding.
Other than that, you're all set once you put all your original parts back onto the bike.
Which cog + lockring did you get?
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 12:53 AM
  #21  
rgoo92
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
You should own those tools as they are very essential for fixed gear riding.
Other than that, you're all set once you put all your original parts back onto the bike.
Which cog + lockring did you get?
welli wanted to order everythign at once and eighth inch was out of stock so i bought some cheap 17t 1/8 cog from called like rockwerks or somethign
and a cheap lockring

and ill check out those tools
rgoo92 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 01:10 AM
  #22  
LosAngelesRidin
Senior Member
 
LosAngelesRidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: guess
Posts: 139

Bikes: 1986 Triathlon Peugeot Fixed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
came out nice though
LosAngelesRidin is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 01:22 AM
  #23  
f50fan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should really have spent the extra on a good cog and lock ring. :|
f50fan is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 01:48 AM
  #24  
klaw091
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY or Champaign, IL
Posts: 261

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgoo92 View Post
welli wanted to order everythign at once and eighth inch was out of stock so i bought some cheap 17t 1/8 cog from called like rockwerks or somethign
and a cheap lockring

and ill check out those tools
.....going cheap on cog/lockring....
klaw091 is offline  
Old 05-11-10, 01:51 AM
  #25  
LosAngelesRidin
Senior Member
 
LosAngelesRidin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: guess
Posts: 139

Bikes: 1986 Triathlon Peugeot Fixed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by klaw091 View Post
.....going cheap on cog/lockring....

I spent 10 bucks on 17 cog at my lbs

ridden it for months now no complaints
LosAngelesRidin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.