Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First SS Bike with around <$400 budget

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

First SS Bike with around <$400 budget

Old 08-13-10, 05:00 AM
  #1  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First SS Bike with around <$400 budget

Hey guys,

I was always thinking about getting a bike around 2 years ago and now I think I am ready to make the jump on a new Single Speed bike. I noticed that a lot of people are buying their bikes from BD. What bike would you guys recommend and what parts would I have to replace? I am looking for a bike that has no decal or easy to remove decals.

I checked out the Kilo tt, Dawes and Windsors. Should I check any others? Keep in mind, the $400 budget( can be stretched if needed to) could be used for replacing parts.

If you guys need more information, please tell me what I can provide so I can pick the best bike. What should a first time buyer have as a starter kit or essentials to have with a bike?

Thanks in advance guys. I hope to buy this asap because my birthday is coming up real soon =)
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 05:40 AM
  #2  
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Posts: 2,671

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a Kilo Pro, oh or the IRO which is now in your price range as is 2010 model year closeouts at your LBS.

Last edited by vw addict; 08-13-10 at 05:54 AM.
vw addict is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:23 AM
  #3  
on the path
Señor Blues
 
on the path's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I have a similar one. I've been gaining an interest in these kinds of bikes. What should I know before buying a Single speed?

I've been riding 30 to 60 minutes, sometimes more, pretty much daily. Last night I did a 40 minute loop, with all the hills I usually ride, entirely in the highest gear of my 21 speed. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking I might be ready for a Single Speed.

I would appreciate any help regarding what to look for and what you get for your dollar. Thanks.


BTW...Any particular thoughts on this one? >> https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/1891909821.html
on the path is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:29 AM
  #4  
EssEllSee
Kilo TT
 
EssEllSee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path View Post
I can't answer your question, but I have a similar one. I've been gaining an interest in these kinds of bikes. What should I know before buying a Single speed?

I've been riding 30 to 60 minutes, sometimes more, pretty much daily. Last night I did a 40 minute loop, with all the hills I usually ride, entirely in the highest gear of my 21 speed. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking I might be ready for a Single Speed.

I would appreciate any help regarding what to look for and what you get for your dollar. Thanks.


BTW...Any particular thoughts on this one? >> https://albany.craigslist.org/bik/1891909821.html
That actually looks like a decent bike to me. I would go check it out and ride it in person, but assuming it rides fine, that price isnt bad (at least not for what people are trying to sell single speed's for around here). Of course try to haggle him down.

However, as stated by vw addict, a Kilo TT Pro from BD or an IRO are two very solid bikes you cant go wrong with.
EssEllSee is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:35 AM
  #5  
on the path
Señor Blues
 
on the path's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee View Post
That actually looks like a decent bike to me.
I'm going to check it out. It may be a matter of frame size (I need large to ex-large).

Thanks for the reply.
on the path is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:40 AM
  #6  
EssEllSee
Kilo TT
 
EssEllSee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the ad doesnt mention the frame size at all, so ask him.
EssEllSee is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 10:20 AM
  #7  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
get a Kilo Pro, oh or the IRO which is now in your price range as is 2010 model year closeouts at your LBS.
Why these choices? Are the frames any different and are they geared towards something better compared to the other? What is wrong with the Dawes or Windsor. What if my budget is <$500? I am guessing LBS is Local Bike Store?

I also forgot to mention that I am 5,6". What size should I look for?

Can you link me to the IRO? The single speed is 499 and fix is 399, why? Only black? Thanks for the replies

Last edited by Ellong; 08-13-10 at 10:25 AM.
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 10:26 AM
  #8  
rob999
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had a similar debate...it was a used Langster vs IRO vs all of the BD fixies.....

In the end I went with the Kilo TT Pro, $40 more than the regular seemed worth it (plus the colors are better) don't think you can go wrong with either.

Why..... in the end I just picked one and stuck with it, I debated and search for info for about a month and in the end people like the IRO people like the Kilo, and neither seemed to have much of a leg up on the other.

The langster was removed from my list as the used one locally was a 58 and I needed a 61...and it was the London version which is kinda flashy for my taste.

I can't comment on the bike yet as it is currently on the truck for delivery.
rob999 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 10:35 AM
  #9  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rob999 View Post
I just had a similar debate...it was a used Langster vs IRO vs all of the BD fixies.....

In the end I went with the Kilo TT Pro, $40 more than the regular seemed worth it (plus the colors are better) don't think you can go wrong with either.

Why..... in the end I just picked one and stuck with it, I debated and search for info for about a month and in the end people like the IRO people like the Kilo, and neither seemed to have much of a leg up on the other.

The langster was removed from my list as the used one locally was a 58 and I needed a 61...and it was the London version which is kinda flashy for my taste.

I can't comment on the bike yet as it is currently on the truck for delivery.
So why the Pro? The colors other than white don't appeal to me and looks to be sold out at 50 cm. Compared to the other kilos? Should I go to a local bike shop? Are there certain parts I should or will have to replace?

Last edited by Ellong; 08-13-10 at 10:45 AM.
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 10:50 AM
  #10  
EssEllSee
Kilo TT
 
EssEllSee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellong View Post
So why the Pro? The colors other than white don't appeal to me and looks to be sold out at 50 cm. Compared to the other kilos? Should I go to a local bike shop? Are there certain parts I should or will have to replace?
You probably will want to replace the saddle and pedals right off the bat for comfort reasons. If you get the pro you shouldn't need to upgrade anything else for a while. Ride it and get a feel for everything before you upgrade, otherwise you wont even be able to get a feel for the upgrade.
EssEllSee is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 11:04 AM
  #11  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee View Post
You probably will want to replace the saddle and pedals right off the bat for comfort reasons. If you get the pro you shouldn't need to upgrade anything else for a while. Ride it and get a feel for everything before you upgrade, otherwise you wont even be able to get a feel for the upgrade.
Thanks for that tip! So it looks like everyone likes the Kilo a lot, but there are no color options for the pro. Whats the difference between the other kilos? If I pick up a bike what Tools or essentials should I have?
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 11:04 AM
  #12  
rob999
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ellong View Post
So why the Pro? The colors other than white don't appeal to me and looks to be sold out at 50 cm. Compared to the other kilos? Should I go to a local bike shop? Are there certain parts I should or will have to replace?
I went with the Pro, because for $40 more it has:
Pro-grade Forged Aluminum Sugino Track crankset (130 BCD)
Custom Alex SUB 30mm V-Aero section wheelset
Precision Sealed Bearing Hi-flange Hubs
Tektro RL570 cross top lever + R350 front brake - Valued at $40
Custom paint colors
KMC Gold edition chain
Fast rolling Kenda Koncept Lite Kevlar bead tires

Seemed worth it to me.

I will replace the seat and I assume the pedals. I am guessing I'm going to have to change the gearing a little as I think the stock 48/16 might be a bit much for me as I like to spin more than mash....but I'll have to see how it goes.

I'll also be putting on better tires.

As far as what you should do, that is not for me to say.
rob999 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 11:14 AM
  #13  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,288

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 41 Posts
OP,

1) You said you wanted a SS (single speed)
2) You say you are interested in a Kilo TT, which is a FG (fixed gear)
3) SS =/= FG

What do you really want and do you know the difference between SS & FG?
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 11:22 AM
  #14  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
OP,

1) You said you wanted a SS (single speed)
2) You say you are interested in a Kilo TT, which is a FG (fixed gear)
3) SS =/= FG

What do you really want and do you know the difference between SS & FG?
I am looking for an SS. I do know the difference. The Pro version has no color that I like for my Size which I would assume its 50cm cause im 5,6"?
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:41 PM
  #15  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, the IRO is 500 with shipping for the Single gear one. Is the kilo pro that much of a better buy then the kilo tt or stripper? the pro has no colors=/
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 08:52 PM
  #16  
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iros are 400 son
xkillemallx16 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 09:01 PM
  #17  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is it 400? Are we looking at the fixie one? Shipping costs 60 bucks. I like the IRO though But I don't get the sizing for it. And the only option is black? I really want to buy soon=]

Also I went to the local bike shop today and I saw the IRO but the guy explaining the sizing didn't help even with my friend with me to listen in on. The price at the store was 600 though =p.
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 09:03 PM
  #18  
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iros are only black.
if you buy fixed you can add ss + brakes for under what iro charges.
get the 50cm iro.
xkillemallx16 is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 09:08 PM
  #19  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how are there other colors on the forums? What options should I pick other than the colors? I still don't get how i can keep it at $400?
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 09:39 PM
  #20  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured my choices now but i just want to know how everyone says the iro is 400 and how for the ss and what options should I pick if I chose this and they only have black?
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-13-10, 10:23 PM
  #21  
on the path
Señor Blues
 
on the path's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee View Post
Yeah, the ad doesnt mention the frame size at all, so ask him.
I'll only be a minute.... It turns out it's a 52. Too small for me, but the bike is solid and rides very well. Great bike for $225, but I need it to fit me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...
on the path is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 12:58 AM
  #22  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I think I will go with the IRO. What Stem size should I get and What COG?
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 03:20 AM
  #23  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, Would it be best for me to buy the IRO if I plan to replace the saddle, wheels, rims or something and other parts down the line? Why IRO?

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate all the input
Ellong is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 03:38 AM
  #24  
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you going to get the fixed IRO or the SS one?

If you haven't decided it yet, I'd recommend getting the fixed one because brake set could be had for a low price here and freewheels are really cheap as well.

We can not tell you what stem size you should get because we don't know your abilities or your body or your flexibility..etc etc. You could certainly try the 100mm stem first and if you don't like it, you could get a new one instead.

Again, we don't know how strong you are or the terrain you live in, cog size will affect the gear ratio of the bike, in another word, it will affect how hard you have to pedal to reach a certain speed. For starter, I think that IRO comes with a 46 chainring, not entirely sure...you could try a 18t cog/freewheel. It will be fairly easy to pedal and it is a good ratio for going about in town.

Many of us replace the stock saddle right away because it might not be comfy. It has fairly decent stock components and the frame is not too shabby as well. If you are planning to replace stuff down the line, the IRO would still be a good candidate for you, as I said, it has a good frame to start with and you can replace things as the components start to wear and break down on you.
Squirrelli is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 03:45 AM
  #25  
Ellong
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
Are you going to get the fixed IRO or the SS one?

If you haven't decided it yet, I'd recommend getting the fixed one because brake set could be had for a low price here and freewheels are really cheap as well.

We can not tell you what stem size you should get because we don't know your abilities or your body or your flexibility..etc etc. You could certainly try the 100mm stem first and if you don't like it, you could get a new one instead.

Again, we don't know how strong you are or the terrain you live in, cog size will affect the gear ratio of the bike, in another word, it will affect how hard you have to pedal to reach a certain speed. For starter, I think that IRO comes with a 46 chainring, not entirely sure...you could try a 18t cog/freewheel. It will be fairly easy to pedal and it is a good ratio for going about in town.

Many of us replace the stock saddle right away because it might not be comfy. It has fairly decent stock components and the frame is not too shabby as well. If you are planning to replace stuff down the line, the IRO would still be a good candidate for you, as I said, it has a good frame to start with and you can replace things as the components start to wear and break down on you.
Wow this helped a lot! Umm I am getting an SS. Does the bike not come with brakes? Are these brakes the ones that drop down or on the side, or am I confused? Can you link me to this freewheel? I want to try to keep it low as possible as an SS.

Last question about their parts that come with the bike, how good are they exactly?

I live in the bay area, so I will encounter flats and hills.

When I do buy, what do I expect to do when it arrives? Say it comes in how would I put it together?
Ellong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.