Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Sharing my ride! (https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/671825-sharing-my-ride.html)

TomLee 08-15-10 01:29 PM

Sharing my ride!
 
Main Components:
IRO Mark V Frame
Mavic Ellipses
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3901107_n.jpg


I'm new to these forums, and pretty new to biking. My goal is to eventually cross over to a road bike. My logic with starting with a fixie was that I would rather have a light bike with one gear, then a heavy bike with gears for the same price. I'm not sure I made the right choice, but overall im pretty satisfied. I had alot of troubles on the hills around my area with a 46t/16t combo, but as the weeks go on they get easier and easier! Its a great workout when I ride, which is everyday to and from school which is usually a round trip of around 16 miles. Man, I love biking! I pretty much comepletly stopped driving my car which alot of my freinds find unsual haha. I orignally had a Weinmann DP18 wheel set but I decided to upgade to the ellipsses since I figured it was worth it since I actually use my bike:lol:


Well cheers, hope to learn alot on these forums.

hairnet 08-15-10 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by TomLee (Post 11292967)
My logic with starting with a fixie was that I would rather have a light bike with one gear, then a heavy bike with gears for the same price.

how much does it weigh? You'll still burn cash on upgrades

I'm not sure I made the right choice, but overall im pretty satisfied. I had alot of troubles on the hills around my area with a 46t/16t combo, but as the weeks go on they get easier and easier!
try different gear combos. I have 46x19 now, I've used it to ride up most hills here except for this one 15% climb

Ellong 08-15-10 02:31 PM

Wow nice, Where did you get the wheels and how much were they? How much of an upgrade is it?

aMull 08-15-10 02:33 PM


Originally Posted by TomLee (Post 11292967)
and pretty new to biking.

And decided to go with a brakeless fixed gear?

http://i29.tinypic.com/34ss8ow.jpg

Squirrelli 08-15-10 02:35 PM

:lol:

Your gif's are pretty funny.

TomLee 08-15-10 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by Ellong (Post 11293222)
Wow nice, Where did you get the wheels and how much were they? How much of an upgrade is it?

I got them at City Grounds in Long Beach, cost me $500:(


Originally Posted by aMull (Post 11293239)
And decided to go with a brakeless fixed gear?

http://i29.tinypic.com/34ss8ow.jpg

Heh, nice gif hahaha. Well new, as in a sense of commuting I guess. I'm fairly confident in my stopping abilities and I never "mob" down hills or anything. I do plan on getting a front brake soon though, i've almost been plowed by a few cars that dont see me.




Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 11293079)
how much does it weigh? You'll still burn cash on upgrades

try different gear combos. I have 46x19 now, I've used it to ride up most hills here except for this one 15% climb

Yeah I'm planning on picking up a few more cogs to play around with, and I dont have an exact weight on my bike, but i wouldnt say more then 16 pounds

Ellong 08-15-10 02:54 PM

I just noticed but did you powdercoat it? Why the mavic eclipse though?

dsh 08-15-10 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by Ellong (Post 11293335)
I just noticed but did you powdercoat it? Why the mavic eclipse though?

They look pretty cool. Don't you agree?

...though at that price, they're pretty heavy for a bike that is apparently focused on weight.

xkillemallx16 08-15-10 03:17 PM

Hmmm. The seat is way low, perhaps you got the wrong size?

The red crank doesn't match, and the ellipses arent worth it for street use - DP18's would have been fine. Overall it looks generic, and you might have spent too much money for what you got - ellipses at 400$ at ben's anyway. Get a brake. I doubt it's 16 pounds
.http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/...10fc64a8_o.jpg

Thats about 16.

It's great you have lights though, and foot retention. Good choice on the frame too, <3 mark v pros in white. A nice geared bike would weigh simularly for the price you paid. But if you're happy with it, then its worth the money.

dsh 08-15-10 03:24 PM

I love BMC frames a lot. BMC and SRAM is like a match made in oversized lettering heaven.

Kayce 08-15-10 03:30 PM

Getting BMX style pedals will make your foot straps work better, and the whole system to be more comfortable. Also with a long commute might i suggest some road drops or bull horns. Either will give you more hand positions, and be able to help you get more power on climbs.


If you get a front brake(which you should), it wont work nearly as well on your fancy wheels. They have an anodized non-machined side wall. These existed for a while, but were replaced(first developed by Mavic actually) by the much safe machined side walls. Basically the braking surface is extruded a bit wider, then machined down with little groves to get better traction between the pads and rims. You will be much better off with a road rim.

TomLee 08-15-10 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by dsh (Post 11293366)
They look pretty cool. Don't you agree?

...though at that price, they're pretty heavy for a bike that is apparently focused on weight.

I guess I should make it clear that while I want to make my bike lighter (who doesn't?), I'm wouldn't say im too focused on weight. Its true that the Ellipses arent really that light at all, but they are lighter then most of the Deep V's out there. And yes they do look cool, the flat spokes are awesome looking! Cool factor is a huge factor of what I got them haha.




Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 (Post 11293429)
Hmmm. The seat is way low, perhaps you got the wrong size?


It's great you have lights though, and foot retention. Good choice on the frame too, <3 mark v pros in white. A nice geared bike would weigh simularly for the price you paid. But if you're happy with it, then its worth the money.


I have adjust the seat about 1.5 inches higher since the photo was taken. The top tube is barely touching my crotch when standing, and my legs extend all the way straight when the pedals are at the bottom when I'm riding, im assuming that this is correct?

And yeah My calss gets out at 10, so lights are a must haha, i coudlnt imagine riding without the,. i guess I didnt do as much resaerch on road bieks as I could have, but I made my descision a good while ago and I guess i gotta live with my actions :)

TomLee 08-15-10 03:53 PM


Originally Posted by Kayce (Post 11293489)
Getting BMX style pedals will make your foot straps work better, and the whole system to be more comfortable. Also with a long commute might i suggest some road drops or bull horns. Either will give you more hand positions, and be able to help you get more power on climbs.


If you get a front brake(which you should), it wont work nearly as well on your fancy wheels. They have an anodized non-machined side wall. These existed for a while, but were replaced(first developed by Mavic actually) by the much safe machined side walls. Basically the braking surface is extruded a bit wider, then machined down with little groves to get better traction between the pads and rims. You will be much better off with a road rim.


Your right, These wheels arent intended for brakes haha. I still do have my DP18's that with machined side walls though. Also, I hate raod drops and bull horns, but i like the feelof aero bars. Would it be over the top to have clip on aerobars on a fixie???? These striaght bars are killing me on long rides.



Also, My nuts hurt when I ride...I need a new seat or soemthing haha

xkillemallx16 08-15-10 03:57 PM


Originally Posted by TomLee (Post 11293596)
I have adjust the seat about 1.5 inches higher since the photo was taken. The top tube is barely touching my crotch when standing, and my legs extend all the way straight when the pedals are at the bottom when I'm riding, im assuming that this is correct?

And yeah My calss gets out at 10, so lights are a must haha, i coudlnt imagine riding without the,. i guess I didnt do as much resaerch on road bieks as I could have, but I made my descision a good while ago and I guess i gotta live with my actions :)

They're called bladed spokes, and yeah, they are pretty cool.

The standover height shouldnt matter, but when your pedals are at the bottom of your stroke they should still have a slight bend to them, not entirely stretched out. Your decision was good, building your own bike teaches you lots about bikes.

Squirrelli 08-15-10 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by TomLee (Post 11293601)
Your right, These wheels arent intended for brakes haha. I still do have my DP18's that with machined side walls though. Also, I hate raod drops and bull horns, but i like the feelof aero bars. Would it be over the top to have clip on aerobars on a fixie???? These striaght bars are killing me on long rides.



Also, My nuts hurt when I ride...I need a new seat or soemthing haha

Aero bars on risers is a good idea, no joke.

asherlighn 08-15-10 05:39 PM


Originally Posted by TomLee (Post 11293601)
Also, My nuts hurt when I ride...I need a new seat or soemthing haha

You can get padded cycling underwear.


Also This thread is fun.

adriano 08-15-10 05:54 PM

let me share my fixed ride. it was 71 miles.

dsh 08-15-10 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by adriano (Post 11294100)
let me share my fixed ride. it was 71 miles.

Did you find the aero bars to be indispensable?

xkillemallx16 08-15-10 06:24 PM

Since youve invested so much already, get a nice seat.

;)

Negative Force 08-15-10 06:32 PM

Just remember that sXe-for-life bro is a hater without a lot of experience. Ellipses are great wheels

adriano 08-15-10 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by dsh (Post 11294159)
Did you find the aero bars to be indispensable?

at times i definitely wish i had aerobars.

it was today from philadelphia to collegeville, my longest ride to date, and the first time ive done a metric century fixed.

TomLee 08-15-10 09:07 PM

I was at the local bike store and saw some profile designs for like $140! Yikes man.

What seats would you guys reccomend and aerobars?

adriano 08-15-10 09:14 PM

http://ridewithgps.com/photos/snapsh...gram-87583.jpg

as seen at mile 12, i turned onto shawmont the wrong way and took a 0.6 mile climb to ridge that averaged a 13% grade. gps claims it was 32% at one point, but the grade for much of it was reliably in the upper teens and twenties. my gearing in inches is only in the 60s, but that was insane without granny gears.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/87583/full.gif

overall, i ended up heading north from valley forge going to collegeville for 71 miles fixed, which is my longest ride yet. trying to eat a 125 calorie half of a powerbar every seven miles worked well for me. as opposed to my bonktastic 500 calorie 67 mile ride, i consumed 1500 calories and felt pretty fresh at the end, but having run out of food, red wine and red meat called me home. admittedly, a good bit of that freshness is due to the slow pace and breaks my geared friend needed, but im optimistic about the scenic schuylkill century.

Kayce 08-15-10 09:21 PM

Saddles are by far the most individualized part of a bike, no one will be able to recommend one thats right for you, just ride as many as you can and find out what you like and dont like about each, and tune it down till you find your dream saddle and buy two.

PedallingATX 08-15-10 09:29 PM

tomlee--don't let these haters get you down. your bike is rad and at 16 miles a day you probably ride more than most of them anyways haha


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.