Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Surly Steamroller vs. Jamis Sputnik/Beatnik vs. Bianchi Pista vs. Soma Rush

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Surly Steamroller vs. Jamis Sputnik/Beatnik vs. Bianchi Pista vs. Soma Rush

Old 10-19-11, 05:28 PM
  #1  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Steamroller vs. Jamis Sputnik/Beatnik vs. Bianchi Pista vs. Soma Rush

I know nothing about fixed gear/single speed. I am interested in buying one or building one up, though. Can anyone help me decide (not that I can afford it at the moment but I just got a new job and I can dream, right?) on one of these bikes or at least inform me of their relative strengths? Please advise based on the quality of the components on the complete builds or frame highlights, in the case of the Soma Rush. Thanks...a lot.

Surly Steamroller $799
Jamis Sputnik/Beatnik $700 and $425, respectfully.
Bianchi Pista $849
Soma Rush frame
set $349


in b4 Mercier Kilo TT or CL. I've owned a Surly Cross Check for a year and I love it. It's 100% solid. I think purchasing a quality bike is definitely worth it despite the ubiquity of dirt cheap fixie conversions on CL.

I would like a steel frame with the ability to take on wider tires and a relaxed upright riding position. I know that basically describes the Surly Steamroller but I want to consider other frames/bikes before going with Surly again.

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 10-19-11 at 05:37 PM.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:29 PM
  #2  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, why is the Jamis Sputnik almost double the price of the Beatnik? and about how much does it cost to build up a decent FG/SS?

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 10-19-11 at 05:38 PM.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:31 PM
  #3  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,946

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Never mind that, it's dinner time! Bourbon steak tips vs. Monterrey chicken vs. shepherd's pie vs. grilled swordfish steaks?
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:33 PM
  #4  
hamfoh
hamcycles.com
 
hamfoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out the Wabi classic too, it's around the same price as a complete pista / steamroller. it's hard to beat the 09 sputnik for $550

love my Soma

if you don't have funds and are interested, why dismiss the kilo or CL?
hamfoh is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:40 PM
  #5  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh View Post
check out the Wabi classic too, it's around the same price as a complete pista / steamroller. it's hard to beat the 09 sputnik for $550

love my Soma

if you don't have funds and are interested, why dismiss the kilo or CL?
I don't know. I've been lurking this subforum for a few days and the Kilo just seems to be everyone's favorite bike, like a one size fits all. I have a suspicion that's just because it's so damned cheap. Also, bikesdirect. Not sure what to think of them.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:42 PM
  #6  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Never mind that, it's dinner time! Bourbon steak tips vs. Monterrey chicken vs. shepherd's pie vs. grilled swordfish steaks?
haha, funny. Can you inform me though on what the advantages/disadvantages of these 4 bikes are? Or are you just saying they're all good (which doesn't really help me decide which one is best for me)?
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:43 PM
  #7  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh View Post
check out the Wabi classic too, it's around the same price as a complete pista / steamroller. it's hard to beat the 09 sputnik for $550

love my Soma

if you don't have funds and are interested, why dismiss the kilo or CL?
I did a froogle search for 09 Jamis Sputnik and they were all still $890.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:48 PM
  #8  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh View Post
check out the Wabi classic too, it's around the same price as a complete pista / steamroller. it's hard to beat the 09 sputnik for $550

love my Soma

if you don't have funds and are interested, why dismiss the kilo or CL?
The Wabi Classic looks nice for $625 but it only comes in 58 and 61. A little big for me. Does Wabi always have such limited size offerings? Everything also seems so customizable.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:49 PM
  #9  
hamfoh
hamcycles.com
 
hamfoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.bicyclebananasstore.com/2...09_sputnik.htm

and that soma is just a frame, not a frame set, so add in headset and fork... amongst others. That's also the old version
hamfoh is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:50 PM
  #10  
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.
 
jimmytango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,650

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that the best way to figure out which one you like best. They're all similar in component quality, so just ride each one.

Scrod, I say pepper crust the swordfish, seat it in a hot pan with clarified butter, finish it by basting with whole butter, serve with mashed potatoes, bordelaise sauce, and some crispy onion rings. Awesome.
jimmytango is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:51 PM
  #11  
Pinkbullet3
   
 
Pinkbullet3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
Also, bikesdirect. Not sure what to think of them.
Got my bike from them with no problems.

A+, would buy again!
Pinkbullet3 is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:55 PM
  #12  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamfoh View Post
http://www.bicyclebananasstore.com/2...09_sputnik.htm

and that soma is just a frame, not a frame set, so add in headset and fork... amongst others. That's also the old version
cool.

about the Soma, oh really...damn. So what's the draw about the Rush?
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 05:57 PM
  #13  
BigglyPuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Never mind that, it's dinner time! Bourbon steak tips vs. Monterrey chicken vs. shepherd's pie vs. grilled swordfish steaks?
It's SHOWDOWN time. In my opinion, none of the above. Too much meat in those choices. If I had to pick from there, probably the grilled swordfish.

I'm thinking: Seconds of spaghetti, Black Bean burger or Udon Ramen noodles.
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:00 PM
  #14  
BigglyPuff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
also, why is the Jamis Sputnik almost double the price of the Beatnik? and about how much does it cost to build up a decent FG/SS?
Probably the components and frameset.

If I had to choose out of the four you posted, I'd go with a Steamroller just because my bro-in-law has a Surly and I want to jock his style. I feel like Pistas are somewhat overpriced, you're paying for the name with Bianchi. Still, I'd love to own one.

And you might have posted too many choices.
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:00 PM
  #15  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Never mind that, it's dinner time! Bourbon steak tips vs. Monterrey chicken vs. shepherd's pie vs. grilled swordfish steaks?
IMHO, I'm probably gonna have something that involves a lot of pinto beans tonight. Not cos I'm vegetarian, just cos I'm lazy and beans taste awesome.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:03 PM
  #16  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff View Post
Probably the components and frameset.
That's what I'm trying to get at. I don't know how to compare the quality of components on a FG/SS. Wabi made its case for its superior frame steel, + it's pretty affordable.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:16 PM
  #17  
andrizzle
Enson
 
andrizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 389

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
I don't know. I've been lurking this subforum for a few days and the Kilo just seems to be everyone's favorite bike, like a one size fits all. I have a suspicion that's just because it's so damned cheap. Also, bikesdirect. Not sure what to think of them.
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
I did a froogle search for 09 Jamis Sputnik and they were all still $890.
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
IMHO, I'm probably gonna have something that involves a lot of pinto beans tonight. Not cos I'm vegetarian, just cos I'm lazy and beans taste awesome.
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
That's what I'm trying to get at. I don't know how to compare the quality of components on a FG/SS. Wabi made its case for its superior frame steel, + it's pretty affordable.

andrizzle is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:19 PM
  #18  
andrizzle
Enson
 
andrizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 389

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
I know nothing about fixed gear/single speed. I am interested in buying one or building one up, though. Can anyone help me decide (not that I can afford it at the moment but I just got a new job and I can dream, right?) on one of these bikes or at least inform me of their relative strengths? Please advise based on the quality of the components on the complete builds or frame highlights, in the case of the Soma Rush. Thanks...a lot.

Surly Steamroller $799
Jamis Sputnik/Beatnik $700 and $425, respectfully.
Bianchi Pista $849
Soma Rush frame
set $349


in b4 Mercier Kilo TT or CL. I've owned a Surly Cross Check for a year and I love it. It's 100% solid. I think purchasing a quality bike is definitely worth it despite the ubiquity of dirt cheap fixie conversions on CL.

I would like a steel frame with the ability to take on wider tires and a relaxed upright riding position. I know that basically describes the Surly Steamroller but I want to consider other frames/bikes before going with Surly again.
steamroller. i love mine.
andrizzle is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:39 PM
  #19  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrizzle View Post
sorry, I'm drinking. I was replying to several previous posts. Anyways, yea, the Surly seems like a safe bet. Soma is out cos I'm thinking it'd be pretty expensive and time consuming to build as a foray into riding fixed. I like Bianchi but someone said it's nice but more expensive because of the name Bianchi. I really like the Wabi Classic but the sizing is limited and large and I like the price of the Jamis Sputnik.

So between Surly Steamroller, Jamis Sputnik, and Wabi Classic...are the components all really pretty much of the same quality? As far as the frame, I know the only real way to decide is to test ride em at the shop which I probably will. Just looking for some insight into sizing up the build's.
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 06:59 PM
  #20  
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.
 
jimmytango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,650

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mmm... Lots of dinner conversations abound. I think I'll start a dinner thread.
jimmytango is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 07:12 PM
  #21  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, I swear to god if I were a girl like 3 Circles over on the 'SS pointers?,' I'd be getting so many more answers. Are my questions too vague or what?!
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 07:42 PM
  #22  
Toccata47
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
sorry, I'm drinking... Anyways, yea,
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
dude, Are my questions too vague or what?!
It's not the booze, it's the stupid

Take another look at the wabi site. They have all sizes in stock for the classic. If you google wabi classic the first hit takes you to their discount page for some bizzare reason and you'll only see the 58 and 61 cm frames listed. Not your fault but the booze isn't helping lol.

Edit: kilo wt pretty close to a steamroller for less
Toccata47 is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 07:51 PM
  #23  
SurlyLaika
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toccata47 View Post
It's not the booze, it's the stupid

Take another look at the wabi site. They have all sizes in stock for the classic. If you google wabi classic the first hit takes you to their discount page for some bizzare reason and you'll only see the 58 and 61 cm frames listed. Not your fault but the booze isn't helping lol.

Edit: kilo wt pretty close to a steamroller for less
only 2 beers!
SurlyLaika is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 07:54 PM
  #24  
Scrodzilla
See you in Hell.
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 25,946

Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, Dolan DB3 Prototype

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika View Post
dude, I swear to god if I were a girl like 3 Circles over on the 'SS pointers?,' I'd be getting so many more answers. Are my questions too vague or what?!

How do you know 3 Circles is a girl? I could be a girl for all you know.
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 10-19-11, 08:18 PM
  #25  
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.
 
jimmytango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,650

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3 circles View Post
HA!! This cracks me up. -- Just to confirm: I am a girl...a real one...no drag included.
Boom!
jimmytango is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.