Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Reply

Old 01-10-19, 09:12 PM
  #24001  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
Couple hours on the fixed gear just to keep the legs spinning after intervals on Tuesday and Wednesday. Off tomorrow. Looking to go for some intensity and volume both days this weekend so I should be stacking on the training stress.

Day off work today so I got to sleep in a bit more, and will be getting a bunch of chores done and generally relaxing. Dentist, haircut, oil change, laundry, hanging out. Might drop into work for an hour or two later before music night tonight just so my inbox doesn't stack too high and I don't slave at my desk all day tomorrow.
I need one of those days off things! sounds nice! hahaha. What is music night? That sounds fun...

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Installed the correct derailleur on the bike so we are close to getting it all ready to ride. If anyone has a friction bushing for a 7400 downtube front friction shifter let me know.
For pictures here you go:
The New Classic Rigs and Rides Thread 1.1
Duuuuuuuude! Lookin so good. I nearly forgot about it... how could I?! That is one rad bike!

In my little to no spare time, I love making things. Bicycle related, motorcycle, guns, cars, art, music... you name it doesn't matter! Nothing gives me more pleasure than making something out of nothing with my hands. One of the wayyyyy too many things I have my fingers in, is jewelry making. Pun intended I finished up this commissioned, very simple knuckle duster today. Nothing fancy, just some simple southwestern flair:



Here is one I made a couple months back, hammered titanium with mother of pearl inlay. Little more detail and a lot more fun:

mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 09:35 PM
  #24002  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (that will soon have DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
I need one of those days off things! sounds nice! hahaha. What is music night? That sounds fun...



Duuuuuuuude! Lookin so good. I nearly forgot about it... how could I?! That is one rad bike!

In my little to no spare time, I love making things. Bicycle related, motorcycle, guns, cars, art, music... you name it doesn't matter! Nothing gives me more pleasure than making something out of nothing with my hands. One of the wayyyyy too many things I have my fingers in, is jewelry making. Pun intended I finished up this commissioned, very simple knuckle duster today. Nothing fancy, just some simple southwestern flair:



Here is one I made a couple months back, hammered titanium with mother of pearl inlay. Little more detail and a lot more fun:

Thanks!! I am so happy with it, the "new" derailleur looks so much better. I can't wait to get the whole thing fully set up so I can ride it more.

Those rings are also quite nice. I love titanium and the hammering is quite neat.
veganbikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 02:09 AM
  #24003  
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,135
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

Here is one I made a couple months back, hammered titanium with mother of pearl inlay. Little more detail and a lot more fun:

Damn, that looks great!
A few years ago I made some rings out of silicon bronze braze wire while work was slow. Boss wasn't pleased

hairnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 10:24 AM
  #24004  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,675

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
I need one of those days off things! sounds nice! hahaha. What is music night? That sounds fun...
I play piano and a couple buddies (usually guitar, bass, tenox sax) come over most weeks to play. We do jazz, some blues and pop and rock covers for funsies
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 12:06 PM
  #24005  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
I play piano and a couple buddies (usually guitar, bass, tenox sax) come over most weeks to play. We do jazz, some blues and pop and rock covers for funsies
heck yeh! Thatís awesome. You should do some audio / video recordings for the memories if nothing else!!
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 02:38 PM
  #24006  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 12,283

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5438 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Last night I hit a pot hole with my road bike.
Well, I don't like the way the trued Shimano C24 wheel rides and I've ordered a replacement.

Then last night I did this to my gravel bike. It is going to the wheel builder next week. 2019 is turning out to be a bad year for wheels.



I rode 16 miles of singletrack, gravel and pavement with it this way. Didn't see till this morning.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 03:19 PM
  #24007  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
Damn, that looks great!
A few years ago I made some rings out of silicon bronze braze wire while work was slow. Boss wasn't pleased

Awesome! that's a cool ring for sure!
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 07:32 PM
  #24008  
phobus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
2019 is turning out to be a bad year for wheels.
No kidding! Hope your luck turns around for the rest of the year.
phobus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 11:08 AM
  #24009  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Today I took the tires off my mtb to swap in more gravel friendly tires. The rear inner tube was over 450g! With the tire swap and a new tube, I can probably save 1-2 lbs.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-19, 09:35 PM
  #24010  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
Today I took the tires off my mtb to swap in more gravel friendly tires. The rear inner tube was over 450g! With the tire swap and a new tube, I can probably save 1-2 lbs.

Dave
Heck yeah! Thatís crazy... Iíve never contemplated tube weight, but Iím sure thereís something there, especially on large mtb tubes. Iím currently in the market for some new tires for my main steed. Iím running an nos freedom branded thickslick on back and a s-works gripton up front. Somewhere in the near future I would like to run a matching tire set and nice tubes
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 11:27 AM
  #24011  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,581

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Handsome Fredward

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
I reversed my brakes for cyclocross reasons. Hope I don't die this spring.
50voltphantom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 11:48 AM
  #24012  
phobus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South FL
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I reversed my brakes for cyclocross reasons. Hope I don't die this spring.
Did you do it on all your bikes? I'd be worried about having one setup opposite of the rest.
phobus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 01:06 PM
  #24013  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,581

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Handsome Fredward

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Originally Posted by phobus View Post
Did you do it on all your bikes? I'd be worried about having one setup opposite of the rest.
Yep. Just like my first time clipping in, I bet I eat it once never forget after that.
50voltphantom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 07:21 PM
  #24014  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post


Heck yeah! Thatís crazy... Iíve never contemplated tube weight, but Iím sure thereís something there, especially on large mtb tubes. Iím currently in the market for some new tires for my main steed. Iím running an nos freedom branded thickslick on back and a s-works gripton up front. Somewhere in the near future I would like to run a matching tire set and nice tubes
Swapped both tires and that one tube, and the bike is noticeably quicker! Can't wait to try it on some gravel! Had a blast on the road.

Do you have a performance bike near you? They are going out of business, just bought some lightweight 700c tubes (75g I think) for $6 each. Thickslicks are pretty heavy too, bet you'll lose some big weight swapping those. Victoria G+ speed tires are about 200g, probably worth a look.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 09:16 PM
  #24015  
mouse
dumb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tucson
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
Swapped both tires and that one tube, and the bike is noticeably quicker! Can't wait to try it on some gravel! Had a blast on the road.

Do you have a performance bike near you? They are going out of business, just bought some lightweight 700c tubes (75g I think) for $6 each. Thickslicks are pretty heavy too, bet you'll lose some big weight swapping those. Victoria G+ speed tires are about 200g, probably worth a look.

Dave
I do have a performance here in town. I bought my first single speed SE draft (what a piece of crap) from them over a decade ago and quickly realized thatís all they were good for. I definately need to go scoop up some consumables while theyíre cheap. Last I heard the local one was marked 50% off everything. Those tires are actually what I was looking at. Definately going to go have a peek this week
mouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-19, 04:26 AM
  #24016  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mouse View Post


I do have a performance here in town. I bought my first single speed SE draft (what a piece of crap) from them over a decade ago and quickly realized thatís all they were good for. I definately need to go scoop up some consumables while theyíre cheap. Last I heard the local one was marked 50% off everything. Those tires are actually what I was looking at. Definately going to go have a peek this week
Look for the Performance elite bib shorts too. They are regularly $100. Got a pair for $48, and they fit really well. Haven't ridden in them yet, but they are very comfortable.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-19, 09:30 AM
  #24017  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,675

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Stupid rain! Opting out of my interval workout on Fiesta Island and instead am going to do a trainer spin for an hour and then ride straight to work (8 mi). That's OK, was a little short on a sleep and not feeling entirely motivated to hammer this morning. Was still pretty sore last night from the weekend's endeavors.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-19, 11:24 AM
  #24018  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Today I was going to bring the fixed gear to work and ride at lunch. Couldn't find the key for my lock..grrr.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service