Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Southeast Regional Rides and Events Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-17, 06:13 AM   #1
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
2017 Horrible Hundred

Horrible Hundred 2017

The 38th annual Horrible Hundred will be November 19th, 2017, registration opens in mid August.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 05:20 PM   #2
Leo59
Senior Member
 
Leo59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: St Pete, Florida
Bikes: Trek Domane
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
Horrible Hundred 2017

The 38th annual Horrible Hundred will be November 19th, 2017, registration opens in mid August.
I'm going to set this as a goal for next year I think. I just started cycling in April and I really have no way to "train" for hills.
Are there smaller rides or is it just the HH?
Leo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 11:56 AM   #3
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo59 View Post
I'm going to set this as a goal for next year I think. I just started cycling in April and I really have no way to "train" for hills.
Are there smaller rides or is it just the HH?

There's a 100 mile, 70 mile(but the 30 mile difference is flat), and a 38 (I think) mile option (typically). There's been some road construction in the area, so we might have slightly different routes. Last year, I went rogue and did what's commonly called a grocery run-I know the area and made up a 40 mile route that hit rest stop 1, rest stop 4, and rest stop 2 without any of the "serious" climbs and it was pretty awesome, I was only off route (which would mean no SAG support) for about 5 miles.

I did the full 100 in 2015 as one of my bucket list items. I live close by, so training by riding the hills individually and then putting it all together was easy. Lots of people make a day trip out of driving to Clermont to ride the hills when the weather is better than this crap we are having right now. I've also heard that San Antonio has some good climbing as well. Use the wind to train for the hills if all you have available is flat ground.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 01:59 PM   #4
Leo59
Senior Member
 
Leo59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: St Pete, Florida
Bikes: Trek Domane
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
There's a 100 mile, 70 mile(but the 30 mile difference is flat), and a 38 (I think) mile option (typically). There's been some road construction in the area, so we might have slightly different routes. Last year, I went rogue and did what's commonly called a grocery run-I know the area and made up a 40 mile route that hit rest stop 1, rest stop 4, and rest stop 2 without any of the "serious" climbs and it was pretty awesome, I was only off route (which would mean no SAG support) for about 5 miles.

I did the full 100 in 2015 as one of my bucket list items. I live close by, so training by riding the hills individually and then putting it all together was easy. Lots of people make a day trip out of driving to Clermont to ride the hills when the weather is better than this crap we are having right now. I've also heard that San Antonio has some good climbing as well. Use the wind to train for the hills if all you have available is flat ground.
Thanks for this info as well! This one might be a bit too much at this time. I will see once it gets closer. My uncle lives in the Clermont area so once it "cools down" a bit, I may make some trips over there. I will need to get a reliable carrier for my Tacoma to start transporting my bicycle.
Leo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 07:03 AM   #5
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Registration scheduled to open on August 15th. The Holiday Inn Express has agreed to work with the club this and is offering a discounted rate and hopefully will have the breakfast buffet open early.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 01:19 PM   #6
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Bikes:
Posts: 4,971
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo59 View Post
I'm going to set this as a goal for next year I think. I just started cycling in April and I really have no way to "train" for hills.
Are there smaller rides or is it just the HH?
Sure you do my man, it's called intervals, head winds, bridges, and San Antonio
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2017 Raleigh Tamland 1
shoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 02:38 PM   #7
wthensler 
Senior Member
 
wthensler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gatorland and BlueRidge heaven
Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, 2018 Spec Roubaix Expert (coming soon)
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Any route maps I can access? How popular is the ride in terms of number of riders? I'd be coming from Gainesville.....
__________________
Ride hard and ride on......
wthensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 10:11 AM   #8
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Bikes:
Posts: 4,971
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthensler View Post
Any route maps I can access? How popular is the ride in terms of number of riders? I'd be coming from Gainesville.....
EXTREMELY popular. It's a great time. The route is marked really well. I don't know of anyone that had a map or anything like that. It would be hard to get lost.
Here's my ride from last year's: https://www.strava.com/activities/781276268
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2017 Raleigh Tamland 1

Last edited by shoota; 08-09-17 at 10:16 AM.
shoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 10:39 AM   #9
Podagrower
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Podagrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida
Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Gary Fisher Wahoo (hers), Jamis Coda Sport, Niner RLT9
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthensler View Post
Any route maps I can access? How popular is the ride in terms of number of riders? I'd be coming from Gainesville.....
Route maps won't be out until the permits are approved, but you can find older versions on Strava or RidewithGPS. Typical attendance is around 1,500 riders, which has pluses and minuses, there is no "mass start" because the start location and surrounding roads would be overwhelmed, so you get to decide on your own start time.
Podagrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 03:05 AM   #10
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo59 View Post
I'm going to set this as a goal for next year I think. I just started cycling in April and I really have no way to "train" for hills.
Are there smaller rides or is it just the HH?
You are about 1 hour away from San Antonio and 1.75 hour away from Clermont so no excuses regarding not being able to train.

Shorter rides available so "get 'er done"
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 08:31 AM   #11
Leo59
Senior Member
 
Leo59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: St Pete, Florida
Bikes: Trek Domane
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
You are about 1 hour away from San Antonio and 1.75 hour away from Clermont so no excuses regarding not being able to train.

Shorter rides available so "get 'er done"
Definitely looking forward to this however I've yet to ride on a street/road. I've only ridden on the Pinellas Trail (which is ALL paved). I'm going to have to learn to ride on a street ASAP I guess!
Leo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 04:27 PM   #12
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Registration is open and I'm IN!!!!
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 05:48 PM   #13
wthensler 
Senior Member
 
wthensler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gatorland and BlueRidge heaven
Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, 2018 Spec Roubaix Expert (coming soon)
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Me too! Maybe we'll say hello before (or after) the ride. Not sure if I'm doing 70 or 100 yet
__________________
Ride hard and ride on......
wthensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 06:11 PM   #14
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthensler View Post
Me too! Maybe we'll say hello before (or after) the ride. Not sure if I'm doing 70 or 100 yet
Good deal. Set goal towards 100 and you can always shorten the ride while in progress.

I went out early AM today and crashed at 12.92 miles. Ticked off at my stupidity I just HAD to follow the DUMB ASS move by riding a century after it.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:19 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION