Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Stone Mountain Path: Clarkston

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Stone Mountain Path: Clarkston

Old 04-07-18, 07:40 AM
  #1  
Skin-Pounder
Thread Starter
 
Bikes-N-Drums's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Clarkston (Atlanta, GA., USA)
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stone Mountain Path: Clarkston

Despite a dedicated old-rail-line path through the area, road bike cyclists tend to use the streets instead (which is perfectly fine).

WARNING: At the intersection of Erskine and Otello you road cyclists blow though the stop sign with alarming frequency. A cyclist was KILLED at this intersection blowing through a stop sign just a few years back.

Please stop this or use the adjacent path.
Bikes-N-Drums is offline  
Old 04-07-18, 08:52 AM
  #2  
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
Despite a dedicated old-rail-line path through the area, road bike cyclists tend to use the streets instead (which is perfectly fine).

WARNING: At the intersection of Erskine and Otello you road cyclists blow though the stop sign with alarming frequency. A cyclist was KILLED at this intersection blowing through a stop sign just a few years back.

Please stop this or use the adjacent path.
It drives me insane when I see other cyclists do crap like that. I also will see some stop behind cars at a redlight but then switch to crosswalk to get across the street and then back on the street because they donít want to wait for the light. I definitely understand using the streets instead of the path for many sections as the path there are so many places you have to pause/stop crossing intersections or driveways
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 08:08 AM
  #3  
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 4,299

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The last time I tried to ride that, as a whole, has been some few years ago. At the time, coming out from Atlanta, the trail rather just disappeared right near Fernbank and at that time put you out on Ponce (IIRC) at about the worst point you could be. Damned dangerous area. I haven't tried it since...

With the new section purchase completed along the lower end, I am looking forward to an attempt to do the east and west side trails w/o taking to 'road' this summer...realizing there is still massive amounts of work to do and years to completion on that section.
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 05:28 PM
  #4  
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
The last time I tried to ride that, as a whole, has been some few years ago. At the time, coming out from Atlanta, the trail rather just disappeared right near Fernbank and at that time put you out on Ponce (IIRC) at about the worst point you could be. Damned dangerous area. I haven't tried it since...

With the new section purchase completed along the lower end, I am looking forward to an attempt to do the east and west side trails w/o taking to 'road' this summer...realizing there is still massive amounts of work to do and years to completion on that section.
Iím new to the area so donít really know where fernbank is the path is pretty well connected, at least from Decatur all the way to Stone Mountain. Near 285 overpass you have to get on the road briefly but theyíre building a bike bridge over 285 so that will be done soon. Then Clarkston you basically go on low traffic roads for a bit before connection back to the path. I get annoyed with the path with all the driveway for businesses that cross the path which is why I understand cyclists wanting to stay on the road
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-08-18, 09:13 PM
  #5  
Skin-Pounder
Thread Starter
 
Bikes-N-Drums's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Clarkston (Atlanta, GA., USA)
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I get annoyed with the path with all the driveway for businesses that cross the path which is why I understand cyclists wanting to stay on the road
This part of the path (Erskine/Otello) is free from driveways and businesses. The road is nice but the intersection happens at the bottom of three hills, so no matter which way you travel the urge to maintain your momentum is compelling.

Someone died here trying to maintain their momentum. Sad, and truly an easily avoidable tragedy.
Bikes-N-Drums is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 06:50 AM
  #6  
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Posts: 18,209

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
This part of the path (Erskine/Otello) is free from driveways and businesses. The road is nice but the intersection happens at the bottom of three hills, so no matter which way you travel the urge to maintain your momentum is compelling.

Someone died here trying to maintain their momentum. Sad, and truly an easily avoidable tragedy.
To miss many of the driveways near where the Path crosses Mountain Industrial I'd turn north off the Path at McCurdy Dr. and then turn east onto Lewis Dr. and take it to the end. It curves south back to the Path farther east and becomes Rock Mountain Blvd. It comes back to the Path across from Eagle Rock Distributing. Then I'd head east on the Path to Stone Mtn park. Going back to Decatur I'd take the same route to miss many of those pesky driveways.
__________________
The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. - Psalm 103:8

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
RonH is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 07:19 AM
  #7  
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
This part of the path (Erskine/Otello) is free from driveways and businesses. The road is nice but the intersection happens at the bottom of three hills, so no matter which way you travel the urge to maintain your momentum is compelling.

Someone died here trying to maintain their momentum. Sad, and truly an easily avoidable tragedy.
oh yes. looking at google maps I know that section. I rode it yesterday and sure enough on the way back a car blew through the stop sign. I also saw two cycles run a red light at church and n. decatur. granted they stopped looked both ways then proceeded.
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 08:44 AM
  #8  
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
To miss many of the driveways near where the Path crosses Mountain Industrial I'd turn north off the Path at McCurdy Dr. and then turn east onto Lewis Dr. and take it to the end. It curves south back to the Path farther east and becomes Rock Mountain Blvd. It comes back to the Path across from Eagle Rock Distributing. Then I'd head east on the Path to Stone Mtn park. Going back to Decatur I'd take the same route to miss many of those pesky driveways.
that's a good tip. I'm also going to follow the route from avondale (pizza ride). I have not gotten out on a thursday to join that group yet.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1923292
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-09-18, 11:48 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,096
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
WARNING: At the intersection of Erskine and Otello you road cyclists blow though the stop sign with alarming frequency. A cyclist was KILLED at this intersection blowing through a stop sign just a few years back.
Link to news article please, I don't believe you.

ETA: Looks like 10 years ago and it's not clear what you say is what actually happened. Please don't slander the dead to push an agenda. This is a very typical two-party collision where one party is killed, the other serves as their own exonerating witness and law enforcement does not choose to investigate. Did Clarkston have it's on police department in 2008 or was it served by Dekalb County? The latter is a shocking corrupt organization at all levels which no doubt contributed to a instant clearance for this incident.

Clarkston Cyclist Mourned ? Decatur Metro ? Local News, Real Estate, Business News

Obituary Article

Here's the intersection

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 04-09-18 at 12:05 PM.
Spoonrobot is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
GlennR
Northeast
46
10-01-19 06:42 PM
Bumer
Advocacy & Safety
35
10-15-12 06:54 AM
Pamestique
Southern California
27
03-07-12 03:23 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.