Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Cumming GA / Forsyth Big Creek Greenway has 10% Grades if u want 'em :- ) ! ! !

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Cumming GA / Forsyth Big Creek Greenway has 10% Grades if u want 'em :- ) ! ! !

Old 10-20-18, 10:46 AM
  #1  
BikePackin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BikePackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yonder Pass, USA
Posts: 233

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cumming GA / Forsyth Big Creek Greenway has 10% Grades if u want 'em :- ) ! ! !

Fyi ~ For those of us that dig climbing ....
I was pleasantly surprised by the approx. 10% grade ( a 1/4 mile and a 1/8 + mile as best as I can remember) climbs in the Forsyth Greenway north of the Bethelview Parking area.
NOTE: At this time there are NO parking areas north of Bethelview.
Additionally let me offer that this northern section of the trail is really well maintained and, probably because of the hills (?), is not real busy at all.
https://parks.forsythco.com/Parks-an...Creek-Greenway
BikePackin is offline  
Old 10-20-18, 08:34 PM
  #2  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,783

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6832 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 425 Posts
Yep, I remember climbing the stepped hills on a 48x16 fixed gear.
.
There are a few good hills if you continue on the roads into Cumming.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 11-07-18, 12:13 PM
  #3  
xodondum
Senior Member
 
xodondum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: ATL ,GA. NE corridor
Posts: 191

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5; 95 GT Outpost; 08 Walgoose BMX; 09 Fuji CCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10%!? I've been on that greenway end to end many times & don't ever recall that steep of a grade there. post a hi-lighted map of that area? unless you're referring to the off road mtn bike sections which I have not done.
xodondum is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 11:36 AM
  #4  
BikePackin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BikePackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yonder Pass, USA
Posts: 233

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum View Post
10%!? I've been on that greenway end to end many times & don't ever recall that steep of a grade there. post a hi-lighted map of that area? unless you're referring to the off road mtn bike sections which I have not done.
I am talking north of the previously most northern point ("Bethelview") of the Cumming/Forsyth Greenway which is 6 miles of all paved (not "mtn bike section") and has actually greater than 10% Grades (not degrees of slope - maybe you are thinking degrees of slope .... I am talking Grades as are used in the road construction profession) and I did not want to say greater than 10%, though they actually are :- ), cause I wanted no one to think I might be exaggerating. I use the Grade-o-Meter from The Adventure Cycling Association to read the Grades..... I know it reads accurately as I have compared it with the signage all along the full 600 miles of SkylineDrive/BlueRidgeParkway and the Grade-o-Meter is dead on accurate.
You challenged me to post a link .... you are welcome to go my Original Post and look at the area north of the Bethelview parking area.
BikePackin is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 02:38 PM
  #5  
xodondum
Senior Member
 
xodondum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: ATL ,GA. NE corridor
Posts: 191

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5; 95 GT Outpost; 08 Walgoose BMX; 09 Fuji CCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK I see where the disconnect is, literally. That section of Big Creek is quite far from the 8 mile section south of it. It would be kool if they united the 2.
xodondum is offline  
Old 11-10-18, 07:45 PM
  #6  
BikePackin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BikePackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yonder Pass, USA
Posts: 233

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum View Post
OK I see where the disconnect is, literally. That section of Big Creek is quite far from the 8 mile section south of it. It would be kool if they united the 2.
You are so, so right .... I am long awaiting with you for that great day.
BikePackin is offline  
Old 01-06-19, 06:31 PM
  #7  
Bike4Life1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on that sections many times... but as of yet haven't been able to make it up without a walk of shame.... Perhaps that should be my goal for this year.... Does anyone know what that actual grade is and how does it compare to mountain grades in some of the bigger Pro races? I think it is amazing, that the pros can go for hours up a grade like that and I'm winded after a few minutes on them...
Bike4Life1 is offline  
Old 07-02-19, 09:28 PM
  #8  
xodondum
Senior Member
 
xodondum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: ATL ,GA. NE corridor
Posts: 191

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5; 95 GT Outpost; 08 Walgoose BMX; 09 Fuji CCR3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode it for the 1st time over the weekend. I liked the climb, didn't have to stop. but the rest of trail left a lot to be desired, too much wood boardwalk and too many walkers.
xodondum is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 05:01 PM
  #9  
SilverRubicon
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum View Post
I rode it for the 1st time over the weekend. I liked the climb, didn't have to stop. but the rest of trail left a lot to be desired, too much wood boardwalk and too many walkers.
Would it be enjoyable off peak season? Or did you simply not enjoy the trail?
SilverRubicon is offline  
Old 06-18-20, 01:13 PM
  #10  
MrChrome
Mr Chrome
 
MrChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 16

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, so I'm the guy who did the original surveying for section 4 of the Forsyth Greenway.......yes, it was as tough as you might expect to survey through the jungle along Big Creek; I also surveyed section 5 that will go over the west side of Sawnee Mt. to Spot Rd., then up to Sawnee Preserve - you'll be seeing some pretty big grades along the mountain section, too..........one of the toughest jobs I've ever done but really sort of liked the work......
MrChrome is offline  
Likes For MrChrome:
Old 06-19-20, 04:28 PM
  #11  
BikePackin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BikePackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yonder Pass, USA
Posts: 233

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
Ok, so I'm the guy who did the original surveying for section 4 of the Forsyth Greenway.......yes, it was as tough as you might expect to survey through the jungle along Big Creek; I also surveyed section 5 that will go over the west side of Sawnee Mt. to Spot Rd., then up to Sawnee Preserve - you'll be seeing some pretty big grades along the mountain section, too..........one of the toughest jobs I've ever done but really sort of liked the work......
I REALLY thank you for laying out Section 4 the way you did.
When is longest would you guess it'll be for your Section 5 to be open to the public?
- Many thanks.
BikePackin is offline  
Old 06-19-20, 05:19 PM
  #12  
MrChrome
Mr Chrome
 
MrChrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 16

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 / 2012 SC Tallboy Al / Ti SS 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
-That I can't say - the original surveys for each section were done in 2009-2010......quite a bit has changed but one thing holding up section 5 was Johnson Rd: the families that live along this dirt road were promised that is would be paved and it never was - they were insulted when the county decided it would put an 8' concrete trail in when they hadn't kept their part of the bargain......most of the land between Kelly Mill and Hwy 20 is family land except for where the trail was supposed to run through some neighborhoods; some of this land has been sold for more neighborhoods and some hasn't (it's still family land).......I reckon I might check into an ETA for the rest of the trail........
MrChrome is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 08:00 AM
  #13  
BikePackin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BikePackin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Yonder Pass, USA
Posts: 233

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
-That I can't say - the original surveys for each section were done in 2009-2010......quite a bit has changed but one thing holding up section 5 was Johnson Rd: the families that live along this dirt road were promised that is would be paved and it never was - they were insulted when the county decided it would put an 8' concrete trail in when they hadn't kept their part of the bargain......most of the land between Kelly Mill and Hwy 20 is family land except for where the trail was supposed to run through some neighborhoods; some of this land has been sold for more neighborhoods and some hasn't (it's still family land).......I reckon I might check into an ETA for the rest of the trail........
Thanks Mr. C.
BikePackin is offline  
Old 06-28-20, 05:05 AM
  #14  
Bike4Life1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THanks Mr. Chrome... I'm a big fan of the Greenway... looking forward to riding the new section
Bike4Life1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
3949dxer
Northern California
6
05-12-18 12:27 PM
gurk700
Northern California
28
10-08-17 09:12 PM
Pistard
Northeast
5
08-03-17 07:11 PM
floridamtb
Road Cycling
8
10-14-13 01:57 PM
jeneralist
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
8
07-16-11 09:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.