Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

OC Bike Peters Canyon Trail Petition: Signers Wanted

Southern California Southern California

OC Bike Peters Canyon Trail Petition: Signers Wanted

Old 07-22-15, 06:05 PM
  #1  
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
Thread Starter
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Posts: 1,281

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OC Bike Peters Canyon Trail Petition: Signers Wanted

Via OC Bike: there is a petition circulating regarding the Peters Canyon Trail (Irvine). The word that I got was that they need about another 230 signatories. You can find the petition here.

Originally Posted by OC Bike
The Peters Canyon Trail, a proposed paved Class 1 route, has been on county planning maps for decades. A continuation of the Mountains to Sea Trail which connects Back Bay with Santiago Canyon, all county agencies including Flood Control, Beaches and Park, and the Transportation Authority have signed on to move forward with this improvement.

But now this vital link is in jeopardy.

Local home owners near Peters Canyon Regional Park have complained to County Supervisors. Displaying the worst "Not in My Backyard" behavior, their spurious claims against bicyclists are killing this project. Here are the facts:

Peters Canyon Regional Park is a public recreation asset for all our citizens, paid for by countywide tax dollars.

The park is not a "wilderness" and bicyclists using a paved trail to traverse the park will not disturb its ambiance.

Contrary to local claims, cyclists do not ride 35 miles an hour anywhere on Class 1 trails.

Jamboree Road is not an alternative. The volume and speed of traffic is intimidating to new bicycle commuters.

If Orange County is serious about encouraging Active Transportation, then connecting the Peters Canyon Trail through its namesake Park is a must.

Please sign and help us circulate the Petition to the Orange County Board of Supervisors and County Beaches and Parks Commission.
ZippyThePinhead is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 06:33 PM
  #2  
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic
 
TankSlapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Done and shared with friends!
TankSlapper is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:54 AM
  #3  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, my opinion, there is no need to continue a paved trail through Peters Canyon. One is able to use several alternative routes of paved road around Peter's without further disrupting the delicate balance of nature in Peter's Canyon, which is now already overused by pedestrians and mountain bikers. Jamboree (and other alternative paved roads) nearby have nice wide bike lanes and the sidewalks can also be used as a bike trail. Yes I know it would be more convenient to pave Peter's Canyon but frankly the route isn't long enough to really affect anything... eventually you have to get out on Jamboree etc.

As to claims of rowdy and speedy cyclists... sorry but they are everywhere. I often ride the bike trails around Irvine and Orange and am often passed by riders going too darn fast... neither here or there but let's just be truthful.

PS - not trying to start anything but before we advocate paving Peter's Canyon, do your research as to the value it has to wild life...
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 11:30 AM
  #4  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,138

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Is there any way to participate in those without endless spam from change about somebody's brother who is incarcerated for possession of narcotics but he's really a good kid and doesn't deserve it?
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 12:19 PM
  #5  
LGHT
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,421

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Personally, my opinion, there is no need to continue a paved trail through Peters Canyon. One is able to use several alternative routes of paved road around Peter's without further disrupting the delicate balance of nature in Peter's Canyon, which is now already overused by pedestrians and mountain bikers. Jamboree (and other alternative paved roads) nearby have nice wide bike lanes and the sidewalks can also be used as a bike trail. Yes I know it would be more convenient to pave Peter's Canyon but frankly the route isn't long enough to really affect anything... eventually you have to get out on Jamboree etc.

As to claims of rowdy and speedy cyclists... sorry but they are everywhere. I often ride the bike trails around Irvine and Orange and am often passed by riders going too darn fast... neither here or there but let's just be truthful.

PS - not trying to start anything but before we advocate paving Peter's Canyon, do your research as to the value it has to wild life...
I live in the area and I'm actually one of the home owners who voted against it so I have to agree with Pam. I ride the area at least once a week and rode it last night. There are already several other paved options available if new riders don't like riding in bike lanes on Jamboree

The answer isn't yet another paved road especially considering OC already has a good amount of trials to ride already.

Plus I enjoy riding that route in the dirt on my hybrid and that trial gets a good amount of use by the 29'rs.
LGHT is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 01:24 PM
  #6  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: There are really a couple of roads better than Jamboree... I usually take Pioneer up where it connects to Jamboree at the Salvation Army Church or if feeling good, I continue on the Peter's Canyon paved trail to the park and then connect to the road that ends at Skyline. There is climbing involved but its a nice scenic route. You can continue by using Newport Blvd but I go into the neighborhood and climb up the "back side" and connect to Newport at the top of the climb. Scenic but hilly...

Or ride a Hybrid or MTB bike and use the dirt to connect. From my house I usually ride paved and dirt roads, going through Peter's to reach Santiago Oaks...
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 08:40 PM
  #7  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,838

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
How did you find out my brother was incarcerated? LOL
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 07-24-15, 05:29 PM
  #8  
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
Thread Starter
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Posts: 1,281

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Is there any way to participate in those without endless spam from change about somebody's brother who is incarcerated for possession of narcotics but he's really a good kid and doesn't deserve it?
Use a throw-away email address.
ZippyThePinhead is offline  
Old 07-28-15, 08:34 AM
  #9  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
I live in the area and I'm actually one of the home owners who voted against it so I have to agree with Pam. I ride the area at least once a week and rode it last night. There are already several other paved options available if new riders don't like riding in bike lanes on Jamboree

The answer isn't yet another paved road especially considering OC already has a good amount of trials to ride already.

Plus I enjoy riding that route in the dirt on my hybrid and that trial gets a good amount of use by the 29'rs.
I also agree with this completely. What's the point when you have Jamboree, Pioneer, Lemon Heights, or Newport - all of which are very bike friendly.
Elvo is offline  
Old 07-29-15, 04:49 PM
  #10  
RStewinCA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine
Posts: 12

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have to agree with Pamestique's assessment. Jamboree has very wide bike lanes and I don't ever remember any problems (other than the climb up to the Orange city limit sign, and that's my problem).

I understand the Peter's Canyon park is not true wilderness, but I cannot see it being improved by putting a paved path through the park.
RStewinCA is offline  
Old 07-30-15, 02:30 AM
  #11  
bikeme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
A paved path through Peters would be an eyesore in my opinion.
bikeme is offline  
Old 07-30-15, 09:35 AM
  #12  
mwandaw
Half Fast
 
mwandaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 674

Bikes: A road bike and a tandem road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It seems the majority of responses to this thread are against a paved path through the park. I think the opposing points have merit, but I want to make some counterpoints.

The park right now is attractive to hikers, equestrians and mountain/hybrid bike riders. A paved path would allow the park to be enjoyed by other users, such as wheel chair users, road bicyclists and hand-cyclists. It would also open the park to casual riders like Moms and Dads who want to ride their cruiser bikes along with their kids. Most of these people would have no interest in riding on Jamboree or other nearby streets. I guess that users currently served by the park feel they should have a place of their own, but urban park land is scarce, and it should usually be open to many types of users.

The key to opening the park to other users is pavement. I guess a paved path would follow an existing trail in the park. If so, there wouldn't be much impact on the appearance of the park other than changing the color of one path from brown to black.
mwandaw is offline  
Old 07-30-15, 10:57 AM
  #13  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,079
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mwandaw View Post
It seems the majority of responses to this thread are against a paved path through the park. I think the opposing points have merit, but I want to make some counterpoints.

The park right now is attractive to hikers, equestrians and mountain/hybrid bike riders. A paved path would allow the park to be enjoyed by other users, such as wheel chair users, road bicyclists and hand-cyclists. It would also open the park to casual riders like Moms and Dads who want to ride their cruiser bikes along with their kids. Most of these people would have no interest in riding on Jamboree or other nearby streets. I guess that users currently served by the park feel they should have a place of their own, but urban park land is scarce, and it should usually be open to many types of users.

The key to opening the park to other users is pavement. I guess a paved path would follow an existing trail in the park. If so, there wouldn't be much impact on the appearance of the park other than changing the color of one path from brown to black.
There are plenty of paved paths around. Plus there is a significant climb (~5%) and a significant grade (~1-2%) going downhill. It's really easy to hit 20 mph going downhill on a 29er without putting much power. Combined with the typical Santa Ana wind tailwind, you will have roadies (like me) screaming down the path at 30 mph.
Elvo is offline  
Old 07-30-15, 12:12 PM
  #14  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand both sides but frankly, Peter's Canyon is just way too small for any more intrusion it already suffers... I remember when it was a small wilderness area used by mountain bikers and hikers... all of hte trails were basically singletrack. Now with so much foot and other traffic the trails are like a freeway and the park is really so overused. I never understand the argument wheelchair acess is required everywhere... I don't see anyone in a wheelchair ever trying to use the park especially when Irvine Park, with many nice paved trails, is nearby. Same argument for familes and kids...go to Irvine Park (although I see parents and kids riding and hiking in Peter's all the time without a paved trail). Let's try and preserve Peter's as much as possible... it is already heavily used and added a paved trail will just make the experience all the more miserable...
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-30-15, 01:05 PM
  #15  
LGHT
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,421

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree and I see both sides, but you bring up a great point in how close Irvine park is. I mean does EVERY possible park / area have to have a paved trial for the people to be happy? Why can't 1 park be paved and the other not without all the complaining..
LGHT is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
johnnyspaghetti
Great Lakes
0
09-14-17 09:52 AM
slickdude
Southern California Regional Rides and Events
0
05-12-14 10:17 PM
Barrettscv
Classic & Vintage
17
05-29-13 01:37 PM
bhdavis1978
Commuting
7
10-27-12 06:23 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.