Southern California Southern California

FYI 405 Freeway expansion in Orange County

Reply

Old 01-27-18, 08:07 PM
  #1  
skidder
Evil Genius
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 742

Bikes: More than I need.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
FYI 405 Freeway expansion in Orange County

405 Freeway expansion starts this year:

The biggest direct impact for bicycle traffic will be on the SART later this year (if the construction timeline is correct) when the freeway is widened over the 405 freeway. I'll almost bet they'll close the SART for some time during this project (probably during the peak-use summer season). Sheesh, it gets closed by the homeless situation, now this. From a driver's perspective I'm not too thrilled that they are taking away the carpool lanes and turning them into toll lanes, and using Measure 'M' funds to do it, since the lanes were already paid for with gas tax monies, AND Measure 'M' funds were supposed to be used for road maintenance, not building toll lanes.

https://voiceofoc.org/2018/01/constr...way-expansion/
skidder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 09:36 PM
  #2  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Hey, those tolls go to support cheap bus fares man... Good point though.

The other freeway overpass projects took what, 6 months each (SART at the 91, Coyote creek at the 5)? It's going to be a while.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 08:26 AM
  #3  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,692

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
405 Freeway expansion starts this year:

The biggest direct impact for bicycle traffic will be on the SART later this year (if the construction timeline is correct) when the freeway is widened over the 405 freeway. I'll almost bet they'll close the SART for some time during this project (probably during the peak-use summer season). Sheesh, it gets closed by the homeless situation, now this. From a driver's perspective I'm not too thrilled that they are taking away the carpool lanes and turning them into toll lanes, and using Measure 'M' funds to do it, since the lanes were already paid for with gas tax monies, AND Measure 'M' funds were supposed to be used for road maintenance, not building toll lanes.

https://voiceofoc.org/2018/01/constr...way-expansion/
I used a toll road going from Tustin to Aliso Viejo. Took that toll road round trip on a weekday. This was for work. but at the office it got busy and forgot to go online to pay the toll. So beyond that 5 day grace period, I suddenly remembered that I forgot.

I went online to get the phone number and the lady said I have to pay $127. What? You got to be kidding!!

Little did I know that its suppose to scare you into joining one of their sign-up programs. So I signed up for their lowest level of participation. Paid the $23 with my credit card right there and then.

This registration only includes 4 Toll Roads in Orange County because I chose the lowest participation: 73, 133, 241, 261.

I would imagine the toll charge next to the 405 expansion isn't covered, right?
Garfield Cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 12:40 PM
  #4  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
I used a toll road going from Tustin to Aliso Viejo. Took that toll road round trip on a weekday. This was for work. but at the office it got busy and forgot to go online to pay the toll. So beyond that 5 day grace period, I suddenly remembered that I forgot.

I went online to get the phone number and the lady said I have to pay $127. What? You got to be kidding!!

Little did I know that its suppose to scare you into joining one of their sign-up programs. So I signed up for their lowest level of participation. Paid the $23 with my credit card right there and then.

This registration only includes 4 Toll Roads in Orange County because I chose the lowest participation: 73, 133, 241, 261.

I would imagine the toll charge next to the 405 expansion isn't covered, right?
If we're lucky it will be YET ANOTHER standalone toll program. In all seriousness, it will probably be the same thing as the 10 and the 110 (fastrack?) but you have to have their damn $3 a month hardware and can't just pay for it after the fact.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 09:19 PM
  #5  
skidder
Evil Genius
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 742

Bikes: More than I need.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
If we're lucky it will be YET ANOTHER standalone toll program. In all seriousness, it will probably be the same thing as the 10 and the 110 (fastrack?) but you have to have their damn $3 a month hardware and can't just pay for it after the fact.
My brother works up near downtown L.A., used to carpool up there with a co0worker a few days aweek so they could use the (formerly free) carpool lane on the 110 freeway. He got super P.O.d when it got changed to a toll lane ('Lexus Lane' is what its being called), and now he and the coworker drive their own cars. My brother does take the Metro trains from Long Beach on occasion, but he's still peeved about the whole situation.

The 405 toll lane will probably be integrated into the OC toll system, but I bet there wont be any coordination between OC and LA on this since they are in different counties/under different Caltrans jurisdictions.
skidder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 09:26 PM
  #6  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,681

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
I've had a toll transponder for the 241/261/73 routes for as long as I can remember. It's always worked on the 91 although I haven't used it there in years. I was driving in the Bay Area Memorial Day weekend 2001 and my transponder worked for the Golden Gate Bridge. So there is/was some sort of coordination. I've never tried the 110.
jimincalif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 12:22 AM
  #7  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
My wife just told me her fastrack transponder (110/10) works on the 73.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 01:12 PM
  #8  
Eggman84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
From a driver's perspective I'm not too thrilled that they are taking away the carpool lanes and turning them into toll lanes, and using Measure 'M' funds to do it, since the lanes were already paid for with gas tax monies, AND Measure 'M' funds were supposed to be used for road maintenance, not building toll lanes. https://voiceofoc.org/2018/01/constr...way-expansion/
Measure M funds are only spent in LA county, funded by a sales tax in LA county (so yes if you live elsewhere but buy something in LA county you are helping to fund transportation in LA county). Measure M funds can not be spent in Orange County. Not sure where Orange County is getting the approximately $2 Billion to fund expansion of the 405. I do find it funny that Orange County is doubling down on highways as studies show that expanding highways does not reduce congestion. It is also a fallacy that gas taxes cover 100% of road building/maintenance cost; don't know latest figures but the rest is from general tax fund. Oh, and what happens when those new lanes hit LA county line, or south past John Wayne Airport. To me it seems they are just making a larger parking lot. As a transportation cyclist though, it will provided me more humor as I pass over the 405 and see even more people sitting in their expensive cars fuming about how all those other inconsiderate folk are causing gridlock, climate change, etc.
Eggman84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 02:00 PM
  #9  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 1,026

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
When I was working, there were many times I would find myself on the 110 going North into LA around 4-5 in morning. The toll lane (let alone the whole freeway) was basically wide open. You'd always see someone blasting down the toll road when the rest of the lanes were wide open too. I'm guessing a lot of big companies give these transponders to there employees and the guys driving really don't give a heck about it.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 02:03 PM
  #10  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 1,026

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Widening freeways, creating toll and carpool lanes really doesn't do anything. It's like giving an alcoholic a bigger bottle.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 02:43 PM
  #11  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
When I was working, there were many times I would find myself on the 110 going North into LA around 4-5 in morning. The toll lane (let alone the whole freeway) was basically wide open. You'd always see someone blasting down the toll road when the rest of the lanes were wide open too. I'm guessing a lot of big companies give these transponders to there employees and the guys driving really don't give a heck about it.
My favorite highway sighting is the solo driver in a carpool lane when there is no appreciable traffic in the normal lanes (in a non-transponder area). Why risk a $400 fine for nothing?
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 03:25 PM
  #12  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,681

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Eggman84 View Post
Not sure where Orange County is getting the approximately $2 Billion to fund expansion of the 405.
OC has its own Measure M, dating back to 1991 and extended to something like 2041:

Measure M Overview
jimincalif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 04:02 PM
  #13  
Eggman84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
OC has its own Measure M, dating back to 1991 and extended to something like 2041:

Measure M Overview
Thanks for the link. Was unaware of that. I never have figured out the numbering/lettering system used in California for all the ballot initiatives. Designed to confuse the voter?
Eggman84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 05:06 PM
  #14  
calamarichris
Horse Categorie
 
calamarichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,041

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Orangutan County, lol.
calamarichris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 05:26 PM
  #15  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,095

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
I always like it when they raise the price of gas..... gets people off the highway so I can get to work.
trailangel is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 05:57 PM
  #16  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,681

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Eggman84 View Post
I never have figured out the numbering/lettering system used in California for all the ballot initiatives. Designed to confuse the voter?
Confuse? Our honest public servants would never try to confuse voters! [/sarcasm]
jimincalif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:22 PM
  #17  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,157

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, RIP 12 Trek 4.5 Madone RIP, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace & 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
As a former commuter that had to drive that stretch between the 405/22 and the 405/73 thru HB and Westminster etc....I am glad they are finally doing something. That was the worst part of my commute from Lakewood to Laguna Hills. It was bumper to bumper thru that section / stop and go...at a crawl. Freeway got gradually wider closer it got to 73 and beyond...and the traffic moved faster. It was the reason I was riding my motorcycle to get to work 2 days a week. And that lasted about 5 months before I was hit.
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 02:09 AM
  #18  
LKA 
Senior Member
 
LKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC, Planet Earth
Posts: 82

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '87-712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
A little after Y2K I began work @ the Caltrans Transportation Management Center [TMC] off Sand Canyon... <3 miles from home, so I didn't even need a freeway to get there. Oh the irony. Being able to walk/bike to work was beyond awesome...happiest I'd ever been in a job. More irony: before that, I had to commute by air-rental car. And prior to that I commuted by bike ~14 miles to Costa Mesa for several years, always amazed @ the congested 405 [6:30-7AM] no matter which bridge I used to cycle across...back then any bridge North of Red Hill offered a great gridlock view. After a life of extremes in commuting, I've found that a no-car/no-airplane commute is a huge cog in the happiness machine.

Note: Please don't flood me with Caltrans complaints- I was only a contract IT consultant who left a while back to care for Mom who has late stage Alzheimer's. When Mom passes, I may go back to work...and a freeway commute will definitely be a deal-breaker.

Good night all!
__________________
There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
- Aristotle
LKA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 04:50 PM
  #19  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LKA View Post
...and a freeway commute will definitely be a deal-breaker.
I feel ya! I work at home. I'll drive into the office once a week (maybe) for some socializing and a meeting but not till 11 am and then I stay late to avoid the nastiness.

Even so, I still put 15-20k miles on my car each year driving my kids all over creation.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 10:02 PM
  #20  
LKA 
Senior Member
 
LKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: OC, Planet Earth
Posts: 82

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '87-712

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I feel ya! I work at home. I'll drive into the office once a week (maybe) for some socializing and a meeting but not till 11 am and then I stay late to avoid the nastiness.

Even so, I still put 15-20k miles on my car each year driving my kids all over creation.
You are an unsung hero, one of the few actually helping to reduce both traffic & pollution. Oh wait, you said you have kids, never mind. LOL, just kidding, old guy humor. Mine are all grown, but hey 2 out of 3 are cyclists.

Back to the topic.....in all, a five year project. Ouch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those seeking more information, I offer some copy/paste & a couple links.

Per the OCTA site:
OCTA in cooperation with Caltrans is widening the San Diego Freeway (I-405) between SR-73 and I-605.The project will improve 16 miles of I-405 between the SR-73 freeway in Costa Mesa and I-605 near the L.A. County line. Overnight lane and ramp closures are anticipated to begin Tuesday, Mar. 6 as early as 9 p.m.

Design & construction - 2018 to 2023
Project completion &
405 express lanes open - 2023

I-405 Improvements (propaganda)
Map & timeline (may yield certificate error)

Goodnight!
__________________
There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
- Aristotle

Last edited by LKA; 03-12-18 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
LKA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 10:32 AM
  #21  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
so 5 year PLAN which means a 7 year project with assorted overruns. (naturally)
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-18, 02:43 PM
  #22  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,681

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
so 5 year PLAN which means a 7 year project with assorted overruns. (naturally)
No doubt, but it will still be done before the train to nowhere!
jimincalif is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 05:36 AM
  #23  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,692

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Dr. Sheldon Cooper loves trains. Look where it got him!!
Garfield Cat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 09:09 AM
  #24  
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker
 
ZippyThePinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Orange County, in Southern California
Posts: 1,274

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
so 5 year PLAN which means a 7 year project with assorted overruns. (naturally)
The California way. Sacramento, helping unionized workers stretch the job out so it takes as long as possible to milk that taxpayer-funded cow.

The Bullet Train to BFE is pushing towards a cost of $200 million per mile.

Originally Posted by California High Speed Rail Authority
CHSR’s 2018 Draft Budget Plan still estimates 120,000 riders per day, despite raising its estimated L.A. — San Francisco fare to $93 to stay to stay competitive with the LAX — SFO commercial airplane “base fare” of $111.66. But only 6,132 passengers a day take the 1 hour, 39 minute flight and there are lots of plan-ahead fares for as low as $25.
In the end, would I be surprised if the project stalls and never gets beyond the Fresno <--> Bakersfield section? Not at all. Sacramento pols, always wrong, never in doubt.
ZippyThePinhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-18, 10:35 AM
  #25  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,773

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
200 hundred million per mile.... holeeeeeeeeeeey cats.

It'll be awesome if you want to get to Stockton from Modesto for $485, assuming they manage to even complete that portion.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service