Notices
Southern California Southern California

Most Memorable GMR Ride(s)

Old 09-27-18, 10:46 PM
  #1  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most Memorable GMR Ride(s)

See a few cyclists here mention GMR/Baldy. Figure it would be a good thread for some of those to note there most memorable rides up GMR.

1) Flying down just below Newman's Point into a swarm of bees at 30 mph in a switchback. Bee hits forehead and immediately stings. Too fast to quick stop, stinger empties in forehead, major swelling walking around town for a few days looking like Mike Tyson beat me up.

2) Ride up at night, solo ride, eerie moon, sensing Gargantua would appear on the mountain stomping me like an ant.

Anything you guys remember about rides up GMR that might capture our attention, not that mine did!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-27-18, 11:02 PM
  #2  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 7,961

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 617 Posts
December 17, 2016. There was supposed to be a meet-up of some of the Bike Forums folks, but they had all read the weather report and got scared off by the cold. So I rode it solo. Passed 3 or 4 riders on the way up, saw a handful coming down. GMR wasn't too bad, low-40s dropping into the thirties. By the time I made GRR, it was down into the low 30s. Patches of ice on the road, hoarfrost everywhere in the ~2 miles before the drop into Baldy Village. In the shadows it got down to 27. It was staggeringly cold.

But it was also absolutely beautiful. One of my most memorable rides ever. All of those fair-weather chuckleheads missed out. I had a cinnamon roll and a piping hot chocolate at the Village, bundled myself up as best as I could and bombed back down. At the time, my coldest ride. It was fantastic.



The most memorable rides are always the ones with rough weather. I did 5 hours around Lake Mathews and up through Riverside County, got poured on for probably 4 of those hours, and it was brilliant. Rode to the rim of the Grand Canyon at Sunrise, it was 16. Would do again.
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 09-28-18, 12:17 AM
  #3  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
December 17, 2016. There was supposed to be a meet-up of some of the Bike Forums folks, but they had all read the weather report and got scared off by the cold. So I rode it solo. Passed 3 or 4 riders on the way up, saw a handful coming down. GMR wasn't too bad, low-40s dropping into the thirties. By the time I made GRR, it was down into the low 30s. Patches of ice on the road, hoarfrost everywhere in the ~2 miles before the drop into Baldy Village. In the shadows it got down to 27. It was staggeringly cold.

But it was also absolutely beautiful. One of my most memorable rides ever. All of those fair-weather chuckleheads missed out. I had a cinnamon roll and a piping hot chocolate at the Village, bundled myself up as best as I could and bombed back down. At the time, my coldest ride. It was fantastic.



The most memorable rides are always the ones with rough weather. I did 5 hours around Lake Mathews and up through Riverside County, got poured on for probably 4 of those hours, and it was brilliant. Rode to the rim of the Grand Canyon at Sunrise, it was 16. Would do again.
Nice!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 01:56 AM
  #4  
calamarichris
Horse Categorie
 
calamarichris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 6,175

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Every GMR ride has some magic to it. One of the most memorable rides for me was 2010.


I was still in the honeymoon phase with my power meter, and was making improvements every time I got on the bike. And that day I flew up the mountain like it was nothing at all, gliding past dozens of riders and none could stay with me. It was so much easier than I remember when I was a skinny 17 year old kid riding up it back in the 80s! I drove home with wild dreams of a becoming a pro rider at 40, the ultimate late-bloomer who would fly uphill riding away from an entire peloton of younger riders in their prime, and.... oh yeah, back in the 80s, I was riding up to the ski lifts with a 42-21, not a 39-25 like I had that day. Rats, haha.

The death of that hope was as poignant as the hope was for the few hours I had it.
calamarichris is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 02:18 PM
  #5  
hsuehhwa 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Huntington Harbor, CA
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1. July 4th, 2018 Ride
2. My first GMR-GRR- Village
3. My first GMR-GRR-Ski Lift
hsuehhwa is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 03:06 PM
  #6  
TGT1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SGV So Cal
Posts: 846

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was planning on making an attempt Friday on my 65th at the Baldy Ski Lifts.

There was a wind advisory with predicted gusts to 30 mph and I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

I got a 5:30 am start since I planed on taking my time. it's about 15 mi from the house to the start of GMR (Glendora Mt. Road) It became obvious that the only ones out that early on a Saturday morning are either still drunk or hung over and half asleep on their way to work. The olfactory senses can contribute to your safety. I could smell a doughnut shop a block or so before having to contend with the caffeine deprived drivers in a rush for their fix.

I passed a club gearing up for a Halloween ride at the base of the hill. The naughty nurse sag driver shouted out "do you need a nurse?". Declined the offer and headed up GMR. GMR was closed due to the holiday and fire danger. Kept it on the 32 most of the time and was dodging rocks and small bushes on the road the whole way. The wind had been blowing hard enough to uproot small bushes and even one dead tree was in the road. A CX bike with new 42 mm tires contributes a lot to confidence when there's that much crap on the road.

I got to Baldy Village a bit before 11:00 and figured I could top out by noon. That didn't happen. The last 8 miles is unrelenting and the last four are at a 400+ ft per mile grade, with one mile close to 500 ft. I started out stopping and resting after the first two switchbacks, then it was every switchback and finally twice per switchback.

After Manker Flats the grade kicks up again and I was reduced to walking the last 100 yards. I figured walking was less embarrassing than a tombay.
http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ub-tombay.html

The naughty nurse and crew were all there and this time I said

"I need a nurse!!!"

Coming down from the top to the village is a real test of the brakes. the worst part of the ride back is the grade grinding back up out of Baldy Village to GMR and intervening uphills on the way back that certainly don't feel that steep on the way up. At least the county had run a blade down the road so no rocks and debris issue and a relaxed 25mph+ coast home.

I used three small leftover brown rice balls with soy sauce for electrolytes and a king size Payday for fuel. Didn't use much of the Gatorade, but ran the 3L Camelbak dry about 4 miles from home.

80 miles, 8,280 ft 7:50 ride time (don't think the ride time is correct, more like 10 hrs)

TGT1 is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 06:07 PM
  #7  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
Every GMR ride has some magic to it. One of the most memorable rides for me was 2010.


I was still in the honeymoon phase with my power meter, and was making improvements every time I got on the bike. And that day I flew up the mountain like it was nothing at all, gliding past dozens of riders and none could stay with me. It was so much easier than I remember when I was a skinny 17 year old kid riding up it back in the 80s! I drove home with wild dreams of a becoming a pro rider at 40, the ultimate late-bloomer who would fly uphill riding away from an entire peloton of younger riders in their prime, and.... oh yeah, back in the 80s, I was riding up to the ski lifts with a 42-21, not a 39-25 like I had that day. Rats, haha.

The death of that hope was as poignant as the hope was for the few hours I had it.
Ha ha ha, I think we have all had that dream!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 06:09 PM
  #8  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa View Post
1. July 4th, 2018 Ride
2. My first GMR-GRR- Village
3. My first GMR-GRR-Ski Lift

Nice! Ski lifts are a little tough! :-p

Actually the toughest part for me was the stretch before Ice Canyon where the cabins are. I almost changed my mind there thinking the switchbacks would be more difficult but seemed to ease up imo.
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 06:13 PM
  #9  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
I was planning on making an attempt Friday on my 65th at the Baldy Ski Lifts.

There was a wind advisory with predicted gusts to 30 mph and I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

I got a 5:30 am start since I planed on taking my time. it's about 15 mi from the house to the start of GMR (Glendora Mt. Road) It became obvious that the only ones out that early on a Saturday morning are either still drunk or hung over and half asleep on their way to work. The olfactory senses can contribute to your safety. I could smell a doughnut shop a block or so before having to contend with the caffeine deprived drivers in a rush for their fix.

I passed a club gearing up for a Halloween ride at the base of the hill. The naughty nurse sag driver shouted out "do you need a nurse?". Declined the offer and headed up GMR. GMR was closed due to the holiday and fire danger. Kept it on the 32 most of the time and was dodging rocks and small bushes on the road the whole way. The wind had been blowing hard enough to uproot small bushes and even one dead tree was in the road. A CX bike with new 42 mm tires contributes a lot to confidence when there's that much crap on the road.

I got to Baldy Village a bit before 11:00 and figured I could top out by noon. That didn't happen. The last 8 miles is unrelenting and the last four are at a 400+ ft per mile grade, with one mile close to 500 ft. I started out stopping and resting after the first two switchbacks, then it was every switchback and finally twice per switchback.

After Manker Flats the grade kicks up again and I was reduced to walking the last 100 yards. I figured walking was less embarrassing than a tombay.
http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ub-tombay.html

The naughty nurse and crew were all there and this time I said

"I need a nurse!!!"

Coming down from the top to the village is a real test of the brakes. the worst part of the ride back is the grade grinding back up out of Baldy Village to GMR and intervening uphills on the way back that certainly don't feel that steep on the way up. At least the county had run a blade down the road so no rocks and debris issue and a relaxed 25mph+ coast home.

I used three small leftover brown rice balls with soy sauce for electrolytes and a king size Payday for fuel. Didn't use much of the Gatorade, but ran the 3L Camelbak dry about 4 miles from home.

80 miles, 8,280 ft 7:50 ride time (don't think the ride time is correct, more like 10 hrs)


Wow! That is a great ride. I read some stories about cyclists struggling up the hill but hey, I have invited 100 riders to ride up GMR and 95 of them won't even answer an email or text with the letters G-M-R in them.

I applaud anybody who makes the first 4 miles of GMR! I applaud anybody that attempts to ride GMR!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 07:50 PM
  #10  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,269
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 82 Times in 46 Posts
Best shape in my life, PR'd the climb up from GRR, thought I was invincible and hit all the curves and twisties at 30 mph+. Didn't see sand in the road at one of the turnouts with a decreasing radius turn and hit that turn at 25 mph. All I remember was saying "oh ****" then I woke up with a neck brace being loaded into an ambulance and driven to an LZ for a medevac.

edit: I've been back a few times since. I am a lot more liberal on the brakes now.
Elvo is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 08:08 PM
  #11  
jimincalif
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 2,253

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 56 Posts
My first time was with some of our fellow bikeforums members here. I also invited a few of my club members along. I remember speaking with two of them and when I told them I was going with some riders Id met online, they asked if Id ever met them personally. Prior to this ride I had not, so the joke was how did I know these people were legitimate riders and not ax murderers. 😀

Most of them turned out to be ok! 🙃
jimincalif is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 09:01 PM
  #12  
TGT1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SGV So Cal
Posts: 846

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I tend to ride solo and early so while the medicare ride was epic the most memorable ones have involved the fauna.

One ride I came around a corner uphill and slow to momma bobcat and her two cubs crossing the road.
We all stopped and when the kids started to come over to investigate she put an end to it and told them it was time to go.


Another was descending and rounding a curve a redtail hawk was cruising in the ridge lift parallel to the road about fifty feet away.
We swapped glances and paced each other for about a quarter mile.
TGT1 is offline  
Old 09-28-18, 11:05 PM
  #13  
JimmyNH
Dilligaf
 
JimmyNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 600

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It was in April or May of 2003 or 2004. It was a bike forum ride, but that was the forum of Bicycling magazine, not this one. Rick should remember it. I was training for the Ride Around the Bear and needed the climbing. The forecast was for high 50s and rain in the afternoon, so I decided I'll be OK. My mom was an avid mountaineer and she told me many times "Son, don't fok around with the mountain". But damn kids would rather listen to the weather service. It started cool and dry, but a couple of miles from the Cow Saddle it started raining. I reckon it was in the high 30s. We arrived at the restaurant at Baldy village frozen and wet like sharks. The restaurant wasn't supposed to be open yet, but the staff took pity of us and let us in. 15 years later I still can't thank these guys enough! We sat around the fire and when the rain stopped, we started on our way back. Of course, it started raining again, but now it was that kind of freezing rain that makes your bollocks freeze off. I was shivering so bad, I could hardly balance on my bike. I'm sure my mom was watching me from upstairs with a smile, saying "Son, I told you so". I think at one point on the last downhill, I saw Jesus, his dad and Satan drinking beer together. At that moment, I promised the three of them that if I get back to my car alive, I'll never, ever fok around with the mountain again. Well, I made it, so now if the forecasted low is under 60F or there is 0.01% chance of rain, you won't see me on GMR. Or any other mountain for that matter.
JimmyNH is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 12:11 AM
  #14  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
Best shape in my life, PR'd the climb up from GRR, thought I was invincible and hit all the curves and twisties at 30 mph+. Didn't see sand in the road at one of the turnouts with a decreasing radius turn and hit that turn at 25 mph. All I remember was saying "oh ****" then I woke up with a neck brace being loaded into an ambulance and driven to an LZ for a medevac.

edit: I've been back a few times since. I am a lot more liberal on the brakes now.

Wow, good on you! Getting back on GMR after that. Heck I have never crashed there and it can scare the poop out of me at times.
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 12:12 AM
  #15  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
My first time was with some of our fellow bikeforums members here. I also invited a few of my club members along. I remember speaking with two of them and when I told them I was going with some riders Id met online, they asked if Id ever met them personally. Prior to this ride I had not, so the joke was how did I know these people were legitimate riders and not ax murderers. 😀

Most of them turned out to be ok! 🙃

Yeah be careful with meeting online forum members. I have met a few nuts!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 12:14 AM
  #16  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
I tend to ride solo and early so while the medicare ride was epic the most memorable ones have involved the fauna.

One ride I came around a corner uphill and slow to momma bobcat and her two cubs crossing the road.
We all stopped and when the kids started to come over to investigate she put an end to it and told them it was time to go.


Another was descending and rounding a curve a redtail hawk was cruising in the ridge lift parallel to the road about fifty feet away.
We swapped glances and paced each other for about a quarter mile.

The birds amaze me! I once had a big bird follow me then swoop down toward my back as if in attack mode. Maybe trying to keep me away from a nest but those suckers can be pretty scary.
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-29-18, 12:17 AM
  #17  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyNH View Post
It was in April or May of 2003 or 2004. It was a bike forum ride, but that was the forum of Bicycling magazine, not this one. Rick should remember it. I was training for the Ride Around the Bear and needed the climbing. The forecast was for high 50s and rain in the afternoon, so I decided I'll be OK. My mom was an avid mountaineer and she told me many times "Son, don't fok around with the mountain". But damn kids would rather listen to the weather service. It started cool and dry, but a couple of miles from the Cow Saddle it started raining. I reckon it was in the high 30s. We arrived at the restaurant at Baldy village frozen and wet like sharks. The restaurant wasn't supposed to be open yet, but the staff took pity of us and let us in. 15 years later I still can't thank these guys enough! We sat around the fire and when the rain stopped, we started on our way back. Of course, it started raining again, but now it was that kind of freezing rain that makes your bollocks freeze off. I was shivering so bad, I could hardly balance on my bike. I'm sure my mom was watching me from upstairs with a smile, saying "Son, I told you so". I think at one point on the last downhill, I saw Jesus, his dad and Satan drinking beer together. At that moment, I promised the three of them that if I get back to my car alive, I'll never, ever fok around with the mountain again. Well, I made it, so now if the forecasted low is under 60F or there is 0.01% chance of rain, you won't see me on GMR. Or any other mountain for that matter.
Sounds epic, wish I had been there!
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 09-30-18, 07:36 PM
  #18  
JimmyNH
Dilligaf
 
JimmyNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 600

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling View Post
Sounds epic, wish I had been there!
Man, you're tough if you call that "epic". If I had to describe it with a single word, a few come to mind, but "epic" is not one of them.
JimmyNH is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 03:00 AM
  #19  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 4,806

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
Best shape in my life, PR'd the climb up from GRR, thought I was invincible and hit all the curves and twisties at 30 mph+. Didn't see sand in the road at one of the turnouts with a decreasing radius turn and hit that turn at 25 mph. All I remember was saying "oh ****" then I woke up with a neck brace being loaded into an ambulance and driven to an LZ for a medevac.

edit: I've been back a few times since. I am a lot more liberal on the brakes now.
rode past you that day approx 10 mins after you crashed. glad you ended up okay. there were many concerned cyclists doing their best to make sure you were taken care of.
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 03:02 AM
  #20  
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: san diego (uni/normal heights), california
Posts: 4,806

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling View Post
Yeah be careful with meeting online forum members. I have met a few nuts!
plenty of nuts but don't discount the smaller, yet substantial dried fruit contingent...
ooga-booga is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 11:08 AM
  #21  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
plenty of nuts but don't discount the smaller, yet substantial dried fruit contingent...

:d

Last edited by GuessWhoCycling; 10-01-18 at 10:34 PM.
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 12:53 PM
  #22  
tunavic
Senior Member
 
tunavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 1,118

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
A number of years ago there was a clyde GMR ride organized by former forum member Mr Beanz. I couldn't make it that day but said I would do it some day.

It was a beautiful day in March 2016 and I only intended to go to the village but got talked into riding to the ski lifts.




tunavic is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 02:31 PM
  #23  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,910

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
would have to say the first time Up I went to Baldy in Sept of 2006, I live in San Diego, was traveling to race my XC MTB at Big Bear summit. Got to the road that goes up the mt off the 215 and it was closed due to land slide or something. Start time was 70min and re route around redland up was 90 mins. So I'd miss my race start. Rather then drive straight home, I read about some crazy mt climb off azusa and 210 to I head there and parked near the houses in the flat. I didn't know where I was going, what to expect, just ride my MTB on paved for a long time. By the time I got on the 39 proper a roadie pulled along next to me. I asked for directions to baldy, he said at the bridge go right, next turn is Up and next turn is UP. OK bud see ya there HAHA. I ran out of water on GRR few miles from the saddle in no mans land. Took some poser pics and then dropped into the cafe to get lunch where I saw the roadie that gave me directions. His face seemed surprised I made it there on the MTB with knobby tires. So was I. 32 miles of climbing to get to the village, according to dandy bike computer of its era. Like WTH that is SOO much longer than Palomar Mt I'm used too!!





The other time was my first full trip to the lifts, I had tried in the past but the headwinds after the trout farm were too much for my will. 1st time to the lifts was with @tunavic he posted in 2016, crazy it took a decade to complete the summit. VERY wrong day to be on standard gearing, 53/39 and 25 cassette was HORRIBLE that last mile after the last switch back, hell the switchbacks were horrible. The previous day I had just summited Palomar Mt South grade for Good Friday holiday and than Mt Baldy on Saturday....iduno what I was thinking




Myself, @TrojanHorse @tunavic and Russell over looking GMR decent
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 06:04 PM
  #24  
TGT1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SGV So Cal
Posts: 846

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH View Post
Man, you're tough if you call that "epic". If I had to describe it with a single word, a few come to mind, but "epic" is not one of them.
I took up cycling seriously when all my climbing and mountaineering partners aged out and took up golf or also cycling.

We had our own definition of an epic:
To qualify as an epic we had to run out of coffee, Scotch, or someone got hurt or sick.

By that definition, Jimmy was "just having extra fun"

Last edited by TGT1; 10-01-18 at 06:21 PM.
TGT1 is offline  
Old 10-01-18, 10:03 PM
  #25  
JimmyNH
Dilligaf
 
JimmyNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 600

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
I took up cycling seriously when all my climbing and mountaineering partners aged out and took up golf or also cycling.
We had our own definition of an epic:
To qualify as an epic we had to run out of coffee, Scotch, or someone got hurt or sick.
By that definition, Jimmy was "just having extra fun"
Amen to that! But I was hurting badly and nearly got sick with a cold too.
Now, I agree that cycling is an old man sport, but to put it in the same category with golf is offensive.
JimmyNH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.