Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 03-14-23, 05:03 PM
  #2076  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,379

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2 View Post
I think for wide profile tires, tubeless is almost a must. The ride quality advantages are real.
This bike has 700x40c Maxxis Rambler (60 TPI Silk Shield) mounted (with tubes) on DT Swiss XR 361 Asym rims (22.5 mm internal width). I need to clean the dirt off these tires and mount them tubeless on my Roval Terra CL wheels (25 mm internal width). I had also pre-bought three 700x38c Panaracer SK tires, which I hear run wider than the nominal width. So, I just need to bite the tubeless bullet.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 03-14-23, 05:10 PM
  #2077  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,379

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday.
Welcome to the OC! I ride these two routes fairly often but do not recognize your photo above; where is that?

Useful for getting around Irvine: City_Bikeway_Map2.pdf (cityofirvine.org)
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-14-23, 05:20 PM
  #2078  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 4,579

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,340 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
Welcome to the OC! I ride these two routes fairly often but do not recognize your photo above; where is that?

Useful for getting around Irvine: City_Bikeway_Map2.pdf (cityofirvine.org)
Pic taken at yellow circle…

Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-14-23, 07:02 PM
  #2079  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
Thread Starter
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 7,811

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday...https://www.strava.com/activities/8708646373. Fantastic riding if you're solo or with a couple of friends

Sunday morning, I rode from Laguna to HB Pier and back on PCH.
orange county has a nicely developed network compared to neighboring counties.

https://www.octa.net/pdf/bike2010.pdf

happy riding! scr + live oak road are always worthy...esp when it's green. east end of scr/west end live oak road easily accessed from the dedicated bike path paralleling el toro road.
some of those laguna beach streets into the hills from pch (esp thalia, bluebird and nyes) are real, heart-pumping barnburners! a lot of good roadie stuff around laguna beach.
ooga-booga is offline  
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 03-14-23, 07:49 PM
  #2080  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,379

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Pic taken at yellow circle…
I see. I don't think I have ever ridden south past the spot marked "Start Point" on your map. Going that way means requires either (a) riding down CA-133 and along PCH, or (b) riding east on roads through intersections with multiple on ramps onto and off ramps from I-5 to get back northeast of I-5, unless I go all the way to Los Alisos Blvd.

Bring your gravel bike next time. Lots of gravel riding down here, many right alongside the MUPs (on the map I linked above), and a new one I recently discovered: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Portola Parkway North of CA-241 Toll Road
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 03-14-23, 08:06 PM
  #2081  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 4,579

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,340 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
I see. I don't think I have ever ridden south past the spot marked "Start Point" on your map. Going that way means requires either (a) riding down CA-133 and along PCH, or (b) riding east on roads through intersections with multiple on ramps onto and off ramps from I-5 to get back northeast of I-5, unless I go all the way to Los Alisos Blvd.

Bring your gravel bike next time. Lots of gravel riding down here, many right alongside the MUPs (on the map I linked above), and a new one I recently discovered: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Portola Parkway North of CA-241 Toll Road
My intent was to bring my gravel bike this time. However, my swap to 1x didn’t go as planned, and things aren’t running right. I also don’t have a place to clean my bike where I’m staying. A road bike was my best bike choice for this trip.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-15-23, 11:36 AM
  #2082  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,107

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 185 Posts
43rd bday ride though some local hills, then some coffee shops along the coast. Got to ride w/o a jacket for a change. followed by 3rd bike wash in a row, rear fender has been much needed lately....

https://www.strava.com/activities/8709445970

__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 03-15-23, 11:58 AM
  #2083  
jonathanf2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
This bike has 700x40c Maxxis Rambler (60 TPI Silk Shield) mounted (with tubes) on DT Swiss XR 361 Asym rims (22.5 mm internal width). I need to clean the dirt off these tires and mount them tubeless on my Roval Terra CL wheels (25 mm internal width). I had also pre-bought three 700x38c Panaracer SK tires, which I hear run wider than the nominal width. So, I just need to bite the tubeless bullet.
The difference in suppleness and handling is very noticeable. On my Gravelking tires, I can feel the tires really grab on hard cornering and the bumps are much more muted. I also notice less tire wear since the treads can contour better with the road. Also wider profile tires are so much easier to mount and the lower air pressure is more forgiving on your tubeless tape setup.
jonathanf2 is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:45 AM
  #2084  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,379

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2 View Post
The difference in suppleness and handling is very noticeable. On my Gravelking tires, I can feel the tires really grab on hard cornering and the bumps are much more muted. I also notice less tire wear since the treads can contour better with the road. Also wider profile tires are so much easier to mount and the lower air pressure is more forgiving on your tubeless tape setup.
Thanks. Are you suggesting that (A) I should just stop procrastinating and setup tubeless ASAP, or (B) to also ditch my current (low TPI) Maxxis Ramblers and just install the Gravelking SK?
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 09:53 AM
  #2085  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,379

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday...https://www.strava.com/activities/8708646373. Fantastic riding if you're solo or with a couple of friends.

Sunday morning, I rode from Laguna to HB Pier and back on PCH.
Road closures at both Dana Point and Huntington Beach: PCH Shut Down By Flooding And A Landslide In Orange County | Laguna Niguel, CA Patch

Not along the routes you took but watch out for heavy construction vehicles.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 12:46 PM
  #2086  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 4,579

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,340 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
Road closures at both Dana Point and Huntington Beach: PCH Shut Down By Flooding And A Landslide In Orange County | Laguna Niguel, CA Patch

Not along the routes you took but watch out for heavy construction vehicles.
Luckily, my riding on PCH has been between those issues.
Eric F is offline  
Old 03-16-23, 08:56 PM
  #2087  
jonathanf2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
Thanks. Are you suggesting that (A) I should just stop procrastinating and setup tubeless ASAP, or (B) to also ditch my current (low TPI) Maxxis Ramblers and just install the Gravelking SK?
More like option A! I have no experience with the Ramblers, but I'm sure the tubeless advantages would translate over to those tires as well!
jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 03-20-23, 12:29 AM
  #2088  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,107

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 185 Posts
Solvang double hundo! solo, started at the 6:30am wave so I can sleep in a bit longer. Went to bed at 1am.....

Bike setup, new Soloist, new saddle was going to be tested, rapha/apidura rear saddle bag to handle spares and clothing changes. 34* until like 9am when I spit out of the canyon into the strawberry fields. A$$ savers rear chain stay fender (kept the butt dry and kit clean), Magicshine rear light 200L, and 3up XPG 1800L up front with samsung cell 10k mAh battery to last the full day

0 flat tires!! YAY and I'm running tubed 28c Rubino Pros

crank BB was squeaky from those rain rides
Carbon enve saddle started creaking bad on the very bumpy and pot holed Santa Rosa Rd last 20miles. I'm gonna have to check for damage, add some lube if needed and re tq, Iduno what to do..,..I don't have any other 10+ hr rides to test the saddle endurance any time soon

Most of the ride I was solo since the late start had me behind the masses.


https://www.strava.com/activities/8738526439







__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 03-21-23, 11:13 AM
  #2089  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 4,579

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2017 Bear Big Rock 1, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 4,340 Times in 2,065 Posts
Saturday...After sorting out the 1x swap issues on my gravel bike Friday afternoon, I headed out Saturday afternoon for a shake-down ride on the new parts. My rear tire was oddly low before I rolled out. I pumped it up and didn't think much about it until about 10 minutes out when it started being noticeably soft. Damn. I hustled home and got there with just enough air left to keep from damaging the rim. I did a quick swap to my MTB and headed out for some climbing up to the top of Brown Mtn Road. The conditions were pretty rough in sections from rain-exposed rocks, particularly on the lower sections of the climb. My legs felt pretty dead from my OC road rides over the previous week, and my time on the climb reflected how I felt - slow. It was good to be out in the dirt on a warm day, though.


Sunday...I had intended to join one of the local morning group road rides, but the forecast of light rain talked me out of it, and I curled up with my pups on the couch for some more sleep. It didn't actually start raining until after 12, and I was pretty irritated with myself for not riding. I did an afternoon trainer session in the garage as penance for my poor judgement.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.