Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Spitting and Snotting Etiquette

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Spitting and Snotting Etiquette

Old 11-20-22, 07:52 PM
  #1  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Spitting and Snotting Etiquette

If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-20-22, 08:05 PM
  #2  
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 4,825

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 527 Posts
Did he at least apologize profusely and offer to buy you six tires of your choice? You would absolutely been within reason to tell him (and it's always a "him" that does things like this) in no uncertain terms that he was no longer welcome in the group. Someone that careless with his snot rockets on a group ride will do other careless crap on a group ride, and someone will get hurt, perhaps badly. At most, he gets one - and I stress "one" - stern warning. If he does it again, or if he does anything dangerous, he's out. Period.

And if your group did not back you up, you should think about finding another group
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 11-20-22, 08:10 PM
  #3  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer;[url=tel:22716654
22716654[/url]]Did he at least apologize profusely and offer to buy you six tires of your choice? You would absolutely been within reason to tell him (and it's always a "him" that does things like this) in no uncertain terms that he was no longer welcome in the group. Someone that careless with his snot rockets on a group ride will do other careless crap on a group ride, and someone will get hurt, perhaps badly. At most, he gets one - and I stress "one" - stern warning. If he does it again, or if he does anything dangerous, he's out. Period.

And if your group did not back you up, you should think about finding another group
he was not in our group—he took an opportunity to get a draft when we had slowed. I told him it’s not cool to do that as well as what he should’ve done. His reply was “what?” A few around him gave him grief and we then dropped him.
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-21-22, 03:45 AM
  #4  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 7,754

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,406 Posts
there's a reason i very rarely ride with groups but it's based on inattentive riders not being able to keep the rubber side down. add one more reason to the list.
ooga-booga is offline  
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 11-22-22, 02:55 PM
  #5  
jonathanf2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme View Post
If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
If I'm in a group ride, I always pull off to the side to spit or blow out a nose projectile. Also it's best to spit downwards to avoid any mucus mist.
jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-28-22, 09:26 AM
  #6  
Nachoman
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 15,382

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2 View Post
If I'm in a group ride, I always pull off to the side to spit or blow out a nose projectile. Also it's best to spit downwards to avoid any mucus mist.
Move to the side AND back. Some guys that pull to the side don't understand cross winds.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 12-04-22, 04:01 PM
  #7  
JimmyNH
Dilligaf
 
JimmyNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 613

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme View Post
If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
Hey Bikeme, is this the azzhole in question?


I've been group riding since 1993 and I've never had an issue like this. I guess, you bumped into a rare idiot. Wise man said "Do not assume malice for what stupidity can explain". Anyway, I reckon you got the best revenge by dropping the moron.
JimmyNH is offline  
Likes For JimmyNH:
Old 12-05-22, 05:25 AM
  #8  
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!
 
ooga-booga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 7,754

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH View Post
Hey Bikeme, is this the azzhole in question?


I've been group riding since 1993 and I've never had an issue like this. I guess, you bumped into a rare idiot. Wise man said "Do not assume malice for what stupidity can explain". Anyway, I reckon you got the best revenge by dropping the moron.
haha jimmy vibes!
ooga-booga is offline  
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 12-05-22, 07:23 AM
  #9  
Chuck Naill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: US
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme View Post
If you need to expel, please pull far off to the side or drop off the back of the group before discharging your mucus!

On my group ride yesterday, some fat wannabe in a red Cofidis kit slid into our pack. I ended up behind him as he farmer hankied right in front of me, spraying my face with his germ-infested sinus mist. What an ass!
You are riding in a group and whether you realize it or not, sharing.
Chuck Naill is offline  
Old 12-05-22, 11:50 AM
  #10  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH View Post
Hey Bikeme, is this the azzhole in question?


I've been group riding since 1993 and I've never had an issue like this. I guess, you bumped into a rare idiot. Wise man said "Do not assume malice for what stupidity can explain". Anyway, I reckon you got the best revenge by dropping the moron.
I'm not 100% sure but that guy is definitely in the same genre. I don't recall a mullet but I he did have a helmet on.
bikeme is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.