Notices
Southern California Southern California

Road Bike Rental in LA

Old 04-12-24, 09:42 AM
  #1  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Road Bike Rental in LA

We are visiting LA in May and I am looking to rent a road bike for a week.

It need not be too fancy, aluminum frame and 105 or even Tiagra level components are ok with me.

On our last visit we stayed near Santa Monica and I was able to find a rental there. I would consider using the same shop, but this time we are staying near downtown so going all the way to Santa Monica to get the bike and then again to return it would be a bit time consuming (we donít rent a car, we take public transportation or rarely splurge on an Uber).

Any suggestions on a shop that might be closer to downtown for a one week rental??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 09:55 AM
  #2  
I am potato.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,152

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 957 Posts
I was in Los Angeles last Autumn for 3 weeks. I called and stopped into every bike shop I could Google. The universal answer was: "No. But, we can sell you a bike." When I said that it'd just be easier to rent a bike from them than buy a bike and return it, the response was cordial but still: "No."

So I looked at the various second hand sports equipment and consignment shops like Play It Again Sports and didn't find anything worth the asking price...even for a temporary beater.

I then sought out the local bike kitchens and Co-Ops. There were very few. The ones I did find were only open for a couple of hours per week and even then never at a time that I had available.

Nothing Los Angeles and bicycle ever lined up the entire 3 weeks I was there. They do have Lime bikes for the beach front if that's your jam, tho.
__________________
I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.

Car dependency is a tax.
base2 is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 10:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Caliwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 299 Posts
Around the Cycle is near downtown LA and rents bike. They're great folks too...

https://aroundthecycle.com/pages/rent
Caliwild is online now  
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 04-12-24, 10:36 AM
  #4  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,135

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,290 Times in 3,917 Posts
A friend of mine rented a pretty nice road bike from Incycle (Pasadena) a couple of years ago. Metro Gold Line will take you from DTLA to Pasadena very close to the shop (Del Mar station).
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-12-24, 10:46 AM
  #5  
Thread derailleur
 
roadcrankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 667

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 274 Posts
If you ride a 52, I can let you borrow my Ultegra-equipped 11sp rainbike for no charge. I live thirty miles east of downtown LA.
The fenders come off quickly. PM me if interested. Let me see if I can find a handy photo.


Found it. Just after building it in '16. Shod with fenders now, which come off easy enough. Probably a good time for me to swap out the 23's for something bigger.
roadcrankr is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 10:51 AM
  #6  
Thread derailleur
 
roadcrankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 667

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
A friend of mine rented a pretty nice road bike from Incycle (Pasadena) a couple of years ago. Metro Gold Line will take you from DTLA to Pasadena very close to the shop (Del Mar station).
All very true and a great angle. If mine works for you, it would mean taking that same train to the end-of-the-line at Citrus College and meeting there. Incidentally, Metro altered the train line labels, making the former gold line into the A line.
roadcrankr is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 10:58 AM
  #7  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
If you ride a 52, I can let you borrow my Ultegra-equipped 11sp rainbike for no charge. I live thirty miles east of downtown LA.
The fenders come off quickly. PM me if interested. Let me see if I can find a handy photo.


Found it. Just after building it in '16. Shod with fenders now, which come off easy enough. Probably a good time for me to swap out the 23's for something bigger.
Thanks for the offer. But I ride a 58 or 59.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 11:00 AM
  #8  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,135

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,290 Times in 3,917 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Metro altered the train line labels, making the former gold line into the A line.
Thanks for the update. It's been a long time since I used the train, and didn't notice a signage change.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 11:45 AM
  #9  
Thread derailleur
 
roadcrankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 667

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Thanks for the update. It's been a long time since I used the train, and didn't notice a signage change.
Other than Incycle's solid reputation, it gives the OP two opportunities, right off the bat, to ride in our excellent San Gabriel Valley area.
On the other hand, one can easily take the bike on the inexpensive train system for a dropoff to superior cycling locales.
roadcrankr is offline  
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-12-24, 11:53 AM
  #10  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,135

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,290 Times in 3,917 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Other than Incycle's solid reputation, it gives the OP two opportunities, right off the bat, to ride in our excellent San Gabriel Valley area.
On the other hand, one can easily take the bike on the inexpensive train system for a dropoff to superior cycling locales.

IIRC, on a previous trip to CA, datlas stayed in Pasadena, and had a bike available to ride. He's not a total newbie to our 'hood.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 01:45 PM
  #11  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
IIRC, on a previous trip to CA, datlas stayed in Pasadena, and had a bike available to ride. He's not a total newbie to our 'hood.
True. I borrowed a friend of a friendís bike but that has drawbacks so I want to rent.

My hope is to ride up Mt Baldy, in addition to other adventures. Last time Baldy was icy so I had to settle for Mt Wilson.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 01:47 PM
  #12  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Since we are staying in downtown I had hoped to source a rental there. It seems that is not likely based on my search so far.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 01:53 PM
  #13  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,135

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,290 Times in 3,917 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Since we are staying in downtown I had hoped to source a rental there. It seems that is not likely based on my search so far.
I'm not super familiar with all the options in the DTLA area, but it's my impression that the kind of bike shop and rental situation you're looking for probably doesn't exist, and you will need to venture elsewhere.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 04-12-24, 02:20 PM
  #14  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not super familiar with all the options in the DTLA area, but it's my impression that the kind of bike shop and rental situation you're looking for probably doesn't exist, and you will need to venture elsewhere.
Seems that way. Looks like best bets are either Santa Monica (easier to downtown) or Pasadena.

Luckily both are reachable by public transit.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-12-24, 03:59 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 448 Posts
Off the top of my head, your best bet would be to call Spokes near the LA River which isn't that far if you stick to the side streets. You'd probably have to get an Uber or Lyft, but from that location you can ride up and down the LA River which connects to Griffith Park. They have two 8 speed road bikes to rent, but I'm not sure what sizes they have.

https://www.spokebicyclecafe.com/bicycle-rentals

You can also try calling Spokes N Stuff which is the bike rental spot in Griffith Park. I know the owner is a hardcore roadie, because he helps host a morning road ride on Sunday up La Tuna Canyon and back. Also, I'm not sure if he has road bikes to rent, but give him a call.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/spokes-n-stuff-los-angeles-3
jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 04-12-24, 04:18 PM
  #16  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Off the top of my head, your best bet would be to call Spokes near the LA River which isn't that far if you stick to the side streets. You'd probably have to get an Uber or Lyft, but from that location you can ride up and down the LA River which connects to Griffith Park. They have two 8 speed road bikes to rent, but I'm not sure what sizes they have.

https://www.spokebicyclecafe.com/bicycle-rentals

You can also try calling Spokes N Stuff which is the bike rental spot in Griffith Park. I know the owner is a hardcore roadie, because he helps host a morning road ride on Sunday up La Tuna Canyon and back. Also, I'm not sure if he has road bikes to rent, but give him a call.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/spokes-n-stuff-los-angeles-3
Thanks. Will consider, but I am looking for a rental for a week abd website says no overnight rentals.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 02:15 AM
  #17  
velo-dilettante
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,357

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
yeah, dtla is tuff. pasadena should have options but maybe slightly closer to dtla like glendale, eagle rock. atwater village or frogtown possibilities...or potentially culver city.

haven't used it and would require signing up/$$ and farther away than you want but the rental would likely be better than anything else you come across...

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/rcc/bike-hire

if you were in san diego for a week, i'd slip you a 58 or 59 carbon-fiber or steel for a week-no charge. a bit far away tho.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-13-24 at 02:25 AM.
diphthong is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 06:12 AM
  #18  
Should Be More Popular
Thread Starter
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,167

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22689 Post(s)
Liked 9,032 Times in 4,202 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
yeah, dtla is tuff. pasadena should have options but maybe slightly closer to dtla like glendale, eagle rock. atwater village or frogtown possibilities...or potentially culver city.

haven't used it and would require signing up/$$ and farther away than you want but the rental would likely be better than anything else you come across...

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/rcc/bike-hire

if you were in san diego for a week, i'd slip you a 58 or 59 carbon-fiber or steel for a week-no charge. a bit far away tho.
Thanks for the offer. Aware of Rapha but they limit rental to 3 days and I want a week.

I am sure I will find a rental, but looks like Santa Monica or Pasadena are best, unless there is a secret road bike rental option somewhere near downtown. Itís a first world problem, for sure.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 07:52 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 4,206

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 725 Posts
datlas

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/trek-bike-rentals/

https://www.helenscycles.com/article...tals-pg271.htm

https://justridela.com/bike-rental/
__________________
2015 Bianchi Intenso






Last edited by malcala622; 04-13-24 at 08:47 AM.
malcala622 is online now  
Old 04-13-24, 11:00 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,755

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 376 Posts
That sounds like it could get really expensive really fast, more than a car rental.
zacster is offline  
Old 04-13-24, 11:11 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 4,542

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,072 Posts
If you are going to need the bikes for more then a few days you might want to consider a box store bike. Of course ya might want ta take a few tools to give it a tune up, but it might just work...



Walmart LA... 700c 21 Speed Steel Assembled
__________________
No matter where you're at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is online now  
Old 04-13-24, 01:56 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 7,755

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 376 Posts
That'll be a lot cheaper than a rental. And the OP already stated it didn't need to be a high-end bike. You could buy that and give it to someone on the way out, or just leave it unlocked. It'll get "stolen" quickly enough.

I've done the Metro from Santa Monica to DTLA, Hollywood and back, and all I can say is YUCK. There were so many druggies and homeless on it. As a New Yorker I ride the subway here all the time and never encounter that many.
zacster is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.