Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Doh! Bent my first mtb rim today :(

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Doh! Bent my first mtb rim today :(

Old 12-30-06, 07:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 53

Bikes: Trek 5000 Roadie, Trek 4500 MTB

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doh! Bent my first mtb rim today :(

I went out riding through El Moro Canyon today, as someone suggested to me a while back in the introduction thread. Had a great time, and I can't believe I didn't get out there sooner!

Unfortunately, on my way back to the parking lot, There was a pretty hefty rock in the middle of the path. I saw it in time to miss it with my front tire, but I nailed it with my rear wheel. The rim is still technically ridable. I did manage to ride it back to my car, but the rim is rubbing the brake pad once every revolution.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? Right now it's the stock Bontrager rim that came with my Trek 4500. After some of those down hills today, I'm also seriously considering upgrading to disc brakes at some point in the near future, so I'd like a rim that can do both pads and be able to upgrade them to disc later. I'm not sure what the rim circumference is (sorry, I'm a newb), but the tires are 26" x 2.1".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-grant
grumbles is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 08:01 PM
  #2  
Technically Canadian
 
Neccros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 829

Bikes: Spec. Enduro/Santa Cruz Chameleon/Franken Road Bike w/ Dura-Ace+Ultegra

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does the wheel "hop" or is it more of a side to side movement when viewed from above?? sounds like it might just need to be trued
__________________
Cant we all just ride along???
Neccros is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 08:02 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grumbles
I went out riding through El Moro Canyon today, as someone suggested to me a while back in the introduction thread. Had a great time, and I can't believe I didn't get out there sooner!

Unfortunately, on my way back to the parking lot, There was a pretty hefty rock in the middle of the path. I saw it in time to miss it with my front tire, but I nailed it with my rear wheel. The rim is still technically ridable. I did manage to ride it back to my car, but the rim is rubbing the brake pad once every revolution.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? Right now it's the stock Bontrager rim that came with my Trek 4500. After some of those down hills today, I'm also seriously considering upgrading to disc brakes at some point in the near future, so I'd like a rim that can do both pads and be able to upgrade them to disc later. I'm not sure what the rim circumference is (sorry, I'm a newb), but the tires are 26" x 2.1".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-grant

Check out Colorado cyclist.com they have great prices. If ya go gor the Mavic 819 it is a very sturdy wheel. Or a 721, but see what they have for rim brakes.
BigSean is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 09:08 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 53

Bikes: Trek 5000 Roadie, Trek 4500 MTB

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neccros
does the wheel "hop" or is it more of a side to side movement when viewed from above?? sounds like it might just need to be trued
It's moving side to side at one point on the rim.
grumbles is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 09:33 PM
  #5  
You know you want to.
 
Eatadonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,894

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just a little out of true, it sounds like. First, make sure your wheel is straight in the dropouts, then..true it. Search around for info on truing, or go talk to your LBS about it - they should do it for you cheap, or at least help you do it yourself. I recommend that if you're going to continue mountain biking you learn how to do at least basic truing of a wheel - it's not terribly difficult, and you're going to keep knocking wheels around!
__________________
Weather today: Hot. Humid. Potholes.
Eatadonut is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 10:20 PM
  #6  
Technically Canadian
 
Neccros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 829

Bikes: Spec. Enduro/Santa Cruz Chameleon/Franken Road Bike w/ Dura-Ace+Ultegra

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it to The Path in Tustin..... best MTB shop around.... they are great at wheel building. I just had a set built by them and they can true your wheel no problem.... talk to Tani or Karl
__________________
Cant we all just ride along???
Neccros is offline  
Old 12-30-06, 11:24 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 53

Bikes: Trek 5000 Roadie, Trek 4500 MTB

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, all!
grumbles is offline  
Old 12-31-06, 05:45 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

Bikes: 06 Kona Caldera

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neccros
Take it to The Path in Tustin..... best MTB shop around.... they are great at wheel building. I just had a set built by them and they can true your wheel no problem.... talk to Tani or Karl
Agreed. That's the only place I shop.
Lovin is offline  
Old 12-31-06, 05:48 PM
  #9  
Game on!
 
Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 1,204

Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovin
Agreed. That's the only place I shop.
What up Randy? Great to see you!
Gretzky is offline  
Old 12-31-06, 05:49 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

Bikes: 06 Kona Caldera

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretzky
What up Randy? Great to see you!
Nada, I'm digging this "time-off" stuff.........I got to ride twice this weekend, so far.
Lovin is offline  
Old 12-31-06, 06:20 PM
  #11  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,215

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 935 Times in 282 Posts
If you're not looking for light weight stuff, I'd suggest these and they are built like a tank but weigh a lil less then them too. Not to mention you get the pair for $100 or less and with the disc hubs already. they are great for all the Socal rock beating our bikes takes.

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/132...-Lite-Rims.htm

For disc brakes I suggest Avids BB7's

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12605-115_AVDMD3-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB7-Disc-Brake---Mechanical-160mm-'06.htm

if you want matching larger ones.
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15076-115_AVDBB6-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB7-Disc-Brake---Mechanical-185-203mm-'06.htm

or just cheaper but larger

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13298-115_AVDMB3-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB7-Disc-Brake---203mm-'05.htm

If you're more then 170ish lbs, I'd recommend 8" (200mm) brakes for the fronts then the normal 160mm on the rear. Larger rotors allows for better braking power and easier hand/power modulation of the brakes.

Hayes makes good brakes and came a long way from their other designs that didn't work as good as the Avids, the BB7 design is superier for the $$. Hydro brakes are great if you have the $$$ to spend on them, ONE brake will cost more then a complete set of Avid BB7's.

$220 bucks + tax and shipping (if you don't pick it up) is about $250ish for the complete upgrade w/ geat rims and both sets of BB7's
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 12-31-06, 09:18 PM
  #12  
Technically Canadian
 
Neccros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 829

Bikes: Spec. Enduro/Santa Cruz Chameleon/Franken Road Bike w/ Dura-Ace+Ultegra

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'd recommend 8" (200mm) brakes for the fronts then the normal 160mm on the rear.
Its not wise to run 8" rotors in front if you have quick releases... It stresses the tabs and the caliper mounts and could crack them.

Its best to use a 20mm axle if your gonna use 8" rotors
__________________
Cant we all just ride along???
Neccros is offline  
Old 01-02-07, 04:34 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 53

Bikes: Trek 5000 Roadie, Trek 4500 MTB

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all the info on rims & disc brakes. I should be picking some up in the next month or so, I hope (even though it'll side track my savings for my roadie). I got the rear wheel into my LBS today and he's fixing it on up for me.

-grant
grumbles is offline  
Old 01-02-07, 05:37 PM
  #14  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,215

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 935 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Neccros
Its not wise to run 8" rotors in front if you have quick releases... It stresses the tabs and the caliper mounts and could crack them.

Its best to use a 20mm axle if your gonna use 8" rotors
must be a CHEAP fork if that happened, I've been running Marz MX Comp ETA ($200 fork) for a yr w/ the 200mm fronts and no prob what so ever, and people that have ridden w/ me know I'm not scared to go fast on the DH. One reason I'm not scared cuz I have great braking power when needed.

The bike we built for Billy, had 200mm brakes on it when I was racing it down big Bear. I was in speeds close to 50mph on the fire roads, again cuz I had GREAT stopping power. And that was an cheap OEM RST fork on a $330 bike. The brakes I put on that bike cost 1/2 as much as the entire bike!!

If I have 20mm thru axles, I'd prolly run 250mm (10") rotors cuz then that would be a serious DH or Trail bike.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.