Notices
Southern California Southern California

Persiverence pays

Old 03-17-07, 03:45 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Persiverence pays

So I had planned on getting in a 80 to 100mile ride today. I set off from home and took my time warming up in the cool morning fog. About 4 miles in I encountered some rollers that I normally am not phased by at all. Well today was different. I had no power in the legs at all. I was fine on the flats, even carrying a 26 mph speed for better then 4 miles at one point, but once the road turned up, even at a 2% GRADE my legs just gave in. I decided to keep going anyway, the legs were gonna suffer if they didnt want to cooperate. So suffer they did. I decided that I would do the first big climb and then decide which way to go. Well, I started the climb slowly and settled in to a good pace, much slower then normal but i was still passing alot of riders. Anyway, I got to the top and decided that I was gonna cut the ride down to a metric and head towards home. Turns out that still included alot of climbing. It was slow going, bt I did the route to the best of my ability today. I still did almost 6000ft of climbing. I felt horriable today, but continued anyway. Im convinced I will gain from the pain. here's a link to my usually easy but todays painful ride. The moral of the story, keep pedaling and you'll get there.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2262664
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 04:32 PM
  #2  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
The moral of the story, keep pedaling and you'll get there.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 06:06 PM
  #3  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
So I had planned on getting in a 80 to 100mile ride today. I set off from home and took my time warming up in the cool morning fog. About 4 miles in I encountered some rollers that I normally am not phased by at all. Well today was different. I had no power in the legs at all. I was fine on the flats, even carrying a 26 mph speed for better then 4 miles at one point, but once the road turned up, even at a 2% GRADE my legs just gave in. I decided to keep going anyway, the legs were gonna suffer if they didnt want to cooperate. So suffer they did. I decided that I would do the first big climb and then decide which way to go. Well, I started the climb slowly and settled in to a good pace, much slower then normal but i was still passing alot of riders. Anyway, I got to the top and decided that I was gonna cut the ride down to a metric and head towards home. Turns out that still included alot of climbing. It was slow going, bt I did the route to the best of my ability today. I still did almost 6000ft of climbing. I felt horriable today, but continued anyway. Im convinced I will gain from the pain. here's a link to my usually easy but todays painful ride. The moral of the story, keep pedaling and you'll get there.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2262664

Good job..way to go...
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 06:14 PM
  #4  
...
 
Tiffanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,513

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
but once the road turned up, even at a 2% GRADE my legs just gave in.
I would've been turning back to home at this point.
Good job for pushing through!
Tiffanie is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 08:23 PM
  #5  
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,895

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice ride Big Guy! Was it hot? I rode up Baldy Rd yesterday,thinking I was going a bit further than my usual weekday ride. Once I got to my usual turnaround point, I was fried. On the way down, I saw another rider struggling bit time up the mtn. I felt a lil better thinking that maybe everybody was having a tough time due to the heat.
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 10:16 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Nice ride Big Guy! Was it hot? I rode up Baldy Rd yesterday,thinking I was going a bit further than my usual weekday ride. Once I got to my usual turnaround point, I was fried. On the way down, I saw another rider struggling bit time up the mtn. I felt a lil better thinking that maybe everybody was having a tough time due to the heat.

Not hot, actually we had fog and perfect climbing weather. My legs are just toasted from the gym.
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-17-07, 10:17 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiffanie
I would've been turning back to home at this point.
Good job for pushing through!

I refuse to head home till I feel like I did something.
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-18-07, 06:31 PM
  #8  
okay, maybe...
 
tprevost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA
Posts: 3,714
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigSean
I refuse to head home till I feel like I did something.
Well done Sean! Great ride
tprevost is offline  
Old 03-18-07, 06:44 PM
  #9  
fart knocker
 
Oleanshoebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: laying back in the cut
Posts: 1,818

Bikes: Red silver blue, doodie caca poo.

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are an animal, sean. muchos kudos
__________________
Oleanshoebox is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 03:28 PM
  #10  
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 6,948
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sean...I thought about you and this thread today while I was riding. I started off horribly and quickly in my head, my big plans got smaller and smaller. I just wasn't feeling great out there today, I was bored and the self talk started..."well, if I head back now, at least I will have gotten XYZ miles in, which is more than nothing." I realized why I was feeling badly and decided to press on...in part because this thread was so fresh in my mind. For the record, my issues were lack of energy (I had a very small breakfast three hours before my ride and brought nothing with me to fuel with) and heading out having no specific route in mind...I never do well winging it, I do much better if I pedal my ass to a point where I just have to come back...lol, and boredom...I hate riding Back Bay as a destination. It's fine at the end of a ride, but my plan to loop it several times just wasn't working.

Not even fully looping Back Bay, I turned up San Joaquin Hills...ahh...a road I've descended many, many times but never climbed! I knew that there was a gas station a block from Back Bay, so I planned to stop and grab a Payday. I felt instantly better...took care of the energy issue and the boredom issue since I was now on a road I'd never climbed! Of course, I get to the top and think..."well, if I head back now, at least I will have gotten XYZ miles in, plus some unanticipated climbing, which is more than nothing." As I descended Newport Coast toward PCH, I kept hearing the same thing...right until the last stop light where I thought..."what would George tell me?"...it was at that point that I heard myself saying "well, you could head back on PCH now, OR you could climb Newport Coast, WHICH WILL MAKE YOU STRONGER!" My bike veered into the left turn lane (I swear I had no control of it ) where I made a u-turn, and started climbing. I almost always hit NC in my granny gear, or drop into it shortly into the climb. Not this time...and I was keeping my speeds up to a point that I normally don't see. I felt great and was climbing NC better than I ever had. I got to the light and thought..."well, I just had a great climb, I could end on a good note and just head back..." and played that tune the whole descent down. For some reason at the bottom, again I thought "what would George tell me to do?" and the only answer I could come up with was "you have PLENTY of time! Get your ass up that hill again!" So once again, my bike veered across the lanes of traffic and I made the u-turn...this time I climbed more slowly, but still stronger than normal. I felt GREAT! After struggling all day with the little voices telling me that I could turn back for one reason or another, I felt amazing knowing that I truly used that block of time that I set aside to train, and that despite a crappy start to the ride, I pulled it together and turned it into a ride with almost 2000 feet of climbing when I set out to do none today.

So, there it is...my longwinded reply...thanks for posting this thread Sean. It was definitely there with me today as I struggled with myself!
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling

Last edited by Brandy; 03-19-07 at 03:40 PM.
Brandy is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 03:37 PM
  #11  
Out of Commission
 
OC Roadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,272

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
/\
Nice job Brandy. Where was the demented little voice that tells you to make the right turn on Vista Ridge
__________________
If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, then come sit next to me.
OC Roadie is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 03:38 PM
  #12  
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 6,948
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
/\
Nice job Brandy. Where was the demented little voice that tells you to make the right turn on Vista Ridge
Thanks Pat...the demented voice was hushed by the clock that told me I was going to have to pay the late fee if I didn't get back to pick Marcellus up from preschool on time! Don't think that he wasn't there though.
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 03:39 PM
  #13  
Queen of France
 
Indolent58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And now for something completely different -




Back to our regularly scheduled inspirational claptrap
Indolent58 is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 09:34 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Thanks Pat...the demented voice was hushed by the clock that told me I was going to have to pay the late fee if I didn't get back to pick Marcellus up from preschool on time! Don't think that he wasn't there though.

Doesnt sound like you suffered enough, go back for more.
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 09:36 PM
  #15  
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 6,948
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
Doesnt sound like you suffered enough, go back for more.
Hey you! I have big plans this week...Spinning tomorrow, ride on Wednesday, Thursday??, Friday...my presence has been requested at a club ride on Saturday and then the BA Preview on Sunday. My legs need to be babied right now.
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:03 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandy
Hey you! I have big plans this week...Spinning tomorrow, ride on Wednesday, Thursday??, Friday...my presence has been requested at a club ride on Saturday and then the BA Preview on Sunday. My legs need to be babied right now.

There is no time for babying, punishment is the way to go. By the way, Imm still sore from saturday.
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:04 PM
  #17  
Queen of France
 
Indolent58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,799

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my own little story - I got home from work today and hopped on the bike for some local climbing. Not feeling like doing Torrey Pines again, I decided to try a new route up to Mt Soledad - Hillside Drive. A nice steep climb, but about half way up I discovered that Hillside doesn't actually go all the way up to the top. It turns into a poorly maintained walking path with broken asphalt. I ended up diverting over to the upper part of Via Capri - the 17-18% part that supposedly made jschen puke.

I have done this hill once before with great discomfort, but today as the front wheel hopped and the back wheel slipped as I winched up the hill fairly near to the top I started to have bad flashbacks to my recent bone-breaking stall out at Aliso Wood. I have actually had recent nightmares about stalling out while clipped in on hills and tumbling down.

So as I was freaking a bit I asked myself - "What would Big Sean think that Brandy would think that George would say?" Unfortunately as you might expect, things get garbled when told 3rd-hand, so it came out something like " Average sprint! Drinking leg!" which didn't help at all. After that fizzled , I had a much more vivid vision of the evil clown from Extort's 4th birthday party saying -

Boo! Buahahahah! Come here little boy and say hello to Mr. Spanky!!

I took this as a sign that I should turn back, which I did. After descending I dropped down to La Jolla Shores and headed up Calle de Oro to the top , back down and then up the La Jolla Shores Dr hill to UCSD both on my middle chainring. Overall 1450ft of climbing in 12.3 miles. So overall I feel pretty good about my ride despite the somewhat embarassing clown incident.
Indolent58 is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:06 PM
  #18  
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 6,948
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
There is no time for babying, punishment is the way to go. By the way, Imm still sore from saturday.
My goal this week is mileage without soreness. There will be plenty of that after Sunday, I'm sure of that!!!
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:10 PM
  #19  
...
 
Brandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 6,948
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indolent58
So as I was freaking a bit I asked myself - "What would Big Sean think that Brandy would think that George would say?" Unfortunately as you might expect, things get garbled when told 3rd-hand, so it came out something like " Average sprint! Drinking leg!" which didn't help at all.
__________________
Brandy

Wheels Rolling
Brandy is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:13 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indolent58
For my own little story - I got home from work today and hopped on the bike for some local climbing. Not feeling like doing Torrey Pines again, I decided to try a new route up to Mt Soledad - Hillside Drive. A nice steep climb, but about half way up I discovered that Hillside doesn't actually go all the way up to the top. It turns into a poorly maintained walking path with broken asphalt. I ended up diverting over to the upper part of Via Capri - the 17-18% part that supposedly made jschen puke.

I have done this hill once before with great discomfort, but today as the front wheel hopped and the back wheel slipped as I winched up the hill fairly near to the top I started to have bad flashbacks to my recent bone-breaking stall out at Aliso Wood. I have actually had recent nightmares about stalling out while clipped in on hills and tumbling down.

So as I was freaking a bit I asked myself - "What would Big Sean think that Brandy would think that George would say?" Unfortunately as you might expect, things get garbled when told 3rd-hand, so it came out something like " Average sprint! Drinking leg!" which didn't help at all. After that fizzled , I had a much more vivid vision of the evil clown from Extort's 4th birthday party saying -

Boo! Buahahahah! Come here little boy and say hello to Mr. Spanky!!

I took this as a sign that I should turn back, which I did. After descending I dropped down to La Jolla Shores and headed up Calle de Oro to the top , back down and then up the La Jolla Shores Dr hill to UCSD both on my middle chainring. Overall 1450ft of climbing in 12.3 miles. So overall I feel pretty good about my ride despite the somewhat embarassing clown incident.

BigSean is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:23 PM
  #21  
...
 
Tiffanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,513

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indolent58
For my own little story - I got home from work today and hopped on the bike for some local climbing. Not feeling like doing Torrey Pines again, I decided to try a new route up to Mt Soledad - Hillside Drive. A nice steep climb, but about half way up I discovered that Hillside doesn't actually go all the way up to the top. It turns into a poorly maintained walking path with broken asphalt. I ended up diverting over to the upper part of Via Capri - the 17-18% part that supposedly made jschen puke.

I have done this hill once before with great discomfort, but today as the front wheel hopped and the back wheel slipped as I winched up the hill fairly near to the top I started to have bad flashbacks to my recent bone-breaking stall out at Aliso Wood. I have actually had recent nightmares about stalling out while clipped in on hills and tumbling down.

So as I was freaking a bit I asked myself - "What would Big Sean think that Brandy would think that George would say?" Unfortunately as you might expect, things get garbled when told 3rd-hand, so it came out something like " Average sprint! Drinking leg!" which didn't help at all. After that fizzled , I had a much more vivid vision of the evil clown from Extort's 4th birthday party saying -

Boo! Buahahahah! Come here little boy and say hello to Mr. Spanky!!

I took this as a sign that I should turn back, which I did. After descending I dropped down to La Jolla Shores and headed up Calle de Oro to the top , back down and then up the La Jolla Shores Dr hill to UCSD both on my middle chainring. Overall 1450ft of climbing in 12.3 miles. So overall I feel pretty good about my ride despite the somewhat embarassing clown incident.
O M G Dan!!!! This is the funniest post I've read in a very long time. Thanks for the laugh!!!!
Tiffanie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.