Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Ride May 6th In Thousand Oaks, CA

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Ride May 6th In Thousand Oaks, CA

Old 03-19-07, 10:30 AM
  #1  
Live To Ride Another Day!
Thread Starter
 
MarkAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 303

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride May 6th In Thousand Oaks, CA

I am looking for bicycle riders to join our team, Team Dragon Lady. This ride takes place in Thousand Oaks, CA on Sunday, May 6th. This is a ride not a race. Riders of all levels are welcome to join the team. You can ride 62, 30 or 5 miles. Yes, it will cost you $20 to ride which includes rest stops & SAG. Yes, they ask that you raise $150 for the American Diabetes Association which is tax deducible. No, it is not the best food you will get but you will not starve and they had pasta & salad for riders last year. This will be my fourth year with this event and we always have fun. We had 14 team members last year. (We are up to 8 team members already.) Today, Team Dragon Lady is one of 18 teams formed. Please join and be in our team picture this year.

I have friends, co-workers and acquaintances who suffer from this non-curable disease so it is special to me. Once you start talking about riding for the American Diabetes Association you will be surprised how many people tell you they are diabetic or have family members who are, it is a hidden killer many do not talk about. I donít know why. For example, I just found out one of the SFVBC members I ride with on Sundays is diabetic.

2006 Tour de Cure pictures which includes some training rides and the event.

Join My Team Click on the CLICK HERE TO JOIN MY TEAM button.

View Team Dragon Lady web page

TO Tour de Cure route slips

More info on the event

In previous years thank you gifts are given for those who reach $250 fund raising and more. Not all gifts are riding apparel, but for example: Tour de Cure jersey by Sugoi at $500 and matching shorts at $1,500 and on up to a kit. Nice stuff too and you will see some of it in the pictures from last year.

Thank you for your time in considering this opportunity.
MarkAJ is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 10:38 AM
  #2  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in...duh....
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 11:20 AM
  #3  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds interesting. I'll look into it.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-19-07, 11:40 AM
  #4  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
This sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

Thanks Jason...Thousand Oaks has some great riding...
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 09:23 AM
  #5  
Live To Ride Another Day!
Thread Starter
 
MarkAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 303

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Team Dragon Lady now has 13 riders. For a limited time (until we order) riders of Team Dragon Lady can get a team logo t-shirt for $11 each.

For those of you who need a bigger challenge I offer this, one of our returning riders (Damon Erb) rode so fast last year that he finished the metric before the event staff had the finish line & lunch setup. If you join our team I will hook you up with Damon to ride this event together. Others can ride with old pokies like me.

To date the Thousand Oaks, Tour de Cure event has 19 teams formed.

See my first posting to join Team Dragon Lady and to review event information.
MarkAJ is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 12:39 PM
  #6  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark, I can't join that weekend, but I congratulate you on riding for this cause.
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 01:12 PM
  #7  
Pink Hammer Girl
 
Kar3368's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
Posts: 587

Bikes: Project one Custom Trek Madone 5.2 SL, and a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 full suspension mountain bike.

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this wasn't the day after BA, I would be all over this ride!!
A great cause AND VERY local to me...
Kar3368 is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 01:35 PM
  #8  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kar3368
If this wasn't the day after BA, I would be all over this ride!!
A great cause AND VERY local to me...

Karen..do the 30 as a recovery ride....or do the 62...you will still smoke me!
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 02:30 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Posts: 5,088
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herbm
Karen..do the 30 as a recovery ride....or do the 62...you will still smoke me!

No smoking on the bike.
BigSean is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 06:32 PM
  #10  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
No smoking on the bike.
Someone tell Sunny that...
Well he doesnt smoke on the bike...but he does on breaks and when hes done...and he is *%$) fast...
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-20-07, 07:02 PM
  #11  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kar3368
If this wasn't the day after BA, I would be all over this ride!!
A great cause AND VERY local to me...
It's the day after BA for me, too, and it's not at all local to me, yet I'm considering it. Think of it as a chance to show off your BA jersey.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 09:32 AM
  #12  
bbp
hooray for spring
 
bbp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,067

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damon dopes, j/k.
bbp is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 10:15 AM
  #13  
Pink Hammer Girl
 
Kar3368's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
Posts: 587

Bikes: Project one Custom Trek Madone 5.2 SL, and a Specialized Stumpjumper M4 full suspension mountain bike.

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
It's the day after BA for me, too, and it's not at all local to me, yet I'm considering it. Think of it as a chance to show off your BA jersey.
Yeah, you're right!!! Wow, if you are considering coming for San Diego, I really have
no excuses coming from 5 miles away, do I?
I am considering it, and I will know for sure closer to the date!

K
Kar3368 is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 11:25 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Posts: 2,820

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll jump in on this, looks like a good Cruisin the Canejo warmup and a good cause to boot.
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 11:26 AM
  #15  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on another ride on Saturday. But you guys have fun up there! Karen, I noticed that you are now not doing the 25th ride. Are you and Tony considering watching the Fargo Hill Climb? If so, would you guys like to meet up with the group and ride there?
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 11:35 AM
  #16  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
I'll jump in on this, looks like a good Cruisin the Canejo warmup and a good cause to boot.
Thats great Ron....we'd love to have ya on our team!
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 11:41 AM
  #17  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
I'm on another ride on Saturday. But you guys have fun up there! Karen, I noticed that you are now not doing the 25th ride. Are you and Tony considering watching the Fargo Hill Climb? If so, would you guys like to meet up with the group and ride there?
EDIT: Oops...this was meant for another thread!
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-21-07, 11:53 AM
  #18  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
EDIT: Oops...this was meant for another thread!
D'oh
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 04-30-07, 02:09 PM
  #19  
Live To Ride Another Day!
Thread Starter
 
MarkAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 303

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so excited about Team Dragon Lady’s achievements for the May 6th Tour de Cure ride I want to share it with you. Everyone knows it is hard to calendar riders with our busy lives and commitments and we all know it is especially hard for a fund raiser ride. With those thoughts in mind, I am proud to be able to tell you I am part of Team Dragon Lady’s 21 riders who have collectively raised over $10, 500 for the American Diabetes Association. We have no matching contributors or corporate sponsors. It was all done with hard work by 21 women and men who mostly don’t even know each other. Until this Sunday!
MarkAJ is offline  
Old 04-30-07, 02:22 PM
  #20  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is still time to join us if you are interested!
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 05-06-07, 06:03 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Posts: 2,820

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark, congrats on the organizing your fundraising crew, great job!. Good to see you and Herb again today. Sorry I couldn't stay at the end, I had an errand to run after, and mostly, I got dehydrated during the ride and I was feeling pretty miserable at the end.

My ride report:

There wasn't a huge crowd of people doing the 62 mile option, so the start line wasn't too crowded. We went out around 7:30 and immediately went into some mild hills and HEADWINDS. No worries, at this point, I was feeling pretty good and just spun through the wind and powered up the hills. The course wound through Thousand Oaks. It's a very nice area for biking, the frequent lights aren't my favorite on organized rides like this, but it seems like it'd be a great town for bike commuting.

After the first 20 miles, I was starting to feel a little off. My ride on Saturday went from an expected 30 miles to an unexpected 50 miles, and I didn't hydrate well during or after the Saturday ride. With the headwinds and heat on Sunday, it was starting to catch up with me a little.

At the 30 mile mark, we passed by the starting point and I was tempted to call it a day, but I wasn't feeling that bad, and I really wanted to do Potrero, so I kept on going. I figured since we'd been riding into the winds for most of the course so far, we'd be due for some tailwinds. I figured wrong.

We went down Lynn road and turned onto Potrero, and was immediately hit with a full force headwind going into the steepest climb of the day. That aint right!

On Potrero, I started in my easiest gear figuring I'd just limp up the hill. About 1/2 way up the hill, I started to feel good, and started increasing my cadence and upshifted a couple of times. I passed several people and was going over 10 mph as I went over the top, that felt really good. The headwinds were still there, so it somewhat dampened the rest of the ride on Potrero, it's so beautiful riding through the section between Lake Sherwood and the big hill, and all I was thinking about was cussing the wind.

At the last sag stop, I was pretty spent, and was "hoping" the rest of the ride would be going back with the tailwind. I was wrong.

The winds continued to come directly at us, I found a few people to pace with, but there just weren't that many people on the ride. The last climb up Erbes(?) (which I wasn't expecting) wasn't too steep, but of course, went into the headwind. We finally crested the hill, turned direction and had a lovely tailwind down the hill back to the finish.

I don't know how much of the course overlaps with Cruisin the Canejo (I know Potrero does), but that should be a beautiful ride. Hopefully the winds will subside just a tad.

I'm pretty psyched with my time, considering the hills, headwinds and poor hydration. Lesson learned on the hydration.

Here are my Garmin stats.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2661921

Total Time (h:m:s) 4:22:29 4:18 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 4:03:40 3:59 pace
Distance (mi ) 60.96
Moving Speed (mph) 15.0 avg. 38.9 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +4,353 / -4,364 (sportracks shows 4050)

The new bike helped... a lot!
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline  
Old 05-06-07, 07:21 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
Posts: 2,702

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Liked 70 Times in 41 Posts
Nice going on the ride and congrats on raising some money for a good cause!

Sheldon


Originally Posted by ronjon10
Mark, congrats on the organizing your fundraising crew, great job!. Good to see you and Herb again today. Sorry I couldn't stay at the end, I had an errand to run after, and mostly, I got dehydrated during the ride and I was feeling pretty miserable at the end.

My ride report:

There wasn't a huge crowd of people doing the 62 mile option, so the start line wasn't too crowded. We went out around 7:30 and immediately went into some mild hills and HEADWINDS. No worries, at this point, I was feeling pretty good and just spun through the wind and powered up the hills. The course wound through Thousand Oaks. It's a very nice area for biking, the frequent lights aren't my favorite on organized rides like this, but it seems like it'd be a great town for bike commuting.

After the first 20 miles, I was starting to feel a little off. My ride on Saturday went from an expected 30 miles to an unexpected 50 miles, and I didn't hydrate well during or after the Saturday ride. With the headwinds and heat on Sunday, it was starting to catch up with me a little.

At the 30 mile mark, we passed by the starting point and I was tempted to call it a day, but I wasn't feeling that bad, and I really wanted to do Potrero, so I kept on going. I figured since we'd been riding into the winds for most of the course so far, we'd be due for some tailwinds. I figured wrong.

We went down Lynn road and turned onto Potrero, and was immediately hit with a full force headwind going into the steepest climb of the day. That aint right!

On Potrero, I started in my easiest gear figuring I'd just limp up the hill. About 1/2 way up the hill, I started to feel good, and started increasing my cadence and upshifted a couple of times. I passed several people and was going over 10 mph as I went over the top, that felt really good. The headwinds were still there, so it somewhat dampened the rest of the ride on Potrero, it's so beautiful riding through the section between Lake Sherwood and the big hill, and all I was thinking about was cussing the wind.

At the last sag stop, I was pretty spent, and was "hoping" the rest of the ride would be going back with the tailwind. I was wrong.

The winds continued to come directly at us, I found a few people to pace with, but there just weren't that many people on the ride. The last climb up Erbes(?) (which I wasn't expecting) wasn't too steep, but of course, went into the headwind. We finally crested the hill, turned direction and had a lovely tailwind down the hill back to the finish.

I don't know how much of the course overlaps with Cruisin the Canejo (I know Potrero does), but that should be a beautiful ride. Hopefully the winds will subside just a tad.

I'm pretty psyched with my time, considering the hills, headwinds and poor hydration. Lesson learned on the hydration.

Here are my Garmin stats.

https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2661921

Total Time (h:m:s) 4:22:29 4:18 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 4:03:40 3:59 pace
Distance (mi ) 60.96
Moving Speed (mph) 15.0 avg. 38.9 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +4,353 / -4,364 (sportracks shows 4050)

The new bike helped... a lot!
__________________
[insert clever quote here]
nesdog is offline  
Old 05-06-07, 07:21 PM
  #23  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Congrats on the fundraising!
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 05-06-07, 11:06 PM
  #24  
bbp
hooray for spring
 
bbp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,067

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finished the metric in 3 hours 45 minutes. I wanted to stop at the last rest stop to fix my cleat, which came loose around mile 40, but I couldn't find it. Afterwards I found out that I lost a screw on my cleat.

The wind was annoying but it wasn't too bad. The lack of any flat roads was more annoying. I was unimpressed with the food service in the end area. Last years lunch was much better organized. The goodie bag was a nice surprise though. I can always use more free tools and dominos gift certificates
bbp is offline  
Old 05-07-07, 10:28 AM
  #25  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron, it was great to see you and your new ride...its very sweet!!

Our team - Tream Dragon Lady had 22 riders...I beleive we were the largest team there...the overall event raised over $100k...I think our team was #2 in fund raising also!

It was a pretty easy decision as to what to wear... no windbreakers or warmers..we could tell it was warm when we arrived. My bigger concern was the wind that started to blow...
I said a bunch of hellos to teammates and a friend from SFVBC ,then geared up and got to the start...
One of the things I dont like is that rides in this area start climbing immediately...I need a few miles warmup....but thats the way it is....so off we went...started some small climbs...when we turned onto Moorpark we got hit with the wind...pretty bad as far as I was concerned...Ron dropped me and sped off inthe distance...new bike, weight loss...he is riding incredibly well!
As usual I was at the back of the pack....pretty soon I was alone...I had a real hard time on the climb up Olsen..this hill is so-so tough..but with the wind it was really tough..but what I realized as I got near the top was how weak I was feeling....I realized it had been 3 1/2 hrs since breakfast...I meant to have a banana and 1/2 a bagel at the start but got busy and never did...very bad...there was a downhill then some more climbing to get to simi valley..I know the 1st rest stop was at 12-15 miles so I figured I could make there..had a 1/2 bagel and some peanut butter...that helped a bit...I rode with a guy names James till rest stop 2...had another 1/4 bagel and PB..now I was starting to feel pretty good...I heading up Moorpark...and had a great downhill...caught up with my friend Tami from SFVBC and her teammate Elizabeth...cool..someone to ride with....Tami was sayind the she didnt realize how hard this ride was...so I said we could take it easy...ELizabeth was a really strong rider...she would ride up ahead then wait for us to catch up...
Another guy passed us (Dan I think) he and ELizabeth rode together up ahead...we stated heading up Lynn knowing Potrero was coming....on the last big hill on lynn we saw dan get off and walk......we said he was ok....so we kept going...up Wendy then onto Potrero....Tami stopped a bit into the start when he foot cramped, but she insisted I keep going..so I did...I made it to the top which was a goal since I had to walk part of it last year...bu no means at Rons 10mph...I was more like 4-5...that is one tough hill and at 40 miles with the wind in your face ..it really sucks....Elizabeth was waiting at the top...we talked for a bit...she rides with CVC ( conejo valley).....
We waited a bit then a truck pulls over and tami and Dan get out...they couldnt make it to the top...
So offwe go down into Hidden Valley...very pretty down there..some wind as well, then up to Lake Sherwood...one spot we got hit with major head winds I had to pedal hard to keep moving and I was going downhill!!
Finally the last rest stop at Lindero and Trifuno...guess what ..no they had no water...so I had to take their yucky electrolyte mix....but only 10 or miles to go....
The route this year ending with a couple of climbs...the one on Erbes is pretty good...at 59 miles its tough...Tami was suffering pretty bad...and I was pretty fried myself so we opted for a short cut that bypassed the climbs...still had 60.2 miles and almost 3600ft of elevation...
The roads in TO are just awesome for riding...Simi wasnt to bad this year..the simi part of the route was much nicer...
But overall, my time was better than last year...I made it up Potrero, and I was actually not the last person to finish this year!! Plus I had 2 lovely ladies to ride with and I had a good time, so it was all good!
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.