Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

What is the pace of a typical SoCal cat5 crit?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

What is the pace of a typical SoCal cat5 crit?

Old 03-25-07, 07:09 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the pace of a typical SoCal cat5 crit?

I got back in to cycling about 9 months ago and have logged about 5500 miles so far. Today they were holding the LA Circuit race on Westchester Parkway by LAX about a mile from my house, so I went down and checked it out. I stayed a few minutes and watched the masters sprint for the finish. I was actually surprised to see how slow the sprint was. I ride by that spot where the finish line is almost every day. There is a slight downhill about .5 miles and a very slight uphill about .2mi from the finish and the wind is always at your back. I can typically blow through there at 30mph with decent effort. It looked like the pack was doing less than 30 (maybe I'm bad at estimating speed).

I didn't stay for the cat5's since the start for the cat5's was not until after 2pm and I needed to get a ride in today.

I am curious what the typical pace for a cat5 race around here is like. Riding solo, I can average 21mph (computer average with stops for lights, etc.) for 25mi, if I go hard. My typical averages are 16-18mph. I am hesitant to race since I REALLY don't want to crash. I am recovering from a separated shoulder 7 months ago I got while MTBing. If I crash on it again, I will be in a world of misery. But still racing looks fun and I am thinking about trying it, just wondering if I could even keep up.
dazedone is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 08:04 PM
  #2  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on what you typed, I think you'd be OK on keeping up with a Cat 5 crit...that said, crashes are somewhat common in crits...especially in the 5's.

You could always try El Do on a Wed night...it's pretty mellow...you can even rest for a lap if you want.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 08:05 PM
  #3  
Abby Normal
 
I am The Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 508

Bikes: Leader LD-736R

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i took up cycling less than 4 months ago and will be racing later this year. i'm in the same boat as you, already have a separated shoulder and don't want to crash either but i'm going to race anyway. misery loves company through the cat 5s. join a team...i joined south bay wheelmen last month but haven't done any training with them, just getting miles in my legs and getting a second bike so i can train and race on my first bike.
https://www.southbaywheelmen.org/
I am The Edge is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 08:06 PM
  #4  
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Posts: 7,432

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just prepare like you're going ride with the 1/2/3's and you'll be pleasantly surprised. in my first 7 races, i was involved in 1 crash and narrowly avoided two others. it happens..just don't be around when it does.
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 09:07 PM
  #5  
It is fantastic.
 
voltman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The OC
Posts: 7,977

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crit speed = my speed + 10
voltman is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 09:07 PM
  #6  
Old & Getting Older Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,343

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hello dazedone,

I raced in the Masters 45+ this morning and I had a max speed of 34 MPH and I didn't sprint. We were regularly at 30+ MPH though there were moments of 22 MPH. Average for 30 miles was 26.5 MPH. The race wasn't too hard by most standards but it was fast enough that no one got away -- including me.

Check out the other SoCal racing thread for more info.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men still wear pink."
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Cleave is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 09:10 PM
  #7  
Meow!
 
my58vw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 6,019

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22 - 26 AVG depending on the course -

Remember - 25 MPH is easy with the pack - 20 MPH - 32 MPH in a corner is hard!
__________________
Just your average club rider... :)
my58vw is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 10:30 PM
  #8  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,215

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 934 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
22 - 26 AVG depending on the course -

Remember - 25 MPH is easy with the pack - 20 MPH - 32 MPH in a corner is hard!
YUP........ it's not the pace to worry about, but the acceleration and consitant attacks that makes the pace ridiculous and the acceleration like top fuel drag races Either way the 30 minutes goes by FAST
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 10:33 PM
  #9  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hello dazedone,

I raced in the Masters 45+ this morning and I had a max speed of 34 MPH and I didn't sprint. We were regularly at 30+ MPH though there were moments of 22 MPH. Average for 30 miles was 26.5 MPH. The race wasn't too hard by most standards but it was fast enough that no one got away -- including me.

Check out the other SoCal racing thread for more info.
Cleave...was that Redlands? My neighbor was in that race and had a minor crash with five laps to go. He said that the pack thinned out pretty quickly.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 11:03 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
1265 Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Al, CA
Posts: 299

Bikes: Van Dessle , De Rosa Avant

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dazedone
I got back in to cycling about 9 months ago and have logged about 5500 miles so far. Today they were holding the LA Circuit race on Westchester Parkway by LAX about a mile from my house, so I went down and checked it out. I stayed a few minutes and watched the masters sprint for the finish. I was actually surprised to see how slow the sprint was. I ride by that spot where the finish line is almost every day. There is a slight downhill about .5 miles and a very slight uphill about .2mi from the finish and the wind is always at your back. I can typically blow through there at 30mph with decent effort. It looked like the pack was doing less than 30 (maybe I'm bad at estimating speed).

I didn't stay for the cat5's since the start for the cat5's was not until after 2pm and I needed to get a ride in today.

I am curious what the typical pace for a cat5 race around here is like. Riding solo, I can average 21mph (computer average with stops for lights, etc.) for 25mi, if I go hard. My typical averages are 16-18mph. I am hesitant to race since I REALLY don't want to crash. I am recovering from a separated shoulder 7 months ago I got while MTBing. If I crash on it again, I will be in a world of misery. But still racing looks fun and I am thinking about trying it, just wondering if I could even keep up.
Just hop in and find out.
1265 Lombardi is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 04:09 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Verne CA
Posts: 5,049

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
here is a list of socal race/training rides.. some of these are race pace rides... Buds, Montrose, Como Street and Heritage Park can be some of the faster rides.. Heritage will give you good bike handling/crit training.

https://www.socalcycling.com/Group%20...GroupRides.htm
socalrider is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 02:10 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 11,736
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you can average 21mph, then no problems with hanging in a pack. Problem with crashing is that you MUST learn to read the pack and the other riders. Too many beginners just focus on the course and getting around it. That doesn't matter one bit, it's the other guys you want to be watching. Avoid the sketchy types and stay on the wheels of the steady safe guys. Those are the ones that'll be in the top-10 at the finish and if you're on their wheels, you'l have a much easier and safer race.
DannoXYZ is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 07:02 PM
  #13  
Old & Getting Older Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,343

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Cleave...was that Redlands? My neighbor was in that race and had a minor crash with five laps to go. He said that the pack thinned out pretty quickly.
Nope, it was LAX (L.A. Circuit Race).
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men still wear pink."
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Cleave is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 07:14 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

One thing I did not mention is that my pack riding skills are not there. I kinda get wigged out when I don't have a clear view of the road in front of me. Whenever I try to draft I am constantly slowing down and then speeding up. I am afraid of joining a club because I don't want to take someone down in a group ride. So it is a catch 22 since I need to join a club to get my skills up to par.

Does anyone know of a newbie-friendly club in the west LA/Southbay? My perception of the clubs around here is that they are seem a bit snobby, for lack of a better word.

I have a couple of friends training for the SF-LA AIDS ride and I joined a few of their rides, they are a great bunch of folks, but they forbid drafting and they tend to go a bit slower than I would like since they are training more for distance rather than speed.
dazedone is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 07:21 PM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hello dazedone,

I raced in the Masters 45+ this morning and I had a max speed of 34 MPH and I didn't sprint. We were regularly at 30+ MPH though there were moments of 22 MPH. Average for 30 miles was 26.5 MPH. The race wasn't too hard by most standards but it was fast enough that no one got away -- including me.

Check out the other SoCal racing thread for more info.
Hi Cleave,

I was hoping someone on here was in that race so they could clear that up for me. I typically ride that stretch at about 18MPH going west (into the wind) and about 25-27 going east. I ride that stretch of road on 99% of my training rides since it is my way to the beach, then I go north or south from there. It would be neat to race on it, since I am so familiar with it.

How fast were you going through the turn-arounds?

Thanks,
David
dazedone is offline  
Old 03-26-07, 08:24 PM
  #16  
Old & Getting Older Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,343

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dazedone
Hi Cleave,

How fast were you going through the turn-arounds?

Thanks,
David
Hi,

Don't know because my computer screwed up with storing the data and I don't look at my computer while I'm cornering in the pack. However, when I was at the front it was fast, when I was mid to back of the pack it was very slow. That's how races work in general.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men still wear pink."
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Cleave is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.