Notices
Southern California Southern California

LA Wheelmen Grand Tour

Old 03-29-07, 09:02 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cassave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, Calif.
Posts: 1,671
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
LA Wheelmen Grand Tour

Just sent in my registration for this year's GT double.
Great ride. LAW does an excellent job with food and sag.

Anybody else riding this one?
Cassave is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:08 AM
  #2  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be, but I haven't decided on the Lowland or the Highland. Depending on whether or not I ride Solvang (and assuming I finish), I'll make a decision. If it's my third double, I'll probably go for the Lowland. If it's my forth and I'm not concerned with outcome, I'll go for the highland and climb Potrero - which I dread doing. But it's only fun if you dread it, right? Oh, and, yes, the LA Wheelman are the BEST! Kermit has rescued me twice and suffers my many hugs every time I see him. I can't wait to support that group's ride again.
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:15 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cassave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, Calif.
Posts: 1,671
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
I will be, but I haven't decided on the Lowland or the Highland. Depending on whether or not I ride Solvang (and assuming I finish), I'll make a decision. If it's my third double, I'll probably go for the Lowland. If it's my forth and I'm not concerned with outcome, I'll go for the highland and climb Potrero - which I dread doing. But it's only fun if you dread it, right? Oh, and, yes, the LA Wheelman are the BEST! Kermit has rescued me twice and suffers my many hugs every time I see him. I can't wait to support that group's ride again.
Good!
I'm signed for the highland.
Potrero comes early and it's short, the pain subsides pretty quickly.
Winds are less of an issue on the highland since you don't have that run straight
up the coast from Ventura road to Rincon.
Cassave is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:21 AM
  #4  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Good!
I'm signed for the highland.
Potrero comes early and it's short, the pain subsides pretty quickly.
Winds are less of an issue on the highland since you don't have that run straight
up the coast from Ventura road to Rincon.
Yeah, you know it's funny, but everyone thinks the Lowland is easier (me included in that group initially), but then when you realize that on the Lowland, you technically never stop pedaling except at all of the stoplights and the awful wind to Rincon, the Highland doesn't seem so bad! But it will take me longer since climbing is involved...and...well....fill in the sandbagging comment here (although it's true and not SB!)
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:34 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cassave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, Calif.
Posts: 1,671
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Yeah, you know it's funny, but everyone thinks the Lowland is easier (me included in that group initially), but then when you realize that on the Lowland, you technically never stop pedaling except at all of the stoplights and the awful wind to Rincon, the Highland doesn't seem so bad! But it will take me longer since climbing is involved...and...well....fill in the sandbagging comment here (although it's true and not SB!)
Just consider it saturation therapy for your cycloholicism.
Cassave is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:39 AM
  #6  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I intend to be there. Not yet decided whether it will be the highland century or the lowland double. Probably depends on whether I keep procrastinating on getting decent lights.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:46 AM
  #7  
oo..O.O.o..OO...o
 
magicant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,902

Bikes: Synapse

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jschen
Probably depends on whether I keep procrastinating on getting decent lights.
And the award for lamest excuse not to ride goes to...

__________________
If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?
magicant is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:48 AM
  #8  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magicant
And the award for lamest excuse not to ride goes to...
He's got you there, Jason. You get those lights, mister! (you don't need a HID, you know)

EDIT: Oh, and do not forget, the day of the GT Double is the longest day of the year - so, the MOST sunlight!
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:48 AM
  #9  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LBS just has to push the issue, tell me to order the lights, and get me to sign on the dotted line. Just look at LowCel; he advertised the Spinergy's (which I have way less need for) and next thing I know, I'm buying them. But with no sales pitch, I've just kept procrastinating.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:50 AM
  #10  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
He's got you there, Jason. You get those lights, mister! (you don't need a HID, you know)

EDIT: Oh, and do not forget, the day of the GT Double is the longest day of the year - so, the MOST sunlight!
I know... no need for a HID. I'll probably get one, though.

By the way, I assume many people will be staying around the area the night after the ride. We'll have to organize a recovery ride, aka Jason's birthday ride, for that Sunday.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 09:51 AM
  #11  
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,709
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Yes, I will be doing it again this year, but the highland route this time, now that I'm familiar with routes in that area. The support on this ride is first rate.
roadfix is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:09 AM
  #12  
I'm Just Sayin'.....
 
Scootcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: El Barrio Mas Macho(aka Van Nuys)
Posts: 2,995

Bikes: A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i imagine ill do it, no idea which route though.....plenty of time to decide....
__________________
Mistakes are just fine. Just don't make excuses....
Scootcore is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:11 AM
  #13  
Racerboy Douchebaggery
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Posts: 3,200

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll do the highland double, too.
jpconrad is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:18 AM
  #14  
Abby Normal
 
I am The Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 508

Bikes: Leader LD-736R

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm.....i'm considering.....3 months to decide, though.
I am The Edge is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:26 AM
  #15  
Climbing better
 
scvroadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 697

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there, but I'm just doing the double metric, using it as a training ride for the DEATH RIDE.
scvroadie is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:27 AM
  #16  
oo..O.O.o..OO...o
 
magicant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 1,902

Bikes: Synapse

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'll do whichever one the rest of the gang is doing.
__________________
If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't you be happy?
magicant is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 10:45 AM
  #17  
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scvroadie
I'll be there, but I'm just doing the double metric, using it as a training ride for the DEATH RIDE.
That ride sounds ominous enough without being in all caps!
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 11:06 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
ronjon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Topanga, but I'm not a hippy
Posts: 2,820

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in for a double metric, not a double century.
__________________
just being
ronjon10 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 11:27 AM
  #19  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
I'm in for a double metric, not a double century.

I'll have a double also............................margarita!!
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 12:07 PM
  #20  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you who do not want to do the doubles, there is always the Grand Tour Lite in August. That's a great ride as well and takes you up Latigo - my favorite climb.
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 01:43 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
DanteB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
Posts: 1,747

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDIT: Oh, and do not forget, the day of the GT Double is the longest day of the year - so, the MOST sunlight![/QUOTE]

I'll still need the lights, I just signed-up for the Highland Triple. I did it last year, I started at 4AM and finished at 2AM. I was on the bike for 20 hours and on the course for 22, it was a looooong day.
__________________
Make mine a double!
DanteB is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 01:50 PM
  #22  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanteB
EDIT: Oh, and do not forget, the day of the GT Double is the longest day of the year - so, the MOST sunlight!
I'll still need the lights, I just signed-up for the Highland Triple. I did it last year, I started at 4AM and finished at 2AM. I was on the bike for 20 hours and on the course for 22, it was a looooong day. [/quote]

Yeah...well...that would be YOU riding that triple, honey. I don't do three ways - I'm a double only gal.
merider1 is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 01:58 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
DanteB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
Posts: 1,747

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah...well...that would be YOU riding that triple, honey. I don't do three ways - I'm a double only gal. [/QUOTE]

I'm not touching that line!
__________________
Make mine a double!
DanteB is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 04:51 PM
  #24  
Magnesium Dogmatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,939

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Just sent in my registration for this year's GT double.
Great ride. LAW does an excellent job with food and sag.

Anybody else riding this one?
Can somebody please provide a link with information?
haimtoeg is offline  
Old 03-29-07, 04:56 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cassave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, Calif.
Posts: 1,671
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by haimtoeg
Can somebody please provide a link with information?
https://lawheelmen.org/

Click on Grand Tour, at the top of their page.
Cassave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.