Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Baker to Death Valley Road Race

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Baker to Death Valley Road Race

Old 09-16-07, 10:46 PM
  #1  
Racerboy Douchebaggery
Thread Starter
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Posts: 3,200

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baker to Death Valley Road Race

This was mentioned in a couple threads, but I figured why not one more...

The race is set for 10/28 and goes 80 miles or so from Baker to Death Valley. The flyer has the course info, as well as info for the climbs (yes, it isn't flat).

https://www.californiabicycleracing.o....bike.race.pdf

Is anyone else doing it?
jpconrad is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 12:34 AM
  #2  
aka. vertical jon
 
WhiteCarbonDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?
Posts: 768

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!
WhiteCarbonDude is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 07:26 AM
  #3  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jpconrad
This was mentioned in a couple threads, but I figured why not one more...

The race is set for 10/28 and goes 80 miles or so from Baker to Death Valley. The flyer has the course info, as well as info for the climbs (yes, it isn't flat).

https://www.californiabicycleracing.o....bike.race.pdf

Is anyone else doing it?

Its probably a bad idea but I really want one more race this year to get my upgrade to cat 4, so I may do it. Have to talk to the wife first...
umd is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 09:46 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!

(Well, if lobbing water bottles from the feed zone counts...)
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 09:55 AM
  #5  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,213

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
I'm too slow to race right now......maybe in March I'll be ready. I'll also be doing the MTB winter series at Fontucky in Jan.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 09:59 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,318
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll still be out that way for DV Double the day before. Maybe we'll get to see you finish.
VanceMac is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:02 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
I'll still be out that way for DV Double the day before. Maybe we'll get to see you finish.
Hey Vance... we can hang out at the Feed Zone together!

Although I must admit, my anticipation of "fun" was somewhat curtailed. I was informed that I simply hand over the bottles to the rider, not aim and throw them at moving targets.

Last edited by Happytime; 10-18-07 at 07:00 PM.
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:13 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,318
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize you were being serious about working the race. Do you know which station?
VanceMac is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:19 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea what I'm doing. Sonia can't make it so I'm JP's workmule for the day.
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:23 AM
  #10  
aka. vertical jon
 
WhiteCarbonDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?
Posts: 768

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime
I have no idea what I'm doing. Sonia can't make it so I'm JP's workmule for the day.
Could you take care of me too
WhiteCarbonDude is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:27 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
VanceMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,318
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteCarbonDude
Could you take care of me too
And you might as well come up a day early and take care of the poor double victims...
VanceMac is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:29 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I can, I will. I'm such a sucker for you b@stards.
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:41 AM
  #13  
Racerboy Douchebaggery
Thread Starter
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Posts: 3,200

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime
If I can, I will. I'm such a sucker for you b@stards.
Can Sonia and WCD's wife split the hourly charge?
jpconrad is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:43 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, if they don't mind... I get paid all the same!
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 01:36 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
TrevorInSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SoCal - 909
Posts: 701

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same situation as umd, one or two races short of an upgrade from the Vs, and would really like to start next season as a IV.

Problem is nobody local to me, that I know of, is doing it. I don't really want to foot the gas/lodging bill solo, and don't know how I'd get back to my car after the race, so I'll probably have to skip it.

There's a CX race that weekend that I can do instead. Too bad CX races don't count as a "mass start" for purposes of your Cat IV upgrade.
TrevorInSoCal is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 02:04 PM
  #16  
bbp
hooray for spring
 
bbp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,067

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't 80 miles excessive for a cat 5 race?
bbp is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 06:58 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was really hoping to do this even though I knew I wouldn't be in race shape. However, I found out that the Casino night fundraiser for Brea Olinda High School's girls basketball team is the night before. My stepdaughter is a freshman and will be starting on Varsity this year so I was informed that my attendance is a must. I really don't feel like driving to Baker late at night or early in the morning. Chris is an awesome promotor and I like to support what he does. Now that I hear Happytime is going to be in the feedzone, I'm really sorry to miss it. John do me a favor and be sure to tell Chris or Vera that I am sorry to miss the race and I will be there for sure if they put it on in the spring.
Regarding the Cat. 5 upgrades- If you guys can show that you belong in the 4s and have any upgrade points from 4/5 races, I'll bet they will process your upgrade with a combo of 9 starts and some points from 4/5 races. I know two guys that they have done this for in recent years. I haven't heard of them being super sticky on the 10 starts if you have some points.

BTW 80 miles is pretty far for a Cat 5 race but it is point to point and I think they are trying to minimize costs and use 1 start and 1 finish.
redal is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 10:01 PM
  #18  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redal
Regarding the Cat. 5 upgrades- If you guys can show that you belong in the 4s and have any upgrade points from 4/5 races, I'll bet they will process your upgrade with a combo of 9 starts and some points from 4/5 races. I know two guys that they have done this for in recent years. I haven't heard of them being super sticky on the 10 starts if you have some points.
Well I have no upgrade points, just 9 races. They denied me an upgrade with what I have, so one more race and they have no choice...
umd is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 11:31 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
TrevorInSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SoCal - 909
Posts: 701

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redal
Regarding the Cat. 5 upgrades- If you guys can show that you belong in the 4s and have any upgrade points from 4/5 races, I'll bet they will process your upgrade with a combo of 9 starts and some points from 4/5 races. I know two guys that they have done this for in recent years. I haven't heard of them being super sticky on the 10 starts if you have some points.

BTW 80 miles is pretty far for a Cat 5 race but it is point to point and I think they are trying to minimize costs and use 1 start and 1 finish.
Seems to me they're being sticklers.

3rd at Boulevard, 5th overall at San Dimas, 6 total races, and holding a semi-pro NORBA license wasn't enough for an upgrade earlier in the season. Haven't done any road racing since San Dimas except for Everest Challenge, so I'm still only up to 8 total.

CX races probably don't count for anything, on the road, either.

Shoulda done a couple crits I guess.
TrevorInSoCal is offline  
Old 10-18-07, 11:46 PM
  #20  
Old & Getting Older Racer
 
Cleave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,343

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hi,

My teammate and I are basically in. We just need to figure out the car logistics. I have another friend who is probably going with his wife so we can probably bum a ride with them back to Baker. All of us will be in the 30+ 1/2/3 race.
__________________
Thanks.
Cleave
"Real men still wear pink."
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Cleave is offline  
Old 10-19-07, 12:03 AM
  #21  
re-cyclist
 
genedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Claremont, CA
Posts: 201

Bikes: Fuji Team Issue, GT tandem, Couture (bet you never heard of this one)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave
Hi,

My teammate and I are basically in. We just need to figure out the car logistics. I have another friend who is probably going with his wife so we can probably bum a ride with them back to Baker. All of us will be in the 30+ 1/2/3 race.

Cleave, glad to hear you'll make it. It looks like we may have 6 going.
genedoc is offline  
Old 10-19-07, 08:47 AM
  #22  
Racerboy Douchebaggery
Thread Starter
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Posts: 3,200

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redal
I was really hoping to do this even though I knew I wouldn't be in race shape. However, I found out that the Casino night fundraiser for Brea Olinda High School's girls basketball team is the night before. My stepdaughter is a freshman and will be starting on Varsity this year so I was informed that my attendance is a must. I really don't feel like driving to Baker late at night or early in the morning. Chris is an awesome promotor and I like to support what he does. Now that I hear Happytime is going to be in the feedzone, I'm really sorry to miss it. John do me a favor and be sure to tell Chris or Vera that I am sorry to miss the race and I will be there for sure if they put it on in the spring.
Regarding the Cat. 5 upgrades- If you guys can show that you belong in the 4s and have any upgrade points from 4/5 races, I'll bet they will process your upgrade with a combo of 9 starts and some points from 4/5 races. I know two guys that they have done this for in recent years. I haven't heard of them being super sticky on the 10 starts if you have some points.

BTW 80 miles is pretty far for a Cat 5 race but it is point to point and I think they are trying to minimize costs and use 1 start and 1 finish.
I'll mention it to Chris when I see him. Is anyone else from SC Velo going to be there?

Happytime's going to help out with the race, do you know if she can drive a support vehicle and also work the feed zone, or is it too hard to do both?
jpconrad is offline  
Old 10-19-07, 10:38 AM
  #23  
umd
Banned
 
umd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 28,387

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Silly question... how do we get back to our cars from the finish?
umd is offline  
Old 10-19-07, 10:39 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,560
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Silly question... how do we get back to our cars from the finish?
Happytime is offline  
Old 10-19-07, 10:44 AM
  #25  
Racerboy Douchebaggery
Thread Starter
 
jpconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosebowl Land
Posts: 3,200

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale systemSix, 2008 Bianchi Pista

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Silly question... how do we get back to our cars from the finish?
You've got a bike...

If Happytime's driving a support vehicle (my minivan) it's got a rack for 4 bikes.
jpconrad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.