Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Question for the socal climbers

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Question for the socal climbers

Old 02-28-08, 03:15 PM
  #1  
Long Haul Truckin'
Thread Starter
 
Jaye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 594

Bikes: Surly LHT

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for the socal climbers

Hey everyone I am not a climber but want to begin climbing, at 6' and 260 I am not exactly built to just dive headlong into Baldy. Of the well known climbs ie Baldy, AC, etc can you climbers out there rank them for me based on which one I should start with and get down before moving to #2 and so on.

I really appreciate the help and advice! I will see some of you on Saturday for the B2B ride!

~Mike
Jaye is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:16 PM
  #2  
Embracing the fredness
 
herbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 4,672

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably start on just GMR and see how that goes...
__________________
Wheel Sucker Extraordinaire
herbm is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:21 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,170
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think they're mostly pretty comparable to each other, except for Baldy via Baldy Rd. and from Baldy Village to the ski lifts, both of which are very steep.

Big T to clear creek might be a nice start-- it's low traffic and a reasonable climb. La Tuna canyon might also be a nice place to start-- it's relatively short and not steep. Otherwise just go ride and see how you feel.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
https://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:24 PM
  #4  
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 24,425

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,264 Times in 718 Posts
If you're new, I recommend starting with some shorter climbs. I tried to get back into cycling too quickly after taking almost a decade off, and climbing all over the Santa Monica Mountains when I hadn't built myself up on the smaller hills first gave me a knee problem that had me off the bike completely for months.
urbanknight is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:27 PM
  #5  
Dagger Boy
 
Extort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,247

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read studies that show that larger people have greater muscle mass than skinny people, so you should be able to power yourself up a hill no matter what your weight...

but to start, find a local hill (~1 mile @ 4-6%) and do repeats up that so that you have a break in between each cycle. After you can do 4-5 of those comfortably then go after some of the bigger hills like GMR.
__________________
Women think they're so clever because they can fake an orgasm for the sake of a relationship, but men can fake a whole relationship for the sake of an orgasm.
Extort is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:50 PM
  #6  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
If you're new, I recommend starting with some shorter climbs. I tried to get back into cycling too quickly after taking almost a decade off, and climbing all over the Santa Monica Mountains when I hadn't built myself up on the smaller hills first gave me a knee problem that had me off the bike completely for months.
+1 Mike, you should come out and climb the canyons in Griffith Park. Those roads are excellent for those just cutting their teeth on climbs. If too easy, you can always do a few repeats/loops. But basically, GMR is like Mt. Hollywood X 3.
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:52 PM
  #7  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Extort
I have read studies that show that larger people have greater muscle mass than skinny people, so you should be able to power yourself up a hill no matter what your weight...
Rubbish...whoever wrote those studies was probably some little skinny ba$tard. No amount of muscle mass can overcome the extra poundage...otherwise guys like Thor Hushovd & Fabian Cancellara would be climbing studs.

Case in point, many of you have seen my legs but despite the muscle mass, I'm the worst climber in any given group ride.

Of course, I can still make it up GMR Jaye...I'll bet you can too!
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:53 PM
  #8  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Rubbish...
+1 And Phil, might I remind you of your climbing capabilities.
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:55 PM
  #9  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
+1 And Phil, might I remind you of your climbing capabilities.
Is that a euphemism?
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:57 PM
  #10  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Is that a euphemism?
No. Now, if I'd mentioned my climbing abilities, yes.
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 03:59 PM
  #11  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
No. Now, if I'd mentioned my climbing abilities, yes.
Legendary from what I hear.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:07 PM
  #12  
Over the hill
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 24,425

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,264 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Rubbish...whoever wrote those studies was probably some little skinny ba$tard. No amount of muscle mass can overcome the extra poundage...otherwise guys like Thor Hushovd & Fabian Cancellara would be climbing studs.
Actually, it's true, but the extra muscle mass is only enough to compensate for the extra poundage. Otherwise, 350 lb guys wouldn't be able to walk. Of course, skinny people with extra muscle will have the advantage, but I have a theory that people who start out heavy and then lose weight while building muscle end up on top because they retain the higher muscle mass yet end up light to make an awesome power to weight ratio.
urbanknight is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:08 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Tennessee.
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Legendary from what I hear.
No...no...you're confusing abilities here....


mkadam68 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:11 PM
  #14  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
Legendary from what I hear.
Lies. All lies. Trust me, I descend harder and with better skill than I ever do climb.
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:18 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,698

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Lies. All lies. Trust me, I descend harder and with better skill than I ever do climb.
Yep. All it takes is M.E.'s 1 post to bring a thread into the gutter.
DaveSANYYZ is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:21 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,698

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure of your climbing abilities... but perhaps clear the shorter/city ones first like Newport Coast/Torrey Pines with a repeat or two to gauge how you're doing. This way even if you're stuck, it won't be as bad and you'll still be closer to home.
DaveSANYYZ is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:21 PM
  #17  
Robbie McEwen Wannabe
 
tbrown524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 571

Bikes: Trek 2200

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Extort

but to start, find a local hill (~1 mile @ 4-6%) and do repeats up that so that you have a break in between each cycle. After you can do 4-5 of those comfortably then go after some of the bigger hills like GMR.

+100 - I was 265 lbs when I started riding and I was doing hill repeats at least twice a week outside of group rides. It might not help you beat the skinnies up the hill but it'll help you at least stay with the pack.

A place where I do my repeats is Turnbull Canyon Rd(Whittier).. Pretty quiet there on Sunday mornings.
tbrown524 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:26 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,170
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Actually, it's true, but the extra muscle mass is only enough to compensate for the extra poundage. Otherwise, 350 lb guys wouldn't be able to walk. Of course, skinny people with extra muscle will have the advantage, but I have a theory that people who start out heavy and then lose weight while building muscle end up on top because they retain the higher muscle mass yet end up light to make an awesome power to weight ratio.
It depends.

Climbing (and cycling in general) is more limited by ability to convert sugar and oxygen to mechanical energy and dissipate the excess heat generated in doing that (the process isn't all that efficient). Climbing ability is determined mostly by power/weight, not strength/weight (unless you can't climb at all...). If you take two guys who are 25 kg apart in weight, but both produce 5 watts per kilo, they'll both climb at the same rate. The bigger guy will be faster on the flats though. If the heavier guy has a higher body fat percentage, then it's less likely that he'll be 5 W/kg, so he'll probably climb slower.

Miguel Indurain was a monster relative to your typical elite climber at about 170 lbs, but he could put out more than enough power to make up for it.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
https://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:30 PM
  #19  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSANYYZ
Yep. All it takes is M.E.'s 1 post to bring a thread into the gutter.
No sir. I did not start it. Cjbruin did.
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:45 PM
  #20  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
Miguel Indurain was a monster relative to your typical elite climber at about 170 lbs, but he could put out more than enough power to make up for it.
No joke. He used to put out 550W with a VO2 Max of 88. By comparison, most elite athletes are usually around the 450W, 65 VO2 Max and an avg untrained 30 year old male falls around 200W with a 40 VO2 Max.

By the way, I did not take this off the top of my head...I'm not THAT big of a geek. I went through some athletic torture testing and the doc compared my results to all three of those others.

I came in at 350W and a 42.5 VO2 Max. At that point I was claiming the title of "Fittest Fat Guy in Orange County"
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:48 PM
  #21  
Body by Guinness
 
cjbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 3,326

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
No sir. I did not start it. Cjbruin did.
You hush.
__________________
Fredo, you're my older brother and I love you...but don't ever take sides, with anyone, against the family again...ever.
cjbruin is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 04:50 PM
  #22  
no more nellie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
You hush.
Look it, you did start it, when all I was doing was complimenting Phil on how fast he climbs. The man can do repeats before I ever peak. Of course, that's been my experience with just about every man I've ever ridden with...
merider1 is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 05:10 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
bitingduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,170
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
No joke. He used to put out 550W with a VO2 Max of 88. By comparison, most elite athletes are usually around the 450W, 65 VO2 Max and an avg untrained 30 year old male falls around 200W with a 40 VO2 Max.

By the way, I did not take this off the top of my head...I'm not THAT big of a geek. I went through some athletic torture testing and the doc compared my results to all three of those others.

I came in at 350W and a 42.5 VO2 Max. At that point I was claiming the title of "Fittest Fat Guy in Orange County"
Unfortunately I'm enough of a geek that I could have pulled most of those numbers out of my head, including Indurain's numbers.
__________________
Track - the other off-road
https://www.lavelodrome.org
bitingduck is offline  
Old 02-28-08, 05:10 PM
  #24  
Turtle1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Did anyone do that bike race simulator thing at ToC? The guy next to me hit like 900 watts at some point....is that even possible?
 
Old 02-28-08, 05:10 PM
  #25  
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 6,186

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbrown524
A place where I do my repeats is Turnbull Canyon Rd(Whittier).. Pretty quiet there on Sunday mornings.
I would 2nd that (Turnbull), but only if it's somewhat near to where you live. Maybe if you tell us where you live (approx.) riders from that are could suggest some specific climbs.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.