Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Mountains to Sea Trail in Irvine Closing?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Mountains to Sea Trail in Irvine Closing?

Old 07-13-11, 10:53 AM
  #1  
Accordion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mountains to Sea Trail in Irvine Closing?

I noticed on my ride yesterday that there are big orange warning signs up around the Mountains to Sea Trail in Irvine around the Harvard/Barranca intersection. The signs mention the closing of the trail from July 17th, 2011 through January 2012!

Anybody know what they are going to be doing or how much of the trail will be closed?

I ride this thing about 10 times a month and it would sure hurt to lose it for six months!
Accordion is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 11:19 AM
  #2  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the link of Irvine's road constructure/closres. I didn't see that part of the bike path listed...

https://https://www.cityofirvine.org/m...nstruction.htm

There is always some construction taking place. You can always use Harvard until the trail opens up again.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 12:07 PM
  #3  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 285 Times in 155 Posts
Rode it on Tuesday. The gates were closed from Bayside to San Joaquin Hills. You have to dismount or bunny hop to get on the dirt sides of the gates to hop in. There was construction on the flat straightaway section with the road blocked off. The narrow "pedestrian" lane was still open so you can't really go through it at speed.

Having to dismount twice is a buzzkill...I'll be climbing Newport Coast instead.
Elvo is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 02:56 PM
  #4  
Accordion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Rode it on Tuesday. The gates were closed from Bayside to San Joaquin Hills. You have to dismount or bunny hop to get on the dirt sides of the gates to hop in. There was construction on the flat straightaway section with the road blocked off. The narrow "pedestrian" lane was still open so you can't really go through it at speed.

Having to dismount twice is a buzzkill...I'll be climbing Newport Coast instead.
That's not the section I am talking about. That's around the BackBay. I have rode that section the past couple of days and done the dismount thing twice. Actually FOUR times since I went back that way too! I agree that it's a buzzkill but it's better than climbing for me!

Looking at the signs today more closely it is the Peters Canyon Trail that is closing for 6 months. It appears to be right around the Skating Rink on Barranca and winding around towards The District. Perhaps they are finally going to complete that section so that you won't need to ride on Harvard the couple miles or so to link the two paths!
Accordion is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 03:46 PM
  #5  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 285 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
That's not the section I am talking about. That's around the BackBay. I have rode that section the past couple of days and done the dismount thing twice. Actually FOUR times since I went back that way too! I agree that it's a buzzkill but it's better than climbing for me!

Looking at the signs today more closely it is the Peters Canyon Trail that is closing for 6 months. It appears to be right around the Skating Rink on Barranca and winding around towards The District. Perhaps they are finally going to complete that section so that you won't need to ride on Harvard the couple miles or so to link the two paths!
I'll be heading down to the ARB4U group ride tonight so I'll take a closer look at the signs. If Harvard/Barranca is closed, I'll just head down Harvard and hop back onto the trail by Michelson/Harvard. The section between the skating rink and the 405 is my least favorite anyways due to all the 15 ft "hills" =D
Elvo is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 04:05 PM
  #6  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Here is the link of Irvine's road constructure/closres. I didn't see that part of the bike path listed...

https://https://www.cityofirvine.org/m...nstruction.htm

There is always some construction taking place. You can always use Harvard until the trail opens up again.
Bike path construction won't show up on their map. I emailed a city engineer or someone and they said that construction is typically done by private companies and is why it doesn't show up on that site.

Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
That's not the section I am talking about. That's around the BackBay. I have rode that section the past couple of days and done the dismount thing twice. Actually FOUR times since I went back that way too! I agree that it's a buzzkill but it's better than climbing for me!

Looking at the signs today more closely it is the Peters Canyon Trail that is closing for 6 months. It appears to be right around the Skating Rink on Barranca and winding around towards The District. Perhaps they are finally going to complete that section so that you won't need to ride on Harvard the couple miles or so to link the two paths!
That would be nice. I think they have the spur trail open along Warner, but there are several underpasses that need to be fixed, built. The problem is from Warner to the railroad tracks, it is Tustin so who knows when/if it will be built. Last time I went that way I got a slow leak and haven't been that way since.
snowman40 is offline  
Old 07-13-11, 04:08 PM
  #7  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
I'll be heading down to the ARB4U group ride tonight so I'll take a closer look at the signs. If Harvard/Barranca is closed, I'll just head down Harvard and hop back onto the trail by Michelson/Harvard. The section between the skating rink and the 405 is my least favorite anyways due to all the 15 ft "hills" =D
They aren't that bad, you just need to keep your momentum going....of course, I ride that way to work/home. YMMV.

The signs say Peters Canyon Trial, and that is up Harvard near the RR tracks all the way to Portola.
snowman40 is offline  
Old 07-18-11, 11:35 AM
  #8  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was just there this weekend. The closure is on the small bike trail off Harvard that goes behind hte District. The signs are at Barranca and Harvard saying use the San Diego Creek trail as an alternative. There is no construction scheduled for Barranca and Harvard and the SD Trail is not scheduled to be closed.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-18-11, 03:24 PM
  #9  
RStewinCA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine
Posts: 13

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Was just there this weekend. The closure is on the small bike trail off Harvard that goes behind hte District. The signs are at Barranca and Harvard saying use the San Diego Creek trail as an alternative. There is no construction scheduled for Barranca and Harvard and the SD Trail is not scheduled to be closed.
FYI: I road down the trail today in the 10:30-noon time frame. There is now a sign on the southwest corner of Harvard/Barranca indicating a bike detour down Harvard (south). Given the placement of the orange signs announcing the dates of the closing, I would guess that the path from that corner heading past Bill Barber Park and down to Back Bay would be affected. (I hope I am wrong.) Coming back inland I never saw any closure signs.

As for the Back Bay Drive part of the path: They resealed San Joaquin Hills Road down to the Back Bay Drive intersection. They have also resealed the outside one third (gutter to the bike lane) of Back Bay Drive from Jamboree down to Shellmaker Road (where Back Bay Drive becomes one way for cars). There is still an unsealed lane that allows you to link to the path behind the Newport Dunes campground.
RStewinCA is offline  
Old 07-18-11, 05:47 PM
  #10  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed the guy in charge of Construction traffic to see what the deal is. I haven't heard back from him or someone else as of yet.
snowman40 is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 12:03 PM
  #11  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have an update on what parts are closed? The San Diego Creek Trail was open this morning (730ish).
snowman40 is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 02:21 PM
  #12  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RStewinCA View Post
FYI: I road down the trail today in the 10:30-noon time frame. There is now a sign on the southwest corner of Harvard/Barranca indicating a bike detour down Harvard (south). Given the placement of the orange signs announcing the dates of the closing, I would guess that the path from that corner heading past Bill Barber Park and down to Back Bay would be affected. (I hope I am wrong.) Coming back inland I never saw any closure signs.

.
It helps to stop and read the signs. The closure is of the Peters Canyon trail. The San Diego Creek trail (which is the one that runs along Barranca) is destinated as the alternative and the sign says so. Of course I can be wrong...
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 02:22 PM
  #13  
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,803

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40 View Post
Anyone have an update on what parts are closed? The San Diego Creek Trail was open this morning (730ish).
People are confused - the SD trail is not closed - its the Peters Canyon Trail (off of Harvard) that is to be closed.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 02:59 PM
  #14  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
People are confused - the SD trail is not closed - its the Peters Canyon Trail (off of Harvard) that is to be closed.
I know people are, I'm not. Peters Canyon is broken into 2 pieces. There is a part right there near the hockey rink, and that goes to about/near the railroad tracks, though the last time I was rode that, it only went to the other side of Warner. The other portion starts/ends at Harvard (near the RR crossing) and goes up to Portola. The Irvine portion of the trail is complete, but the Tustin (which is between Warner and RR tracks) isn't. The confusing thing is I think all of the trails in that area are called Mountain to Sea trail, but I've never stopped and looked to see how specific the maps were on the ones with maps.

It would seem to me they are just doing a corridor cleanup, but who knows.
snowman40 is offline  
Old 07-19-11, 03:13 PM
  #15  
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 6,186

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
People are confused - the SD trail is not closed - its the Peters Canyon Trail (off of Harvard) that is to be closed.
Thanks Pam, for the clarification.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
fthomas
Southern California
0
10-24-15 06:30 PM
zzOtherlandzz
Southeast
6
09-29-13 04:00 PM
zzOtherlandzz
Southeast
2
08-06-11 12:13 AM
TrekDen
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
1
10-17-10 07:52 AM
Speedwagon98
Mountain - Plains
10
10-16-10 11:00 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.