Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/)
-   -   Painted bike lanes?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/southern-california/782811-painted-bike-lanes.html)

sojourn 11-21-11 09:10 AM

Painted bike lanes??
 
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4835734.story

The concept is appealing BUT I don't know about riding on paint. At an additional $50K per mile for painting, I think the folks who pay for this are getting screwed.
I would rather the powers that be maintain the roads so that all users benefit.
The cost for bicycle lanes (in this case at least) are ridiculous!

haaseg 11-21-11 10:03 AM

Oh I agree... the roads are slippery enough around here when it rains... that painted bike lane is going to be a nightmare.

snowman40 11-21-11 12:58 PM

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-11/66228038.jpg

Why, I know why it is $50k a mile, you have one guy holding something up to get that nice clean line for the lane....almost forgot, 4 trucks and 2 guys working apparently.

I'd prefer wide green strips marking the lane and not necessarily an entire lane painted....that looks to be slippery when wet and covered in leaves.

How many potholes could be fixed with all the money spent on sharrows?

Rumpled 11-21-11 02:05 PM

I've ridden on the green sharrows in LB with a bit of dew. I was a bit apprehensive, but traction seemed fine.
YMMV
You think LADOT might be a bit better than spray paint and cardboard? Maybe they should have some stencils or better equipment.

knowledgdropper 11-21-11 08:50 PM

I've ridden the LB sharrows during and immediately after a downpour a few times. Traction has been fine for me.

Jaguar27 11-22-11 01:21 AM


Originally Posted by snowman40 (Post 13517758)
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-11/66228038.jpg

Why, I know why it is $50k a mile, you have one guy holding something up to get that nice clean line for the lane....almost forgot, 4 trucks and 2 guys working apparently.

I'd prefer wide green strips marking the lane and not necessarily an entire lane painted....that looks to be slippery when wet and covered in leaves.

How many potholes could be fixed with all the money spent on sharrows?

AAAGGHH!! The Guy on the right has no feet!!

sojourn 11-22-11 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by Rumpled (Post 13518029)
I've ridden on the green sharrows in LB with a bit of dew. I was a bit apprehensive, but traction seemed fine.
YMMV
You think LADOT might be a bit better than spray paint and cardboard? Maybe they should have some stencils or better equipment.


Originally Posted by knowledgdropper (Post 13519728)
I've ridden the LB sharrows during and immediately after a downpour a few times. Traction has been fine for me.

Was it worth $50,000 per mile for the billpayers?

sojourn 11-22-11 08:53 AM

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-11/66228038.jpg

"I can't believe we're using Soylent Green on this project"

"I hear you, with using it and our wages, it's gotta be adden up to what, $50 thousand a mile"??

snowman40 11-22-11 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by sojourn (Post 13521149)
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-11/66228038.jpg

"I can't believe we're using Soylent Green on this project"

"I hear you, with using it and our wages, it's gotta be adden up to what, $50 thousand a mile"??

KFI reported it costing $150,000 per mile. $50000 of that was for the paint.....you voters need to fire some everyone. It would look better if it was just green lane markers....

Rumpled 11-22-11 03:11 PM

Reading the whole article, I did not like the comment by some bureacrat type that cyclists will be required to ride in the bike lane.
Is that really the law?

snowman40 11-22-11 03:14 PM


Originally Posted by Rumpled (Post 13522684)
Reading the whole article, I did not like the comment by some bureacrat type that cyclists will be required to ride in the bike lane.
Is that really the law?

I think the vehicle code says if there is a bike lane, you are to ride in it if it is safe. This excludes using the left turn lane.

weshigh 11-22-11 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by haaseg (Post 13517065)
Oh I agree... the roads are slippery enough around here when it rains... that painted bike lane is going to be a nightmare.

They don't use normal paint. Its special paint for this purpose that has traction when wet.
http://ladotbikeblog.wordpress.com/2...en-bike-lanes/

jabantik00 11-23-11 12:19 PM

$50k/mi seems a bit high, i don't know. i would guess a lot of other **** costs too much money too. considering how much we spend in money, land, oil/resources, and lives on cars, i think any money spent to promote safer bicycling is money well wasted. ride your bike. f cars

weshigh 11-23-11 12:27 PM

$50k/mi is also less than $9.50 a foot. That doesn't seem that unreasonable. They have to buy paint, and then pay someone to apply it. A mile is a long way to paint a line.

jabantik00 11-23-11 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by weshigh (Post 13526125)
$50k/mi is also less than $9.50 a foot. That doesn't seem that unreasonable. They have to buy paint, and then pay someone to apply it. A mile is a long way to paint a line.

there you go - it's cheap! /thread

haaseg 11-23-11 02:25 PM

It's not just a foot... It's like 4 square feet. But still... You can hire a professional painter to paint your house for much less than $1/sq ft.

weshigh 11-23-11 02:39 PM

Lt Pike does not work for free.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...32581055_n.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.