Notices
Southern California Southern California

Cyclist down in Irvine.

Old 02-14-12, 06:24 PM
  #1  
Jed19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cyclist down in Irvine.

I just read that a cyclist went down in Irvine this morning.

https://www.ocregister.com/news/bicyc...ies-crash.html

Please pray for him and his family.
Jed19 is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 07:32 PM
  #2  
mjsocal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 132

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
I just read that a cyclist went down in Irvine this morning.

https://www.ocregister.com/news/bicyc...ies-crash.html

Please pray for him and his family.
That I will. This is very sad and I really hope he makes it.

That's the business area near lakeshore towers huh? I hope this wasn't someone late to work, speeding and not paying attention during morning rush hour.
mjsocal is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 08:02 PM
  #3  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjsocal View Post
That's the business area near lakeshore towers huh? I hope this wasn't someone late to work, speeding and not paying attention during morning rush hour.


Yeah, the rider.
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 08:07 PM
  #4  
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 16,065

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I read the article, and the driver did stick around. Not bad for a 20 year old kid. Speaks well of him and his honor.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:33 PM
  #5  
mjsocal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 132

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I read the article, and the driver did stick around. Not bad for a 20 year old kid. Speaks well of him and his honor.
I know what you mean. A few cyclists have told me some horror stories they've witnessed or heard of, so I understand what you're saying. I do appreciate honor and integrity...it's a nice thing to be around. I hope he has it.

All that aside, I just want him alive. So hard for family to lose someone. It's heartbreaking.

Last edited by mjsocal; 02-15-12 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Correcting for you TrojanHorse
mjsocal is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:36 PM
  #6  
SKV11000
++++++
 
SKV11000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was a brother-in-law of a co-worker. I regret to say that they were waiting for his family to show up so they could halt life support.

That's what we heard around the office.
SKV11000 is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:36 PM
  #7  
CbadRider
Senior Member
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Posts: 5,935

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the comments are saying he didn't make it.
__________________
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:42 PM
  #8  
Accordion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The comments say that he did not make it. Also that he was "talking on a cell phone or listening to music because he had a headset on" , didn't have a helmet and also ran through the red light.

28 is really young. Very sad. I know I've spaced out before thinking of something as I was riding my bike. Terrible.
Accordion is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:46 PM
  #9  
mjsocal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 132

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn it.

Sorry I get so emotional.
mjsocal is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 09:59 PM
  #10  
Accordion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I read the article, and the driver did stick around. Not bad for a 20 year old kid. Speaks well of him and his honor.
I know what you are saying with this comment but I think it's representative of the sad state of our morality in these times to actually say that somebody did the right thing by sticking around after another human being crashes through their windshield at 40mph and then falls to the ground motionless. The fact that most of the time the driver DOES leave the scene is so unreal to me.

To me it's like saying somebody showed great restraint and honor by not punching his child when he wet the bed.
Accordion is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 10:07 PM
  #11  
Schwerelos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My office overlooks that corner so I drove by the aftermath this morning, but after those involved were gone. It was a very bad accident, must have happed at a high speed. The roof of the car was dented and the windshield was shattered, we saw it get towed away at lunchtime.

I feel so bad for his family. And I've firmly resolved not to run yellows late which sometimes leave you in the intersection on red. Not that that's what happened but that's the closeset I get.
Schwerelos is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 10:36 PM
  #12  
mjsocal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 132

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
I know what you are saying with this comment but I think it's representative of the sad state of our morality in these times to actually say that somebody did the right thing by sticking around after another human being crashes through their windshield at 40mph and then falls to the ground motionless. The fact that most of the time the driver DOES leave the scene is so unreal to me.

To me it's like saying somebody showed great restraint and honor by not punching his child when he wet the bed.
I get your point but at least he didn't lie or try to cover up what really happened. Well I guess that remains to be seen so maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Last edited by mjsocal; 02-14-12 at 10:37 PM. Reason: As usual
mjsocal is offline  
Old 02-14-12, 11:20 PM
  #13  
Jed19
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very sad that he did not make it. I understand he has a young wife too.

May God give his family and friends succour and the fortitude to bear this loss.

Be careful out there all.
Jed19 is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 02:00 AM
  #14  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Why the heck is the status of his helmet so important to this story? If it was high speed, he could have worn all the helmets I've ever bought to no avail.

What a tragedy.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 09:39 AM
  #15  
Accordion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Why the heck is the status of his helmet so important to this story? If it was high speed, he could have worn all the helmets I've ever bought to no avail.

What a tragedy.
Not necessarily. We don't know that. What if the main point of impact was his head and the windshield and a helmet could have significantly reduced the injuries sustained from that impact.

I know when I got hit last August the ONE thing I recall vividly was my helmet snapping into the curb and pretty high speed. I know this because I actually laughed to my self right when it happened that my helmet really worked. I hate to think what would have happened if that was my head that thumped the curb.
Accordion is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 09:44 AM
  #16  
idoru2005
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
Not necessarily. We don't know that. What if the main point of impact was his head and the windshield and a helmet could have significantly reduced the injuries sustained from that impact.

I know when I got hit last August the ONE thing I recall vividly was my helmet snapping into the curb and pretty high speed. I know this because I actually laughed to my self right when it happened that my helmet really worked. I hate to think what would have happened if that was my head that thumped the curb.
I wonder if the driver was wearing his seatbelt...
idoru2005 is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 10:43 AM
  #17  
Accordion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by idoru2005 View Post
I wonder if the driver was wearing his seatbelt...
I don't know anybody that doesn't wear a seatbelt anymore...that one is a no-brainer...
Accordion is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 11:04 AM
  #18  
idoru2005
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
I don't know anybody that doesn't wear a seatbelt anymore...that one is a no-brainer...
I was being facetious...

From the comments on the OC Register story, I just learned the rider was not a "roadie". An eyewitness says that the bike was a hybrid or mtb. Not saying that roadies are more responsible or more safe when it comes to riding. But one thing I have noticed about hybrid or mtb riders is that they are more likely to be doing things that are generally considered to be unsafe, like riding on sidewalks and riding on the wrong side of the street. They are more lackadaisical and lax about taking things cautiously. There are absolutely no details about the accident mentioned in the article, so we don't know if that's the case here.
idoru2005 is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 11:42 AM
  #19  
Schwerelos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idoru2005 View Post
I was being facetious...

From the comments on the OC Register story, I just learned the rider was not a "roadie". An eyewitness says that the bike was a hybrid or mtb. Not saying that roadies are more responsible or more safe when it comes to riding. But one thing I have noticed about hybrid or mtb riders is that they are more likely to be doing things that are generally considered to be unsafe, like riding on sidewalks and riding on the wrong side of the street. They are more lackadaisical and lax about taking things cautiously. There are absolutely no details about the accident mentioned in the article, so we don't know if that's the case here.
Also from the comments he was Mormon and had done his mission which generally means riding around a lot on a bike because they can't drive while on their mission. We can't know that for sure what his experience level was, as you said, but he probably wasn't a total newbie.

Based on the comments of witness and what I saw of the car and scene, I feel that he outright ran the red light because he was distracted or miscalculated when running a yellow. He was hit at speed, but my comment about high speed is probably misleading. It has hard enough to throw him into the air so that he landed on the roof of the car. I'm not sure at what speed that would happen.

What a tragic accident.
Schwerelos is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 12:21 PM
  #20  
Accordion
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County - SoCal
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schwerelos View Post
Also from the comments he was Mormon and had done his mission which generally means riding around a lot on a bike because they can't drive while on their mission. We can't know that for sure what his experience level was, as you said, but he probably wasn't a total newbie.

Based on the comments of witness and what I saw of the car and scene, I feel that he outright ran the red light because he was distracted or miscalculated when running a yellow. He was hit at speed, but my comment about high speed is probably misleading. It has hard enough to throw him into the air so that he landed on the roof of the car. I'm not sure at what speed that would happen.

What a tragic accident.
Incorrect.
Accordion is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 12:39 PM
  #21  
Schwerelos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
Incorrect.

You're right, sorry, I was confusing something a Mormon friend told me.
Schwerelos is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 01:00 PM
  #22  
mjsocal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 132

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idoru2005 View Post
An eyewitness says that the bike was a hybrid or mtb. Not saying that roadies are more responsible or more safe when it comes to riding. But one thing I have noticed about hybrid or mtb riders is that they are more likely to be doing things that are generally considered to be unsafe, like riding on sidewalks and riding on the wrong side of the street.
I get what you're saying but please be careful out of respect for non-descript looking cyclists who are actually certified. They exist. They just don't value flash. I know of this snobby cyclist who completely misinterpreted a cyclist's capabilities based on bike and clothing. It was so gross to hear and so misinformed. Bad profiling. Bleck!

I don't mean this disrespectfully towards you.
mjsocal is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 01:01 PM
  #23  
snowman40
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Why the heck is the status of his helmet so important to this story? If it was high speed, he could have worn all the helmets I've ever bought to no avail.

What a tragedy.
No one should ride through that section of Von Karmen, to many cars trying to get into those lots.

Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
Not necessarily. We don't know that. What if the main point of impact was his head and the windshield and a helmet could have significantly reduced the injuries sustained from that impact.

I know when I got hit last August the ONE thing I recall vividly was my helmet snapping into the curb and pretty high speed. I know this because I actually laughed to my self right when it happened that my helmet really worked. I hate to think what would have happened if that was my head that thumped the curb.
We don't know though. I do know that stretch is a 35/40 zone and the road is barely wide enough for the traffic lanes. I used to drive to work that way, but stopped because of the added stress from the red light runners, tailgaters and generally cramped environment.

Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
I don't know anybody that doesn't wear a seatbelt anymore...that one is a no-brainer...
My wife doesn't unless me or the kids make her.
snowman40 is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 03:54 PM
  #24  
CACycling
Senior Member
 
CACycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,565

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
I know when I got hit last August the ONE thing I recall vividly was my helmet snapping into the curb and pretty high speed. I know this because I actually laughed to my self right when it happened that my helmet really worked. I hate to think what would have happened if that was my head that thumped the curb.
Had about the same thoughts when I was hit last October as my hemet was slamming into the pavement. Clavicle broke, helmet broke, skull stayed intact.
CACycling is offline  
Old 02-15-12, 11:56 PM
  #25  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
OK, I wasn't trying to start a helmet-no helmet debate or argument (really) but it seems odd that the status of his helmet was the only thing the story really covered. Lots of conflicting information floating around, it seems.
TrojanHorse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.