Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Ciclavia Returns Very Soon Again This Fall

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Ciclavia Returns Very Soon Again This Fall

Old 09-19-12, 07:59 PM
  #1  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ciclavia Returns Very Soon Again This Fall

"...........The next CicLAvia is less than a month away.......LA's biggest block party returns on Sunday, October 7 – one week after Carmageddon II and one week before the dramatic arrival of the space shuttle Endeavour. It’s a car-free trifecta for Los Angeles!........We’re particularly excited about this CicLAvia because we’ve developed a new route featuring some of our city's most amazing destinations. For the first time, we’re going to Exposition Park, Chinatown, Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights, and the newly completed Grand Park downtown, where CicLAvia will converge with the inaugural celebration of the park’s performance lawn........The upcoming CicLAvia also includes many longtime favorites, such as MacArthur Park, the ride to and through downtown along 7th and Spring Streets, Little Tokyo, and, of course, the 4th Street Bridge – with its million-dollar view of the downtown skyline. As always, CicLAvia will also offer a wide variety of activities for people of all interests and ages, including music, performances, food trucks galore, and just about everything else L.A. has to offer!......."-https://www.ciclavia.org/next-event/

Printable Map: https://www.ciclavia.org/files/100712_map_FINAL-8432.pdf

So there you have it. I don't need to add anything else except if you are in the area (visiting or residing), do come!
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 09-19-12, 09:24 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one last one fell on my birthday and 10 members of my family spent the day riding around to celebrate. It was awesome. I'll definitely be there next month.
Wildewinds is offline  
Old 09-20-12, 01:42 PM
  #3  
velo-dilettante
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,316

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
yup yup. ciclavía time! coming up from san diego again. looking forward to a (partially) new route. love this rolling block party. such a great way to discover the hidden charms of los angeles.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-20-12, 10:04 PM
  #4  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A added big plus is there is more to see as there are more closed off streets this time around.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 11:01 AM
  #5  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One week from today and counting.....do come if you can!
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 04:03 PM
  #6  
Grammar Cop
 
Condorita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Papa Smurf's Lair
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: in my sig line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm planning to be there!
Condorita is offline  
Old 09-30-12, 07:51 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely going. Different route from last time, and I'm going to buy a raffle ticket this time.

Really looking forward to it.
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 06:58 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 7,085

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
Definitely going. Different route from last time, and I'm going to buy a raffle ticket this time.

Really looking forward to it.
Is there a raffle? I looked at this year's web site and cannot find a raffle ticket thing.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 08:07 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Is there a raffle? I looked at this year's web site and cannot find a raffle ticket thing.

see you all there
Johnonaschwinn is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 11:00 AM
  #10  
Ns1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know if I can rent a tandem from anywhere?
Ns1 is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 12:18 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: In the OC
Posts: 50

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy Adv 1; Davidson all steel single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any thoughts from you insiders on the best place to park if you're coming from OC?
blknyt is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 12:25 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,770
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by blknyt
Any thoughts from you insiders on the best place to park if you're coming from OC?
Park in Alhambra/Pasadena and ride there or take the gold line.
Elvo is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 03:07 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Is there a raffle? I looked at this year's web site and cannot find a raffle ticket thing.
https://www.ciclavia.org/blog/612/best-raffle-ever
BigglyPuff is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 03:36 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: In the OC
Posts: 50

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy Adv 1; Davidson all steel single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Park in Alhambra/Pasadena and ride there or take the gold line.
Great. Thanks Elvo!

I'm bringing down several friends who aren't serious cyclists so the gold line sounds perfect!

Any issues getting bikes on board the train?
blknyt is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 05:23 PM
  #15  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ns1
Anyone know if I can rent a tandem from anywhere?
The Flying Pigeon Bike Shop is selling off it's Ciclavia rental fleet-one of which is a mountain bike tandem. Here is the article post and contact the shop for more information-https://flyingpigeon-la.com/2012/09/p...via-sale-2012/.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 05:28 PM
  #16  
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blknyt
Great. Thanks Elvo!

I'm bringing down several friends who aren't serious cyclists so the gold line sounds perfect!

Any issues getting bikes on board the train?
I would go and leave extra early to avoid the huge crowds that always are there. Usually more train cars are added, but in spite of that, there is very severe overcrowding and many bikes and their owners are left behind at times.
folder fanatic is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 05:59 PM
  #17  
Ns1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
The Flying Pigeon Bike Shop is selling off it's Ciclavia rental fleet-one of which is a mountain bike tandem. Here is the article post and contact the shop for more information-https://flyingpigeon-la.com/2012/09/p...via-sale-2012/.
thanks, but I don't really wanna drop $300 on a tandem that I can't store lol
Ns1 is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 09:54 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Covina, CA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blknyt
I'm bringing down several friends who aren't serious cyclists so the gold line sounds perfect!

Any issues getting bikes on board the train?
We tried to get on the Red line train last April and they wouldn't let us on with our bikes since they were full. Probably not as bad on the Gold line, but have a back up plan just in case.
Wildewinds is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 10:04 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
plenty of room on the gold line for Ciclavia earlier this year... hopefully it will be the same
there are hard to see bike icons on the train... but just stay at the ends and you will be ok
cruiserhead is offline  
Old 10-01-12, 11:26 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure to bring an adequate amount of your own water (remembers old thread on here... lol)
mrflip69 is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 12:27 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,770
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I'll be there! I was actually on one of the flyers for the last event...they snapped a multicultural pic with 2 asians, a white dude, and a hispanic dude all on different types of bikes.
Elvo is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 02:16 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Astrozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East L.A.
Posts: 903

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Wait a minute.....the gold line doesn't run through Alhambra! I don't expect my end of the line to get that crowded but if it does i can just ride there woohoo!
Astrozombie is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 05:38 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 7,085

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I'll be there! I was actually on one of the flyers for the last event...they snapped a multicultural pic with 2 asians, a white dude, and a hispanic dude all on different types of bikes.
No dudettets?
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 09:26 AM
  #24  
Grammar Cop
 
Condorita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Papa Smurf's Lair
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: in my sig line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blknyt
Any thoughts from you insiders on the best place to park if you're coming from OC?
Norwalk Green Line, off Imperial and Studebaker, next to the 605. To the Blue Line. To downtown, or to wherever you decide to get off. Looks like, on the map I printed out, that Grand Station is closest to the Figueroa leg, but if you take the Blue Line to Pico Station, you can transfer to the Light Blue (Expo) Line to go to Exposition Park Station, which is the southern-most hub on the Figueroa leg.

I usually take I-5 to Imperial, then west on Imperial, south on Hoxie into the park'n'ride (coming from Anaheim just off I-5). If you're coming up the 605, exit Imperial and go right (you're actually exiting onto Hoxie). It'd sure be nice if OCTA would run an express bus from the Fullerton park'n'ride to the Green Line station.

They've eliminated the paper tickets, and with that elimination, the $5 All Day ticket. You'll have to buy a TAP card and load it. But it can be re-loaded, too. There's a $1 penalty if you go a year before you use the TAP card again. Not much danger of that for me if the NHL ever starts working again!

(technically, I'll be coming from the 7-11 at Orangethorpe and Manchester/Auto Center Dr)

Last edited by Condorita; 10-02-12 at 09:30 AM.
Condorita is offline  
Old 10-02-12, 08:45 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,770
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Norwalk Green Line, off Imperial and Studebaker, next to the 605. To the Blue Line. To downtown, or to wherever you decide to get off. Looks like, on the map I printed out, that Grand Station is closest to the Figueroa leg, but if you take the Blue Line to Pico Station, you can transfer to the Light Blue (Expo) Line to go to Exposition Park Station, which is the southern-most hub on the Figueroa leg.

I usually take I-5 to Imperial, then west on Imperial, south on Hoxie into the park'n'ride (coming from Anaheim just off I-5). If you're coming up the 605, exit Imperial and go right (you're actually exiting onto Hoxie). It'd sure be nice if OCTA would run an express bus from the Fullerton park'n'ride to the Green Line station.

They've eliminated the paper tickets, and with that elimination, the $5 All Day ticket. You'll have to buy a TAP card and load it. But it can be re-loaded, too. There's a $1 penalty if you go a year before you use the TAP card again. Not much danger of that for me if the NHL ever starts working again!

(technically, I'll be coming from the 7-11 at Orangethorpe and Manchester/Auto Center Dr)
I live in Irvine and will be parking in Alhambra, CA near my dad's house. I take Huntington to Broadway.
Elvo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.