Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Anyone headed to the Solvang Prelude?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Anyone headed to the Solvang Prelude?

Old 10-30-12, 01:54 AM
  #1  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Anyone headed to the Solvang Prelude?

Which should now be called, The Solvang Prelude of Buellton, lol. I guess it had to move out of Solvang. Same route as past years--start and finish location change switches the order of streets a bit. I'm doing the 50 as I thought the out-and-back sections added to make 62 for the metric were lame. If I want add'l miles might repeat a couple climbs or something. Good luck if you're going!
bikeme is offline  
Old 10-30-12, 05:53 AM
  #2  
TJClay
Senior Member
 
TJClay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Posts: 473

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'll be there, doing the metric......
TJClay is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 01:55 AM
  #3  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay View Post
i'll be there, doing the metric......
Good luck and have a fun ride. The metric route isn't that bad, I didn't mean to sound like it was, lol...I'd actually do it if I wasn't with my wife (the 50 is enough for her).

Do you know when the ride start/finish got moved out of Solvang? The last time I did it was 3 years ago and it was based at the Alisal Resort.
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-06-12, 10:28 AM
  #4  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Just as a follow up, we had a great time there. Weather was chilly as usual in the early AM but warmed nicely towards Los Olivos. Still was chilly over near Happy Canyon SAG--my wife is is pretty lean and her lips and arms were shaking. Made her put her wind jacket back on. Only low point was almost being taken out by a recumbent who didn't stop for a stop sign as he made a right turn into our path. CHP working the event were in good spirits. Even saw one tailing a clueless pack who insisted on riding down the middle of the road on or even over the double yellow. He never lit them up or tweeted the siren. When we went by shaking our heads, he just smiled. I rode the next morning doing a loop around Los Olivos and the weather got a lot drier and warmer--hot actually in the afternoon. Friends told us of an organic walnut farm on Alamo Pintando, south of Roblar. Stop by there if you're in the area. They have super tasty plain and candied ones for sale. Going to try and make the Century in March '13.
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-06-12, 02:52 PM
  #5  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there with some other members of West LA Cycling Club (which is on meetup.com.)
About 3 of us did the metric century, including me. I was in the first group to start at 730am and I was the very last finisher at 345pm (the workers were taking down the finishing line.) I got a flat on my near new Pacela TServe tire, was assisted by SAG and some other riders, and then made a lunch stop at a grocery store and hit 3 SAG stops also. I was just planning on finishing, as this was my first metric century. I found the hills very difficult especially towards the end when I was tired. I'm looking for more metric centuries w/in driving distance of LA that are not any more difficult than this one was. My training for this was just weekly rides up to about 55 miles a day, with some hills ie PV and the Prelude was significantly harder than my typical ride which includes some PV hills but not a great deal of hills along my general route.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-06-12, 11:05 PM
  #6  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA View Post
I was there with some other members of West LA Cycling Club (which is on meetup.com.)
About 3 of us did the metric century, including me. I was in the first group to start at 730am and I was the very last finisher at 345pm (the workers were taking down the finishing line.) I got a flat on my near new Pacela TServe tire, was assisted by SAG and some other riders, and then made a lunch stop at a grocery store and hit 3 SAG stops also. I was just planning on finishing, as this was my first metric century. I found the hills very difficult especially towards the end when I was tired. I'm looking for more metric centuries w/in driving distance of LA that are not any more difficult than this one was. My training for this was just weekly rides up to about 55 miles a day, with some hills ie PV and the Prelude was significantly harder than my typical ride which includes some PV hills but not a great deal of hills along my general route.
Gary, sorry to hear you had a tough time. It sounds like you had enough miles under you. Did you try to ride at a faster pace than usual? There are a lot of false flats along the Prelude route--those slightly uphill yet flat-looking sections. Those can wear one out. This was my second time riding it and I knew what to expect around the corner/down the road which helps. I was in much better shape than my first time which was three years ago.
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-06-12, 11:59 PM
  #7  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made no attempt to ride any faster than comfortable. I just wanted to finish before they shut down the course and i did that. The SAG trucks were watching me. My typical weekly ride has been about 53 miles in course of the day-- 9 mile to the SUN WLACC meetup ride in MDR to PV and back, and then 9 mile back home. That gets in some hills up and down PV but 90% of the ride has no hills.

So my hill training was not great. The hills on the Solvang Prelude were much worse than i was used to in terms of percentage of the ride and also a couple of the hills were pretty steep I felt.

I have only been riding 1.5 years and dropped from 221 down to 185 pounds (so far) at 5'9 and I am on a steel road bike. So my average mph on flats is about 12mph. On hills i just try to get over them. So my average mph of about 10mph biking time on this Solvang Prelude was on track for me.

The WLACC group is mostly slow riders and of the 12 that were on this Solvang trip only 3 or 4 did the 63 mile ride, the others did the shorter rides.

The fact I drove from LA to be there by 530am rather than stay over in Solvang FRI night might have been a factor too. I slept at home 8pm to 130am then left LA about 2am. I got about 6 hours sleep. I didnt want to take FRI off work and pay for 2 nights hotel. I stayed over in Solvang Sat night.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 09:14 AM
  #8  
TJClay
Senior Member
 
TJClay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Posts: 473

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA View Post
I made no attempt to ride any faster than comfortable. I just wanted to finish before they shut down the course and i did that. The SAG trucks were watching me. My typical weekly ride has been about 53 miles in course of the day-- 9 mile to the SUN WLACC meetup ride in MDR to PV and back, and then 9 mile back home. That gets in some hills up and down PV but 90% of the ride has no hills.

So my hill training was not great. The hills on the Solvang Prelude were much worse than i was used to in terms of percentage of the ride and also a couple of the hills were pretty steep I felt.

I have only been riding 1.5 years and dropped from 221 down to 185 pounds (so far) at 5'9 and I am on a steel road bike. So my average mph on flats is about 12mph. On hills i just try to get over them. So my average mph of about 10mph biking time on this Solvang Prelude was on track for me.

The WLACC group is mostly slow riders and of the 12 that were on this Solvang trip only 3 or 4 did the 63 mile ride, the others did the shorter rides.

The fact I drove from LA to be there by 530am rather than stay over in Solvang FRI night might have been a factor too. I slept at home 8pm to 130am then left LA about 2am. I got about 6 hours sleep. I didnt want to take FRI off work and pay for 2 nights hotel. I stayed over in Solvang Sat night.

Gary it sounds like you're doing fine for the amount of time you have been riding and congrads on the weight loss. Try to work on your average speed on your regular rides if you ever want to ride in Orange County on the weekends look me up. It's going to hard to find a metric century with much less climbing then this one had. My computer said about 2700' of gain in 63.3 miles. Tour de Palm Springs has about the same amount in 100 miles if you're ready for a century in February.
We were in the second group in Solvang and finished in 3hrs, 52minutes of ride time for a 15.6 average and 4hr 30minutes total time with one flat. Overall a very good ride with a great organization. I'm a big guy at 6'2", 230 and found the hills very manageable and i'm looking forward to the century in March. We drove up friday afternoon and came home saturday after the ride.
TJClay is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 09:26 AM
  #9  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,198

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA View Post
I was there with some other members of West LA Cycling Club (which is on meetup.com.)
About 3 of us did the metric century, including me. I was in the first group to start at 730am and I was the very last finisher at 345pm (the workers were taking down the finishing line.) I got a flat on my near new Pacela TServe tire, was assisted by SAG and some other riders, and then made a lunch stop at a grocery store and hit 3 SAG stops also. I was just planning on finishing, as this was my first metric century. I found the hills very difficult especially towards the end when I was tired. I'm looking for more metric centuries w/in driving distance of LA that are not any more difficult than this one was. My training for this was just weekly rides up to about 55 miles a day, with some hills ie PV and the Prelude was significantly harder than my typical ride which includes some PV hills but not a great deal of hills along my general route.
Lantern Rouge >>> DNF.

I've earned the coveted Lantern Rouge on a number of centuries, myself.

And no worries about holding up the volunteers. I think you'll find that a lot of those volunteers are out there for people like you ... not the ones who roll though the course at 20+ MPH. I know that's the case with me when I volunteer.

Hills are really just a matter of getting used to them. Ride them more and you'll soon prefer them to the flats. And PV is a great place to do that.

Oh, and congrats at the weight loss. It's all about changing your lifestyle, and it looks like you've done that.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 10:16 AM
  #10  
vermilionx
Senior Member
 
vermilionx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Fernando Valley, LA county
Posts: 908

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gary,

the 65 mile ride i do is not very hilly at all. that should be a metric century.

start at azuza peck road park on the rio hondo bike trail, then go to lario bike path all the way to long beach. then, do some streets in LB to transfer into the san gabriel river bike path back to azuza.

try it out. if you go on a sunday or monday and and im free, i'll join and stay at your pace.
vermilionx is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 11:15 AM
  #11  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vermilionx View Post
gary,

the 65 mile ride i do is not very hilly at all. that should be a metric century.
.


I am up to do that on a SUN. Id prefer not to do that ride alone due to risk of muggings on the paths in some areas. I work MON's. I like to schedule things in advance by email so feel free to email me.

This SUN unless I make other plans I think i will ride from home to the West LA Cycling Club meetup in Marina Del Rey then on to PV with them then do my own thing and go through PV to San Pedro, then take an LA city bus back to USC then bike home. I did this 2 weeks ago. Counting the ride to from home in mid LA it is somewhere around 50 miles i think. I have ridden to San Pedro 2x so far (once s on Western mostly on sidewalks and once going E on Palos Verdes Blvd that turns into 25th St) so arriving in San Pedro is a new thing for me gets out of the same rut of MDR-PV and back.

The Palm Desert Century (and lesser mile) rides 11/10 looks viable for me, looks easier than Solvang Prelude in terms of hills, but i dont want to spend $ for late regisration (about $90 if i do the 60) and make the trip this Sat i dont think.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 11:22 AM
  #12  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay View Post
G if you ever want to ride in Orange County on the weekends look me up..
I am not interested in trying to increase my average speed other than I am planning on setting up a lighter steel framed road bike with a triple crankset (it will probably be about 22 pounds rather than my current one which is somewhere around 25 pounds) and plan on slowly dropping weight (off me). IF you are interested in a ride 40-60 miles on a SAT or SUN planned in advance by email then please email and we'll schedule to do that. My pace would be 10-14 mph on flats and slower on hills. I will make no attempt to ride faster so just telling you. I am not looking to be trained to ride faster. You are a much faster rider based on your Solving Prelude time, about 2x as fast as me. I will slow you down if you keep my pace. Im in this to drop weight not increase my mph.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 08:55 PM
  #13  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA View Post
I am not interested in trying to increase my average speed other than I am planning on setting up a lighter steel framed road bike with a triple crankset (it will probably be about 22 pounds rather than my current one which is somewhere around 25 pounds) and plan on slowly dropping weight (off me). IF you are interested in a ride 40-60 miles on a SAT or SUN planned in advance by email then please email and we'll schedule to do that. My pace would be 10-14 mph on flats and slower on hills. I will make no attempt to ride faster so just telling you. I am not looking to be trained to ride faster. You are a much faster rider based on your Solving Prelude time, about 2x as fast as me. I will slow you down if you keep my pace. Im in this to drop weight not increase my mph.
Gary, to echo the other folks, you did great considering your short riding history. I suggest you rethink not increasing your speed. We're not talking moving from 10-12 mph to 20+. How about shooting for 14-15 mph? Over time, of course. I say this because an increase in speed will burn more fat faster and give you a better aerobic workout too and the best part, shorter time on the bike (i.e. fatigue and aches). I'm on a 2001 steel bike myself and have been back on it for one year exactly. I'd love a newer bike but no $ at the moment. Good luck and have fun riding.
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-07-12, 11:30 PM
  #14  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme View Post
Gary, to echo the other folks, you did great considering your short riding history. I suggest you rethink not increasing your speed. We're not talking moving from 10-12 mph to 20+. How about shooting for 14-15 mph? Over time, of course. I say this because an increase in speed will burn more fat faster and give you a better aerobic workout too and the best part, shorter time on the bike (i.e. fatigue and aches). I'm on a 2001 steel bike myself and have been back on it for one year exactly. I'd love a newer bike but no $ at the moment. Good luck and have fun riding.
Thank you. Actually i am riding a few different bikes, ranging from hybrid to touring to road bikes, all steel framed that i have collected/picked up used. Most of them dont have bike computers and my mph varies by bike and the type of tires, so my knowledge of my mph is incomplete. But I am not too concerned about my mph. It gets slightly faster as time goes by as i increase my fitness level and drop weight. Since this is a hobby some of my bikes are completely setup to ride, with triple cranks, others are not fully setup (ie tires are old, or seat is not good, or i need a taller stem, etc.) so some have computers some don't. I havent wanted to move the computers around bike to bike because i figure over time i will get them all properly setup and get computers for the ones that dont have it, or get rid of some of the bikes etc. The bike i am riding now on the long ride doesnt have a computer. But the next lightest one does but i have a rack and crate mounted on that bike now so obviously i am slower on that one. I have 2 bikes works in progress that will be lighter than my current long-distance bike so i will move on to one of those soon mostly i think.
One of those has a computer already. Once i move onto that bike it will be lighter and have the computer so i will pay more attention to the mph. All i care about in terms of mph is a rough gauge of whether i will be dropped with certain groups and how long it will take me to complete certain rides. I am not making an effort to increase my mph, that just gets faster slowly over time and i am content with that.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-08-12, 08:17 PM
  #15  
bikeme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunny so. cal.
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 21 Posts
Right on! Good luck to you--you're doing great. Like typing--accuracy first, speed increase naturally happens :-)
bikeme is offline  
Old 11-08-12, 10:54 PM
  #16  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert but i do bike, and i read a lot, and i dont think I need to go faster to be comfortable. Right now on my steel bikes, if the fit is good and i have drop bars for different hand positions, and the seat is good, i dont have discomfort on the bike even riding 63 miles. I have done a little riding on aluminum bikes (as compared to my steel bikes) and my feeling (and from my reading) is the aluminum bikes beat me up more-- meaning i get aches and pains more from riding an aluminum bike. Obviously i get fatigued but on my bikes that fit and have drop bars and good seats, i dont get discomfort or aches and pains. So advice that i should ride faster for more comfort i dont agree with. Riding faster than my comfortable mph would definitely make me less comfortable i would feel strained in terms of exertion. One thing i have noticed that makes a differnece to me is crank length. All of my bikes have 170mm crank arms except two that have 175mm. I dont like 175mm. I am 5'9 and have 30" inseam (with pants) and i find 175mm to be less comfortable to pedal than 170mm. So i wont buy any more bikes that arent 170mm and i am considering changing out the 175mm cranks on the bikes i have like that. Also of course i am more comfortable on a bike with a triple crank than a double for wider range of gearing which i need on steep hills. So i dont ride my 2 bikes that dont have triples much, and plan to modify them to put on triples. On this Solvang Prelude ride there is no way i could have done it without the wide range gearing on my bike with the triple crank with a 14-30 freewheel in back.
GaryinLA is offline  
Old 11-09-12, 12:01 AM
  #17  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Keep in mind that 4 hours to go 60 miles is always more comfortable than 6 hours to go 60 miles.

Just saying.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 11-09-12, 10:56 PM
  #18  
GaryinLA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Keep in mind that 4 hours to go 60 miles is always more comfortable than 6 hours to go 60 miles.

Just saying.
I dont think that is necessarily true. I would rather ride a comfortable 6 hours than be overexerted and try to do it in 4.

I dont think time on the bike is inversely correlated with comfort, as you think.

If you arent comfortable being on your bike 6 hours maybe your bike is a bad fit or you need a more comfortable seat. Or maybe your bike is aluminum and gives you a more jolting ride than my steel bikes
GaryinLA is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1989Pre
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
28
07-27-16 10:21 PM
rck
Fifty Plus (50+)
12
06-24-16 08:11 AM
mgb
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
6
10-24-13 09:23 AM
dalameda
Fifty Plus (50+)
10
09-11-13 08:52 AM
gadabout007
Road Cycling
3
05-30-10 11:35 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.