Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Test rode the Trek T2000

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Test rode the Trek T2000

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 05:07 PM
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test rode the Trek T2000

The wife and I tried out a Trek T2000 today. I wanted to try the T1000 but they did not have the 58/46cm size. It was our first try at riding a tandem. After the 30 minute lecture on how to ride these beasts we set out. A little wobbly at first...reminds me of when I learned to ride a bicycle with my Granddad pushing. We quickly got the hang of it and were zooming around the parking lot and up and down the back alley. They handle great at higher speeds...smooth as could be. I couldn't believe how effortless it was to maintain speed. Lot different than a single. Stopping was a near disaster the first time. Second time I figured out to get off the seat first.

This is the largest frame they make. I'm 6'2" and the Rear Admiral is 5'11". The LBS salesman seems to think it fit my wife perfect. Too me it looked really short in the frame. They did have some seat post leftover when they got done sizing it for her. I guess it's just the slope of the top tube. By the time you get to the stoker seat post it is way down there.

Trying out tandems is near impossible. DFW area is a huge market and yet we still only found 1 bike that we could test ride. I'm thinking since the bike felt really good this is the one. Now we're torn on whether to order the T1000 or go with the T2000. I really dig those Bontrager Race Lites but not sure I dig them enough to pop an extra grand. I wish we could test the T1000 but I imagine we'll get the same story as we got everywhere else - 'we're not ordering it unless you buy it'. I love the Red with gold flakes in the paint on the T2000 too. Very pretty bike.

Anyone have any comments on the T1000 vs. the T2000?
Old 05-22-05, 05:45 PM
cbike_47909

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
We have the 2004 version of the T2000 (blue). Have been very satisfied with the bike and dropped around six pounds from the 92 c-dale.
In addition to the nice looking wheels with the 2000 you'll get Ultegra shifters and cranks inlieu of the Tiagra shifters and Bontrager cranks. While I haven't ridden a T1000 and feel pretty sure it's a nice bike I appreciate the various upgrades and looks of the T2000.
Charlie

Old 05-22-05, 07:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow... 6 lbs lighter than a 'dale? Same size? guess aluminum tubing has come a ways in 13 years. What size is you T2000 and what does it weigh? Not that I am in the market...right now. I am trying to lighten up the stoker.....good thing she does not read bikeforums...!!
Old 05-23-05, 03:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
Wow... ...right now. I am trying to lighten up the stoker.....good thing she does not read bikeforums...!!
Be more sociable and take her out for more rides and make her work up the hills. Sorry about that.

Not only is it aluminium that has progressed over the last 13 years, The knowledge of how to use it to build frames has too. The actual material has so many variations and Alloys that strength for strength you can now use less of the material on the wall thickness. On top of that, the builders know the material and the top tubes that used to be non-butted and thick walled, have got to triple butted and quite thin.

Yep, things have progressed a lot in 13 years, but it is still a bunch tubes, two wheels and 2 riders that make a tandem work, not necessarily modern technology.
Old 05-23-05, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Anyone have any comments on the T1000 vs. the T2000?
WE ride a 04 T2000 and absolutely love it as our 1st Tandem