Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic auxiliary brake lever

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Hydraulic auxiliary brake lever

Old 07-07-20, 10:45 PM
  #1  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hydraulic auxiliary brake lever

Hey gang, I'm in the process of planning my upgrade to hydro-Di2, and was thinking about the advantages of running cx style aux. brake leavers on the bar top. I see that Shimano has their GRX BL RX812 units and wanted to see if anyone was running those or some other producers version therein, and challenges they may have had in integrating them into the system.

thanks!
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 07-10-20, 08:19 AM
  #2  
bikeinxs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 146

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Have you ever ridden with the auxiliary brakes? I tried them a few years ago when they were first "in style". It seemed like a good idea but I didn't keep them on for long. If you are doing any real braking you are inevitably shifting gears as well which is the whole point of combining the two functions in one lever. The hydraulic brakes are so powerful that I find it very easy to effectively feather the brakes with my hands on the hoods. I didn't think the extra levers were worth the hassle.
bikeinxs is offline  
Old 07-12-20, 01:00 PM
  #3  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...L-RX812-L.html

never heard of them until now .. go for it ! why seek handholding?


I have a cantilever braked cyclocross style bike with the brake cable housing interrupter levers,, that is a clever piece..

put a lever for a 3rd brake in the stoker's control?




..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-12-20 at 01:06 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-12-20, 11:55 PM
  #4  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's no so much that I need hand-holding, rather, wanting to know if anyone has used them, and if they have found them of value. I'm on my way up from mechanical to hydro on the tandem (I've been using hydro on my long-tail & half bike for years now), and am exploring all the options.

Re: stoker control of it. My initial thought was "yikes!" but then I guess some teams do run the old drum brakes via stoker control, so i guess it could be done. Probably not my cup of tea however.
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 07-14-20, 01:04 PM
  #5  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
As usual find and read the manuals..

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...L-RX812-L.html
1) https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GADBR01-02-ENG.pdf

2) https://si.shimano.com/#/en/iDM/GADB...PORTANT_NOTICE
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 08:31 AM
  #6  
bikeinxs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 146

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post

Re: stoker control of it. My initial thought was "yikes!" but then I guess some teams do run the old drum brakes via stoker control, so i guess it could be done. Probably not my cup of tea however.
What a scary thought. I can just see coming into a corner a bit hotter than the stoker likes and then crashing because the stoker locked down on the brake. Wouldn't have mattered with drum brakes because they were fairly ineffective but with a modern hydraulic brake the stoker could do some serious damage.
bikeinxs is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 10:28 AM
  #7  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
huh, Shimano's stating that their hydro systems are not tandem compatible. Interesting. Well whatever, still doing it.
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 05:45 PM
  #8  
bikeinxs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 146

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
huh, Shimano's stating that their hydro systems are not tandem compatible. Interesting. Well whatever, still doing it.
Weird. My bike was built up for me by someone from Shimano Canada with a similar configuration to his own tandem. Lawyers need to justify their existence I guess.

There are an awful lot of tandems out there with Shimano disc brakes.

Last edited by bikeinxs; 07-17-20 at 05:48 PM.
bikeinxs is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 11:45 PM
  #9  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh, I think it's probably their way disclaiming any responsibility / protecting themselves. from https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GADBR01-02-ENG.pdf, if you search tandem you'll see this

"SHIMANO disc brake systems are not compatible with tandem bicycles. Because tandem bicycles are heavier, the stress on the brake system increases during brake operation. If hydraulic disc brakes are used with tandem bicycles, the oil temperature will become too high and vapor locks or ruptures in the brake hoses may occur, causing the brakes to fail."

*edit* and to be clear, I'm on hydro for my half-bike and my surley big easy (e-longtail) and have no concerns about moving the tandem to hydro.
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 07-18-20, 12:30 AM
  #10  
ahultin
Senior Member
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Posts: 641

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
oh, I think it's probably their way disclaiming any responsibility / protecting themselves. from https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-GADBR01-02-ENG.pdf, if you search tandem you'll see this

"SHIMANO disc brake systems are not compatible with tandem bicycles. Because tandem bicycles are heavier, the stress on the brake system increases during brake operation. If hydraulic disc brakes are used with tandem bicycles, the oil temperature will become too high and vapor locks or ruptures in the brake hoses may occur, causing the brakes to fail."

*edit* and to be clear, I'm on hydro for my half-bike and my surley big easy (e-longtail) and have no concerns about moving the tandem to hydro.
We are running xtr di2 hydro on a 15 rt2 and have had no negative issues. While I have not been on the tandem with non family , pre covid-19 I road with stokers that resulted in team weights skirting the RT-2s weight limit.
but to the original question, we dont run interrupters
ahultin is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 01:18 PM
  #11  
DangerousDanR
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 403

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 115 Posts
You might want to take Shimano's guidance seriously. The first set of brakes I put on our Ritchey Double Switchback were Hope's E4 "Enduro" mountain bike brakes. I suspect they are more powerful than any road bike brake. They are 4 piston brakes and they have a fairly large swept area. And I had 203 mm rotors. When I needed to make a panic stop on a 10% hill at a speed of 40+ MPH, there was smoke pouring off both rotors and the rear was very, very hot. To say that we had a brake fade issue is an understatement.

OK, blame me. What was I thinking? We were beat, the Scalloway Hotel was waiting with food and beer, the wind was blowing 50 MPH and it was in our favor, and the blind corner on the hill was a wide sweeper. Who would think there would be road construction around a blind corner and the flagger would not be visible on our side of the corner? So, 500 lbs of riders, tandem, and luggage overwhelmed the E4 brakes.

I contacted Hope and was told in no uncertain terms to put the V4 downhill brakes on the tandem. By the way, Thorn has a write-up about their brake setup and why they will only supply a tandem with the Hope V4 brakes. You might want to read it before fitting disc brakes to a tandem. I wish I had.

I now have V4 brakes and the vented rotor in the back with an IceTech in front. Trouble solved. If I ever have a hint of trouble in the future there will be a Wilwood Kart caliper in the back.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 12:05 AM
  #12  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikeinxs View Post
Have you ever ridden with the auxiliary brakes? I tried them a few years ago when they were first "in style". It seemed like a good idea but I didn't keep them on for long. If you are doing any real braking you are inevitably shifting gears as well which is the whole point of combining the two functions in one lever. The hydraulic brakes are so powerful that I find it very easy to effectively feather the brakes with my hands on the hoods. I didn't think the extra levers were worth the hassle.
We've been on a few rides since I posted this question (stupid covid has kept our hydro hose on order...) and so we're still on our cable actuated disk brakes. Anyway, these rides consist of descending down rough logging gravel roads in the PAC West and the point of my inquiry is, do they help? See when I'm coming down a 10 - 18% grade on these rough roads, I'm not in the hoods, I'm in the drops because that provides me with the best mechanical leverage to slow our rig down. My hope with these cross top levers is that I can be in the hoods, controlling my braking and my shifting (where as currently, i'm just trying to not lock up / drop us).
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 08-10-20, 11:04 AM
  #13  
bikeinxs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 146

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
We've been on a few rides since I posted this question (stupid covid has kept our hydro hose on order...) and so we're still on our cable actuated disk brakes. Anyway, these rides consist of descending down rough logging gravel roads in the PAC West and the point of my inquiry is, do they help? See when I'm coming down a 10 - 18% grade on these rough roads, I'm not in the hoods, I'm in the drops because that provides me with the best mechanical leverage to slow our rig down. My hope with these cross top levers is that I can be in the hoods, controlling my braking and my shifting (where as currently, i'm just trying to not lock up / drop us).
You won't be anywhere near the hoods with the extra levers. In fact, your hands will be on the narrow part of the flat bar where you have the least control and no opportunity to shift.
bikeinxs is offline  
Old 08-11-20, 11:30 PM
  #14  
CaptainHaddock
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CaptainHaddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX!
Posts: 281

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikeinxs View Post
You won't be anywhere near the hoods with the extra levers. In fact, your hands will be on the narrow part of the flat bar where you have the least control and no opportunity to shift.
well, yes/no. as mentioned in my op, I'm moving to di2, so given that buttons are/or can be everywhere I want them to be, (left right and center [should I want it]) and things like sycroshift exist, that's not an issue per se...
CaptainHaddock is offline  
Old 08-18-20, 04:12 PM
  #15  
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton ON Canada
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs View Post
. . .The hydraulic brakes are so powerful that I find it very easy to effectively feather the brakes with my hands on the hoods. I didn't think the extra levers were worth the hassle.
Gee, I can do that with my dual-pivot short-reach caliper rim brakes. They must be pretty powerful, too.
conspiratemus1 is offline  
Old 08-18-20, 07:06 PM
  #16  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 844 Posts
Well, with a Tandem.. you will have some long hose to the back disc caliper.. you have to buy more hose and fresh fittings...

good luck getting it leak free..
fietsbob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.