Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help ID old tandem

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Help ID old tandem

Old 07-29-20, 04:47 PM
  #1  
Jimbo1983
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help ID old tandem

Hi I hope it's ok to post this. My sister has picked up and is storing for me an old tandem. I only have one photo of it, and she's not in a position to take anymore currently, and I can't go pick it up yet. So I am trying to do some detective work to learn more about it while I wait.
I have had very little luck finding tandems online with the Mixte stiffener. The only information I have on the bike itself is that it was brought over from England some time ago, so possibly an English or Euro-built frame.
Also the way the top tube is stepped rather than sloping from the captain to the stoker must be a good identifier to someone who knows what they're looking at. I'm just aiming to have a little more knowledge on what I've gotten myself into project-wise (first tandem).



Thanks, apologies if this isn't the place.
Jimbo1983 is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 12:46 AM
  #2  
MikeAndJean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
It looks a lot like a Pogliaghi tandem

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983 View Post
Hi I hope it's ok to post this. My sister has picked up and is storing for me an old tandem. I only have one photo of it, and she's not in a position to take anymore currently, and I can't go pick it up yet. So I am trying to do some detective work to learn more about it while I wait.
I have had very little luck finding tandems online with the Mixte stiffener. The only information I have on the bike itself is that it was brought over from England some time ago, so possibly an English or Euro-built frame.
Also the way the top tube is stepped rather than sloping from the captain to the stoker must be a good identifier to someone who knows what they're looking at. I'm just aiming to have a little more knowledge on what I've gotten myself into project-wise (first tandem).



Thanks, apologies if this isn't the place.
I bought a 70s vintage Pogliaghi tandem frame on eBay for use as a beater. Except for the step on the top tube, it looks almost the same as your bike. That trick for compensating for the different seat tube heights was common with European frame builders in the 70s. We once rode a Bob Jackson that had a step on the top tube.
MikeAndJean is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 02:21 AM
  #3  
Jimbo1983
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh thanks, that's a good place to start. They do look quite similar although I haven't seen any with the mixte stiffener yet.
Jimbo1983 is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 09:25 AM
  #4  
MikeAndJean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983 View Post
Oh thanks, that's a good place to start. They do look quite similar although I haven't seen any with the mixte stiffener yet.


This is the Pogliaghi I mentioned in my earlier message. Like your frame, the split diagonals on my frame don't run from the joints, as they should to be most effective. However, the attachments at the head tubes are very different. Also, my frame has more brazed-on cable stops.
MikeAndJean is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 05:45 PM
  #5  
Jimbo1983
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean View Post


This is the Pogliaghi I mentioned in my earlier message. Like your frame, the split diagonals on my frame don't run from the joints, as they should to be most effective. However, the attachments at the head tubes are very different. Also, my frame has more brazed-on cable stops.
Thanks for the photo, you're right that is quite similar. I'm hoping my sister will be able to go take some photos for me this weekend to help with the clues.
I was looking at some other european builders and Gitane looked like they used Mixte tubes, but they seemed to do two pairs rather than one long run.
Jimbo1983 is offline  
Old 07-31-20, 12:42 PM
  #6  
Markeologist
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Marin County, Alta California
Posts: 36

Bikes: Since new: 1986 Rodriguez Tandem, 1992/93 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 1985 Fisher Comp, 1987 Puch Pro, two 1992 Bridgestone X0-1s; Projects: 1966/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 1960s Bernard Carre, two 1987 Gitane Team Pros, 1978 Ritchey Palo Alto Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983 View Post
Hi I hope it's ok to post this. My sister has picked up and is storing for me an old tandem. I only have one photo of it, and she's not in a position to take anymore currently, and I can't go pick it up yet. So I am trying to do some detective work to learn more about it while I wait.
I have had very little luck finding tandems online with the Mixte stiffener. The only information I have on the bike itself is that it was brought over from England some time ago, so possibly an English or Euro-built frame.
Also the way the top tube is stepped rather than sloping from the captain to the stoker must be a good identifier to someone who knows what they're looking at. I'm just aiming to have a little more knowledge on what I've gotten myself into project-wise (first tandem).



Thanks, apologies if this isn't the place.
That style of frame bracing on a tandem is referred to as twin laterals. Looks very English to me, also a repaint? Here is a Bob Jackson off the inter web.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/f8ee62be-21ef-4dae-aa11-e1fc5ef03f8e[/img]
Markeologist is offline  
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 07-31-20, 08:47 PM
  #7  
Jimbo1983
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another good suggestion, I found some good pictures of bob jacksons very similar. I am waiting to hear back from my sister.
Jimbo1983 is offline  
Old 07-31-20, 09:15 PM
  #8  
MikeAndJean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Our Bob Jackson had that step but the split diagonals ran from the top of the head tube to the rear dropout rather than from the middle of the head tube to part way up the chain stays.



This photo was taken a long time ago (May of 1976) in Tuscany.
MikeAndJean is offline  
Likes For MikeAndJean:
Old 08-03-20, 10:01 PM
  #9  
Jimbo1983
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a great photo, I love seeing history like that.

Sister is hopefully going to get some photos this week.
Jimbo1983 is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 12:12 AM
  #10  
Markeologist
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Marin County, Alta California
Posts: 36

Bikes: Since new: 1986 Rodriguez Tandem, 1992/93 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 1985 Fisher Comp, 1987 Puch Pro, two 1992 Bridgestone X0-1s; Projects: 1966/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 1960s Bernard Carre, two 1987 Gitane Team Pros, 1978 Ritchey Palo Alto Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean View Post
Our Bob Jackson had that step but the split diagonals ran from the top of the head tube to the rear dropout rather than from the middle of the head tube to part way up the chain stays.



This photo was taken a long time ago (May of 1976) in Tuscany.
A quick Google of Bob Jackson tandems and you will find images of tandems with a single set of twin laterals like your old one as well as two sets of twin laterals like the frame in question.
Markeologist is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 12:36 AM
  #11  
MikeAndJean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist View Post
A quick Google of Bob Jackson tandems and you will find images of tandems with a single set of twin laterals like your old one as well as two sets of twin laterals like the frame in question.
Really? All of the frames I could find had two sets of split diagonals (like our old Ritchey frames) but the diagonals seem to always run from lug to dropout rather than from mid tube.
MikeAndJean is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 09:43 AM
  #12  
Markeologist
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Marin County, Alta California
Posts: 36

Bikes: Since new: 1986 Rodriguez Tandem, 1992/93 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 1985 Fisher Comp, 1987 Puch Pro, two 1992 Bridgestone X0-1s; Projects: 1966/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 1960s Bernard Carre, two 1987 Gitane Team Pros, 1978 Ritchey Palo Alto Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean View Post
Really? All of the frames I could find had two sets of split diagonals (like our old Ritchey frames) but the diagonals seem to always run from lug to dropout rather than from mid tube.
My apologies....as my reply indicates, I thought you were referring to the single set of long twin laterals like your early B. Jackson running from head tube to rear dropouts as opposed to two sets of twin laterals (like our Ritcheys), one from head tube to rear bottom bracket, the other from captains seatpost to rear dropouts....I'm following you now, again, my apologies. Interestingly, none of the frames you posted have the single pair of twin laterals running from head tube to rear dropouts like your B. Jackson (the general line followed by what would be called a "Marathon" frame if it were one large tube as opposed to twin smaller tubes). As you know Pogs have very distinctive lugs at head tube, in particular the center lug that adjoins the twin laterals to the head tube. This mystery bike doesn't appear to have that distinctive wrap around lug seen on Pogs...I'm still leaning towards English.
Markeologist is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 11:00 AM
  #13  
MikeAndJean
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist View Post
My apologies....as my reply indicates, I thought you were referring to the single set of long twin laterals like your early B. Jackson running from head tube to rear dropouts as opposed to two sets of twin laterals (like our Ritcheys), one from head tube to rear bottom bracket, the other from captains seatpost to rear dropouts....I'm following you now, again, my apologies. Interestingly, none of the frames you posted have the single pair of twin laterals running from head tube to rear dropouts like your B. Jackson (the general line followed by what would be called a "Marathon" frame if it were one large tube as opposed to twin smaller tubes). As you know Pogs have very distinctive lugs at head tube, in particular the center lug that adjoins the twin laterals to the head tube. This mystery bike doesn't appear to have that distinctive wrap around lug seen on Pogs...I'm still leaning towards English.
Until I followed your sensible suggestion and searched for "Bob Jackson tandems" I had not realized how unusual our old tandem was with its single set of diagonals. It was much stiffer than the older Gitane it replaced. That Gitane would flex a lot when we stood. We called it our "articulating frame." The Bob Jackson was a big improvement but only lasted a few years until the forks broke at the dropout (I mean actually broke). An extra set of diagonals would have made that bike stiffer but it would have done nothing for those inadequate fork blades.

My bet is that the mystery bike is French. Gitane, Peugot and Follis all made tandems, with a variety of configurations, back in the 70s and 80s. My guess is that the mystery bike is a repainted tandem from one of those manufacturers. That rear derailleur looks like an old Huret long-arm derailleur from that era.

Last edited by MikeAndJean; 08-04-20 at 11:05 AM.
MikeAndJean is offline  
Old 08-04-20, 11:35 AM
  #14  
Markeologist
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Marin County, Alta California
Posts: 36

Bikes: Since new: 1986 Rodriguez Tandem, 1992/93 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 1985 Fisher Comp, 1987 Puch Pro, two 1992 Bridgestone X0-1s; Projects: 1966/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 1960s Bernard Carre, two 1987 Gitane Team Pros, 1978 Ritchey Palo Alto Road Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean View Post
Until I followed your sensible suggestion and searched for "Bob Jackson tandems" I had not realized how unusual our old tandem was with its single set of diagonals. It was much stiffer than the older Gitane it replaced. That Gitane would flex a lot when we stood. We called it our "articulating frame." The Bob Jackson was a big improvement but only lasted a few years until the forks broke at the dropout (I mean actually broke). An extra set of diagonals would have made that bike stiffer but it would have done nothing for those inadequate fork blades.

My bet is that the mystery bike is French. Gitane, Peugot and Follis all made tandems, with a variety of configurations, back in the 70s and 80s. My guess is that the mystery bike is a repainted tandem from one of those manufacturers. That rear derailleur looks like an old Huret long-arm derailleur from that era.
Its that step down that makes it look English to me...don't recall seeing that on French tandems...I did a quick Google of Gitane, Peugeot and Follis tandems followed up by Le Juene and Motobecane, and I didn't see a step down on any of them. Mystery frame doesn't look too recent though it has braze ons...check of threads could confirm if it is French....it will probably end up being Japanese!

Many years ago I rode a lovely Gitane tandem, not an intro model but higher end with 531 tubing, double mens with one set of twin laterals running from head tube to rear hub. I have a weak spot for French bikes and tried to buy it but guy wouldn't even consider it (I wouldn't have either).
Markeologist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.