Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trying to Sell CoMotion Trident - Where to reach the Niche Market?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Trying to Sell CoMotion Trident - Where to reach the Niche Market?

Old 05-27-22, 05:50 AM
  #1  
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
Thread Starter
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 735

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to Sell CoMotion Trident - Where to reach the Niche Market?

I've just posted my triple tandem for sale on Craigslist, tandemclassifieds and FB Marketplace, I'm getting nibbles and suspect it is a niche bike that make take awhile to sell. Wondering if ya'll might have tips for where else to reach folks?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...487085747.html
davidmcowan is offline  
Old 05-30-22, 04:09 AM
  #2  
jccaclimber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SFBay
Posts: 2,215

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 96 Times in 76 Posts
I'd say the most common suggestion is tandemclassifieds, You've mentioned the other two common ones. Without knowing how long your listing has been up there are two common issues. Either you're not being patient enough, or you're asking too much. Possibly a combination of both. Triples (and to an extent tandems) have a funny market due to being uncommon. If you need on right now, or need it gone right now, the price is high/low accordingly. Given enough time or luck it'll trend toward the other end.

For comparison, since I've been keeping an eye out for the model you're selling (though with drop bars), and for the slightly more expensive convertible model, for about the past 2 years. I saw nearly your exact model, but with a metallic paint job and more production looking handlebars (this is a good thing IMO) asking just less than what you're asking in the SF Bay area. I don't know if it sold or what it sold for, but I know the listing was constantly refreshed for at least 6 months. As a side note, it was also very well photographed.
I've seen several others of that same model with asking prices between $2k and $3k sell in the 3 month timeframe. Some are set up with drop bars, others with flat. Most have had Shimano 9 or 10 sp shifters, one was similar Campy. One was fully coupled, and a few have been at least partially coupled. This one's been trying to sell for at least a month, has a coupler in the middle, and a lower asking price: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...478365382.html.
jccaclimber is offline  
Old 05-30-22, 04:37 AM
  #3  
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
Thread Starter
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 735

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some great nuggest of wisdom in here, thanks for taking the time to help me think it through. I've taken note on your comments about patience, price, and photos and plan to do something about all three in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
I'd say the most common suggestion is tandemclassifieds, You've mentioned the other two common ones. Without knowing how long your listing has been up there are two common issues. Either you're not being patient enough, or you're asking too much. Possibly a combination of both. Triples (and to an extent tandems) have a funny market due to being uncommon. If you need on right now, or need it gone right now, the price is high/low accordingly. Given enough time or luck it'll trend toward the other end.

For comparison, since I've been keeping an eye out for the model you're selling (though with drop bars), and for the slightly more expensive convertible model, for about the past 2 years. I saw nearly your exact model, but with a metallic paint job and more production looking handlebars (this is a good thing IMO) asking just less than what you're asking in the SF Bay area. I don't know if it sold or what it sold for, but I know the listing was constantly refreshed for at least 6 months. As a side note, it was also very well photographed.
I've seen several others of that same model with asking prices between $2k and $3k sell in the 3 month timeframe. Some are set up with drop bars, others with flat. Most have had Shimano 9 or 10 sp shifters, one was similar Campy. One was fully coupled, and a few have been at least partially coupled. This one's been trying to sell for at least a month, has a coupler in the middle, and a lower asking price: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...478365382.html.
davidmcowan is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 11:52 AM
  #4  
MNBikeCommuter
Senior Member
 
MNBikeCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 773

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmcowan View Post
and suspect it is a niche bike that make take awhile to sell. Wondering if ya'll might have tips for where else to reach folks?
I'm also thinking it's a niche bike. It fits just a small window of time for a growing family, and most are more interested in a trip or two to Dairy Queen during the summer rather than regular family outings. We got a Cannondale tandem with the stoker seat adjustable to fit my wife, and our 10 and 8 year olds. It was challenging to find just one of the three interested in riding the first few years, let alone two. (But 21 years later, the 'dale does have 25k miles on it.)

REI used to have a bulletin board at their entrance for such postings. I can't remember if they still do as I don't frequent the store as often as I used to. That might be a good place to target the right audience--Bloomington and Roseville.
MNBikeCommuter is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 12:30 PM
  #5  
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.
Thread Starter
 
davidmcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 735

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While this is true, there are also plenty of examples of families who do get excited to ride together. I made some tweaks based on comments and i'm fielding a decent number of questions from people who have their interest piqued, we'll see if it is enough to pull the trigger. (I was just at REI yesterday and didn't see much of a board, i completely forgot their might be a way to do this that isn't online. >)
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter View Post
I'm also thinking it's a niche bike. It fits just a small window of time for a growing family, and most are more interested in a trip or two to Dairy Queen during the summer rather than regular family outings. We got a Cannondale tandem with the stoker seat adjustable to fit my wife, and our 10 and 8 year olds. It was challenging to find just one of the three interested in riding the first few years, let alone two. (But 21 years later, the 'dale does have 25k miles on it.)

REI used to have a bulletin board at their entrance for such postings. I can't remember if they still do as I don't frequent the store as often as I used to. That might be a good place to target the right audience--Bloomington and Roseville.
davidmcowan is offline  
Old 05-31-22, 07:35 PM
  #6  
bwebel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am trying to sell ours, which is coupled in the middle like the one on portland craiglist. Asking $3k. Didn't post it incredibly widely, had a couple of nibbles, but didn't sell. I think you just have to post it as widely as you can and hope the right person comes along. I may end up donating ours and just take the tax deduction if it doesn't move by the end of the summer.
bwebel is offline  
Old 06-02-22, 12:03 PM
  #7  
2gether84
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 37

Bikes: 1999 Cannondale RT3000, Trek T-900, Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwebel View Post
I am trying to sell ours, which is coupled in the middle like the one on portland craiglist. Asking $3k. Didn't post it incredibly widely, had a couple of nibbles, but didn't sell. I think you just have to post it as widely as you can and hope the right person comes along. I may end up donating ours and just take the tax deduction if it doesn't move by the end of the summer.
What region of the country are you located in? Thanks!
2gether84 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.