Notices

Routes/Group Rides Houston

Old 06-23-15, 08:40 PM
  #1  
Csdhlhcky
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Routes/Group Rides Houston

Hey guys, new to the city of Houston and looking for some suggestions on good routes. I am just NW of the Washington Ave area and have been riding White Oak Bayou lately, although I am looking for somewhere with a bit more distance.

Also, I am looking for any group rides available. I am 21 years old, and just started cycling last summer so I have only ridden solo previous to now. I feel as my speed and strength are now at a good point to keep up with/contribute to a group!
Csdhlhcky is offline  
Old 06-23-15, 09:47 PM
  #2  
texbiker
Senior Member
 
texbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 771

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX, Blue Norcorss AL,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Houston and Bikeforums. I live in Kingwood to the northeast of downtown. There are several bike shops not too far from you that can help you. There are weekend rides around the area. One club, NWCC has a ride every Saturday. You can see an event calendar at my website (see my signature) for rides all around Texas. Enjoy biking southeast Texas in the summer.
texbiker is offline  
Old 06-24-15, 09:47 AM
  #3  
68venable
Senior Member
 
68venable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 604

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are tons of groups to ride with. One group and route that really strikes me for your area is the Come Ride With Us! Group. They have 3 monthly rides that start near you.

Lake Houston Out N Back - 45 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286057/

The Road West - 44 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286092/

Urban Bridges Ride - 30 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286118/


That is a good group to join. There is varying skill level and they are very helpful and positive. I recommend these type of rides to learn your basic group riding skills before you go do a bike shop ride.

You can also join my group. We are small with generally 3 or 4 of us. But we ride outside of Houston mostly. Pearland on Sunday.

Pearland Ride - 43 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Make-Shift-Hap...nts/223412855/


Tons of rides listed on:
www.Texbiker.net
Upcoming Rides - Bike Barn - Houston, Texas:
https://www.google.com/#q=Houston+area+cycling
68venable is offline  
Old 06-24-15, 10:34 AM
  #4  
Csdhlhcky
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 68venable View Post
There are tons of groups to ride with. One group and route that really strikes me for your area is the Come Ride With Us! Group. They have 3 monthly rides that start near you.

Lake Houston Out N Back - 45 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286057/

The Road West - 44 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286092/

Urban Bridges Ride - 30 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Come-Ride-With...nts/223286118/


That is a good group to join. There is varying skill level and they are very helpful and positive. I recommend these type of rides to learn your basic group riding skills before you go do a bike shop ride.

You can also join my group. We are small with generally 3 or 4 of us. But we ride outside of Houston mostly. Pearland on Sunday.

Pearland Ride - 43 miles
http://www.meetup.com/Make-Shift-Hap...nts/223412855/


Tons of rides listed on:
www.Texbiker.net
Upcoming Rides - Bike Barn - Houston, Texas:
https://www.google.com/#q=Houston+area+cycling

Thanks for the info 68venable. I joined both groups on Meetup, and look forward to getting out for a ride soon.


On another note, the Sh!ft Houston logo is fantastic. Did you design it yourself? I am a graphic designer myself and have a tendency to comment on fine work I see!
Csdhlhcky is offline  
Old 06-24-15, 10:45 AM
  #5  
68venable
Senior Member
 
68venable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 604

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Csdhlhcky View Post
Thanks for the info 68venable. I joined both groups on Meetup, and look forward to getting out for a ride soon.


On another note, the Sh!ft Houston logo is fantastic. Did you design it yourself? I am a graphic designer myself and have a tendency to comment on fine work I see!
I can't take credit for the logo design but I can take credit for having the right friend (a graphic designer), and then approving it when he was done. The whole concept, other than the name, was all him. Coincidentally, he is looking for a job now if you have any leads
68venable is offline  
Old 06-25-15, 07:58 AM
  #6  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
When the flooding water goes down, you can head over to George Bush Park and get plenty of miles in. It's all paved bike-ways far from the road so it's safe. If you add Terry Hershey Park to it, and the Mason Creek Greenway, you can go out and bakc and get 50+ miles easy.
Check this post I made a while ago: http://www.bikeforums.net/texas/9366...l#post16787028
It shows the routes highlighted on some maps from my ride doing that.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 06-25-15, 11:13 AM
  #7  
Csdhlhcky
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 98

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
When the flooding water goes down, you can head over to George Bush Park and get plenty of miles in. It's all paved bike-ways far from the road so it's safe. If you add Terry Hershey Park to it, and the Mason Creek Greenway, you can go out and bakc and get 50+ miles easy.
Check this post I made a while ago: http://www.bikeforums.net/texas/9366...l#post16787028
It shows the routes highlighted on some maps from my ride doing that.
Some very cool routes, definitely will have to check those out. Any idea when those flood waters will recede?
Csdhlhcky is offline  
Old 06-25-15, 09:13 PM
  #8  
Tdinotx
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Rosenberg, Tx
Posts: 26

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If we don't get any more torrential rains for a little while, it shouldn't take too long with this heat.
Tdinotx is offline  
Old 06-26-15, 09:59 AM
  #9  
Mindcrime
Senior Member
 
Mindcrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 283

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another upvode for NWCC. Northwest Cycling Club is awesome. Great country roads out west of the city every Saturday!
Mindcrime is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Nate65
Northern California
6
03-15-16 01:53 AM
bosoxmrkn
Southern California Regional Rides and Events
3
06-16-15 01:10 AM
rmr1923
Texas
8
02-04-12 09:14 PM
goose70
Road Cycling
1
08-10-11 04:13 PM
Aylwin
Northern California
7
07-30-10 11:23 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.