Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Commuting in Thunderstorms?

Notices

Commuting in Thunderstorms?

Old 04-14-10, 09:49 PM
  #1  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
Thread Starter
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,682

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Commuting in Thunderstorms?

The DFW area has a 40% chance of rain & thunderstorms during the ride home time tomorrow. Anyone gonna brave them?

I'm thinkin' about it....
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 04-14-10, 10:40 PM
  #2  
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Posts: 11,739
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not commuting, but a 40% chance of thunderstorms means a 60% chance of not.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline  
Old 04-14-10, 10:44 PM
  #3  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
Thread Starter
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,682

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know. Plus, the last few times they've predicted nasty stuff, it never happened.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 04-14-10, 10:44 PM
  #4  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
Thread Starter
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,682

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Plus... I want to try out my new Schwalbe Marathons.

__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 05:12 AM
  #5  
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 11,532

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 12 Posts
I'm planning on doing a club ride if the weather looks favorable. I've got caught in a couple massive downpours in the past, not fun.
cuda2k is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 07:24 AM
  #6  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
Thread Starter
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,682

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wimped out. Yesterday afternoon Intellicast said 30% chance of thundershowers during the 4-5 pm timeframe. By bedtime last night it was up to 40% over a larger timeframe. This morning it was up to 50% from 2 pm to 8 pm. Ehhhhh.... maybe not. I don't like the trend.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 08:43 AM
  #7  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 24,863

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
I much rather examine the looping radar before trusting what the weathermen say

https://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?region=sat&animate=true
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 08:47 AM
  #8  
chevy42083
steel lover
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,316

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everytime i avoid Tstorms, it's beautiful out. I tend to wimp out on commuting in them.... but ride in them all the time. When an earlier forecast says storms, I'll sometimes get up, get ready, and head out without checking just so i have no excuses

I didn't ride today cause I'm resting legs for a trip to the velodrome.... REALLY hoping the velodrome isn't wet tonight.
<houston BTW>
chevy42083 is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 09:17 AM
  #9  
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
Thread Starter
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,682

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My problem is that when my commute was 7 miles I got into the mindset that riding to work was my default and drove on an exception basis. Now that it's 17 miles, I just don't have that level of commitment.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 09:35 AM
  #10  
apacherider
Borracho For Life
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Taos, NM
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only time to be worried is when you are faced with large amounts of lightning and hail, in the open. Usually those storms do not last long, anyway. 10 minutes later, you can ride again.
apacherider is offline  
Old 04-15-10, 07:26 PM
  #11  
nkfrench 
Senior Member
 
nkfrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,846

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I'd only go for it if you have SAG options. Have gotten caught a couple of times, temps dropped 15 degrees in an instant, winds gusting to 40mph, streets were flooded 6" deep in the right lane, cars had extremely poor visibility. Fortunately I was not on a tight timeline that evening and I was in an area where I got shelter for me and the bike and several kind souls did offer me a ride despite my drenched/bedraggled appearance.
nkfrench is offline  
Old 04-16-10, 06:57 PM
  #12  
gresam
Superdrome
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dallas Suburb
Posts: 107

Bikes: 2008 Ridley Damocles, 2000 Pinarello Galileo, 2007 Brass Knuckle, 87 Fuso Fixie & 90s Powerlite BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode in today, no rain. I've ridden in some bad weather before but if I know there are T-storms I park it or am just very careful if I am trying to get home. Sitting on a chunk of metal or carbon is not a good idea with lightning in the area... Remember that 40% means 40% coverage, not 40% chance...
gresam is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
InTheRain
Commuting
0
12-05-17 11:05 PM
acidfast7
Commuting
81
07-02-14 06:34 PM
MijnWraak
Commuting
25
08-25-11 02:18 PM
Snowsurfer
Commuting
42
07-28-11 10:53 AM
rumrunn6
General Cycling Discussion
9
12-27-10 01:03 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.